Very Special Offer coming from DCL on Wednesday 12/10

niciggy: How exactly are you getting "shafted" if it's more to re-shop your cruise?

Do you even know what reshopped means? If it would be MORE to re-shop your cruise, then you are getting a good deal with what you are paying. Duh. Stop your complaining. It's like those who never GOT the Fuel Surcharge in first place complaning that they didn't get the OBC! :headache:

Seriously? Used, Abused and Cheated? :confused3 You must have a golden life then! You are going on a Disney Cruise with your children. You have the money to pay for this (supposedly). You are anything but ABUSED AND CHEATED.

seriously, did you read my last line? I realize I'm being a big baby, but I was excited then let down. I'm not here to make enemies, just to share how I feel with people who might understand. Because I choose to spend years and years of saving and scrimping to take my kids on a 3 day vacation certainly does not mean that I have a golden life. I have maybe a bronze life!

I was going to say the same exact thing. John didn't do anything except pass along the press release that DCL sent to all travel agents who sell their cruises. The other sites had the same information posted this week. If something had come along that WAS good and they had not told us what they knew, that would be the disservice of not allowing anyone to prepare and check in today to find to find out what the deal was. They were hoping that it was a great deal too, just as DCL advertised.

With all due respect, I have seen the press release and I can't see where in the release the impression was given that it was that big a deal. Most TAs knew the extent of the announcement as early as Monday. There was no secret. It just seems a lot of people were acting disappointed by the mere anticipation of something that rally did not exist. It's like buying a lottery ticket, imagining how you are going to spend the winnings and then waking up the morning after the drawing to find out you didn't win.

I do feel for any and all who already have a cruise booked during this time frame and cannot apply this discount. It would make me mad as well. I also think they should do more for others without children.

I do feel for any and all who already have a cruise booked during this time frame and cannot apply this discount. It would make me mad as well. I also think they should do more for others without children.

when you book your vacation, you don't expect them to raise the rate, why do you think they would lower it?

Those that book early get the best deal as I understand it and they only lower it now for new people because they have rooms that haven't been filled yet, or else everyone would just wait for the last minute to book to get the best rate.

disney doesn't have to give anyone a deal. we can go on other cruise lines if we think the Disney Cruise Lines rates are too high. It's a business, its time that everyone ecepts that!!! thats why we will always stay offsite for now on when its not free dining, to save that extra money, disney isn't the only option for anyone.

when you book your vacation, you don't expect them to raise the rate, why do you think they would lower it?

Those that book early get the best deal as I understand it and they only lower it now for new people because they have rooms that haven't been filled yet, or else everyone would just wait for the last minute to book to get the best rate.

disney doesn't have to give anyone a deal. we can go on other cruise lines if we think the Disney Cruise Lines rates are too high. It's a business, its time that everyone ecepts that!!! thats why we will always stay offsite for now on when its not free dining, to save that extra money, disney isn't the only option for anyone.

I don't think anyone "expects" it, but almost everyone hopes for it. It has happened MANY times in the past, after all, so hoping for it this time around is no crime.

Heck, I still check my rates (hotel & air) daily (for our upcoming trip 2/09)...you just never know & who doesn't like to save $$?

I think we should all understand that Disney like any retail organization will try to create 'hype' on any announcement. It gets a lot of coverage here, and the anticipation on this boards creates considerable interest, and potential free advertising.

I personally think this offer will appeal to a target audience and as said in earlier posts, what they are going for is new cruisers, ones with young kids who may not have cruised before.

Any offer will appeal to some but not appeal to many. Offers of course are everywhere at this time in the economic cycle, all retail organizations need cash coming in and DCL is expanding in a few years so needs to expand its base, but try not to loose bookings made already.

We have to remember they are a commercial organization first, and need to cover overheads and then make a profit.

I thank John for bringing this to our notice as it will and has appealed to some, but not all. Its nice to read it here first and have a heads up as any offer is often limited and it is for selected dates so the heads up gives some people reading this forum a head start in getting those few kids places on offer. They passed this information on to us in good faith.

I did try to put the brakes on some posts last night as we were getting slightly carried away I think that added to the hype. Trying to keep the thread on subject of a promtional offer,

I think we will see more offers of different types in the new year, packaged in different ways, but can I say they are all aimed at getting 'extra' people booking, not making any current bookings cheaper for us.

Not defending DCL ,here just saying the facts of life.

I thank the Disboards for the heads up. Doesn't appeal to me, but one may do in the future.

I don't think anyone "expects" it, but almost everyone hopes for it. It has happened MANY times in the past, after all, so hoping for it this time around is no crime.

Heck, I still check my rates (hotel & air) daily (for our upcoming trip 2/09)...you just never know & who doesn't like to save $$?

I like to save money too, every dime i can, and we would have to pay for a full second adult (even if shes a child) too but I'm not complaining about it because one of us would still be able to go for free, so it's still a deal, so those who say it's not a deal, well, just because it doesn't apply to them right now doesn't mean it's not a deal.

I also wouldnt be mad if I booked earlier and still have a cheaper rate than this new price, it just seems like so many have sour grapes against disney cruise line if someone else in a different sitation or booking at a differnt times gets someone else a better price than what they got.

I read somewhere that all airlines would go bankrupts if everyone on the plane called to complain to get the lowest price that someone else bought their tickets for. I dont know why some people here expect disney cruise line to do that. It's like if milk went on sale tomorrow I cant take the milk I bought today back to the store and get the sale price, kwim?

No offense, I know you guys meant well and you guys do a great job, but you did DCL a disservice by building up the hype when there was nothing to hype. Most of the discussion here was fueled by the belief generated here and on MouseSavers that a "Big announcement was coming". The fact is, the offer that Disney is selling is a good deal, since they normally do not offer such deep discounts for the cruise line. If you expected more, you have nobody to blame but yourselves for getting all worked up over unfounded rumors.

The first I heard of this new offer was in an email I received directly from someone at Disney whose job it is to disseminate this type of information to the travel agencies he/she deals with.

The information I presented in my first post had quotes around the wording included in that email...words like 'VERY big' and 'first of its kind for Disney Cruise Line'. These were the exact words and phrases given to me by Disney. There were no details presented in the email except for the date it was going to be released.

Folks on this board then engaged in some friendly speculation as to what the offer might be. Of course people wanted it to be beneficial to them - that's human nature.

Everyone has a right to their opinions on this board, as do you. Those that are unhappy with the promotion have a right to express that as do those that are happy or those that simply don't care.

I personally feel that Disney Cruise Line hyped something that turned out to be less than 'VERY big'. I understand the intent of the promotion and the desired result - I understand they are business and have an agenda - but in the end it is my opinion that it turned out to be less than 'VERY big'.....their words, not mine.

Hey...I've got a great idea..why doesn't DCL just give away all their cruises?? Will that make everyone happy??

Everyone sails for free...DCL (a for profit business), will eventually go under... and then everyone can complain how someone else is screwing them over!!

Sounds like a winning deal to me!! :confused3

DCL can't please everyone. They have empty cabins and are trying to fill them. If this promo doesn't get enough bodies..they will do something else.

Restaurants are empty..what do they do?? They put out coupons. They want bodies in their establishments. Not everyone gets the military discounts..or the Fl Residents or others. Just the way the cookie crumbles. What about all the complaints for free dining just during Aug and Sept. Well that's when they had rooms to fill. Now they have it longer, why...open rooms.

When I bought my first home 18 years ago, the housing market fell. I got a brand new townhouse for 115,000!! Great deal..they blew out of the development. The people that previously bought for 45,000 more, but were waiting for it to be built were PO'ed big time. But..they couldn't stop the deals. They couldn't sue..they were out of luck.

If you can take advantage of a great deal..great!! If not..well maybe the next one will be for you. This promo will get alot of people that never cruised DCL before and will want to try. That will hook em for a long time. Great promo from a business stand point. They are gonna have a few more ships to fill in a few years...time to get more of us addicted!!

The first I heard of this new offer was in an email I received directly from someone at Disney whose job it is to disseminate this type of information to the travel agencies he/she deals with.

The information I presented in my first post had quotes around the wording included in that email...words like 'VERY big' and 'first of its kind for Disney Cruise Line'. These were the exact words and phrases given to me by Disney. There were no details presented in the email except for the date it was going to be released.

Folks on this board then engaged in some friendly speculation as to what the offer might be. Of course people wanted it to be beneficial to them - that's human nature.

Everyone has a right to their opinions on this board, as do you. Those that are unhappy with the promotion have a right to express that as do those that are happy or those that simply don't care.

I personally feel that Disney Cruise Line hyped something that turned out to be less than 'VERY big'. I understand the intent of the promotion and the desired result - I understand they are business and have an agenda - but in the end it is my opinion that it turned out to be less than 'VERY big'.....their words, not mine.

Thank you again well written in a professional way,

Haven't read all the way through so this may have been addressed already.

Looking to book first cruise- is this new kids free promo a better deal then FL res/military discounts? Anyone look at that yet?

this is for 2 adults and 2 kids (12 and 10)

TIA!

It depends on when you want to go. i looked at the end of Jan when a Cat 12 cost general public $299 pp, for FL resident it is $349 and you can not combine the Fl resident rate with the free kids.

Actually, DCL has lowered rates in the past and has credited the accounts of anyone who notices and asks for it as an onboard credit if it is after the final payment was made. This happened on our 12/9/06 cruise between the 60 and 30 day mark the price of the cat 12 dropped greatly and MANY people called DCL to switch from a higher category to a cat 12, the families of 4 knew that they would get at least a cat 11 and most got cat 10s. DCL gave them a credit for the difference. Most of them did not get their room assignments until they checked in at the terminal. I know this because I was responsible for the listing of the group for the FE gifts and had to do a major overhaul on it after the new cat 12 rates came out and had people giving me their new room numbers in the terminal before we boarded.

So, since DCL has given credits like this in the past if the cruise was already paid in full, it is going to disappoint people who were hoping that they would do this again.

He's pricing the Freedom class, inside lowest catagory, I'd done the same thing and found Liberty sailing for almost 1500 more out of Miami. I still think 2476 for DCL for 4 is a great deal, there's a big upgrade potential with them selling many more Cat 12's than they have but even if they get 11 or 12, the inside cabin is bigger than the Freedom inside (152 sf I think). Lowest inside for 4 is getting the 2956 rate out of PC on Freedom and 3956 out of Miami on Liberty that weekend. I think it's interesting that it is a grand less out of PC. I think DCL Cat 12 promo's may have spurred that.

If someone is sort of "over" DCL b/c have done it so many times, I can see going on Freedom for $500 more and buying soda cards and such. If you like DCL quality, I'm not sure you'll ever do better than 2476 for 4 at beginning of summer. The RCCL ships are big, 3k for 4 in an inside room may very well come again.

Ohhh I gotcha.

There are always deals to be had though. My sailing on RCL Independence of the Seas....the insides for a 6 night sailing (Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel) have a guarantee price for $349.00 per person.

I won't stay in an inside....but even the balconies and suites were not that bad. ;)

And I don't drink soda. ;) No need for a soda card when I drink the free iced tea. :thumbsup2

Although this promo doesn't help me, I'm personally thankful I at least had a heads up that something was coming. I would've been disappointed if I didn't know and it would've benefitted me, but I missed out because I didn't know. Some people can and will consider this "VERY big". Think of all the people, especially new ones, that are coming to WDW to take advantage of the 4/3 deal. Now they see this shortened cruise and may decide they can afford it. I have my 1st cruise booked for 10/31/10. I only booked a 4 night and am taking 2 years to pay on it because that's the only way I can really comfortably afford it. If I would've had this deal I would've jumped on it just to test out cruising.

niciggy - i am in the same "boat". Would qualify for the new deal and savings of about $300 if I hadn't made reservations and paid in full 3 days ago!! :sad1:

I DO understand that Disney is a business that needs to generate profits, so I am just hoping that those of us who paid more are first in line to upgrade our rooms.

BTW, Disney DOES up the cost of hotel rooms EVEN after you've paid in full and makes you pay the difference when they increase the cost of the rooms later. There is small fine print that you agree to that allows them to do so. I have read threads about this on the Dis Boards. So it would be nice if they did the reverse.

Oh well, I'm still terribly excited for our first cruise.

Ohhh I gotcha.

There are always deals to be had though. My sailing on RCL Independence of the Seas....the insides for a 6 night sailing (Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel) have a guarantee price for $349.00 per person.

I won't stay in an inside....but even the balconies and suites were not that bad. ;)

And I don't drink soda. ;) No need for a soda card when I drink the free iced tea. :thumbsup2

I was comparing a 7 night western at the end of May (kids out of school mid May). The balconies and suites were in the $4k to $6K range. Close to double that of the Disney cruise. $799 per person is the absolute cheapest I could find on RC for an inside. I never really planned on cruising again so soon (did a 3 night in Oct and it wasn't enough) but I saw the other thread about good deals and it was hard to pass up. I figured I would have to save a couple of years to afford a 7 night even on RC at those prices. Someone said that those great deals (in the other thread) weren't so great and I got nervous that I wasn't shopping around enough. I'll never be able to afford the big $$$$ some people pay for cruises, but I love for me and the family to have a great vacation at a good price.

I was comparing a 7 night western at the end of May (kids out of school mid May). The balconies and suites were in the $4k to $6K range. Close to double that of the Disney cruise. $799 per person is the absolute cheapest I could find on RC for an inside. I never really planned on cruising again so soon (did a 3 night in Oct and it wasn't enough) but I saw the other thread about good deals and it was hard to pass up. I figured I would have to save a couple of years to afford a 7 night even on RC at those prices. Someone said that those great deals (in the other thread) weren't so great and I got nervous that I wasn't shopping around enough. I'll never be able to afford the big $$$$ some people pay for cruises, but I love for me and the family to have a great vacation at a good price.

You can be happy with your deal. You are sailing early summer 2009 for a booked upon openning 2007 hurricane season kids in school type price! You've checked out the competition that week and they are higher with a smaller room (if sailing cheapest) and you know you like DCL. With the overselling of Cat 12's, you may even get an upgrade and if you don't, just think about how little time you are in the room anyway. Accounting for soda cards, if you like them, and bringing booze on board, if you drink, it may actually be closer to a grand cheaper to go DCL. The big RCCL ships have some great things DCL doesn't and you may want to try them some time but you might as well wait until they are cheaper than DCL the week you want to go. DCL being so much cheaper than RCCL is a rare event.

Actually, DCL has lowered rates in the past and has credited the accounts of anyone who notices and asks for it as an onboard credit if it is after the final payment was made. This happened on our 12/9/06 cruise between the 60 and 30 day mark the price of the cat 12 dropped greatly and MANY people called DCL to switch from a higher category to a cat 12, the families of 4 knew that they would get at least a cat 11 and most got cat 10s. DCL gave them a credit for the difference. Most of them did not get their room assignments until they checked in at the terminal. I know this because I was responsible for the listing of the group for the FE gifts and had to do a major overhaul on it after the new cat 12 rates came out and had people giving me their new room numbers in the terminal before we boarded.

So, since DCL has given credits like this in the past if the cruise was already paid in full, it is going to disappoint people who were hoping that they would do this again.
It's also going to remove the incentive people have to book far in advance...especially for off-peak cruising season. You're correct that DCL has adjusted rates in the past. I booked a January cruise back in the fall of 2007 when on our previous cruise. Even though I had made final payment and was within the cancellation penalty period, DCL adjusted me to the recently released Florida resident rates. Saved a few hundred dollars even with the loss of my 10% discount and OBC's for re-booking onboard.

I know if I booked a year or two ago and someone was able to get on the same cruise today for hundreds less than I paid, I'd be SERIOUSLY upset with DCL.

Hey...I've got a great idea..why doesn't DCL just give away all their cruises?? Will that make everyone happy??

Everyone sails for free...DCL (a for profit business), will eventually go under... and then everyone can complain how someone else is screwing them over!!

Sounds like a winning deal to me!! :confused3

DCL can't please everyone. They have empty cabins and are trying to fill them. If this promo doesn't get enough bodies..they will do something else.

Restaurants are empty..what do they do?? They put out coupons. They want bodies in their establishments. Not everyone gets the military discounts..or the Fl Residents or others. Just the way the cookie crumbles. What about all the complaints for free dining just during Aug and Sept. Well that's when they had rooms to fill. Now they have it longer, why...open rooms.

When I bought my first home 18 years ago, the housing market fell. I got a brand new townhouse for 115,000!! Great deal..they blew out of the development. The people that previously bought for 45,000 more, but were waiting for it to be built were PO'ed big time. But..they couldn't stop the deals. They couldn't sue..they were out of luck.

If you can take advantage of a great deal..great!! If not..well maybe the next one will be for you. This promo will get alot of people that never cruised DCL before and will want to try. That will hook em for a long time. Great promo from a business stand point. They are gonna have a few more ships to fill in a few years...time to get more of us addicted!!

well said I totally agree with everything you said here:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter