Tomorrowland expansion

I’m all for this idea... or rumor

I dislike all of the attractions that are being replaced. "Stitch" is a cheap overlay of the past attractions that used to reside in its building (Alien Encounters). Everyone of the attractions that came before it are much better.

"Monsters Inc" is a silly kids show with corny jokes, bad effects and hard seats. Also it doesn’t fit the theme of Tomorrowland either. What does Monsters have to do with the future? Are we going to be taken over by monsters ala Planet of the Apes?

And last but certainly not least "Speedway" has always been awful. Who wants to control a car that is attached to a track. It’s not fun at all and much like Laugh Floor it doesn’t fit the theme of the land.

You're forgetting however that MK, out of all the parks is primarily designed for kids, not you ;) And most kids LOVE car rides like that. My kids did it a few times. They also loved Monster Inc., and did that 2x in one day. And I can tell you that there were many, many other kids that loved both of those.

Can't speak for Stitch as we didn't do that one.

I think it'd be awesome if Tesla sponsored an update of the Speedway with electric cars but that's never happening.

I know trust the shovels but something is happening with Tomorrowland. Stitch is on it's last legs so at the very least they'll do something there.

Can we assume that if something is going to happen, it would be done for the 50th? Do we really think that they would ditch Speedway, one of the originals?

I can only tell you what I have seen from other more reputable insiders say...

3) By all reports there are three options for speedway - 1) revamp and left as speedway, 2) Speedway gone, and two attractions take its spot, 3) Tron ride of some kind, but by most insiders the cycle inside roller coaster has been dismissed.

I somehow doubt they will do away with Speedway. I can see a revamp, but not a complete removal. The ride has been there since opening day, and is still a popular ride with kids.

Can we assume that if something is going to happen, it would be done for the 50th? Do we really think that they would ditch Speedway, one of the originals?
Yes and yes. Autopia/Speedway just takes up a ton of space that could be better utilized. I'm a speedway fan but it seems they will be doing something with that.

Yes and yes. Autopia/Speedway just takes up a ton of space that could be better utilized. I'm a speedway fan but it seems they will be doing something with that.

That's disappointing really (about Speedway). Once upon a time, somewhere on here, someone was talking about the possibility of a Mickey-redo of the ride, I do think that would be good. Would there be a way to increase capacity so it's more productive?

I would be fine with getting rid of Buzz. Seems kinda pointless to have that there, with an almost identical (but much better) ride over at DHS.

Tomorrowland is an odd section. A lot of it doesn't keep with the theme.

The only two attractions I would miss are Buzz Lightyear and the People Mover.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg used to have a ride like the Speedway. It was so much better. It had great theming and you drove through beautifully landscaped areas. The Speedway is a very sad version in comparison. I don't remember it's there half the time. I have no idea the last time I actually rode it.

I think it'd be awesome if Tesla sponsored an update of the Speedway with electric cars but that's never happening.
Given Tesla's cash burn rate, they do not have a dollar to sponsor a kid's lemonade stand. They seem able to raise unlimitrd money through equity at will, but that doesn't stop them from constantly needing more. I doubt you will see any non-direct business cash use anytime soon.

Given Tesla's cash burn rate, they do not have a dollar to sponsor a kid's lemonade stand. They seem able to raise unlimitrd money through equity at will, but that doesn't stop them from constantly needing more. I doubt you will see any non-direct business cash use anytime soon.

Hence why I said that's never happening.

You're forgetting however that MK, out of all the parks is primarily designed for kids, not you ;) And most kids LOVE car rides like that. My kids did it a few times. They also loved Monster Inc., and did that 2x in one day. And I can tell you that there were many, many other kids that loved both of those.

Can't speak for Stitch as we didn't do that one.

I completely disagree. I don't believe that only kids should be able to enjoy Magic Kingdom. It is a park for the whole family. Adults plan all year for their vacations because we love it. My favorite rides in the whole park are Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain, which can be enjoyed by everyone.

Walt Disney himself envisioned on a park bench a place where Families can be entertained, not just the littles ones. The whole family isn't enjoying the waste of space speedway.

and yes Stitch stinks too.

Last edited:
I wonder if you could replace the Speedway cars with electric vehicles– and then build something on *top* of it? (or even just part of it.)

Lose the noise and fumes, add rain protection and some darkness. Maybe it's even dark enough to TRON it up a little. Then do something lightweight on top, like meet and greets or elevated dining. They stacked the Astro Orbiter on top of food and the Peoplemover, so why not?

Stacking would go a long way towards making that space more efficient.

I completely disagree. I don't believe that only kids should be able to enjoy Magic Kingdom. It is a park for the whole family. Adults plan all year for their vacations because we love it. My favorite rides in the whole park are Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain, which can be enjoyed by everyone.

Walt Disney himself envisioned on a park bench a place where Families can be entertained, not just the littles ones. The whole family isn't enjoying the waste of space speedway.

and yes Stitch stinks too.

I'm wondering if you actually read what I said. Nowhere did I say "only kids should be able to enjoy". I said that (whether you like it or not) that park in particular was designed "primarily" with kids in mind.

Just so we're clear, primarily means "for the most part, mainly", but not exclusively or solely.

Yes, he wanted something the whole family could enjoy, but ultimately that meant creating a children's theme park that adults could also enjoy.

Just because your family doesn't enjoy it doesn't mean the majority also don't. And vive versa just because we do doesn't mean the majority does, but given the huge popularity of that style ride in every place I've ever been, and the long lines that Speedway generates, I highly doubt it's disliked by the majority.

I do however wish it had better/different theming, such as someone else mentioned above.

When we went to WDW years ago for my little boy's second trip, the ONLY ride he was looking forward to was the RACE CARS THAT HE COULD DRIVE. Taking them out altogether would be a BIG mistake. Modify it, reduce it in size, whatever; but don't take it out.

to be honest, they'll probably keep the speedway (despite it not really fitting tomorrowland), because it draws pretty good crowds and kids absolutely love driving 'em. i hope they fix up the landscaping sometime soon, but at the very least... they could make the cars electric so that they can get rid of that awful gasoline smell and those noisy engines...

but i wouldn't really mind if they gutted most of tomorrowland and completely renovated the whole shebang, like the OP was saying. the only must-keep attractions would be the peoplemover, the carousel, and space mountain, y'know? it's a pipe dream, sure, but i suppose stitch getting kicked out is a start

to be honest, they'll probably keep the speedway (despite it not really fitting tomorrowland), because it draws pretty good crowds and kids absolutely love driving 'em. i hope they fix up the landscaping sometime soon, but at the very least... they could make the cars electric so that they can get rid of that awful gasoline smell and those noisy engines...

but i wouldn't really mind if they gutted most of tomorrowland and completely renovated the whole shebang, like the OP was saying. the only must-keep attractions would be the peoplemover, the carousel, and space mountain, y'know? it's a pipe dream, sure, but i suppose stitch getting kicked out is a start

it gives the appearance of drawing good crowds because the riders per hour (500ish) is fairly low compared to most attractions. The acreage available on a speedway demo is equivalent to the space taken up by Stitch, Monsters, Buzz, CoP and Astro Orbiter combined. I could easily see 2 or 3 new attractions occupying that area each with a higher ride capacity.

it gives the appearance of drawing good crowds because the riders per hour (500ish) is fairly low compared to most attractions. The acreage available on a speedway demo is equivalent to the space taken up by Stitch, Monsters, Buzz, CoP and Astro Orbiter combined. I could easily see 2 or 3 new attractions occupying that area each with a higher ride capacity.

hmm, i hadn't considered that... maybe if the imagineers come up with something more efficient and just as appealing as the speedway they can finally put it on the chopping block. tomorrowland doesn't seem like an area of focus at the moment, either way

They need to add some Wall-E up in that mug. Make it a dark ride omni-mover type where each car looks like those floating white fat seats from the movie, and you can take a Horizons type tour of the futuristic space cruiser.

And then start printing your money!

If they take out Buzz we protest. (Like that ever helps.) Buzz isn't really like that other ride other than it's a game with Toy Story theming. The games are actually quite different.

Buzz could use a redo though.

I'm wondering if you actually read what I said. Nowhere did I say "only kids should be able to enjoy". I said that (whether you like it or not) that park in particular was designed "primarily" with kids in mind.

Just so we're clear, primarily means "for the most part, mainly", but not exclusively or solely.

Yes, he wanted something the whole family could enjoy, but ultimately that meant creating a children's theme park that adults could also enjoy.

I did read what you said and I think you're wrong. The park is PRIMARILY for the whole family, not PRIMARILY for kids. Any age can love Star Wars, Disney films, Pixar, Marvel and Avatar. The only thing that is PRIMARILY for kids is Disney Junior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter