trying to figure when to go next year--less crowds?????!!!

Many years ago we used to think the same way---- which month will be the slowest, that's when we will plan to go!

Then that way of thinking changed to---- ok, it is always crowded, let's plan our individual days so we can maximize our time.

In other words, we were there very early, at rope drop, did as much as we could, then we would leave midday for a break during the BUSY time of day, and then we'd return early evening and spend the nighttime there.

Tomorrowland at MK was always slower in the mornings vs the night, and Fantasyland was always slower at night vs the mornings. Ifnit's raining hit the parks anyways, crowds thin out. Instead of getting a spot for a parade, we noticed the lines got smaller. Just a personal observation, and we have treated all 4 parks this way ever since. It is always busy, but there are better times during each day.
We changed our way of thinking too & stopped chasing that elusive low crowd time. We are never disappointed now & it frees us up to go whenever is best.

I just have a hard time with these dire predictions. I know quite a few rabid Star Wars fans, none of them are planning a trip at this time. Everyone else I know has no idea Disney is evening opening this land.

Yes, the Star Wars weekends are crowded with fans, but that's one weekend and everyone comes at same time. Outside of the park opening, everyone isn't going to schedule their trip at the same time.

Yes, I think first couple months at DHS will be crazy, and I think the new rides will have hours long waits for years, but I don't think it will be a madhouse everywhere else, just normal to a bit higher crowds.

Just my opinion!

OP - we are going first/second week of May 2020. May The Force Be With Us! :D
Idk all of the Star Wars ppl I know have trips planned for the end of the yr. And a brief read of the GE threads seems like it will be crazy.

Star Wars has a fanbase that’s been growing for 40 plus years. To say that won’t change the game means you’re in denial.

:rotfl:

Nobody here is in denial. Everyone agrees DHS will be crowded and the ride lines will be long for months to years.
I just don't think that the whole of Disney World will be forever changed by the throngs of Star Wars fans that will apparently be descending in droves month after month for years to come.

I'd be more worried about Disneyland...

Then again I'm the one person that's always saying "I thought it was great!" while others are saying it was the worst week ever.

(I won't even get into the argument that in fact, I think the fan-base is actually dwindling...)

Nobody here is in denial. Everyone agrees DHS will be crowded and the ride lines will be long for months to years.
I just don't think that the whole of Disney World will be forever changed by the throngs of Star Wars fans that will apparently be descending in droves month after month for years to come.

Then again I'm the one person that's always saying "I thought it was great!" while others are saying it was the worst week ever.

(I won't even get into the argument that in fact, I think the fan-base is actually dwindling...)

It might not change for YOU, but my favorite park is HS. It will change forever for ME. You don’t speak for everyone.

Many people who visit regularly feel the way I do, though.

It might not change for YOU, but my favorite park is HS. It will change forever for ME. You don’t speak for everyone.

Many people who visit regularly feel the way I do, though.

I'm not speaking for everyone, that's why I said "I just don't think...", I see "I" all over my post.

Anyways, nothing to get upset about.

I'm not speaking for everyone, that's why I said "I just don't think...", I see "I" all over my post.

Anyways, nothing to get upset about.

I’m not upset. Maybe you are??

Change is good, but I am realistic about the growing pains.

Star Wars has a fanbase that’s been growing for 40 plus years. To say that won’t change the game means you’re in denial.

I tend to agree. I will be happy to be wrong, but I am planning for the worst. A lot of folks who post here or on other pages are planning trips to coincide with GE being open. I don't know many whose parks plans are confined to one park, so those folks will spill out into MK, Epcot and DAK. Frankly I believe the only park large enough to accomodate more traffic is Epcot. Pandora is cluttered still with folks waiting for hours in a SB line, and the pathways elsewhere are very tight, so by afternoon they are claustrophobic. MK is already a little park and is crowded when anything changes. Picture that park on the three nights that do not have a party. For three months that place is a nightmare. I love DHS, and could not wait to get out of TSL, it was that crowded.

I truly believe that for a year or two, WDW is going to undergo a big change in guest traffic patterns and it is best to prepare for that.

DLR is going to have a problem I think. I don't think that folks going there will impact the number of folks in WDW though. I think there will be an overall increase in both resorts.

Thinking that SWGE is going to only affect DHS is very naive imho
Think of traffic, people coming in and out of DHS. This is why Disney has spent years and millions of dollars in improving, widening and making new roads in and around DHS. This is why the parking lot at DHS has doubled in size, this is why they spent all that money on the skyliner
Now not everyone can afford Disney resorts so they will have vehicles or take buses, ubers, this uptick in cars will affect the roads all around WDW coming in and getting out
People not going to DHS will be impacted by this in a direct way. Those not ready will probably miss fps, dinning reservations

Now lets move to people going to DHS without any or very limited understanding of SWGE, they will arrive at the park, see that's it's virtually impossible to get into SWGE, go to other areas of the park (the smallest park on property) those rides will be filled with people that wanted to go into SwGE and couldn't and people who didn't want to go to SWGE at all.
Most people that visit WDW for multiple days get park hoppers. What do you think they will do when standby lines for all attractions at DHS are very long (think about it, SDD, AS2 still fairly new and getting plenty of traffic, MMRR will be new getting tons of traffic) they are going to move to the other parks. So yes the other parks might be manageable for the morning time but by 3pm they will all be busy. Add to that MNSSHP and MVMCP at MK limiting hours at MK

Sure there are different levels of crowds tolerance, but to think it won't be that busy is not the right way to approach this. Plan for over crowding and you will be prepared at worst or pleased at best

So we are not trying to scare anyone, I would like people to be prepared for the worst crowds you've seen and plan accordingly and you can still have a fun visit

I'm not naive, nor do I think it won't be busy. I never expressed that people shouldn't be prepared with a good plan and expect large crowds. Never in either of my posts.

I'm just questioning the dire predictions about the fanaticism of Star War fans affecting Disney World's entire future going on in this thread and others. Apparently I will stop doing that before I'm called foolish as well! ;)

Crowds are definitely up in the last 4 years we've been going. We stopped trying to plan for low crowd times.

Now we plan around the weather, school schedules, and DVC point seasons. I actually like it when the parks are busier because the parks are open later. I much prefer to go when MK or Epcot is open until 10, 11 or 12 most nights over the slower times 8PM park close times.

I'm not naive, nor do I think it won't be busy. I never expressed that people shouldn't be prepared with a good plan and expect large crowds. Never in either of my posts.

I'm just questioning the dire predictions about the fanaticism of Star War fans affecting Disney World's entire future going on in this thread and others. Apparently I will stop doing that before I'm called foolish as well! ;)

True. We don’t know what the impact will be. It could be anything from sardines to crickets. I think WDW has a huge advantage with DL opening first. The super fans will be willing to go to any length to be among the first to experience it. We just don’t know how big this group is. I have a trip booked for December because I always go in December, and no plans to visit SWGE for at least a year (not including any passholder previews). I won’t cancel just because of SWGE. I think people could benefit from taking a deep breath and just waiting to see what goes on in California first. At the very least there will be time to make changes in crowd control based on what doesn’t work at DL. Another indicator as far as crowd predictions will be what happens with hotel bookings once a firm opening date for WDW is announced. Will there be a brief upswing, or will there be little to no occupancy for months? Until we can see some actual effects of the opening it’s anybody’s guess.

As to the OP’s crowd question, there’s really no way to know. Just when you think you have picked a less crowded week, a sports event or convention comes along to fill it in. I think a good plan and reasonable expectations are more important than the actual crowd level.

we usually go the end of Jan beginning of Feb for a week

this year we went Jan 29 to feb 6--parks seemed a slight bit busier then I would have thought but then we got home it was mentioned that it was some fort of football deal--pro bowl?? super bowl???some sort of bowl on the Jan 27

so Im leaning more towards the beginning of feb possibly the 4 th through 7th (most of the time we get good air flying tues to tues) only this year we added a day since coming home on the feb 5 would have been 364$!!! PP by adding the day it was only $99

Im trying to stay away from MLK day--whatever bowl is going on--presidents day--basically any day that would uptick the crowds--

You're planning to avoid the exact same things we are: football crap, President's Day, marathons, etc. We are going right after the super bowl and leaving right before President's Day weekend (Feb 3-13). I agree with PPs that the era of low crowds is probably over. However, I think that this is where DIS people will still have an advantage because we are great planners. I think the dates you suggested would be good (i.e., not insanely crowded), especially if you plan your park days well (e.g., scoring good FPs, refreshing for FPs day of, using EMH, etc).

I am well aware that all bets may be off when SWGE opens. I have no clue what the parks will be like several months after opening. I am expecting and planning for the worst, but I'm not necessarily worried about it. It is what it is. We'll have fun no matter what because we'll be at Disney! Good luck and enjoy your trip!

I strongly echo the sentiments expressed by yullin3. As for me, I'll be blocked out for a long time so I don't expect to visit SWGE, I'll wait.
1.Thinking that SWGE is going to only affect DHS is very naive imho
2.This is why Disney has spent years and millions of dollars in improving, widening and making new roads in and around DHS.
3.This is why the parking lot at DHS has doubled in size,
4.this is why they spent all that money on the skyliner
5.I would like people to be prepared for the worst crowds you've seen

In any case, glad we already booked Boardwalk for May 2020. If it's really going to be this bad, everything is going to book up early and fast. Plus being able to walk to and from DHS will be priceless! :)

I think people are really over hyping Galaxy's Edge, yes it will bring some crowds, but remember they are opening an identical version at Disneyland as well, so that will draw many people there as well and reduce the impact.

In other words it isn't going to be as significant of an impact as everyone is making it out to have, yes it will make Hollywood Studios a bit busier for a while, but overall most of that crowd will go to Galaxy's Edge leaving a good chunk of the park fairly empty, especially early in the day.

An average very busy day in the parks is 50,000 people. Disney is planning for 200,000 people a day for SWGE, and I think there will be even more people in the beginning. That is why they are streamlining the entrance and exit with all of the current construction and creating the new bus station. Not to mention the skyway. The first couple weeks SWGE is open will be insanity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter