Tomorrowland expansion

Wow, how long ago was this? I have been going since 1981 and don't recall these water features. Looks cool

Yep, Umichigan is correct, for some reason it was demo'd in 94. I don't why, it was really beautiful. Maybe they wanted to go with more of a boring theming for the entry way. Hopefully they'll bring it back with some lighting effects.

Yep, Umichigan is correct, for some reason it was demo'd in 94. I don't why, it was really beautiful. Maybe they wanted to go with more of a boring theming for the entry way. Hopefully they'll bring it back with some lighting effects.
If you look at photos from the time it looked really outdated (not really the waterfalls but the architecture as a whole) so it makes sense they ditched it. I'd welcome a more modernized return though

If you look at photos from the time it looked really outdated (not really the waterfalls but the architecture as a whole) so it makes sense they ditched it. I'd welcome a more modernized return though

Oh yeah, Disneys putting projections and lights on everything. Picture what "World of Color" like things they could do with the Tomorrowland waterfalls.

Last edited:

Tron looks like the favorite out of the 2 coasters. Disney's very excited about their Tron reboot possibly starring Jared Leto.

Out of "Ralph" and "Incredibles", it hasn't been decided. It all depends on which one can make them more money.

Tron looks like the favorite out of the 2 coasters. Disney's very excited about their Tron reboot possibly starring Jared Leto.

Out of "Ralph" and "Incredibles", it hasn't been decided. It all depends on which one can make them more money.
okay, couple of questions..

First I thought the Tron reboot has been killed? I could have sworn I read that.
Secondly, we have multiple insiders who have CONFIRMED that Tron Coaster is not an option at WDW MK. Now some type of tron ride I believe has not been ruled out.

I also there seems to be much higher fan interest in WiR2 and Incredibles 2 than anything Tron coming again. I find it very hard they will expand Tron prior to any other film being made.

The problem with Tomorrowland is tomorrow insists on becoming today. A Jules Verne or some sort of fantasy version of sci-fi would age much better than their repeated attempts to keep it looking futuristic.

As for the rides themselves, my family rates them this way -
We don't ride Space Mountain, but it's a classic.
I know Carousel of Progress is low tech and a bit corny, but with its history it is practically a historical monument. Let it lie.
Buzz is a favorite, but could use a brush up. And I wish they made it easier to tell which dot is yours.
AstroOrbiter is a carnival ride. Who cares.
PeopleMover - Touch it and I keeel you.
Monsters Inc is fun and we like it, but wouldn't mourn it if something new came in. To be honest it has always had a placeholder feel to it.
Stitch... well, we actually like Stitch. It's not a favorite, but my husband loves the character. Still, it is disliked by enough people that we know it won't last much longer.
As for the Speedway, here's an idea. Put a Radiator Springs Racers there and declare it part of Fantasyland.

It doesn't matter what exactly it is in my book but tomorrowland needs another big draw. The best suggestion I've seen by a PP(and the most expensive so it won't happen) is covering the speedway, changing the power of the cars to something without exhaust, and building something on top of it. It would make the speedway cooler (figuratively and literally) and make space for something else

First I thought the Tron reboot has been killed? I could have sworn I read that.
I read that a couple months ago as well. Between all the Marvel and Star Wars tentpole films, not to mention their animation, Disney indicated they have enough films coming out in the near future

okay, couple of questions..

Secondly, we have multiple insiders who have CONFIRMED that Tron Coaster is not an option at WDW MK. Now some type of tron ride I believe has not been ruled out.

I also there seems to be much higher fan interest in WiR2 and Incredibles 2 than anything Tron coming again. I find it very hard they will expand Tron prior to any other film being made.

Just from a quick search, here's what I can find:

May 29th, 2015 - The Hollywood Reporter reported that Disney was not moving forward with Tron 3

July 30th, 2015 - SlashFilm talked to Bruce Boxleitner about Tron 3 who said, "I'm done with it. I've moved on." after championing the Tron franchise for decades

August 8th, 2016 - Screenrant reported that Brigham Taylor (Disney exec) was still hopefully Tron 3 would happen

March 1st, 2017 - Tron: Legacy director Joseph Kosinski told Collider that, "...TRON 3 is in cryogenic freeze. So, it’s there. It’s not dead. It’s alive, but it’s sitting there, waiting for the right time to move forward."

March 3rd, 2017 - Variety reported that Leto was in early talks with Disney abut staring in Tron 3

And that's what I've found. I'm sure there is much more on it, the sequel has bee "in development" since 2010/2011. It did take almost 30 years to get Tron: Legacy. I'm sure at some point (who knows when) Tron 3 will get made.

I'd rather see a Captain Nemo/20,000 leagues ride. I think it could be really awesome looking with cooler vehicles. Plus I don't like anything Jared Letos involved in after his awful portrayal of the Joker. It was basically Scarface with face paint.

I'd rather see a Captain Nemo/20,000 leagues ride. I think it could be really awesome looking with cooler vehicles. Plus I don't like anything Jared Letos involved in after his awful portrayal of the Joker. It was basically Scarface with face paint.
I think there's an overseas Disney park that has a 20,000 leagues simulator but I could be wrong. I think it was planned at least

I think there's an overseas Disney park that has a 20,000 leagues simulator but I could be wrong. I think it was planned at least

Yeah, they do and it looks really cool, but I probably couldn't ride it. I'd feel too claustrophobic during the ride. How do you say "Sorry for puking on you" in Japanese. Oh well, it's probably best for me to just skip it.

image.png

One of the problems in looking at these expansions is that everyone only wants E-ticket attractions. Some of the longest lines are on the kids rides and the whole family rides. The older crowd definitely enjoys the thrill rides, and there's nothing wrong with that. But, if there were a few more C and D level rides, people may enjoy the park experience far more, especially if they could eat more people than Astro Orbiters and speedway. The other thing Disney could work harder at, is pulling people out of MK to their other properties. Tomorrowland could improve with just 2 or 3 small additions, rather than one big addition. Something themed around Wall-E could be fun, or perhaps Meet the Robinsons (although that is a little out of date now). Or, go with a whole new story that isn't connected to a current IP.

One of the challenges facing these expansions though, is that the powers that be seem to keep scaling back the projects, and in doing that, they lose a lot of the ride capacity for the new additions. Pandora lost a ride from the original concept, and that costs you 2-3,000 people per hour. New Fantasyland lost 30-45 second on 7DMT (which cost you at least one car on the tracks) and a whole ride from its original concept, likely costing you 3-4,000 riders in total. These are opportunities to absorb park guests into neat attractions that are likely lost forever and now they need even more additions to handle the people that keep coming in.

It just hit me today that this is not *total* pie in the sky. I wonder if Universal's Nintendo land, with its Mario Kart attraction, will cause Disney to kick the Speedway up a few notches?

I am surprised they haven't incorporated "Miles from Tomorrowland" into Tomorrowland at all. The show is set in the same "universe" as Space Mountain and the People Mover. That "immersion" is now ruined when Buzz, Monsters Inc and Stitch came in.

They should go back to having those attractions in the "spaceport" buildings be not tied to a Disney movie and make it an immersive feeling of being in a spaceport like the intended with the 1990s remake of Tomorrowland.

The speedway just needs to go. Those rides were fun in the 70s and 80s, but now? You can find indoor and outdoor go-karts for kids of all ages in any major city or tourist destination that are electric powered and are a lot more exciting to drive.

I mean .. I remember these old "cars on rails" from various amusement parks I went to as a child ... but in those they were appropriately Antique Cars because they would "putt putt" along.

What about a combo? Keep the track for Tomorrowland Speedway, re-model it a little bit, and make it Tron themed? Instead of cars, make them motorcycles that go a bit faster, but not too fast as to scare the children. It can be a two person motorcycle... or a motorcycle with a sidecar...:rotfl:

I think a Tron attraction would breathe some much needed life into Tomorrowland. I love Tomorrowland, but the Speedway doesn't feel appropriate to the theming of this section.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter