United Airlines Forces Man off of oversold flight

It was a United flight, not American. I understand why airlines oversell flights. People miss flights and it costs them a lot of money to fly half full planes. I'm surprised they had such a hard time getting people to give up their seats for vouchers. It's a sucky situation all around. They should have made the last four people to check in stay behind instead of a random draw.

It was a United flight, not American. I understand why airlines oversell flights. People miss flights and it costs them a lot of money to fly half full planes. I'm surprised they had such a hard time getting people to give up their seats for vouchers. It's a sucky situation all around. They should have made the last four people to check in stay behind instead of a random draw.
The flight they were trying to put them on was for the next afternoon. Not many people can do that.

Holy guacamole. I get overbooking flights, but something got seriously mucked up on that situation and all sorts of bad decisions were made.

So question,

how much does it take to get u off the plane? i think if it reached $1000 + free night + free flight next day...

So question,

how much does it take to get u off the plane? i think if it reached $1000 + free night + free flight next day...

I'll admit, my job is flexible enough that, for the right amount, I could be persuaded.
I'm far less likely if I'm travelling alone though -- usually by the time I'm headed home I'm so ready to see my husband that nothing could keep me from that plane.

So question,

Totally depends on what's going on. DH and I were on a flight on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving once when they made it to $800 + over night at the hotel. We agreed if it made it to $1000 we'd take it.

I've also accepted $250 + a lunch voucher when they could get me on a later flight that day and I was by myself and didn't have anywhere pressing to be.

So question,

How happy would you be as a patient of his to find out "oops sorry, the doctor can't see you and has to cancel your appointment today, come back another day. Sorry!"

Wow, that an atrocious way to treat someone who has done nothing wrong. I hope that gentleman sues & wins big. The airlines get away with way too much lately. I understand using law enforcemen when a passenger is disruptive or dangerous. But to strong arm someone who has paid their fare, followed all the rules, was allowed on the plane & randomly being kicked off??? That is just wrong. That is United abusing law enforcement to benefit their business. That is not the intent of the laws that were put into effect after 9/11. I hope to see more about this incident on the news. I for one will remember this & avoid United at all costs.

Totally depends on what's going on. DH and I were on a flight on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving once when they made it to $800 + over night at the hotel. We agreed if it made it to $1000 we'd take it.

I've also accepted $250 + a lunch voucher when they could get me on a later flight that day and I was by myself and didn't have anywhere pressing to be.
Agree very much depends... can I get in later that day and just end up working the next day on less sleep. Sure I'll take the money.

Would I be missing a work event? Nope.

If I'm going to a vacation it would have to be a pretty high amount. If I'm coming home much less.

So question,

We took a bump on our last flight...$700 voucher and a slight detour, getting us back to our home airport 2 hours later than scheduled. But we had nothing going on at home we needed to return for, so it was worth the two hours to us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter