To Tip or not to Tip?

In all my trips to DW I have noticed that you have the same mousekeepper 3 out of 4 days but I think it best to tip each day. When we first went to the world I only left a large tip at the end of my stay but as I got more Disney savy I tipped each day and yes I do get very good service that way. I make sure I have the right dollar breakdown before I leave home.

Originally posted by milmore104
I know people say carry your own bags but it's hard when you are carrying a one year old! I just don't understand who and when you should tip someone. I mean do I really have to tip everyone that touches our bags? Or like at the hotel do they split tips at the days end?

The airport porters do not pool tips. If you don't want to tip them, then figure out another way of managing your bags. If you can't handle your bags and child, and accept assistance, you should expect to compensate the person who helps you.

Anne

Originally posted by Twinsplus1

I can't speak for all restaurants but I was a trainer at a national chain steakhouse and can tell you that 8% of each servers nightly sale is reported as earned income (tip).
That would be the "allocated tips" I mentioned in my post. I have found NO information that states a simular practice in other industries (such as housekeepers, bellmen, taxi drivers etc).

I too agree that it is a good idea to tip the maid every day, especially over a weekend when I think they seem to change maids. However, I have actually had times when I had mousekeeping envelopes printed and stuffed, left them on the pillow or night stand (I can't remember where) and the maid did not take the tip. Sometimes, I leave it on the vanity area instead so it stands out more. But I figure if she's making the bed, she'd have to move the envelope. She did move it, but just over to the dresser and left it. Anyone else ever have this happen??:confused: Where do you usually leave your mousekeeping tip? Oh, I also think you get better attention from the maid if you tip everyday.

As for the luggage, I usually try to travel light and handle my own luggage. That way I can avoid the confusion over tipping the bellman. It's not that I'm cheap, but sometimes it's a little overwhelming with the number of people that actually "touch" your bags.

Milmore104,

I agree with you on your sentiments. While some have expressed on this board that tipping is always optional, there is always a certain obligation to tip regardless. I don't have anything against the bell-person, or valet, but like others have said, you have to tip twice just to get your bags to the room. And they do try to swoop your bags up on a cart before you really have a chance to say no thanks...so then you're left having to tip maybe $5 or $10 to get your bags to your room. I have nothing against the work that was just done on my behalf, so I am not trying to send a message to them if I don't tip, I just feel frustrated that it is the usual and customary thing to do. Like you said, we are paying enough for our vacation. It would be nice if tips were built into the prices somewhat.

I don't consider myself a cheap person by any means. I just don't feel that carrying my bags on a cart is something that I need to 'judge' how well it was done, and tip accordingly. It's something that is a part of somebody's job description, and they should be paid accordingly.

We generally try to avoid the whole bags-to-your-room part and try to do it ourselves, but we have got caught in it once or twice by an over-aggressive bell-boy. We have at times still said 'no thanks' but there are just some times when you feel it will draw negative attention to you, so you just have to go with it.

Just my 2 cents!

Originally posted by las3888
It's something that is a part of somebody's job description, and they should be paid accordingly.
I agree 100% with this. All workers should be paid according to what the expectations of their job. Leaving tipping to be done only as a thank you, not as a costomary requirement of the pattron. IMO, tipping should only be done when the worker goes above and beyond what is in their "job description."

I have a question regarding turn down service tipping. We will be at Polynesian Concierge in a few weeks and it will be our first experience with concierge and turn-down. I am under the impression that the people who do turn down are not your regular housekeeper. So, I'd imagine you tip both but say you are at the park all day, how would leave a tip for the housekeeper and a tip for turn down so that each gets theirs? I too have left $ in a "mousekeeper" envelope only to have it moved and not taken.

Also, if you call to request an iron or extra towels, should uyou tip the person bringing it to your room and if so how much?

Thanks,
Wendy

Originally posted by Wendy_Darling_2001
Also, if you call to request an iron or extra towels, should uyou tip the person bringing it to your room and if so how much?

Sorry ... I don't know about tipping the turn-down service :(. If I ask for anything to be delivered to my room, towels, iron, coffee maker, etc I always tip the delivery person $2. On the same vein, I do not tip extra for room service as gratuity is already included in the charge to my room.

To las3888,
You said exactly what I was trying to get across. I know people say you don't have to tip but that you more or less feel obligated to tip everyone. It's like when you have your pizza delivered I feel I have to tip them well for fear if I don't who knows wha tthey will do to my food the next time it comes!
I don't want people to think I'm a cheapskate because by all means I'm not. I do tip well very well actually it's just that i feel you really need to go that extra mile. But then I run into the problem w/ doesn't anybody do things just to be nice anymore?
I just don't understand why I should have to tip bellman for carrying my bags when that is their job. That is why their there and that's what they get paid for!

why I should have to tip bellman for carrying my bags when that is their job. That is why their there and that's what they get paid for!
and the form of their payment is tips.

You may not like it, it may not be fair but TIPS ARE THE METHOD OF PAYMENT FOR tipped positions.

I'm glad you think alike, milmore104. Some things should be rewarded, but I don't necessarily feel that tipping is necessary for getting your bags to your room or even for housekeeping to clean your room. I do hope they are compensated fairly for what they do, because I don't think it is an easy task.

I just feel sorry for those who pull up to the Disney resort with a car full of kids and luggage. We've all seen them before...they have tons and tons of bags and gear. They HAVE to use the services of a bellman, and with all of their gear, at the customary $1/bag or whatever the rule of thumb is, it must cost them a fortune just to get it to their room. Not really fair to them, seeing as they just don't really have much of a choice.

People should really just be doing their jobs, like you said, and getting paid for that. After all, I am in a service role at a large company, and I don't get tips for doing my job. People should want to be helpful and they should understand they are in a service role, and being friendly and helpful should be a prerequisite for the job, not something we need to ensure that we, the customer, receive by tipping.

At WDW in the Contemporary and AKL, we took envelopes, tip money, etc... but never felt the housekeeping service warranted a tip. We are talking a barely adequate job - not that I cared, but nothing that I would tip for. Now on a recent trip to Myrtle Beach, we had a young man from Slovakia cleaning our room who was so, so nice, asking us about our stay, giving extra towels etc... that we gave him $20 for 5 people for 3 nights. And one of those days he didn't even clean the room, just gave the towels because we were in there. Still, we were quite impressed with him. So for us, bellmen and waitstaff always get tipped, but housekeeping, since it is officially a non-tipped position, only gets a tip if they impress us.

Originally posted by las3888
I just feel sorry for those who pull up to the Disney resort with a car full of kids and luggage. We've all seen them before...they have tons and tons of bags and gear. They HAVE to use the services of a bellman, and with all of their gear, at the customary $1/bag or whatever the rule of thumb is, it must cost them a fortune just to get it to their room. Not really fair to them, seeing as they just don't really have much of a choice.

They have plenty of choice. First, if they have THAT MUCH, then they are probably overpacking. They can have one person wait with the bags while the other checks in and then take shifts hauling it all to the room. If they use a bellhop to cart their stuff, they need to tip, and tip appropriately. Period. If they can't afford to or don't want to tip the bell man, they need to figure out a way to move their own stuff.

Anne

Well said Anne--
las3888--If you think people should get paid for doing their jobs than YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TIP since tipping IS THE WAY THEY GET PAID. There is no other way of looking at it. People who knowingly fail to to tip a "tipped position" ARE SAYING SOMEONE SHOULD WORK FOR THEM FOR FREE. It's really that simple.

I asked this on the transortation board but maybe I should ask it here instead (sorry).

I've been reading alot about tipping, who you tip and how much. The only position I haven't read about is a town car driver. Just wondering when you use a town car service from MCO to WDW, how do you handle the tip? Do you tip half at pick up and the other half when you are dropped back off at the airport or just one way? What percent do you recommend? 10-20%?

I didn't realize that this is how they get paid? I thought that they got a minimum salary. And that tips were like a bonus! Well then I see why I should tip the bellman. thank you for telling me this cinmell. Is there anywhere I can find out who else has this kind of salary?

Originally posted by cinmell
I asked this on the transortation board but maybe I should ask it here instead (sorry).

I've been reading alot about tipping, who you tip and how much. The only position I haven't read about is a town car driver. Just wondering when you use a town car service from MCO to WDW, how do you handle the tip? Do you tip half at pick up and the other half when you are dropped back off at the airport or just one way? What percent do you recommend? 10-20%?

I tip $10 each way (and extra if I have lots of luggage or make a longer grocery stop). I do it at the end of each leg, as the driver you have on the way to WDW might not be the same one you have on the way back to the airport.

Anne

millmore104- there was aprevious thread about tipping bellman and baggage handlers. they do get a salary also. I asked the person to explain how they get paid and he gave me a salary range that they make which was between $36,000-$$44,000- this includes tips. After his reply, I decided I wasn't going to worry so much about all these tips. Heck, teachers, policemen, firefighters don't even make that much. JMO

Originally posted by Lewisc
If you think people should get paid for doing their jobs than YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TIP since tipping IS THE WAY THEY GET PAID. There is no other way of looking at it. People who knowingly fail to to tip a "tipped position" ARE SAYING SOMEONE SHOULD WORK FOR THEM FOR FREE. It's really that simple.

Just curious ... when did giving someone a gratuity (tip) become mandatory? These people are paid wages to perform a service. The gratuity is, at least for me, a way of saying thank you for exceptional service. Disney is their employer, I am the GUEST. They are there to serve me, but I am not there to pay them.

Originally posted by loriencke
they get paid and he gave me a salary range that they make which was between $36,000-$$44,000- this includes tips. After his reply, I decided I wasn't going to worry so much about all these tips. Heck, teachers, policemen, firefighters don't even make that much. JMO

Huh? Starting pay for a first year teacher around here is $45k, more if they have a masters or special certifications! Police start at about $48k, our fire fighters are volunteers, so it doesn't apply. I think you've got an unrealistic feel of what people make.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter