Underwhelmed by 10/3 Moonlight Madness at Hollywood Studios

I went on 10/3 and was underwhelmed as well. I don’t know what I was expecting, but it was an ok event. I wouldn’t recommend anyone plans a trip around these events. I’ve been to two events (TL and HS), and they were fun but not anything to write home about. The meal vouchers were nice, but there just aren’t a lot of rides at HS to spread out the crowds right now. If there is one going on at MK during one of our trips, I’ll try to get into that one. I don’t think I’d do another one at HS until Galaxy’s Edge opens up.

Then we got in line for Slinky and waited maybe 20-25 minutes with a posted wait of 45. Then Aliens for about 20-25 minutes with a posted time of 45 (at least they were running both sides) and Midway Mania was like a walk on but I don't recall the actual or posted wait times.

Perhaps the wait time clocks are calibrated for FastPass usage during normal operating hours. Without 50% of the ride capacity going to FP holders, standby was moving faster than normal.

but there just aren’t a lot of rides at HS to spread out the crowds right now..

This is what I'm concerned about with the one next month in DCA. I am going with my DH and we are taking our Godson's family, GS - 19months, S1-7 and S2-11. Incredicoaster is out as is Guardians, at night we're not doing grizzly and racers might be out too. That doesn't leave a lot for the kids to do but hopefully we get a lot of cool rare characters for them to meet. But I'm excited for my first DVC event as a member, and even with some people being underwhelmed reading the reports has me looking at this as a good night with good friends.

Perhaps the wait time clocks are calibrated for FastPass usage during normal operating hours. Without 50% of the ride capacity going to FP holders, standby was moving faster than normal.

Certainly that's the factor there. It's the same reasoning behind getting in line at closing time. Once they no longer have FP returns the line moves along smoothly. I don't take a lot of stock in the reported wait times from the app or front just because FP can cause a lot of fluctuation. I like the Lines app a lot better because people are reporting their actual wait. Regardless if the line was 30 minutes or 60 minutes for Slinky Dog Dash, we were going to go anyway because we wanted to experience the ride, especially at night with the land all lit up. I know people do not like to wait and I don't blame them but I see no point in complaining unless you've purchased the upcharge event, then I would be very upset.

I still wish I would have gotten in!

Oh well. I hope they continue with MM in 2019 and beyond!

We had a lot of fun, but I agree it's not necessarily something to book a special trip for (I can see how MK might be different). Maybe it was our timing, but we walked onto every ride except those in TSL (and based on posts here we seem to be the only ones who actually waited the posted 40 minutes to ride SDD haha...). Our highlight was having our own Star Tours ship for our party of 6... but the unlimited Mickey ice cream bars were nice too :-)

I would love to attend another one, but who knows if a future trip will coincide with the dates... or if we'll be lucky again to get tickets. I do think they should move to a lottery because I realize it was shear luck I was able to get in!

We were there on 10/3. Had FUN!!! We ate a nice empanada meal at Fairfax and it was a lot of food with a drink! We got our Mickey bars -they were plentiful and everywhere. All the stands we saw had the fruit bars also. We arrived early for fastpasses so we saw the Star Wars fireworks then Rode all the rides including Toy Story, Alien saucers 10 min wait and Slinky Dog said 40 min but it was 15 we timed it also. Rode TOT and hubby did Star Tours and RRRC. WE stopped in at the dance party which was so much fun and we booked it to Fantasmic show.We felt special; doing the show just for the DVC members. We ended the night with Movie Magic at 11. WE also got the LIFE game!!! It was a great night for us(just us 2 oldies!!!!).I would do it again!!!!

Slinky listed a 40 min wait, actual was 18 min.

We were there 10/3 as well. Slinky dog wait was advertised as 40, but actually 18 minutes (I timed it)!

:thumbsup2

FWIW, we "built" a trip around the 10/3 Moonlight Madness event (traveling from San Diego) and had a blast. We pre-purchased MNSSHP tickets for the following evening and then made a very last-minute decision to add APs so we could visit F&W, the Member Lounge at Epcot (our first-ever visit), meet up with friends and more. Personally, I feel we "over did" things this trip ... just having the Moonlight Magic event and MNSSHP would have been plenty of park time for us.

We were able to find both the lactose-free fruit bars and, later, the sugar-free variety. The meal voucher was extremely welcome, we got to experience the new Toy Story Land (something I wouldn't have done for its own merit), ride RNRRC (2x), Star Tours (2x), ToT (2x), get great seats for Fantasmic!, wear our special DVC lanyards and spend a few moments chatting with a new member of the Marketing team. All fun stuff ... loved it.

We met a family from San Diego at MNSSHP on Thurs 10/3 :goodvibes

(Oops, 10/4)

Last edited:
We met a family from San Diego at MNSSHP on Thurs 10/3 :goodvibes

(Oops, 10/4)
We were traveling as a 'couple' ... no kids ... if that helps you figure out if it were us? I think the only time we were talking with others around us was in line was for Splash Mountain.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    673 bytes · Views: 2
We were traveling as a 'couple' ... no kids ... if that helps you figure out if it were us? I think the only time we were talking with others around us was in line was for Splash Mountain.

Awesome! This was the Tom Sawyer candy line. I believe they said they were from Escondido. We also spoke to another California couple in the Splash candy line. The wife used to work at Disneyland. They recognized our costumes from the YOAMD promotion. I was born and raised in SD, btw :sunny:

While the events are nice, it's more about using the events as a marketing tool to convince people to buy direct. We attended the Epcot party and we were underwhelmed also. The MK party was better IMO.

:earsboy: Bill

It’s nice that they offer the chance to snag a spot. A shame it’s so limited and many members report being shut out. Unless they’d do a lottery system or charge a small fee to attend, not sure how they’d manage to change that situation.

I’ve attended (in descending order of my party’s enjoyment) MK, MGM & Epcot.

MK in January had far more of a festive, party atmosphere with many more interesting activities. It seemed more crowded, there were lines for characters & attractions.

The voucher system for food was an improvement at Epcot (sunshine seasons always has something interesting) but MGM CS food is something I rarely eat. My DS enjoyed a hotdog later after Fantasmic with the unused voucher

The character lines seemed overall shorter at MGM, well except for the one my DH wanted to see Phasma

It’s nice that they offer the chance to snag a spot. A shame it’s so limited and many members report being shut out. Unless they’d do a lottery system or charge a small fee to attend, not sure how they’d manage to change that situation.

And if you do a basic guess on how many members get added via Riviera, I am not sure MM scales to deal with increased demand. It isn't built to deal with current demand, let alone the number of new contracts that will be represented in Riviera points.

I’ll be curious to see if DVC still spreads the events over all WDW parks in 2019. No surprise, but Magic Kingdom is most well equipped to host. Maybe Hollywood Studios after Star Wars opens.

And if you do a basic guess on how many members get added via Riviera, I am not sure MM scales to deal with increased demand. It isn't built to deal with current demand, let alone the number of new contracts that will be represented in Riviera points.

Indeed. If they have the capability to identify easily online, it wouldn’t surprise me if they limit attendees to those buying new contracts or addons as a sales perk.

I’ll be curious to see if DVC still spreads the events over all WDW parks in 2019. No surprise, but Magic Kingdom is most well equipped to host. Maybe Hollywood Studios after Star Wars opens.

I agree with this. I was at the DHS event and honestly there wasn't much to do. After a while the CM at the ToW started making jokes about me riding it back to back.
I'd much more prefer if they limit it to once per year and spread MK events all over the year. It could be impossible during party seasons as the park already closes early so many nights. An alternative could be to give a huge discount to DVC members for regular late night events, I don't remember the name, like 80% or so, once per year.

Thank you for the feedback. I have not yet attended a MM and I appreciate your candor, as we are a party of 2 adults as well. Makes me feel as if it is not something I need to rush to do. Hope you had a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter