trying to figure when to go next year--less crowds?????!!!

I read an article this morning that contained this data....

upload_2019-2-24_13-18-37.png

Seems like Disney parks increase attendance year after year. There is a really not a good time to go anymore. If there is a dip in attendance, they cut back on staff so the lines dont ever seem to get shorter. You may only feel the difference when you are walking around.

On average daily attendance at

MK - 56,000
AK - 34,200
EP - 33,500
DHS - 29,400

Phase one non entries at Magic Kingdom begin at approximately 65,000 people...not too far off of the daily average.

That being said, the are predicting Universal Studios will take top theme park spot this summer, as many are waiting on their next Disney trip until at least fall when the new attractions open.

I read an article this morning that contained this data....

View attachment 384578

Seems like Disney parks increase attendance year after year. There is a really not a good time to go anymore. If there is a dip in attendance, they cut back on staff so the lines dont ever seem to get shorter. You may only feel the difference when you are walking around.

On average daily attendance at

MK - 56,000
AK - 34,200
EP - 33,500
DHS - 29,400

Phase one non entries at Magic Kingdom begin at approximately 65,000 people...not too far off of the daily average.

That being said, the are predicting Universal Studios will take top theme park spot this summer, as many are waiting on their next Disney trip until at least fall when the new attractions open.
I hope so b/c we are ones taking an early trip to avoid it. But, I know we aren’t alone. I’m worried it’ll be more crowded with all the people trying book early trips to avoid the SWGE crowds.

I’ve went Late July. During holidays and off season. Had the same experience each time. Nothing was massively crowded.

I guess I just got lucky.

Only time I wouldn’t go is Christmas thanksgiving and presidents week. Maybe the 4th but only that date and the one before.

All other times i wouldn’t hesitate.

We have been all times of year, Christmas time, Halloween time, April, May, March (Spring Break) and others. The only time I felt it was not “crowded” was when we went this past summer in mid August. My kids are too old to want to miss school, so that is what we had. It was insanely hot and humid (and I live in Dallas, so I am familiar with hot and humid, but I also don’t spend all day outside in Dallas in August!!), but crowds were the lowest I have seen in a long time. I think the weather and some schools already being in session (to a lesser degree than the weather) lowered the crowds somewhat. It was not “uncrowded” by any means, and nothing was walk-on at all, but it was less congested in the walkways, and some ride times seemed lower than prior trips. I’m not sure the lower crowds were balanced by the weather trade off, so I’m not sure we will do this time of year again. For now, we are not planning a trip because I am scared of SWGE crowds!

I hope so b/c we are ones taking an early trip to avoid it. But, I know we aren’t alone. I’m worried it’ll be more crowded with all the people trying book early trips to avoid the SWGE crowds.

This! Everyone I have talked to is planning to go before SWGE opens. I'm also worried it is actually going to be more crowded this summer and early fall as people try to squeeze in trips before it opens.

Already have my May 2020 reservation made 9-18. I am used to busy but never been in May so here is hoping kids are in school and attendance won’t be awful. If I can do week between Christmas and New Years I can do anything!!!!

Already have my May 2020 reservation made 9-18. I am used to busy but never been in May so here is hoping kids are in school and attendance won’t be awful. If I can do week between Christmas and New Years I can do anything!!!!

May 6-15 2020 over here! :wave:

In any case, glad we already booked Boardwalk for May 2020. If it's really going to be this bad, everything is going to book up early and fast. Plus being able to walk to and from DHS will be priceless! :)
I'm currently planning a May 2020 trip as well but I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense (for us) to push it to 2021. To the extent Star Wars does cause a huge surge in crowds maybe it will have died down in 2021, and some of the other stuff Disney is working on like the Guardians and Tron roller coasters might be open for a 2021 trip.

I wouldn't say that summer attendance will be down due to SWGE. It's actually been down for 2 or 3 years now.

Although I do think these number will be close to people coming for SWGE alone here
I can't picture DHS being able to accept 200K people after GE opens instead of the previous average of about 30K. GE will take a good chunk of people but 200K people spread throughout DHS is hard to imagine.

I'm currently planning a May 2020 trip as well but I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense (for us) to push it to 2021. To the extent Star Wars does cause a huge surge in crowds maybe it will have died down in 2021, and some of the other stuff Disney is working on like the Guardians and Tron roller coasters might be open for a 2021 trip.

Our plan is to go May 2020 and again May 2023. That way a lot of the Epcot new projects will be done too!

I can't picture DHS being able to accept 200K people after GE opens instead of the previous average of about 30K. GE will take a good chunk of people but 200K people spread throughout DHS is hard to imagine.
that's the point, 200k is way above capacity at DL and here, so all those people will have to go somewhere else

that's the point, 200k is way above capacity at DL and here, so all those people will have to go somewhere else
Living next door to WDW, I know what the traffic is like going and coming from WDW during peak times. It's busier, but manageable. I'm wondering what it will be like just outside WDW after GE opens? Not that I'll have to deal with it.

Living next door to WDW, I know what the traffic is like going and coming from WDW during peak times. It's busier, but manageable. I'm wondering what it will be like just outside WDW after GE opens? Not that I'll have to deal with it.
I-4 will be more of a nightmare than it is already. That light intersection of 535 and 536 is another nightmare, I take that to come and go. If Universal plays it's cards right they would offer great deals during the first couple of months of SWGE opening and get the people escaping from WDW

Our plan is to go May 2020 and again May 2023. That way a lot of the Epcot new projects will be done too!
and it's not only SWGE, 2021 will see the opening of so many things all around property.Mickey and Minnie Runaway Railway, Tron coaster, Beauty and the Beast sing along show,Guardians of the Galaxy coaster, Ratatouille attraction, so hopefully by your 2023 trip the crowds will be more evenly spread out

(I won't even get into the argument that in fact, I think the fan-base is actually dwindling...)

I do agree that the newer movies have put somewhat of a damper on Star Wars enthusiasm... but there is still a lot of the hard core fans that will fill the park.

In any case, glad we already booked Boardwalk for May 2020. If it's really going to be this bad, everything is going to book up early and fast. Plus being able to walk to and from DHS will be priceless! :)

May be a nicer walk in May... but in August sun that is one soul sucking stroll. We did it once, and despite the waits and piddling air conditioning, we took the boats the rest of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter