Travel Changes?

What the articles don't say is if they think it will be for a period of time or indefinitely.

Sayhello
I wish it did. We'll see when/if the actual policy is announced. But based on the implications of such a bold order, Disney should do the right thing and be VERY flexible with ALL of their clients RIGHT NOW. Yes, even if your trip is as far out as Sept/Oct/Nov/etc. ABD clients are Disney's luxury brand ambassadors. You don't want this crowd to "put on their angry eyes!"

Based on news reports, this pandemic isn't going away any time soon and they can occur in waves. So, I'm not sure how many folks will be interested in travelling as this first appears to subside anyway. My family is in agreement — no travel this summer!! Disney is making a calculation in an attempt to salvage their summer season and we are all caught up in it. I'm a huge Disney fan, but this saddens me.

Surely, surely they will start summer cancellations now.

Again, a quicker action would have made me more amenable to rebooking. If they would have acted more quickly (like DCL), I would have moved my deposit (like I did for DCL). Now, I am just hoping for a refund/cancellation.I hope they are reading this and start making the tough decisions.

I am looking for some advice. My PIF for Scott Dunn is tomorrow. For perspective they are a UK-based company that have rave reviews online.

I have been trying to get them to communicate with me this week to no avail. If I send an e-mail it bounces back saying to bear with them as they try to repatriate guests currently traveling. I have asked to have my PIF moved to April 24th (30 days before departure) or to refund my money (deposit was $5,000.00). However since they are not communicating with me I don't know what to do. Their t&c state that if I don't PIF by the due date then I forfeit my deposit and they will cancel the trip. However they won't answer any communication from me. I have tried calling their phone number but it's impossible to get anyone live. I am stuck in a catch-22 situation.

I have thought about filing a dispute with Chase (I paid the deposit with a Visa), but that would be a last resort and I didn't want to go that route. With a level 4 warning against all foreign travel it is obvious, at least in the US, that travel as early as May, just isn't going to happen. And I don't really want to PIF and have Scott Dunn go bankrupt, then deal with the fallout.

I am looking for some advice. My PIF for Scott Dunn is tomorrow. For perspective they are a UK-based company that have rave reviews online.

I have been trying to get them to communicate with me this week to no avail. If I send an e-mail it bounces back saying to bear with them as they try to repatriate guests currently traveling. I have asked to have my PIF moved to April 24th (30 days before departure) or to refund my money (deposit was $5,000.00). However since they are not communicating with me I don't know what to do. Their t&c state that if I don't PIF by the due date then I forfeit my deposit and they will cancel the trip. However they won't answer any communication from me. I have tried calling their phone number but it's impossible to get anyone live. I am stuck in a catch-22 situation.

I have thought about filing a dispute with Chase (I paid the deposit with a Visa), but that would be a last resort and I didn't want to go that route. With a level 4 warning against all foreign travel it is obvious, at least in the US, that travel as early as May, just isn't going to happen. And I don't really want to PIF and have Scott Dunn go bankrupt, then deal with the fallout.
I wouldn't pay in full. The $5000 is a sunk cost, no point in throwing good $$ after bad.

i definitely wouldn't PIF. That certainly would be throwing good money after bad.
Have you tried calling? Is there a number to call at all?
I would send an email stating exactly what you wrote. That in the current situation, you need to delay the PIF.
I'm saying to write the email, just so you have a paper trail to show Chase when you make the claim for your deposit.

So sorry you are in this situation :( If it were me, I would not PIF based on the risk you mention in your post (i.e., Scott Dunn potentially going BK after you PIF). Better to create a record of the numerous times you have tried to reach out to them about moving your PIF date or changing the dates of your trip, etc. and then fight with them later regarding your deposit. I also wouldn't hesitate to file a dispute with Chase.

I have a Thomson update. My TA just confirmed they are moving our PIF date to 60 days from 90 days. So now our PIF date is April 21, and not March 22. She is still working with them to find out if their new policy about being able to cancel up to 30 days out would apply to our trip and, if so, what time limit there might be as to when we would need to use the travel credit. But I'm hoping we won't be in the position of paying in full on April 20 and then wanting to cancel on or prior to May 20.

Received an email from Thomson Family today (I didn’t write them). My PIF date is in one week. I was offered to postpone my trip for one year without penalty. However, once we are inside 90 days, “there are penalties.” No mention of moving my PIF to 60 days like you received.

Penalty on exchanging my airline tickets is $400 per person (Our family is 7 people). So $2800 to walk away from this for a year

Received an email from Thomson Family today (I didn’t write them). My PIF date is in one week. I was offered to postpone my trip for one year without penalty. However, once we are inside 90 days, “there are penalties.” No mention of moving my PIF to 60 days like you received.

Penalty on exchanging my airline tickets is $400 per person (Our family is 7 people). So $2800 to walk away from this for a year

Maybe call them and ask about moving your PIF date? I'm not sure what contributed to our getting it: the fact that we are past Thomson travelers, that we booked this trip so early , or that we had a TA advocating for us.

Maybe call them and ask about moving your PIF date? I'm not sure what contributed to our getting it: the fact that we are past Thomson travelers, that we booked this trip so early , or that we had a TA advocating for us.

Between the travel insurance and 60 day PIF, there certainly seems to be a two tiered system for sure! Too bad I’m in the lower caste
We have traveled with them only once in the past and booked this trip over 15 months in advance.
Anyway, I’m inclined to walk away at this point.

Between the travel insurance and 60 day PIF, there certainly seems to be a two tiered system for sure! Too bad I’m in the lower caste
We have traveled with them only once in the past and booked this trip over 15 months in advance.
Anyway, I’m inclined to walk away at this point.

Wow! The way you are being treated differently is troubling and hard to figure out. We've only done one prior trip with them as well. So sorry this is happening. And I totally understand why you might be inclined to just walk away. If it were me, I'd still take a run at trying to get the deposit refunded...

I just got off the phone with ABD (no wait!). The Vacationista was incredibly helpful and, as Grotto reported yesterday, they have extended PIFs by 30 days - hurray! That means my SoCal isn't due until late April and Rhine is due mid-May. She also mentioned they would let us move the deposit once prior to PIF, so that is an option as well if I want to move these trips into 2021. I feel a bit relieved!

Wow! The way you are being treated differently is troubling and hard to figure out. We've only done one prior trip with them as well. So sorry this is happening. And I totally understand why you might be inclined to just walk away. If it were me, I'd still take a run at trying to get the deposit refunded...

I have 5 kids and DH who really want to go to Ireland. And I’m losing energy over all of this! I’m almost looking for path of least resistance at this point

As everyone has said:
1. Do not PIF!
2. Document your attempts to contact
3. File a dispute with your VISA

I would add a couple things.
1. Start the dispute now, like today or tomorrow. There are going to be a ton of these with banks due the pandemic, so get in line early.
2. I've disputed two charges in my many, many years of having a credit card. Both went super smooth. My bank was on my side the entire time and took care of everything. Very cool.

One was for a weird international GST tax charge in Italy. The other was for a fraudulent charge from Spirit Airlines that Spirit DISPUTED! Yes, Spirit told my bank the charge was legit even though the names on the tickets were not us and the flights were not anywhere near my home city/state. Spirit Airlines seems super scummy.

So sorry you are in this situation :( If it were me, I would not PIF based on the risk you mention in your post (i.e., Scott Dunn potentially going BK after you PIF). Better to create a record of the numerous times you have tried to reach out to them about moving your PIF date or changing the dates of your trip, etc. and then fight with them later regarding your deposit. I also wouldn't hesitate to file a dispute with Chase.
I have everything documented in e-mails. Including them saying they would call me on Monday at 9:30, then saying their phone lines were down all day so they couldn't call. Promising to call the next day, then too busy dealing with repatriating other customers. Now I haven't heard anything for 3 days and here I am at PIF and no communication from them.

I am going to dispute the charge with Chase. I don't know under what category I will file, but I will ask for their assistance and see what they say.

Which Airline ? If it an European Airline you may get your money back . If paid by Credit Card

you should try that way

THERE are No / very few Flights into Europe SO Advice would be to postpone till 2021

Which Airline ? If it an European Airline you may get your money back . If paid by Credit Card

you should try that way

THERE are No / very few Flights into Europe SO Advice would be to postpone till 2021

United Airlines
Paid with my Chase Sapphire Reserve in August 2019.
I think with the flights, I just need to lay low and hope the flight is canceled. I think I don’t need to make a move on the flight until the week before departure?

I just need to tell Thomson if I’m backing out within the next week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter