VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Speaking of Silverado, Tammy had a very nice glass of Cab Sauv. yesterday at Carthay Circle. The food was tasty too!
I had the Salmon
View attachment 382023

Our room at GCV
View attachment 382024

Guardians of the Galaxy
View attachment 382025

Really had a great time on Incredicoaster, and Radiator Springs Racers is very cool too
View attachment 382026

Jimmy, glad to hear you’re having a fun trip! Aulani is on our list, and after 2 trips to VGC the whole DL/CA experience has a very special spot in my heart. I hope you enjoyed Carthay Circle as much as we did, I really enjoyed the meal, the atmosphere, & especially some drink I had from the menu (it said it was Walt’s favorite, scotch over crushed ice with lemon peel — I think it was called a Scotch Mist if memory serves...)

I’m getting the itch to return to California to see the reimaginations or California Screamin’ & ToT into GOTG along with the StarWars land....

I also think I’d like to see 60’ waves......Lake Superior has 15-20 during a November storm (record is 28.8), so 60’ would be a great.

Can’t wait to see more pictures and impressions of DL/CA.

As for 2020 and VWL, that's our goal, as well. We have a Christmas cruise this year (preceded by two days at the Lodge), but we're planning a full 10-day stay at our home in 2020. Perhaps that will shape up as a good Groupie Meet year for those who've yet to have a holiday meet.

Looks like 2020 will be a good year. It is looking like that will be the next time that Kati and I can make it for a December trip.

Hope all the groupies have been staying warm and well. Texas is a soggy mess. It has been a really wet year, plus with the temperature swings that we have going on. 80's and then 30's by the same evening!!! Luckily when we have rain it is always above freezing.

Thanks for all the Birthday well wishes folks!!!

Life is good around here. In 2 days we are off to Hawaii for a 4 night stay at Waikiki then 6 nights at Aulani, followed by 5 nights at GCV(our 1st time ever in Disneyland!!) Its a long trip but wanted to make the most of flight time as possible.
Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you are enjoying your trip. If my calculations are correct, it is coming to an end soon. I wanted to say that I wanted t combine DLR and Aulani in a few years (2022 or 2023) bc of that very reason. We are in GA so we rarely head out to the west coast. But DH says it will be too much to do both so now its just a DLR plan and I guess Aulani will have to be in the works for further down the road. Oh well.

Ron
Carthay Circle was very good! I had an old fashion that was probably the best I have ever had.

Ariel
Thanks for the Bday wishes:goodvibes I think now that we have done DL, we would have no issue just flying back out here, do DL andmaybe after a few days, rent a car and drive north to see more of Calif. rather than combine Hawaii and DL. Then catch Southwest somewhere back to NC.

We ate at Cafe Orleans last night(Had to have the Monte Cristo)and it was very good. An observation...the food seems better here at DL than WDW. Maybe its just the excitement of something new, but my bunch feels the same way. Not saying we dont like WDW food, but we are a bit more selective about which places we eat in WDW. Seems since the DDP came into place, the food has been dumbed down a bit at WDW, like we will accept anything.
upload_2019-2-13_11-6-36.jpeg

Found Mr. Toad. This was our 1st experience with Mr. Toad and I very much enjoyed him driving us around. Our 1st trip to WDW was in 1999 and my understanding is Winnie The Pooh opened just before we got there, and Mr. Toad had to make way for him. I like Pooh, but there could definitely be room for Mr. Toad again
upload_2019-2-13_11-13-3.jpeg

Look who was riding the Carousel! You see a lot more characters here.
upload_2019-2-13_11-16-36.jpeg

I don't think your observation about the food is off at all, JT. Many who visit both DL and WDW posit that the food at the former is of a better quality. We found the same thing, and I believe it's for the exact reason you state--the DDP. I don't mean to denigrate those who go on the plan (heck, we used it a couple of times years ago), but it stands to reason that if you pay one mass price for a product, it will be produced in those general terms. Further, as so many articulate, Disney is in the business of making money, so if they offer a package, it suits their bottom line, i.e., they make more than they would otherwise. At any rate, the food items at DL seem more freshly made with more attention to detail in many instances. A couple of years ago, we had the pico de gallo that was a condiment at Rancho Zocalo (I think that's the name), and it was amazingly fresh and bright, as though you'd stepped into a good Tex-Mex joint that had house made salsa. If you have to make your product to get people to buy it, seems logical you'd make a good version versus making food to which people have already "bought" into. It's a tenuous, mostly anecdotal observation, but I still hold it to be true.

If you have to make your product to get people to buy it, seems logical you'd make a good version versus making food to which people have already "bought" into. It's a tenuous, mostly anecdotal observation, but I still hold it to be true.

Yep, this is it! It describes what's going on. WDW is a destination vacation, DL is a local visit with the occasional tourist(that would be me). So it goes to say, the locals are going to be a harder sell, you better serve up the best or they will go home and eat, or stop at a place otw home, rather than spend their money in the parks. Even the QS places are good. Not sub par food, but tasty. Had one of those talked often about corn dogs. I dont order them most places because they are never cooked well enough for me. This one was done well, had a good taste and loved the crunchy feel on the outside. I would never order a corn dog in WDW.

Dont get me wrong folks, I am not bashing WDW. I love WDW and feel very fortunate to be able to go there often. But WDW could take some lessons from DL in the food area.

Dont get me wrong folks, I am not bashing WDW. I love WDW and feel very fortunate to be able to go there often. But WDW could take some lessons from DL in the food area.

Many who visit both DL and WDW posit that the food at the former is of a better quality.

Jimmy...I have to agree with you and Sleepy. And Jimmy, I think you hit the nail on the head...WDW has a "captive audience" while DL is mostly a day trip for locals who have many other eating options (including going home). So the price/value of food at DL has to be better.

How have the crowds been at DL? When we went last April they were really crowded. And unfortunately, the main coaster, Fantasmic and World of Color were all down when we were there.

Have you gone to see "Frozen" at the Hyperion theater? Even if you aren't a big fan of the movie, it's well worth seeing at DL. The theater and the experience are pretty amazing.

I go back and forth between OKW and VWL as the favorites among the ones I've visited (also BLT, BCV, BWV, and SSR). The units are large, well-appointed, and the verandahs/patios are HUGE. Also, the resort just whispers "island time" everywhere you look. Somehow it's the only other of the six I've been at aside from VWL that managed to evoke a "sense of place" be.
Do you have a favorite section of OKW?

Do you have a favorite section of OKW?
I dont mean to hone in, but we like the Turtle Pond area. Its quiet, not a far walk to the front, and if in a 1 bed, the bathroom layout affords all involved a bit more privacy

Jimmy...I have to agree with you and Sleepy. And Jimmy, I think you hit the nail on the head...WDW has a "captive audience" while DL is mostly a day trip for locals who have many other eating options (including going home). So the price/value of food at DL has to be better.

How have the crowds been at DL? When we went last April they were really crowded. And unfortunately, the main coaster, Fantasmic and World of Color were all down when we were there.

Have you gone to see "Frozen" at the Hyperion theater? Even if you aren't a big fan of the movie, it's well worth seeing at DL. The theater and the experience are pretty amazing.

Crowds are manageable. Monday was bit more crowded at CA but I believe it was more related to it being Anaheim Mighty Ducks day, because we saw a lot of folks wearing jerseys, t shirts and sweats with Ducks on them. But Tues-Wed have been very manageable.

Incredicoaster has been open and we are going to ride again today(if rain co-operates)! I screamed my head off on that one. I told T it is now my favorite coaster, it has it all, fast take off(like RNRC), high and low drops, great banked turns, great surprise drops, and an upside down loop. The only thing, and its really not needed, that would make it the ultimate coaster fans dream ride, one of those really high(been on one at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Apollos Chariot, 285' up)drops. And seriously, it is so long, and so fast, and all it has, it really is an ultimate coaster fans dream already, IMO. Fantastmic, to be honest, I dont know if its been going on or not, and WOC won't be going until Feb. 22. But we have had enough to see and do so dont feel like I have missed anything.

I would have missed Frozen had it not been for you! It is WAYYYYYYYYY better than its cuz in FL. I was amazed at a quick change of wardrobe of Elsa on the stairs, to the point of a "wow, how did they do that" moment. I feel the shows in general here are done better than FL. Makes me wonder if there is so much more talent in this concentrated area that DL can be more selective:confused3. Maybe based on it being LA/Hollyweird, maybe not. I have to say, I have seen a lot "actress/actor" looking types around here. Its funny, no disrespect to anyone, but a lot of long haired, skinny blonds with the exact same hairdo. Its like they all came from a screen-test straight over to DL:rotfl:
I did have one semi celeb encounter. And it took me 2 days raking my brain on who she was. Her name is Elizabeth Mitchell. I saw her and another lady eating lunch at Carthay Circle on Mon. She was in Lost, Revolution and played Mrs Claus in Santa Clause 2 among other things.

And there are more shows in general. We saw The Laughing Stock Co at the Diamond Horseshoe yesterday, though cheesy(think HDDR)it was done well, had my tickle bone active. Then we saw a show at the Royal Theatre, Beauty and the Beast. Not what I was expecting(was thinking condensed version of the same at HS), instead, a couple narrators were telling story but incorporating themselves into it, which made for a funny re-telling of the story.

Got to ride in the front of the Monorail. I know the driver was getting a kick out of me as I was like a kid in a candy store as I was craning my neck looking out the window and soaking it all in. I was thinking back on a recent article I read by Bob Gurr(a few of y'all know the story of his signature at TOTWL)as he spoke how Walt was getting antsy to get the Monorail underway after then VP Richard Nixon finally got the ribbon cut with Walts help(scissors weren't sharp enough). Walt told Bob to hop in the driver seat much to Bobs uneasy feeling with it. The doors opened and Walt pushed Nixon onboard, and left the secret service standing with mouths open. Bob said as they circled around he began to realize he and Walt may be arrested once back at the start...they had just kidnapped the Vice President of the USA!!:laughing:
upload_2019-2-14_11-39-48.jpeg upload_2019-2-14_11-52-52.jpeg

Here are the 2 guys I mentioned in the BATB show who took it too a very comical level
upload_2019-2-14_11-56-18.jpeg

The Laughing Stock Co. at the Diamond Horseshoe. The balcony was where Walt dropped to the stage to entertain the crowd on he and Lillys anniversary a night or or so before DL opening in 55
upload_2019-2-14_11-59-32.jpeg

I am amazed at how many characters are available to see, even on a whim. We saw these lovely ladies as we exited Great Moments with Mr Lincoln
upload_2019-2-14_12-7-50.jpeg

The bench from Griffith Park where Walt sat and watched his daughters ride the carousel and he been to dream up DL
upload_2019-2-14_12-10-52.jpeg

HM
upload_2019-2-14_12-19-29.jpeg

Some may recognize this fellow
upload_2019-2-14_12-21-6.jpeg

So...since Jimmy has opened up the subject of Hawaii and Aulani....

I don't think we've talked about the new Atlantis resort planned to be built next to Aulani, have we? I apologize if we have...sometimes I can't remember what we've covered here or not.

In any event, here's a rendering of a proposed new Atlantis resort that will be built next to Aulani...

View attachment 379748

For those who are not familiar with Aulani, it is the brown building in the right side of the picture. The white building behind Aulani is the Four Seasons. And the spaceship is the new Atlantis.

Interesting, to say the least. They put the rooms up front and the pool features in back (very near to the road as you can see in the picture).

So anyone on the fence about visiting Aulani, this would be the time to go! That Battleship Gallactica resort will definitely affect some of the views at Aulani. Not so much obstruct the ocean view but just be in the peripheral vision all the time. And for those rooms facing the Atlantis, they will have a straight shot look at the resort instead of the current ocean views (even though they are mostly not classified as Ocean View).

There goes the neighborhood! :eek:
What in the what is that monstrosity??? Ugggggggly. There is absolutely no way for us to go now and probably not for several years so I guess we will get to see that horrible mess once we do. :sad2:

Great pics, JT! The characters ARE a lot more available there, and you often see them spontaneously appearing unlike at the World. Such a more intimate and satisfying feeling in many ways. Last year, Luv, DD, and I got to ride in the front of the monorail. Luv and I also did it on her surprise BD trip a few years before that. Like you, I was such a kid sitting up there! We waited a good 35-40 minutes this last time, but it's worth the wait. There is an unmistakable sense of nostalgia at DL you just don't get at WDW. Your photo of the bench reminded me of one of our favorite Disney movies: Saving Mr. Banks. Keep the pics coming!

Nearly 36 hours without a post?! That's, that's, well. . .that's inconceivable! (Name that movie) Luv keeps after me to take her to Hawai'i since she's never been, and the lovely pics coming from JT aren't helping. We wound up watching YouTube videos last night of Aulani, most of them not terribly well done.
Someone has probably already answered, but "Princess Bride" would be the movie.

You should see all the promo material for Aulani on the Disney Travel Agents website. Oh as soon as I did the training I knew we had to go experience it. It is very well done.

Looks kind of like a giant beached whale skeleton.

What in the what is that monstrosity??? Ugggggggly. There is absolutely no way for us to go now and probably not for several years so I guess we will get to see that horrible mess once we do. :sad2:

Kathy & Renee...I apologize...I was trying to be funny with Jimmy's view picture from Aulani. What I did was take his beautiful view photo, and just pasted in a clipping of Battlestar Galactica

Aulani new pic.jpg

battlestar-galactica-wallpaper-12.jpg

Although the actual Atlantis plans look a little bit like the space ship!

So I plead guilty to committing humor by sarcasm. I fall on the mercy of the court.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter