WDW resort going forward

Quick semi off topic questions to lockedoutogic and tjkraz.....

What do you use to calculate increases in ticket prices, annual dues, and DP year over year for your DVC stays? Disney announces that you can break even in 5 years. That tells me nothing because I don't know if they factor in tickets, etc. If you want to PM me so that the thread stays on topic, that's fine.

I don't track such things personally...

But a quicks rundown...
We long since made our DVC upfront back if you compare it to rack rate...but I bought 8 years at about half what they cut your throat for now...I'm lucky to have just gotten in before they went crazy with the point cost Increases... Which had Increased about a whopping $20 in the ten years before we bought and has increased $50+ since in 8...
Dues have increase about $75 for the year in 8 years...or the cost of one child's mean at cinderella's royal table (if its not closed for a separate $180 hard ticket event that day)
Tickets have gone berserk...which is my main gripe along with food costs. Far beyond reasonable expectations.
Now Disney will tell me about all their new great things I'm paying for...but that's smoke in many ways. The dream and fantasy are fantastic...I'm sure...but they often use trick accounting to pay for things like dcl as a "parks" investment...nope.
Same with shanghai...California adventure damage control. Even the ridiculous cluster that is known as downtown Disney...

You're pushing it, bubba...charge me for orange and Osceola counties, Fl...if you please

That's just me.

I believe someone over on WDWMagic (might have been Spirit) said occupancy at WL was really low. Something like 50-60%.

That's a huge departure from around 2003...I can tell you that with no uncertainty...

They ran at least 85 in the aggregate...I would guess higher.

It's the price...plain and simple. You can't double it (which they have with change to spare), and add nothing to justify price.

Even the mouse can't shield that rampart.

Thats really surprising. Wilderness lodge also tends to be one of the lower priced deludes as well. Spirit said that most of the conversions would be on club level rooms. I've never stayed at WL always have wanted to but like others have said Deluxe prices at Disney are just too high.

There really aren't any "club level rooms"...

Remember, they slapped "concierge" in there in 2002...
Like...jammed the concept in there sideways.

Is it possible that the paying general public saw behind the curtain at wilderness?

I can hardly believe it...but it sure seems that way.

May all isn't lost for the intelligent consumer wdw needs to get it back on course...

Just out of curiosity, I just did a search on Expedia for a week in a WDW resort in only a week. It might be a slow time but it's so soon.

Wilderness Lodge is $321 per night. That is stunning. Also, just about all of the Disney resorts are available. The Beach Club is sold out as is the Yacht Club and CSR and some of the Villas. Nothing scientific but interesting.

By the way, it looks like the Dolphin is having a good sale. The Disney resorts not so much.

Just out of curiosity, I just did a search on Expedia for a week in a WDW resort in only a week. It might be a slow time but it's so soon. Wilderness Lodge is $321 per night. That is stunning. Also, just about all of the Disney resorts are available. The Beach Club is sold out as is the Yacht Club and CSR and some of the Villas. Nothing scientific but interesting. By the way, it looks like the Dolphin is having a good sale. The Disney resorts not so much.
The dolphin always has discounts and its a good resort. If you're a teacher, nurse, police or firemen I believe they offer special discounts to them as well. It's a deluxe type resort with moderate prices basically. They have so,e excellent restaurants there. Only downsides to when we stayed there in 2012, two huge conventions going on and the pools never seemed to be cleaned.

Just out of curiosity, I just did a search on Expedia for a week in a WDW resort in only a week. It might be a slow time but it's so soon.

Wilderness Lodge is $321 per night. That is stunning. Also, just about all of the Disney resorts are available. The Beach Club is sold out as is the Yacht Club and CSR and some of the Villas. Nothing scientific but interesting.

By the way, it looks like the Dolphin is having a good sale. The Disney resorts not so much.

It's strange that you say that because Jim Hill just said in his recent podcast that the Beach Club is the Deluxe resort with the biggest occupancy problems.:confused3

I don't think Jim is correct

Its interesting, Beach Club would seem to be a property that might have the bigest potential length of stay issue caused by combination of price and SAB.

Just on these boards you see a lot of DIS'ers who talk about a Value/Mod split stay with Beach Club, just to get 1, 2 or 3 days at SAB for the family after spending 4 or 5 nights at AoA, or even off site, for example.

I wonder if that's the occupancy issue he's hearing about....

I believe someone over on WDWMagic (might have been Spirit) said occupancy at WL was really low. Something like 50-60%.

I would think the low occupancy is because WL is neither a deluxe or a mod. The lobby is gorgeous= deluxe.
The rooms are small = mod.
We stayed at the WL in April and won't stay there again. It wasn't worth the money to us. If we're not using DVC points and feel like an staying onsite, we'll spend more and stay at the GF, BC, BW, or CR or we'll spend less and stay at CSR. Likely though, we'd stay at the S/D or at Bonnet Creek. It's hard to stay in a regular room after getting used to DVC or condo like spaces.

It's strange that you say that because Jim Hill just said in his recent podcast that the Beach Club is the Deluxe resort with the biggest occupancy problems.:confused3

The BC has SAB and it's a short walk to Epcot but the lobby has the least wow factor of any of the deluxe resorts, IMO. The set up of Cape May is poor too. The lobby gets crowded with all the people going for the meals.

...Forget economic status of the two groups--for this argument I'll gladly concede that DVC owners are likely in the same tax bracket as those occupying the thousands of Deluxe hotel rooms each night...

I suspect that high income people may be Deluxe hotel candidates, but are not timeshare customers. Timeshares are an attempt to lower the cost of a vacation, with lots of strings attached. With a median income of $74,000, timeshare owners are lower middle class.

The family I know with real money has homes in the Dominican, Cabo, Vail, and Phoenix - plus a private jet to get them there. If they are taking the grand kids to WDW, the jet will land at MCO and a limo will take them to a Deluxe for a week. $500+/night is not a problem when your plane costs $5,000/hour to operate. A timeshare is not in their plans.

I suspect that high income people may be Deluxe hotel candidates, but are not timeshare customers. Timeshares are an attempt to lower the cost of a vacation, with lots of strings attached. With a median income of $74,000, timeshare owners are lower middle class.

The family I know with real money has homes in the Dominican, Cabo, Vail, and Phoenix - plus a private jet to get them there. If they are taking the grand kids to WDW, the jet will land at MCO and a limo will take them to a Deluxe for a week. $500+/night is not a problem when your plane costs $5,000/hour to operate. A timeshare is not in their plans.

Very true...but you are overshooting the "disney deluxe" with your example.

Those buying rooms at the grand Floridian are typically not using a private jet or owning 5 houses for personal use. They have far less in their "portfolios".

The truth is somewhere in the middle...as vacation club isn't a traditional timeshare. It's a significant, but not drastic, upfront discount that the buyer takes with guarantees of huge ancillary purchasing going back to disney. It also has few restrictions...making it user friendly.

Not exactly like vistana or a similar ilk across I-4

Just a summary of thoughts (to "limit" my longwinded ness)

Reddog's report of 79% occupancy...if true...is a gigantic problem if assessed internally. My experience... Circa 12 years ago...is that almost all hotels were booked to 100% (sometimes due to oversells... Story for another day) during peaks and the majority of nights in slower times as well -property wide
As a reference point, they've added pop and art of animation... And dvc conversion/ construction in 4 spots since...but a large amount of villas (roughly 2100 in a rough estimate).

If they hover in the 50-70% range...and can't get to capacity often - then honestly wouldn't be shocked at full conversion to DVC at WL.
Kinda shocked its not under construction already.

And in a rare occurrence... I agree with Jim hill media about beach club.

You can't sniff the place in DVC... But the rack hotel has never been that popular. Even though I still rank it "#1"...and I'm just a tad picky... Due mostly to location, it is just not a great seller in rack rooms.

So it seems to be a fairly easy "problem" to fix.

Remember when they built the villas...DVC was not selling well and they went pretty small.if they had waited just 5 years...I think it would have been vastly different.

Just as I think the lack of "spectacular response" to bay lake had tempered the construction at grand Floridian and poly a bit.

They can go back and convert beach and it will solve that "problem" overnight.

Back gate of EPCOT + frequent travelers love of EPCOT = 100% occupancy at DVC

Price is a huge issue when it comes to Disney resorts. People pay these prices because the disney name is next to it and disney knows it. Disney gets away with charging 500+ a night for rooms because people still pay for it. The conversion is because disney can't fill an entire resort on those prices but maybe 70% of it. I have no actual numbers I, just estimating based off what I've heard and seen. The poly bungalows are supposedly going to cost around 1000 a night if not more according to tikiman. I don't know about you but I'd never pay that much for a room. Disney resorts off property often offer a lot of deluxe amenities for a moderate prices sometimes even less. I like to look at the swan and dolphin as a perfect example. Both hotels are on disney property but are not owned by disney. They have all the disney transportation except for magical express. The hotels are within walking distance of Epcot and a boat ride to DHS. I could book seven days at the dolphin for a family of five for a bit less than Port Orleans Riverside. Both the swan an dolphin have deluxe amenities when it comes to pools, location, and dining. Only downside to these hotels is, they are convention hotels and the one time we stayed there we were surrounded by it that turned us away. Both are still great resorts. Disney is going to keep these prices until people stop buying them at those rates and that doesn't look like its happening any time soon. It's the same with park tickets. People complain and complain that those prices go up every year but everyone still buys them and the parks still see millions.

Never going to happen. At the current point renting cost that is 12 to 14 k a night. You could buy a DVC contract for that.

Another question- are they having a tough time filling deluxe simply because of price? If so, do they really need to be charging $500 a night at the GF to make money? If they lowered the room rates a bit, would that help? And I mean lower them so they are more along the lines of what the Waldorf is charging, i.e. under $300 per night. Usually.

I think that they won't (can't?) lower the deluxe prices because they are the top of the pricing pyramid upon which the rest of the pricing follows. You can't charge $175 for a room at POP during Thanksgiving if the Contemporary isn't charging $600. If they lowered the deluxe prices, they would have to lower the mod and value pricing as well.

Ditto for selling DVC. I think that the inflated deluxe prices help make DVC look like a good deal (whether it really is or not depends on the individual buyer and their circumstances and travel habits).

I think the DVC timeshares are for the hardcore Disney visitors, the people who want their guaranteed trips to Disney. I agree, I don't think income really plays in as much as we think, probably a very wide range of incomes represented. Honestly, I think half of it is spouses cajoling the other spouse into signing, therefore guaranteeing their Disney vacations for the next decade or two or three. I have no data for that ;)

I'm not sure about the private jet crowd. If they are that rich, they can probably fly in and rent a hotel suite at one of the Disney hotels if they want to and not even think about it. So they probably aren't much of a factor in the regular Disney deluxe room business. And maybe going forward they would be more likely to rent a few rooms at the new Four Seasons.

The above post is excellent...

Especially about the prices dragging up moderates and DVC point costs...that is definitely a factor that Disney wouldn't want to being attention to...

Just a summary of thoughts (to "limit" my longwinded ness)

Reddog's report of 79% occupancy...if true...is a gigantic problem if assessed internally. My experience... Circa 12 years ago...is that almost all hotels were booked to 100% (sometimes due to oversells... Story for another day) during peaks and the majority of nights in slower times as well -property wide
As a reference point, they've added pop and art of animation... And dvc conversion/ construction in 4 spots since...but a large amount of villas (roughly 2100 in a rough estimate).

If they hover in the 50-70% range...and can't get to capacity often - then honestly wouldn't be shocked at full conversion to DVC at WL.
Kinda shocked its not under construction already.

And in a rare occurrence... I agree with Jim hill media about beach club.

You can't sniff the place in DVC... But the rack hotel has never been that popular. Even though I still rank it "#1"...and I'm just a tad picky... Due mostly to location, it is just not a great seller in rack rooms.

So it seems to be a fairly easy "problem" to fix.

Remember when they built the villas...DVC was not selling well and they went pretty small.if they had waited just 5 years...I think it would have been vastly different.

Just as I think the lack of "spectacular response" to bay lake had tempered the construction at grand Floridian and poly a bit.

They can go back and convert beach and it will solve that "problem" overnight.

Back gate of EPCOT + frequent travelers love of EPCOT = 100% occupancy at DVC

This brings up key data points we’re missing- what is being converted and how many: is it a wing in each property?, a specific room type(s) that isn’t selling as Deluxe (also meaning, do they realign the room types of what isn’t converted)? What’s the percentage of conversion – 10%, 50%, the whole Property?

Each one of these points to a specific issue(s) they could be trying to resolve and will give a better picture of what they’re trying to accomplish.

So, add in the Four Seasons, and the conversion – this is a pretty big shift in Disney’s approach to “Deluxe” or the illusion of such and how much/what they offer.

I think the DVC timeshares are for the hardcore Disney visitors, the people who want their guaranteed trips to Disney. I agree, I don't think income really plays in as much as we think, probably a very wide range of incomes represented. Honestly, I think half of it is spouses cajoling the other spouse into signing, therefore guaranteeing their Disney vacations for the next decade or two or three. I have no data for that ;)

I'm not sure about the private jet crowd. If they are that rich, they can probably fly in and rent a hotel suite at one of the Disney hotels if they want to and not even think about it. So they probably aren't much of a factor in the regular Disney deluxe room business. And maybe going forward they would be more likely to rent a few rooms at the new Four Seasons.

Yep, we need bring it down several levels from those who have a plane and it’s a bigger demographic.

The mid-range of Deluxe guest does bring a lot of spend to the table for Disney. Dropping 10 grand in spend during 4 days to a week is still no big deal for this group that's several steps down from the jet crowd.

International also needs to be taken into account. Their currency goes pretty far with exchange rates being what they are. That 600 dollar room is $350 to a UK guest from London. Big difference.

The Seasons deal shows just how much ancillary spend the true Deluxe guest brings if they’re willing to give up the room rev to Seasons and just get that ancillary spend from those guests.

It’s expensive providing real deluxe accommodations. The Seasons is taking on that expense. So, Disney decreasing their inventory in this arena with the conversion also seems smarter with the Seasons competition for this guest’s room night on the horizon.

So decreasing their “faux” deluxe inventory with the conversion while increasing DVC, partnering with a true deluxe provider in Seasons, but also increasing their inventory for the really big spenders with the Poly bungalows to go along with their very expensive Suite inventory --- there's some long range demographic realignment going on when looked at together.

Yep, we need bring it down several levels from those who have a plane and it’s a bigger demographic.

The mid-range of Deluxe guest does bring a lot of spend to the table for Disney. Dropping 10 grand in spend during 4 days to a week is still no big deal for this group that's several steps down from the jet crowd.

International also needs to be taken into account. Their currency goes pretty far with exchange rates being what they are. That 600 dollar room is $350 to a UK guest from London. Big difference.

The Seasons deal shows just how much ancillary spend the true Deluxe guest brings if they’re willing to give up the room rev to Seasons and just get that ancillary spend from those guests.

It’s expensive providing real deluxe accommodations. The Seasons is taking on that expense. So, Disney decreasing their inventory in this arena with the conversion also seems smarter with the Seasons competition for this guest’s room night on the horizon.

So decreasing their “faux” deluxe inventory with the conversion while increasing DVC, partnering with a true deluxe provider in Seasons, but also increasing their inventory for the really big spenders with the Poly bungalows to go along with their very expensive Suite inventory --- there's some long range demographic realignment going on when looked at together.

I think the FS deal definitely indicates they are ceding the true luxury segment of the hotel market in Orlando. Or maybe they know that the people likely to stay at the FS weren't staying at the GF anyway?

OTOH, the FS is a huge part of the marketing package in selling Golden Oak. So maybe they were willing to give up that piece of the luxury market (which they weren't truly competing in anyhow) in order to make quick cash selling those super premium homes.

I think the FS deal definitely indicates they are ceding the true luxury segment of the hotel market in Orlando. Or maybe they know that the people likely to stay at the FS weren't staying at the GF anyway?

OTOH, the FS is a huge part of the marketing package in selling Golden Oak. So maybe they were willing to give up that piece of the luxury market (which they weren't truly competing in anyhow) in order to make quick cash selling those super premium homes.

Bingo...

You're "on" today :)

Ancillary spending...and hundreds-of-millions of dollars that Four Seasons is undoubtedly paying to Disney as part of the agreement.

Ancillary spending...and hundreds-of-millions of dollars that Four Seasons is undoubtedly paying to Disney as part of the agreement.

You're correct...but it also brings up the flaw of Disney and their "deluxe" hotels.

Four seasons is owned by some of the wealthiest people on earth (probably because they stayed at Saratoga and wanted housekeeping more than once a week and didnt want to be charged for an extra towel)...
Which means the money it took to buy the wdw development... Or what it costs to service...probably doesn't matter.

Unlike Disney...where right now there are probably...literally... Dozens of meetings going on looking to cut the corners a bit tighter than last week.

But i'm sure things will be "different" when all that money from the dessert parties start rolling in :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter