What about a podcast of renting a DVC ?

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
I would love to hear about the best way to rent a DVC

What should a renter know about a DVC?

What if any benefits does the renter receive such as free laundry machine use ?

How does the renters tickets connect to the DVC room ?

How does DME connect the renter to the DVC resort ?

Just a podcast suggestion

I'd be surprised if there were to be an in depth session on this since travel agencies don't do DVC rentals. But renters can use the free laundry rooms (for studios) and have the laundry in the larger units. Tickets go on your My Disney Experience app, has nothing at all to do with DVC renting, and you will probably have to call to set up the Magical Express yourself.

What should a renter know - NO CHANGES OR CANCELLATIONS. You are purchasing a specific date and that's it. You can't go up the the Top of the World lounge without a DVC member card most nights, occasionally you will not get checked. You can not talk to Disney about the reservation, only the member can.

The best way to rent is up to your comfort level. If you have no trust issues you can rent from an owner on this board or ***********. If you have control/trust issues you could use an agency and a middle man.

Renting seems like a money saver but with people trying to get 16 or 17 or more dollars per point now you should really run the numbers before you make a decision. It was great when $10 was standard and distressed were $5 to 8.

I know they have said that they wouldn't cover DVC on the Dreams show as it is basically a competitor of Dreams - and give Dreams is the sponsor for all of the other podcasts not sure if they would want t really cover it there either - though they have reviewed the DVC rooms when they did the 7 in 7 series so perhaps a one off type thing would be possible - but probably better resources out there since they don't really do DVC point rentals

There is a dvc related podcast out there. Don't recall the name, but Google will tell you.

They do DVC reviews in their 7 in 7's but more as a review of the rooms themselves. They also had one show wheee they went over all of the options for both on and off property in a bit greater detail but I don't think they will drill much farther than to namedrop Davids and reference the buy/rent, sell, trade board

How does DME connect the renter to the DVC resort?

I have rented out points to people through David's. If the renter wanted to use DME or have the Dining Plan, I had to set it up for them. Really not a problem... except the time I missed an email and went out of the country for a month. Let's just say calculating the time difference between Member Services and Deli, India and calling via Skype was an interesting experience.

I'm sure if you just googled DVC podcast, you'd find that one of the episodes (it's a short list to look through) is exactly what you want to hear about.

I wrote an article for the DIS about the basics of renting.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-world/using-disboards-com-to-rent-dvc-points/

Hopefully it will give you some helpful info. The person you rent from will set up ME for you once you have your flight info. You buy your tickets on your own and connect them online with your My Disney Experience account. The tickets have a number on them that you'll type in for connection. Renting can be a great value if you do your homework!

I wrote an article for the DIS about the basics of renting.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-world/using-disboards-com-to-rent-dvc-points/

Hopefully it will give you some helpful info. The person you rent from will set up ME for you once you have your flight info. You buy your tickets on your own and connect them online with your My Disney Experience account. The tickets have a number on them that you'll type in for connection. Renting can be a great value if you do your homework!
@TCups4Me - Don't know if I commented at the time, but if so - still stands - EXCELLENT article, very easy to understand!!

Yeah, they wont make money off of you if you rent points, so we can't expect them to cover this in detail.
Yet David's DVC is in my banner add as I type this. I know they don't choose what goes there, but it has some irony to it.

Yet David's DVC is in my banner add as I type this. I know they don't choose what goes there, but it has some irony to it.
If they wanted to I'm sure they could switch their ad contract...I don't think they care that much because they are honest..I mean they allow us to use the rent/trade forum and allow David's to post. I guess they figure if you sign up and are active here you are informed and going to do what your going to do..why not at least take the ad/sponsor revenue.

I don't think it would be a good topic. It's already hard enough to rent points. Let alone saturate the market on something that used to be a hidden gem.

It's kinda like saying.. "September is a slow time to go! Nobody goes then with the kids going back to school".... well, guess what, the entire Fall season is now a BUSY time, not a SLOW time... why? Because people came onto sites like this and started letting the "secret" out.

Now, those same people who said those things, are the ones complaining that they can't get rooms, reservations or whatever during that time of year.

I don't think it would be a good topic. It's already hard enough to rent points. Let alone saturate the market on something that used to be a hidden gem.

It's kinda like saying.. "September is a slow time to go! Nobody goes then with the kids going back to school".... well, guess what, the entire Fall season is now a BUSY time, not a SLOW time... why? Because people came onto sites like this and started letting the "secret" out.

Now, those same people who said those things, are the ones complaining that they can't get rooms, reservations or whatever during that time of year.
It's the reason Pete and Kevin always "hate" on Tony's Town Square. If it's so bad there why do John and Kevin have a standing 7:30 reservation every Friday night? See what happens when you try to make an ADR there and request the Werner booth next to Lady and the Tramp.

I don't think it would be a good topic. It's already hard enough to rent points.
It's very easy to rent points through legitimate 3rd party companies. I've rented out my points several times without issues.

The reason they would never do a "renting dvc" show is because it's a direct competition to their business. Remember, the DIS is nothing more than a large advertisement for their travel agency.

Yup, which is why it rubs me the wrong way every time I hear them mention their patreon :rolleyes1

Patreon is great for podcasting. I know of several shows that rely on it for their sole form of income. If people value the DIS shows enough to donate via PATREON, more power to them.

Patreon is great for podcasting. I know of several shows that rely on it for their sole form of income. If people value the DIS shows enough to donate via PATREON, more power to them.
I mean I know it's obviously voluntary but as you said it's a Dreams Unlimited advertisement...I'm sure its hard to gauge exactly how much money it brings though the door...but the fact is you are now taking donations to help you advertise..kind of a weird situation vs someone who doesn't directly benefit from what may or may not be said on their show/channel.

But hey it's the viewers money.

It's very easy to rent points through legitimate 3rd party companies. I've rented out my points several times without issues.

The reason they would never do a "renting dvc" show is because it's a direct competition to their business. Remember, the DIS is nothing more than a large advertisement for their travel agency.

Well, the more and more that these 3rd party companies advertise, then these forums (here and elsewhere) have discussions and such, it's making it more difficult. If you pay attention to the 3rd party sites, they're begging owners for points to rent out and it's turning into simple supply and demand. Renting DVC used to be one of those little known things, now it's not and the business is booming (which is good for owners), but, there's only so many DVC's available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter