Updated list of Refurbs for 2014

Sleepymouse- I actually thought about trying to do that, but wasn't sure of the policy on it. I will give them a call and see since you had luck doing it with your airline. We really were bummed out about not being able to do breakfast together before we all flew out. Thanks for the suggestion :)

We were there yesterday as well, but must have been lucky as we rode IASW, BTMRR and POTC all yesterday. BTMRR was closed at opening, but was back by 10 am. We rode POTC at 6 pm, but I know they close it early for Fantasmic.

Magical Mickey show was canceled at the noon show...15 minutes after it was suppose to start. �� However we were given party of 6 fast pass to any ride of our choice (except RSR) to make up for waiting....So used it at Toy Story Mania. ��

I read on another site that they have been cancelling Mickey & The Magical Map often lately due to a "sick out" by the performers.

I read on another site that they have been cancelling Mickey & The Magical Map often lately due to a "sick out" by the performers.

I have heard this as well. They either need to come to a compromise, or hire new performers. Paying guests shouldn't be suffering if this has been going on for more than a few days.

OK I've spoken to my friends/former students who are leads and a bit higher up about what is going on:
Indiana Jones, Pirates, and Big Thunder were not closed due to refurbishments, they were closed due to temporary breakdowns.

As far as I and my friend/former students know, Pirates does NOT close down for Fantasmic.

Small World situation. It is closed due to refurbishment, however, they are reopening it for one week to celebrate the ride's anniversary (I forgot the number he told me) and then shutting it down again to finish the refurbishment.

As for Mickey and the Magical Map situation. I was there on the March 29th weekend. I hadn't seen the show and was anxious to see it (I have a couple of friends/former students who are performers in the show) The day before I came to DL we had a decent size earthquake and were having a ton of aftershocks the next day and one of the aftershocks occurred while we were at the park and was a descent size (5.0). Every aftershock shuts down the park essentially, all the rides, parades, and shows close until the mechanics can get around to every single ride, parade float, and set piece, and reset it after inspecting it (this can take some time as there are only so many mechanics). The magical map show was one of the last ones to get checked. We were in line for the 4:45pm showing, I think it was, and we were beginning to wonder why they weren't letting people in. They cancelled the show. They said the 6pm show may or may not happen, but it turns out that one was cancelled too.
The aftershock knocked a set piece or something that rolls on a track via the rafters off its track and broke the track. I don't know the set piece or what it does as I've said I've never seen the show.
So they have been trying to fix the piece which requires ordering pieces, and takes time, etc.
There is no sick out.
I asked my friends/former students who are performers in the show what do they do with you guys if the show doesn't go on. They said depending on what the performers are cleared or trained to do they either get re-assigned as a character or another show, operating rides if they are cleared to do that or even crowd control.
A lot of the performers don't like doing crowd control some performers have big egos according to them and they feel crowd control is beneath them so instead of doing crowd control if they find out the show is cancelled they rather call out than be reassigned.
It is not a sick out in terms of a contract negotiation or strike type thing.

Hope that explains it.

OK I've spoken to my friends/former students who are leads and a bit higher up about what is going on:
Indiana Jones, Pirates, and Big Thunder were not closed due to refurbishments, they were closed due to temporary breakdowns.

As far as I and my friend/former students know, Pirates does NOT close down for Fantasmic.

Small World situation. It is closed due to refurbishment, however, they are reopening it for one week to celebrate the ride's anniversary (I forgot the number he told me) and then shutting it down again to finish the refurbishment.

As for Mickey and the Magical Map situation. I was there on the March 29th weekend. I hadn't seen the show and was anxious to see it (I have a couple of friends/former students who are performers in the show) The day before I came to DL we had a decent size earthquake and were having a ton of aftershocks the next day and one of the aftershocks occurred while we were at the park and was a descent size (5.0). Every aftershock shuts down the park essentially, all the rides, parades, and shows close until the mechanics can get around to every single ride, parade float, and set piece, and reset it after inspecting it (this can take some time as there are only so many mechanics). The magical map show was one of the last ones to get checked. We were in line for the 4:45pm showing, I think it was, and we were beginning to wonder why they weren't letting people in. They cancelled the show. They said the 6pm show may or may not happen, but it turns out that one was cancelled too.
The aftershock knocked a set piece or something that rolls on a track via the rafters off its track and broke the track. I don't know the set piece or what it does as I've said I've never seen the show.
So they have been trying to fix the piece which requires ordering pieces, and takes time, etc.
There is no sick out.
I asked my friends/former students who are performers in the show what do they do with you guys if the show doesn't go on. They said depending on what the performers are cleared or trained to do they either get re-assigned as a character or another show, operating rides if they are cleared to do that or even crowd control.
A lot of the performers don't like doing crowd control some performers have big egos according to them and they feel crowd control is beneath them so instead of doing crowd control if they find out the show is cancelled they rather call out than be reassigned.
It is not a sick out in terms of a contract negotiation or strike type thing.

Hope that explains it.

I'm not doubting what you are your CM friend is saying, but if it is a set piece that is needed for the show, why are not ALL the shows being cancelled rather than random ones thru out the day? Hope they get all this figured out soon.

I honestly don't know maybe it keeps breaking? or they are trying to work around something that isn't working?
All I know is what my friend told me anything other than that would be guessing on my part and I didn't even know that it was only random shows that were being cancelled.

What are the chances of any of the rides opening before their scheduled date ? Is it similar to Disneyworld in that way ? I would LOVE to go on Indiana Jones but it's not scheduled to re-open until 4 days after I leave :worried:

I think it's important to differentiate between closed and temporarily down for one reason or another.

To my knowledge, Space, Big Thunder, and Pirates were not closed anytime recently so try we're probably just coincidentally down temporarily when you looked at whatever app. And there is always the chance that the app is incorrect or behind on it's info you are trusting. Depending upon when you were there, it's a small world was either a known closure or falls into the same category as those I mentioned above.

So to answer your question, if I knew about the three and the others were just "at this moment" situations, nah, I wouldn't be upset. I would go so something else and when the ones I wanted to ride re-opened, I'd go enjoy them.

I get being bummed about Ariel and TTBAB (although I think those were known in advance, right?), but there are a lot of other things to do as a family. I'm just trying to help you with perspective. Sometimes, just looking at it differently can change the entire memory. I hope you all managed to have a good time and make good memories so that you can forget what you didn't do and look back happily on what you DID do.

- Dreams

I did differentiate between the refurbs and the temporary breakdowns. All I'm saying is that it got ridiculous at one point. When you add up all the rides that were closed at one single point in time, it was just too much. We did end up riding everything we wanted to (which were all the rides that were open - minus the canoes, trolleys, etc.) but there came one time where we had Space fast passes and wanted to go on a couple of rides before our time was up. We tried both Pirates and Big Thunder and they were both closed. Then we went to Space and that was down too. Pirates ended up re-opening at some point but Big Thunder stayed down the whole night. Space re-opened that night as well. There were a few nights were some rides went down and never came back (it happened to Matterhorn too.)

Add the random ride closures with the rides already closed due to refurbs = way too many rides down.

And don't worry, we had a great time. That doesn't dismiss the fact that there were too many rides down at the same time. We still paid full price. I would have rescheduled our trip if I hadn't booked the flight already.

Is this accurate? I've never noticed it closing early ... what time is "early"? thanks!

Pirates doesn't close for Fantasmic...we've ridden plenty of times during the first showing, most recently in Xmas week. One has nothing to do with the other.

Well April 28 is two weeks ago and POTC still says down 4/28--5/22. Several disney dining reps say the refurbishment has been postponed, but it is still on the main calendar???

Will this be opened or closed?

Well April 28 is two weeks ago and POTC still says down 4/28--5/22. Several disney dining reps say the refurbishment has been postponed, but it is still on the main calendar???

Nearly two weeks ago I emailed and asked and was told it would be closed for a refurb, but BB would still be open.

Actually April 28 is two weeks from NOW :) . I presume that the POTC refurb is still scheduled just based on the main calendar. But of course:

Nearly two weeks ago I emailed and asked and was told it would be closed for a refurb, but BB would still be open.

I'm not sure how this has been handled in the past, but this sounds like a good sign for BB.

April 28th is 2 weeks ago????????
April 1st was two weeks ago?

For the record, the end date of the second it's a small world closure was never corrected on this site. It is actually May 22.

rtl1n6.jpg

Just noticed on the Disneyland Map that the dates for the Space Mountain refurb now shows May 27th - July 3rd. Is this correct? This is our first trip to DL so didn't know if we should trust that or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter