• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

We had plans to go to Italy this weekend that we obviously canceled.
You're doing the right thing not flying to Italy, thank you for that.
I have my family there - I live abroad - and the situation that they describe is really miserable. They aren't even in one of the most affected zones, but still, their life changed completely since the past 10 days and nobody can see when and how things will be back to normal. We all hope Italy will become a cool vacation destination as soon as the emergency is over: the people there will need also the tourists help to start anew.

You're doing the right thing not flying to Italy, thank you for that.
I have my family there - I live abroad - and the situation that they describe is really miserable. They aren't even in one of the most affected zones, but still, their life changed completely since the past 10 days and nobody can see when and how things will be back to normal. We all hope Italy will become a cool vacation destination as soon as the emergency is over: the people there will need also the tourists help to start anew.
I volunteer as tribute 8-) I love Italy and have a big anniversary and birthday on the horizon...

I'm not really that concerned about getting sick. I'm more concerned about getting stuck in FL for some reason . . . ugh.

That is my concern, as well.

I’m fortunate (?) that my trip isn’t until the week of Memorial Day. I feel like by then, my family will be able to make a highly educated decision regarding our trip. I feel bad for everyone who has travel plans in the next few weeks and has everything so up in the air.

We have a trip in May (an unexpected babymoon, there goes our go big/go home trip in July)

Unless this gets to walking dead/spanish flu like levels, I'm still going. If we're not allowed to go (like if my employer bans all discretionary personal travel) We paid for the flights with points, so if we need to cancel, it's not a big deal as far as those are concerned. We'll just move the trip to a later point in the year.

I'm just posting this here to keep info. on this thread current....

Someone started a thread asking if UT tickets were refundable. Someone else responded that they are not, if they are linked to MDE. I mentioned in a prior post on this thread that this is not true and UT will refund hard tickets (or make changes to purchasing flexible date tix if needed) within the 90 period. Everyone should check their refund policy as some tix may have different requirements. (for example, my dd has Uni tix purchased as a special and they are not refundable.) Either way... call UT if you have hard tickets to confirm your specific ticket policies.

I've posted this a few places, this is not true. You CAN link your UT hard tickets to MDE and they are still refundable. I just got off the phone again with UT to confirm.

It was the case two years ago that if you linked them to MDE they were non-refundable, but that is not the case now.

Tickets bought from Disney itself are non-refundable.... another reason to purchase from UT, IMO.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/tickets/cancel-change-ticket/
"
Q.

Can I cancel or modify my theme park ticket or vacation package?

A.

Tickets and packages at Walt Disney World Resort are nontransferable and nonrefundable. You cannot cancel or get a refund for a ticket or package, but in some cases you can use unexpired theme park tickets for a future vacation."

Here in Sacramento County, our county Department of Public Health went from a containment approach to a mitigation approach (the same that Kings County is doing up in Washington State). Basically, the advice is to no longer self-quarantine if you've been exposed to someone who has it (because it's not stopping the spread), and to carry on with normal, everyday activities until you're sick. Once you're sick, the advice is to stay home and if you're effectively treating your conditions with over-the-counter medicines, then continue to stay at home, even if it is the coronavirus. And you're only supposed to go to the hospital (1) on advice of your physician, (2) if you're having respiratory problems, or (3) over-the-counter treatment is no longer working.

NPR has a decent summary if you're interested:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...unty-gives-up-on-automatic-14-day-quarantines

We're supposed to leave Saturday and are trying to figure out what to do. We are driving and staying in our own camper at Fort Wilderness for six nights, and only have one park day planned (DHS to see Galaxy's Edge). We live in Canada (18 hours drive to WDW) and so really just want to escape the cold, enjoy some pool time, and relax as a family. Up until a week ago, I wasn't too worried. We will cancel the park day if needed, cook meals at our campsite to avoid crowded restaurants, basically just treat the trip like any other camping trip.... just $150 a night for a place to park our camper. *eye roll*

However, we really do want to avoid being irresponsible disease vectors, and my daughter is a competitive dancer and has her first competition of the year 13 days after we get home. Which honestly, who knows if the competition will even be cancelled, anyway. UGH.

We'll probably just proceed as long as it seems safe-ish to do so, but decide on the park day the day before. We have lots of wipes, hand sanitizer, etc. UGH.

Last edited:
My sister is at Disney right now with my two nieces. She said she is shocked that she never sees any sanitizer stations set up at the rides or thru the parks. None at the food establishments. She even commented that many tables had dirty trays/food left behind by previous patrons in almost every counter service they went to. I am disappointed that Disney is not trying to help people keep safe during this time when COVID-19 is going around and unfortunately, we don't know so much about. I work in public health and yes, people can go into the restrooms and wash their hands (our family does often) but there are a large proportion of the population that will not but if there was sanitizer available, they would probably sanitize because it is convenient and easy. Come on Disney, step up to the plate!!!

Does Disney have the ability to suddenly buy far more hand sanitizer than ever before when hand sanitizer availability is at an all time low?

My sister is at Disney right now with my two nieces. She said she is shocked that she never sees any sanitizer stations set up at the rides or thru the parks. None at the food establishments. She even commented that many tables had dirty trays/food left behind by previous patrons in almost every counter service they went to. I am disappointed that Disney is not trying to help people keep safe during this time when COVID-19 is going around and unfortunately, we don't know so much about. I work in public health and yes, people can go into the restrooms and wash their hands (our family does often) but there are a large proportion of the population that will not but if there was sanitizer available, they would probably sanitize because it is convenient and easy. Come on Disney, step up to the plate!!!
Merged you to the existing thread
I visit the parks often and have seen an increase of hand sanitizing stations all around the parks
As far as dirty tables unfortunately custodial cannot be everywhere at once, people need to take personal accountability and dispose of their trash.

If you’re eating at counter service, you should be picking up your own trash. There is some level of personal responsibility that needs to be applied. We’ve always wiped our tables down again with a sanitizer wipe though. Won’t be anything new for us.

I’ve read many reports of increased access to sanitizers so not sure why your sister didn’t notice them. Still, as long as your washing YOUR hands properly (sanitizer is a poor substitute), then it’s not a huge issue.

Quick question--we are probably going to have to sadly reschedule our April trip. one of our tickets was purchased through UT and is linked to MDE. Do I need to contact UT about changing the dates, or can they do that through Disney (since we were planning to go for Easter, there shouldn’t be any additional cost based on the day).

Do I need to contact UT about changing the dates,
I would call UT directly, since you bought the tickets from them. I went through that scenario on the phone with UT today, in case we have to reschedule. We bought hard tickets, and she said to call and they would refund 100% if you're in the 90 day period and they will reissue new tickets with any additional upcharges for date based. But call anyway, because I'm not sure if all tickets are created equal.

Merged you to the existing thread
I visit the parks often and have seen an increase of hand sanitizing stations all around the parks
As far as dirty tables unfortunately custodial cannot be everywhere at once, people need to take personal accountability and dispose of their trash.

Maybe you saw increased sanitizing stations but my sister went to her third park today and saw VERY few.

Quick question--we are probably going to have to sadly reschedule our April trip. one of our tickets was purchased through UT and is linked to MDE. Do I need to contact UT about changing the dates, or can they do that through Disney (since we were planning to go for Easter, there shouldn’t be any additional cost based on the day).
I have an e-ticket from UT that is linked to MDE, and I have the option to change dates through MDE.

If you’re eating at counter service, you should be picking up your own trash. There is some level of personal responsibility that needs to be applied. We’ve always wiped our tables down again with a sanitizer wipe though. Won’t be anything new for us.

I’ve read many reports of increased access to sanitizers so not sure why your sister didn’t notice them. Still, as long as your washing YOUR hands properly (sanitizer is a poor substitute), then it’s not a huge issue.

Of course they should but unfortunately some don't, so disney should hire people to pick up the garbage, especially when paying over $100/day to get into a park!

Maybe you saw increased sanitizing stations but my sister went to her third park today and saw VERY few.
Not wanting to argue. I visit the parks 3 times a week and can tell you ive seen an increase in hand sanitizing stations in all parks.

Last edited:

We saw hand sanitizer stations all over the place when we were there in Feb; there was usually one near the exit of most rides we went on and near play spaces. Not sure about restaurants as we all go to wash our hands in a restroom before eating.

We are set to leave in about 2 weeks. We are in wait and see mode. I'm trying to put it into perspective and keep my feelings in check because people are dying and suffering because of this, but I'm really bummed. Being a point rental (a large one at that) is making this a really difficult decision for us. It is a huge amount of money to eat. And also DH and I are AP's because of a bonus trip last fall, so even if we could salvage everyone elses tickets (I would guess Disney would do *something* for the regular tickets) there's even more wasted money there. Insurance is not helpful for us unless Canada issues a certain level of travel advisory.

Not looking for any real solutions or advice, because I don't think there's much to be done at this point but wait and see, but yeah.
We're pretty much in the same situation. Leaving in 2 weeks and everything is already paid for. If they close Disneyworld, I suppose we could just enjoy the beach for a week as long as I got a refund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter