Unpopular Opinions

How would you know if you have a terrible head server?

exactly unless you need a head server for something like food allergies they usually tend to be in invisible. For example my first cruise they were trying out some new menus and both of them were in the kitchen helping coordinate everything so I never saw them until they told us on the last night.

Our head server came to us after each meal and asked how the meal and service was. One time he even brought us drink refills since our server was busy. Their job is to ensure continuous service, fill in the gaps when a server and assistant server are busy, and to handle any complaints or requests as well as allergy concerns. So even though you may not see them, doesn't mean they aren't working for you.

exactly unless you need a head server for something like food allergies they usually tend to be in invisible. For example my first cruise they were trying out some new menus and both of them were in the kitchen helping coordinate everything so I never saw them until they told us on the last night.

yep, that is exactly why--multiple food allergies. @MunFam said their recent experience on the WBPC wonder was horrific both food- and service-wise in terms of food allergies, so we want to be prepared in advance.

Then why don't you cruise with Royal instead of DCL if you like it just the same or more and it is cheaper? :confused3

I can't speak for that poster but for me, I do like other cruiselines. I've got a Disney cruise booked for the fall because I'm going with extended family. Originally it was to be WDW but due to some concerns, we settled on a cruise. In order to have the characters, it has to be DCL.

Otherwise, I have a 7 night Celebrity cruise booked for the summer and a 21 day cruise with Carnival for early 2016 that I'm looking very forward to.

On my seventh cruise, I finally ate at Palo for brunch and I was... unimpressed. Guess there was a reason I waited so long to try it. The grape and gorgonzola pizza was not very good and I like gourmet pizzas. Seemed like there were a bunch of pastries, which I am not into. Otherwise seemed like a typical brunch I could get on land anytime. Sorry for my unpopular opinion. :)

I would love it if someone in our meet group organized a kids only FE. I might try starting one on our next cruise. I really only participate because of the joy my kids get out of checking for little gifts each time we return to our cabin. I have loved all the FE gifts I've received but would prefer only my kids receive stuff.
Have you ever considered leaving your own kids little trinkets on their beds? My boys always get a kick out of it. I buy them months in advance and I always enjoy searching for the perfect surprise for them. For the same amount of money you would spend on all those gifs, you can get things they would really enjoy. If you go with friends with kids then just exchange between each other. That is what we will be doing on our next cruise.

Not really. You only have to speak to your head server and you'll either be relocated (with new servers), or the servers will have some re-training.
That unfortunately did not work for us. We had horrible servers on the Wonder last fall and they stayed with us the entire cruise, even though we voiced out unhappiness to the Head Server. Who doesn't know what French dressing is?!

My other unpopular opinion is, when being the first off the ship and heading to the family beach at CC, please, for the love of all that is right and good, DO NOT reserve beach chairs for your ENTIRE family, when only 2 or 3 of you are there. My husband almost got into a fight with an angry Puerto Rican because he was trying to reserve 15-20 beach chairs for their entire party, even though it was just him there. We only wanted 2 chairs and this guy was throwing an absolute fit about it... SMDH.

Have you ever considered leaving your own kids little trinkets on their beds? My boys always get a kick out of it. I buy them months in advance and I always enjoy searching for the perfect surprise for them. For the same amount of money you would spend on all those gifs, you can get things they would really enjoy. If you go with friends with kids then just exchange between each other. That is what we will be doing on our next cruise.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of leaving your own kids trinkets instead! We know our kids best as far as what they enjoy. As much as we spend participating in FE, we could get them some really neat stuff that they would be really excited about. Thanks for the idea!

Maybe not an opinion, but something I won't do - FE's. It's my vacation and the last thing I want to do is lug crap people don't want onto the boat, spend time doling it out and then lugging other people's crap home. If DS wants trinkets, I'll buy him things in the gift shop or during excursions. Quite honestly, the towel animals on the beds every night are enough of a surprise for us.

Door decorations. I don't really need strangers knowing our names or where we're from etc. I guess I'm a little paranoid about that stuff.

My other unpopular opinion is, when being the first off the ship and heading to the family beach at CC, please, for the love of all that is right and good, DO NOT reserve beach chairs for your ENTIRE family, when only 2 or 3 of you are there. My husband almost got into a fight with an angry Puerto Rican because he was trying to reserve 15-20 beach chairs for their entire party, even though it was just him there. We only wanted 2 chairs and this guy was throwing an absolute fit about it... SMDH.

I don't understand why it matters what nationality he was :confused3...but that is totally rude to do that (save that many seats.) I can understand maybe saving one seat for your spouse who just ran down to take a quick dip in the water for a few minutes (but not for a long, long time.) But saving seats for several people is not cool.

Last edited:
Going along with server opinions, I totally understand requesting certain servers if you had them before and loved them. But I don't really get the whole asking other people for server recommendations thing. I just figure that I will get who I get, and if they aren't that great, it's only for a short time of my day anyway. Plus, what I consider to be a good server might not be the same as what others like. For instance, some people like to have really friendly, engaging servers, whereas others prefer servers that are more low-key. (I'm not trying to knock those who request; I just don't feel the same.)

Bumping this thread because it came up again in my head recently.

Does anyone actually LIKE watching other people's vacation videos where they've attached a gopro to a selfie stick and are filming their own faces as they walk? And then they turn it around and it's (I guess) still attached to them somehow because you see every step and vibration as they walk?

There are so many cruise/trip report videos I wish I could watch, but I can't because they make me more motion sick than being on the actual ship. Especially when they have fish eye view on.

Just me? Unpopular opinion? I know it's not reasonable to expect people to have steadycams (ha) but I dislike this "stick view" trend so much--mostly because it makes me nauseated.

If you would have ever had Fitz, you would have seen what a head server should be. Super friendly, and stopped by nightly. Even got me a box of GF doughnuts on the last night because he knew that the buffet would not have them available on debarkation day. Worked with his team and helped out when needed (saw him do a service for a sick server and still make his rounds) and also laid down the law if it was needed. Incredible guy and we were lucky to have him twice. He just did all the little things that made you go wow. Unfortunately he has left the company to work back home.

Bumping this thread because it came up again in my head recently.

Does anyone actually LIKE watching other people's vacation videos where they've attached a gopro to a selfie stick and are filming their own faces as they walk? And then they turn it around and it's (I guess) still attached to them somehow because you see every step and vibration as they walk?

There are so many cruise/trip report videos I wish I could watch, but I can't because they make me more motion sick than being on the actual ship. Especially when they have fish eye view on.

Just me? Unpopular opinion? I know it's not reasonable to expect people to have steadycams (ha) but I dislike this "stick view" trend so much--mostly because it makes me nauseated.

I love GoPros when used by people to shoot fishing technique videos or other sports videos for example usually with the head or chest mounts. But agree, that people use them in ways that they really weren't meant for. I believe that they started in the extreme sports realm.

I, too, don't care for the whole Fish Extender thing. I have no desire to put time, money or effort toward swapping gifts with total strangers. I find it a little weird.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter