Weather in December?

katyringo

DIS Veteran
We are coming from Iowa. We lived in Southern California for a year but I for the life of me can't remember about December weather. What should I pack for us? Shorts? Pants? Coats? Thin jackets? Hoodies? Help!

Also we are staying at the hojo and hear great things about their pool. Will it even be warm enough?

When we go in late December, it always seems to be freezing! We've gone in early December and it hasn't been bad. I would say that you'll definitely need a jacket in the early mornings and evenings. Dressing in layers is best. We usually get a locker to leave sweatshirts and jackets so we can grab them when it starts to cool off. Also check the forecast for rain as your dates get closer. December can be very rainy, very dry, or somewhere in between.

So of course, weather is always relative to where you live and what you're used to. Coming from Northern Canada or even Iowa and being in cold whether is not the same as "cold" whether is SoCal or Hawaii. Now having said that, we go every year in December and although yes skies can be clear and sunny, it can feel cold and windy. We usually dress in jeans, a thermal long sleeve under shirt with a t-shirt over the thermal. I'll wear shoes and a beanie too. The kids will wear the same but at night, we also put on a jacket or sweatshirt and gloves. It can get cold at night. Again, relative to what you're used to. Low temps in SoCal is usually around high 30's or low 40's but can fluctuate from there depending on weather patterns.

As others have said, check the weather a few days out and you'll know better of what to pack.

Everything you list sounds about right, probably why your memory is fuzzy, it varies even within the month! Checking the weather right before you leave is your best bet. We had a cold Dec trip: no shorts, no water rides, stayed GCH & used the hot tub only & we wore our robes out to it because the weather was so cold.

We usually pack pants and short sleeve tees etc and bring a light jacket and gloves for the evening as the days are pretty nice like 70's and the evenings cool off. Well at least that's been my experience.

It also depends on your plans at night. When I went in December, the daytime was comfortable and at night I was comfortable in jeans and t-shirt when we were running around going on rides. But when we were just sitting around waiting for candlelight processional, I was freezing and was putting on every article of clothing I had (2 sweatshirts, gloves, hat, leggings under jeans). So if you plan to watch a nighttime show or eat a leisurely outdoor dinner, bring layers.

There was also a lot of variation even within that same trip. One day, I remember it being uncomfortably warm even first thing in the morning, and we were wishing we had shorts.

It cools down at night. That's the big difference.

We've been there in December and it was torrential downpour, just raining to beat the band, all days. It was rain gear and making the best of it.
Other times, it's like summer, but with cooler nights. Perfect.

In my experience, pack a bit of everything! As the others have said, weather can be all over the place. Plan to dress in layers. You'll want jackets in the morning and evening.

We went last December 1-4 and froze! And we came from Utah! We packed hoodies and pants but ended up layering everything we had and seeking indoor dining to get some relief from the cold in the evenings. I do recall that hotel staff even commenting to us how unseasonably cold it was that weekend. This last March when we went I didn't want to relive our cold days in the park so I packed my Patagonia down jacket and it was perfect! I wore it in the mornings and evenings and during the daytime I could stuff it into my small backpack. So I would suggest a packable down jacket!

Its sooo hit and miss! Bring layers cause no matter what, mornings and evenings will at least be cool. We frequently stay at Hojo and I can say that my kids have played in their kids pool in November, December and January. But they're kids and they don't define cold the same way I do! I can't remember if the big pool is heated or not...it might be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter