• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tower of Terror 10 Miler 2014

Look at posts #755 and #757 on this thread and you'll see the poster mention they saw the medal with the green ribbon on a closed facebook page,when this was posted I looked and found it,now it's just impossible to find it seems.I actually kinda hope it doesn't end up being that one as I didn't love it.

Look at posts #755 and #757 on this thread and you'll see the poster mention they saw the medal with the green ribbon on a closed facebook page,when this was posted I looked and found it,now it's just impossible to find it seems.I actually kinda hope it doesn't end up being that one as I didn't love it.
I wasn't saying your wrong, just said it hasn't been released yet, and you may be mistaken, but I haven't seen it, that poster said it was from EE expo, they wouldn't have it at EE expo and not for every expo after. Just don't think anyone should state this is what it is until it's officially shown.

If this is your first race, relax and enjoy it. There is going to be a strong involuntary tendency to start off fast, everyone comes out sprinting from the start, but it's a good way to get out of sorts and tire quickly. Start at a comfortable pace and negative splits are great. You'll run a faster time (depending on the weather) than you think. A race and other runners are great motivators.

Does anyone have the link for last year's corral times handy??

Thanks.

I kept this advice in mind today as I was standing on the starting line. Then the guy says we will be starting in 5 minutes as he was waiting for the other distances to line up at their starting lines. So, I started playing with my phone to start my music over and my runkeeper app. All of a sudden he says we are ready to go. So, I had to run and get my phone going and stop to get it back on my arm. I was so pissed. Not a way to start your first race.

I almost didn't even go as I came down with a head cold Friday. I felt crappy yesterday. But, I told myself I would run the race if I didn't have a fever this morning. I didn't, so I ran it. My time was 56:07. Pace was 9:02 min/mi. I finished 4th in my age group and 35th overall. Not sure how many ran but was into the hundreds.

I was shocked as I have never run this fast in my training runs and never actually run more than 5.3 miles in any of my training runs. The description of the race said it was a flat course and we'd be running on the oldest road in the country, which is along the ocean. We did neither and it was full of hills.

I think running with other people pushed me because I hardly walked any of the race whereas my training runs I walk a decent amount.

I am not sure if my results will be accepted as POT as the website does not seem to have the results on there. I thought they did. Thankfully I took a pic of my results at the race. I emailed them to runDisney tonight. Hopefully they accept them.

If not, I at least learned some lessons today and got the experience of the run. I think my first race being at Disney and 11,000 people would have been overwhelming.

I learned my mind has been holding me back all these years. When I first joined this thread I said I was nervous doing this race because I wasn't built to be a runner. Someone thankfully corrected me. Well, I saw quite a few people with that "runner's look" and I finished ahead of a few of them. Clearly my fears have been holding me back in life. I am also proud of myself because I didn't use my cold as a reason to skip the race and chicken out. I would have in the past, which is how I got fat and out of shape in the first place.

I did hurt my foot though. Not sure when as my legs were numb the last 1/2 so I couldn't feel anything. I have been icing it. Hopefully I am not sidelined too long.

Thank you to everyone for your support and encouragement along the way. None of this would be possible without you guys as I would have given up a long time ago.

I've actually found the opposite to be true - they keep giving me estimated finish times FASTER than what my PoT shows! I submitted a 1:16:23 10K and was given an estimated finish of 2:01:00 last year. Odd, but I happily took it :)

I would take it too but that doesn't make sense. It makes sense a person might slow down the longer the race gets. That's weird.

I'm 100% certain I saw the 2014 TOT 10 miler with a lime green ribbon with black stripes,somebody else mentioned they saw the medal with a green ribbon and I searched all over the place and found a pic.This was probably at least around a month ago and since then that pic has dissapeared from the internet.Who knows if that's the final design of the ribbon as I've seen pics of the 20th anniversary WDW marathon online with a gray ribbon when it ended up being red.The point is its true it hasn't been officially revealed but trust me that that picture I saw was out there,and it wasn't just me who saw it.I'll keep searching,maybe It'll turn up.

::yes:: Yep, I saw it - the pic, I mean, not the actual medal. Does this work?
1010871_10100648066646304_5068705300613843907_n.jpg

Sorry it's gigantic - not my pic so I can't fix it!

... they wouldn't have it at EE expo and not for every expo after.
:rotfl: runDisney?! Oh, I can quite easily see them do this, actually! Not always the most organized organization. ;)

I would take it too but that doesn't make sense. It makes sense a person might slow down the longer the race gets. That's weird.
Hence my firm belief that corral placement is determined by Magic 8-Ball :rotfl2:

::yes:: Yep, I saw it - the pic, I mean, not the actual medal. Does this work? Sorry it's gigantic - not my pic so I can't fix it! :rotfl: runDisney?! Oh, I can quite easily see them do this, actually! Not always the most organized organization. ;) Hence my firm belief that corral placement is determined by Magic 8-Ball :rotfl2:

Ok I am eating crow for lunch today lol, I apologise to Doom, again was not saying you were lying, I had searched also and didn't find one so when that new pic from RunDisney came out, I thought maybe you may have seen another races medal as a mistake. I personally like it! Green kind of goes with the villains theme.

Awesome work - CONGRATULATIONS! :woohoo:

Thanks. I'm pretty excited. My foot hurts still today. Kinda bummed because now I might have a to skip running tomorrow.

BTW, thanks for the picture of the medal. If it happens to be the actual metal I kinda like the green too. But, I don't really care about what color the ribbon is and stuff like that. The feeling I got as I approached the finish line yesterday was way more important than the medal or color of the ribbon.

Having said that, I'm sure the Disney medals are much nicer than the one I got yesterday. I can't WAIT to see how Disney does a race now that I have seen one in real life. (Let's face it, Disney isn't real life :)) I am getting very concerned that I may become addicted to these Disney races. How will afford to do so many? Already strongly considering the 2016 Marathon. :)

I may even sign up for a 1/2 marathon in November. Seems to make sense since I will have already done 10 miles just a few weeks before that.

Hence my firm belief that corral placement is determined by Magic 8-Ball :rotfl2:

Maybe it is. To be honest, I couldn't care less which corral I start in. Based on my time yesterday and 4 more months to get ready I am no longer afraid to be swept, which I was when I first signed up. I figured if I was doing it, at least I wanted to finish. I'm concerned about the heat still but you can't control that.

I just want an earlier corral because waiting around to start was driving me crazy yesterday. And, I want to start sooner so I can finish sooner and hopefully get on a ride or two before the lines get too long. Hopefully I can get into the changing tents before they are packed, etc... Other than that, I don't care as long as I finish (without puking hopefully).

I may even sign up for a 1/2 marathon in November. Seems to make sense since I will have already done 10 miles just a few weeks before that.

lol... that's exactly what I did! I figured if I'm doing a 10 miler in October, I may as well not "waste" all that training and go for the half marathon in November. I found a semi-local one that works well for me and have already registered. Fingers crossed.

Congrats on the great 10k experience! My 10k is coming up on June 14th. I hope your foot is better soon :)

Thanks. I'm pretty excited. My foot hurts still today. Kinda bummed because now I might have a to skip running tomorrow. BTW, thanks for the picture of the medal. If it happens to be the actual metal I kinda like the green too. But, I don't really care about what color the ribbon is and stuff like that. The feeling I got as I approached the finish line yesterday was way more important than the medal or color of the ribbon. Having said that, I'm sure the Disney medals are much nicer than the one I got yesterday. I can't WAIT to see how Disney does a race now that I have seen one in real life. (Let's face it, Disney isn't real life :)) I am getting very concerned that I may become addicted to these Disney races. How will afford to do so many? Already strongly considering the 2016 Marathon. :) I may even sign up for a 1/2 marathon in November. Seems to make sense since I will have already done 10 miles just a few weeks before that.

Would this half be in MA? Cuz if so that's a brilliant idea. I might just steal it :lmao:

lol... that's exactly what I did! I figured if I'm doing a 10 miler in October, I may as well not "waste" all that training and go for the half marathon in November. I found a semi-local one that works well for me and have already registered. Fingers crossed.

Congrats on the great 10k experience! My 10k is coming up on June 14th. I hope your foot is better soon :)

Thanks and I wish you luck on your race as well. I'm assuming you are using it for POT to move up your corral. I hope it goes well.

I don't know why I am so nervous to sign up. I mean, if I can do 10 miles in FL heat and humidity I should be able to 13.1 miles a month later in what will probably be 40' temps in MA. Just knowing it is a 1/2 MARATHON seems intimidating.

I'll just take the plunge and do it. I know I will feel great when I cross that finish line too.

Would this half be in MA? Cuz if so that's a brilliant idea. I might just steal it :lmao:

Where in MA are you from?

The race is in MA. My computer isn't working well so I can't paste the link. It's on coolrunning.com. It's in Newton on 11/9. It's called The Chilly Half Marathon. I think it was $55 but comes with pre and post massages. : )

Hope that helps. I think I might take the plunge and sign up today.

Congrats Waitingtogoback! That is actually a pretty good time, really good for a first race. Running is a mental thing, really holds a lot of people back. Glad to see you broke through it. Now, just get used to the heat and humidity of the South and you'll be ready!!

And good luck with the addiction. Right now I'm really into running races, whether it's the medals, which I do love, or the motivation to keep training or just simply the runs themselves, anyway, it's addictive. And Disney, well, is Disney, it's the best of this and the best of that. Truly unique. Quite expensive but truly unique. I don't see how some can run several races a year from far away. I ran my first in january and will do the ToT but only cause I had airline credits for the first go round. I would love to do Star Wars and another WDW race to get the Coast to Coast but that may be it for me. I would perhaps travel to other areas and do some of those amazing races and probably for a good bit cheaper. Just my thoughts. But I do love Disney races!!

Where in MA are you from? The race is in MA. My computer isn't working well so I can't paste the link. It's on coolrunning.com. It's in Newton on 11/9. It's called The Chilly Half Marathon. I think it was $55 but comes with pre and post massages. : ) Hope that helps. I think I might take the plunge and sign up today.

Hah! I'm close to newton. Might have to check that out. Day before my birthday!

Galloway training plans start today! Time to get to work!
my phone alerted me this morning an it bummed me out because I at least have to wait till next Tuesday till after I see the doc about my ankle, it's been giving me trouble since my 10k a few weeks ago

I started the Galloway TOT plan yesterday! I just ordered his book from Amazon too so that I can make sure to do it properly. I'm really pumped! :)

I'm starting Galloway training tonight! This is going to be so different than my Princess half marathon training which was in temps of 40 degrees and under. It's mid 80s today. Yikes!

Thanks and I wish you luck on your race as well. I'm assuming you are using it for POT to move up your corral. I hope it goes well. I don't know why I am so nervous to sign up. I mean, if I can do 10 miles in FL heat and humidity I should be able to 13.1 miles a month later in what will probably be 40' temps in MA. Just knowing it is a 1/2 MARATHON seems intimidating. I'll just take the plunge and do it. I know I will feel great when I cross that finish line too.

Yep, I'm using it for proof of time. I figure anything is better than nothing! As far as the half, I figure it's just another 5k beyond the 10 miler. It doesn't sounds as intimidating when i think of it that way since I've done several 5ks this year already and know I can get through them easily. Of course, none of those 5ks were after running 10 miles but that's ok, I'm sure it will be fine :) Seriously, as long as we put in the training I think the half marathon will be as do-able as the 10 miler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter