VOLCANO BAY.....INFO AND QUESTION THREAD........

No, it actually locks. The first day, it just had a combination lock. On our second day, they replace the combi lock with one that worked with the Tapu. It was a clear plug thing. You would push it down with your Tapu face on it, and it would lock. To unlock, you would push it down again with the same Tapu. I had an expensive camera that I wanted to lock up, so I absolutely needed a locker. It was a good size box too. I was able to fit my big DSLR with decent size lens, 2 smart phones, 2 Kindles, a small water camera, a Go Pro with a short stick, and a small wallet with about 1/3 to half the room to spare. I did have to stack some things. My only complaint is that we needed a separate table. We would use the lock box as a table but kept having to remove stuff to get in it.

Phew! That's a big relief Thank you!

@soniam, a couple of questions for you.

We have 2 of the premium seating reserved since there are 4 in our family. How far apart are they? Can they be scooted closer together, if needed?

In all of the pictures I've seen of the loungers, they're completely flat down/reclined. I assume they go up and down? Do you feel the canopies provided adequate shade?

When I reserved the seating by phone about 6 weeks ago, I received an email confirmation and it also stated this:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR TICKETS

spacer.gif

To pick up your tickets, follow the signs to the Will Call Kiosks, which are only located at the front gate of either Universal Studios Florida™ or Universal's Islands of Adventure™ theme parks. To redeem your tickets at the Will Call Kiosks you will need the credit card used for this purchase and either the QR code or order confirmation number seen to the left.

Do I actually need to redeem anything ahead of time or do I just go to guest services at the park to be taken to the area? I already have my tickets.

Thanks in advance!

The hours for Volcano Bay changed again, the remainder of June now has 9PM closings (past the 17th it was 10PM closings before). July still has the 10PM closing.

Universal does not like late hours. If Volcano Bay ran from 11AM to 11PM, I'd be in heaven.

This makes me sad. When I am going, in September, the parks are scheduled to close at 7pm and 8pm. I LOVE theme parks at night. I think Volcano Bay would be gorgeous at night. But I understand for safety they may not want the rides open in the dark.

This makes me sad. When I am going, in September, the parks are scheduled to close at 7pm and 8pm. I LOVE theme parks at night. I think Volcano Bay would be gorgeous at night. But I understand for safety they may not want the rides open in the dark.

I think it is more to allow construction crews to finish things that were not done on opening day and are not yet complete (red slide stairs, VOl encounter, a lot of the TAPU interactive stations, private cabanas, etc.) Every hour they can keep working on the park after close is an hour closer to finishing it. The nighttime show doesn't seem to be working right now anyways.

@soniam, a couple of questions for you.

We have 2 of the premium seating reserved since there are 4 in our family. How far apart are they? Can they be scooted closer together, if needed?

In all of the pictures I've seen of the loungers, they're completely flat down/reclined. I assume they go up and down? Do you feel the canopies provided adequate shade?

When I reserved the seating by phone about 6 weeks ago, I received an email confirmation and it also stated this:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR TICKETS

spacer.gif

To pick up your tickets, follow the signs to the Will Call Kiosks, which are only located at the front gate of either Universal Studios Florida™ or Universal's Islands of Adventure™ theme parks. To redeem your tickets at the Will Call Kiosks you will need the credit card used for this purchase and either the QR code or order confirmation number seen to the left.

Do I actually need to redeem anything ahead of time or do I just go to guest services at the park to be taken to the area? I already have my tickets.

Thanks in advance!

I think the proximity may depend upon your village. We had Rainforest Village. Our lounger was in a small beach area near the Fearless River, right behind the Bambu restaurant. There were only 3 other premium loungers in this small area. They were pushed back into little sandy cutouts with landscaping between them. The loungers were probably separated by 5 feet. I don't think they could have been scooted together easily in this area. Other areas were just large beaches with the premium loungers mostly at the back. It could be possible to scoot those maybe. They are heavy though and might require help from the attendant. I didn't see any that were specifically right next to each other, but I wasn't looking either. They may have ones already set up this way, since I am sure people reserve multiple and want to be together. We only reserved 1, since it was just the 2 of us.

They go up and down and have notches to catch at different points. Just like a regular lounger.

I think the shade from the awnings really depends upon what time of day and which direction you face. The loungers near us faced north/northeast sort of towards Cabana Bay but on the other side of the volcano. By midday and afternoon, most of them were not really shady. Ours in the middle was being shaded mostly by a large umbrella. The family at the end did manage to swivel theirs and move the awning down over the front of the loungers a bit. I don't think there would have been much room to swivel our lounger, but I'm not sure. The other lounger was in full sun and the groups that had it on our 2 days were not happy. I think the Wave Village loungers may be better off, because they seem to face north/northwest. Plus, I remember more trees at the back of the volcano beach. This map may help some with the beach locations. I don't think it lists where the villages are specifically though. I am debating on whether to change our premium lounger location for late July. If we get one of the 2 on the same beach as before in Rainforest Village, I think we would be OK. However, if we got the other one on our beach or somewhere else, it could be in a lot of sun. I am pastie and value my shade. The other location that I thought might be good was the exit beach for the Fearless River, called Hammerhead Beach, or the exit beach for Maku and Puihi. Those beaches face north/northwest. Look at the map above the linked one below to see the key better. I was really surprised that the our longer faced north/northeast. You can see the Punga Racers emblem on the map; we sat at the back of the little beach bottom right of that ride and faced toward the volcano/racers. I am used to the sun setting more in the south/west here in Texas in the summer.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/map-of-volcano-bay-cabanas.3607449/#post-57670546

To get your longers, you don't need to go to a will-call kiosk or ticket window. I brought the print out of my email, but it wasn't needed. Go to one of the Concierge kiosks inside Volcano Bay. There's one just on the left as you enter. It gets pretty busy with a long line, but I think all of the info is stored at that one. You can also redeem express pass there and rent towels. I did get the express pass paper tickets/vouchers at a will-call at our hotel; I don't know if I needed to do that though. The other Concierge hut that I know of is across from the Bambu restaurant. Since that's near the Rainforest Village, that's where we went the 2nd day. The line was short, but it took forever, 30+ minutes, to get my lounger assignment:sad2: They said they had to get it over the radio, maybe back from that first hut, and that radio traffic was terrible. I hope this process improves.

I think it is more to allow construction crews to finish things that were not done on opening day and are not yet complete (red slide stairs, VOl encounter, a lot of the TAPU interactive stations, private cabanas, etc.) Every hour they can keep working on the park after close is an hour closer to finishing it. The nighttime show doesn't seem to be working right now anyways.

I think @RalphinSC is right. I think it's to finish construction. However, I don't know how the lifeguards could see anybody in that wave pool when the sun was setting to the north/northeast and was glaring massively off the water. I could barely see my son. I am glad that he chose to wear a life jacket, even though he's a pretty good swimmer and wasn't required to. Plus the wave pool is huge. We never really saw any night time show when we stayed until after 8pm one night during Memorial Day weekend. We saw a little bit of colored "smoke" from the volcano.

The hours for Volcano Bay changed again, the remainder of June now has 9PM closings (past the 17th it was 10PM closings before). July still has the 10PM closing.

They still aren't showing early entry at VB for hotel guests on the early entry calendar for anything past June 4th. Do you know if that's true? That kind of irks me, since that's the only perk that hotel guests get at VB. We would absolutely use that extra hour for our late July trip, because otherwise, we could get into one of the parks at 8am.

They still aren't showing early entry at VB for hotel guests on the early entry calendar for anything past June 4th. Do you know if that's true? That kind of irks me, since that's the only perk that hotel guests get at VB. We would absolutely use that extra hour for our late July trip, because otherwise, we could get into one of the parks at 8am.

Hi this interesting I am wondering the same thing. I think I am going to make a call. Thanks:)

Hi I did check the website and it is on EE for July. It will be 8:00 am for resort guests. I also made a call and spoke to guest services and they told me that they will be keeping early entry for VB.:goodvibes

this is from their website today:

Early Park Admission At Universal's Volcano Bay™
Weather permitting, on-site resort hotel guests and other select groups can access Universal's Volcano Bay™ (valid theme park admission is required) on the following days:

June 2017
Jun. 1-30: 8 am

July 2017
Jul. 1-31: 8 am

August 2017
Aug. 1-31: 9 am

this is from their website today:

Early Park Admission At Universal's Volcano Bay™
Weather permitting, on-site resort hotel guests and other select groups can access Universal's Volcano Bay™ (valid theme park admission is required) on the following days:

June 2017
Jun. 1-30: 8 am

July 2017
Jul. 1-31: 8 am

August 2017
Aug. 1-31: 9 am

I had just clicked on the early entry link before I posted, and it still only showed VB through June 4th. I decided to reload the website and go to the link again. Now it shows what you have. Must have been cached:confused3 Whew! That makes life easier. Thanks

I had just clicked on the early entry link before I posted, and it still only showed VB through June 4th. I decided to reload the website and go to the link again. Now it shows what you have. Must have been cached:confused3 Whew! That makes life easier. Thanks

your welcome:)

Bobbie we all appreciate that you are sharing the info

This is why the boards and UO forums work well

We help each other out

UO has always been great to make personal calls to those that contct them detailed info by a live employee is beneficial for all

Your welcome it is my pleasure to help us all any way possible to have a great trip:goodvibes

Thanks, @soniam, I always appreciate your detailed/informative responses. We'll be in the Wave Village, so hopefully it won't be too bad. I don't mind the sun, I just want to be able to have some shade. I guess I'll go to the first concierge desk even if it has a longer line because it sounds like they're more efficient.

I think the proximity may depend upon your village. We had Rainforest Village. Our lounger was in a small beach area near the Fearless River, right behind the Bambu restaurant. There were only 3 other premium loungers in this small area. They were pushed back into little sandy cutouts with landscaping between them. The loungers were probably separated by 5 feet. I don't think they could have been scooted together easily in this area. Other areas were just large beaches with the premium loungers mostly at the back. It could be possible to scoot those maybe. They are heavy though and might require help from the attendant. I didn't see any that were specifically right next to each other, but I wasn't looking either. They may have ones already set up this way, since I am sure people reserve multiple and want to be together. We only reserved 1, since it was just the 2 of us.

They go up and down and have notches to catch at different points. Just like a regular lounger.

I think the shade from the awnings really depends upon what time of day and which direction you face. The loungers near us faced north/northeast sort of towards Cabana Bay but on the other side of the volcano. By midday and afternoon, most of them were not really shady. Ours in the middle was being shaded mostly by a large umbrella. The family at the end did manage to swivel theirs and move the awning down over the front of the loungers a bit. I don't think there would have been much room to swivel our lounger, but I'm not sure. The other lounger was in full sun and the groups that had it on our 2 days were not happy. I think the Wave Village loungers may be better off, because they seem to face north/northwest. Plus, I remember more trees at the back of the volcano beach. This map may help some with the beach locations. I don't think it lists where the villages are specifically though. I am debating on whether to change our premium lounger location for late July. If we get one of the 2 on the same beach as before in Rainforest Village, I think we would be OK. However, if we got the other one on our beach or somewhere else, it could be in a lot of sun. I am pastie and value my shade. The other location that I thought might be good was the exit beach for the Fearless River, called Hammerhead Beach, or the exit beach for Maku and Puihi. Those beaches face north/northwest. Look at the map above the linked one below to see the key better. I was really surprised that the our longer faced north/northeast. You can see the Punga Racers emblem on the map; we sat at the back of the little beach bottom right of that ride and faced toward the volcano/racers. I am used to the sun setting more in the south/west here in Texas in the summer.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/map-of-volcano-bay-cabanas.3607449/#post-57670546

To get your longers, you don't need to go to a will-call kiosk or ticket window. I brought the print out of my email, but it wasn't needed. Go to one of the Concierge kiosks inside Volcano Bay. There's one just on the left as you enter. It gets pretty busy with a long line, but I think all of the info is stored at that one. You can also redeem express pass there and rent towels. I did get the express pass paper tickets/vouchers at a will-call at our hotel; I don't know if I needed to do that though. The other Concierge hut that I know of is across from the Bambu restaurant. Since that's near the Rainforest Village, that's where we went the 2nd day. The line was short, but it took forever, 30+ minutes, to get my lounger assignment:sad2: They said they had to get it over the radio, maybe back from that first hut, and that radio traffic was terrible. I hope this process improves.

@Music City Mama
Correction. I got mixed up on the maps. The link that I posted has west at the top, so we were facing north/northwest, which makes more sense. I still think Hammerhead and the wave pool beach might be better, since they face more south/southwest. I think Hammerhead is part of the River Village, since it's the exit for the Fearless River; however, I could be wrong.

EDIT: I found the other map that lists which attractions are in which village. The Fearless River is also considered the Rainforest Village.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/map-of-volcano-bay-cabanas.3607449/#post-57670841

Last edited:
Thanks, @soniam, I always appreciate your detailed/informative responses. We'll be in the Wave Village, so hopefully it won't be too bad. I don't mind the sun, I just want to be able to have some shade. I guess I'll go to the first concierge desk even if it has a longer line because it sounds like they're more efficient.

They are all labeled as "concierge". I just think the larger, main one is near the entrance.

Well, the schedule right now, shows VB closing at 6pm on the days I am there.

Well, the schedule right now, shows VB closing at 6pm on the days I am there.

That's a bummer. I guess the could always increase it if they think the crowds will support it. I be they think it won't be very busy when you go. Is it closer to "winter"?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter