What are you getting the teachers this Christmas?

How very sad.

I would like to think that I'm as close to my high school students as any of my own children's elementary school teachers are to them.

I'm not sure that a 16 year old needs 5 hours together, 5 days a week, to click with a teacher.

My dd15 likes one teacher this year. None last year, one the year before. Teens are hard - many don't like most adults. She is an honor student, and takes all honors classes, and gets A's. She's just in the middle of teen angst, and can barely get a hello out to me (although she's always happy and bubbly around her friends). On the other hand, my elementary school kids come home and tell me how great their teachers are, how much fun they are. It's just a different dynamic.

I liked a handful of teachers in HS, but I really remember my elementary school teachers! I still run into them, and we talk about old times. My older kids have had JH/HS teachers that I've had, but I don't think they've made the connection.

I don't think kids have to like teachers for them to make a difference. My son had a tough algebra teacher. It was his second time taking it, and he was so not happy about that. That teacher took the time to make sure he was getting the concepts and didn't hesitate to email me if there was something I needed to do at home. My son would not say NOW that he liked that teacher, but I know he made a difference. One day, he might look back and remember that this teacher took the time to make him successful. And yes, that teacher got a gift card for Christmas, and also got any supplies on the wishlists he sent out.

My dd15 likes one teacher this year. None last year, one the year before. Teens are hard - many don't like most adults. She is an honor student, and takes all honors classes, and gets A's. She's just in the middle of teen angst, and can barely get a hello out to me (although she's always happy and bubbly around her friends). On the other hand, my elementary school kids come home and tell me how great their teachers are, how much fun they are. It's just a different dynamic.

I liked a handful of teachers in HS, but I really remember my elementary school teachers! I still run into them, and we talk about old times. My older kids have had JH/HS teachers that I've had, but I don't think they've made the connection.

Wow, so NOT the experience I've had in the 26 years I've been teaching. My kids enjoy my class and we connect well. I can't walk down the hall without a half dozen "Hey, Mrs. Aliceacc!"s from all ends of the hallway.

I know the broody teenage angst thing happens, I just don't see it in my classes. I think it's more of a home thing. Remember-- we see them with their friends all day. That happy bubbly persona is the one we know.

I don't think kids have to like teachers for them to make a difference. My son had a tough algebra teacher. It was his second time taking it, and he was so not happy about that. That teacher took the time to make sure he was getting the concepts and didn't hesitate to email me if there was something I needed to do at home. My son would not say NOW that he liked that teacher, but I know he made a difference. One day, he might look back and remember that this teacher took the time to make him successful. And yes, that teacher got a gift card for Christmas, and also got any supplies on the wishlists he sent out.

:thumbsup2 SO true. And no, they won't admit it to *us*. But that too, is okay. They're slowly but surely doing the pull-away-from mama (IE Growing UP and becoming independent) and we shouldn't expect to hear or know everything anymore. But the difference the teachers make is worth it and a great advantage helping them become independent.

Wow, so NOT the experience I've had in the 26 years I've been teaching. My kids enjoy my class and we connect well. I can't walk down the hall without a half dozen "Hey, Mrs. Aliceacc!"s from all ends of the hallway.

I know the broody teenage angst thing happens, I just don't see it in my classes. I think it's more of a home thing. Remember-- we see them with their friends all day. That happy bubbly persona is the one we know.

:thumbsup2 Exactly. I suspect we parents don't really know *exactly* what they're like in the classroom... And we parents are their *safe* place. They need a place (home) where they can let it all out (they sure can't let it out at school!) including their version of teenage angst. (which varies from teen to teen thankfully!)

Be a little *fly on the wall* at school, and you'll likely see a different personna. Quite possibly due to the teachers' influence's too, as well as their friends.

(I remember seeing an article about the *studies* done, showing the huge impact HS teachers have on kids, but am clueless where it might be...? Any of you teachers know what I'm talking about?)

:goodvibes

Oh, and a quick PS--

It occurred to me while I was at mass: I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy gifts for their kids' middle- or high school teachers! I know very well that the sheer numbers simply make that prohibitive.

My point is that the teen I see is not the surly one who comes home, gives monosyllabic grunts and heads upstairs to play X box. The teen I see is the one who laughs at my jokes, raises his hand even when he's not sure of the answer, and holds the door for me if I'm carrying a lot. He's the one you raised, the one with the manners, and he does you proud. He saves that other angst-filled persona for home!

DS's teachers are getting popcorn this year.

his 5 teachers (homeroom, music, media, computer, p.e.) are each getting a bag of Caramel Corn (no nuts), a couple of bags of microwave butter and I'm putting them in a plastic popcorn bucket w/ a little bottle of the seasoning (cheese or kettle or something). Plus I'm making a bit bigger basket, with just microwave popcorn and caramel corns for the office.

The hazards of having a Cub scout in their class!

Oh, and a quick PS--

It occurred to me while I was at mass: I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy gifts for their kids' middle- or high school teachers! I know very well that the sheer numbers simply make that prohibitive.

My point is that the teen I see is not the surly one who comes home, gives monosyllabic grunts and heads upstairs to play X box. The teen I see is the one who laughs at my jokes, raises his hand even when he's not sure of the answer, and holds the door for me if I'm carrying a lot. He's the one you raised, the one with the manners, and he does you proud. He saves that other angst-filled persona for home!

Thank you for this! Nice to know they can be civil somewhere. ;)

Oh, and a quick PS--

You sound like a great teacher! :)

Oh, and a quick PS--

Trust me, I wish dd15 was like this. She can have an A average, but on the progress report, I usually get a "needs to participate in class" note along with the grade. She prides herself of never raising her hand, or speaking in any class. Her brother is completely different, but I usually only hear her complain about her teachers.

Oh, and a quick PS--

My DS is a good kid, but he definitely saves his worst behavior for me. I had an IEP meeting for him the other day(he has some mild LDs) and all his teachers had spoken to the facilitator. They all said he was doing great and always gave them a smile. The facilitator(who has had him for 4 years now) said that even when he is having a rough day, he does whatever is asked of him and never complains. Another teacher said if all her students were like him, her job would be much easier. It made me smile to know that he gives his best at school:goodvibes

I'm hoping that those bath & Body Works fuzzy socks go on sale again this year. I gave them to all of my kid's teachers and aftercare teachers last year and they loved them! i seem to recall I paid only about $2 a pair for them. I would love to grab those again this year! I may also get the teacher a Tervis Tumbler. (but not with a teacher design) I love to give those as gifts.

Teacher here: Tervis Tumblers are so not me. If I was ever given one, I'd give them to my parents-- they love them!

This weekend a note came home from my DDs teacher asking for hand sanitizer donations - I found that so ironic - b/c that is what I usually buy from BBW for teachers so they can use it in the classroom - but to listen to everyone on here - teacher's get WAY too much of that - I guess not if they are asking for it now!!!

I did get tumblers for all of their specials teachers last year and they all use them in their rooms now...I guess it just depends on the teachers on what they want or need!!!

I always ask my kids for their input too - after all - they know their teachers way better than me!!

I've already got so many....about ten, that my cabinet is full.

We will not be buying our teachers anything this year and this is the prime reason why. Exactly how many more candles, cups, mugs, candy, lotions, ornaments and other "Stuff" do they really need. All I can picture is a walk-in closet filled to the brim with presents that will never be used. Christmas has become way too commercial and we are stopping the insanity at our house. Appreciate the work our teachers do.....sure, but I'm finished with the token gifts of $5 here and $10 there. They add up and in this economy I just can't handle any more! Same for bus drivers, postal employees, hairdresser, etc. Christmas will be celebrated differently around our house this year.

This thread has been very helpful. DS is in middle school now and has multiple teachers. Normally, I try to ask him about his teacher and we come up with an idea together. I find myself thinking more generic this year as there are multiple teachers and I guess I was thinking that the gifts should be the same. Now I am realizing that the traditional ask him for ideas is probably better. One year he had a teacher that I saw almost every day while we were both getting our morning coffee. Dunkin Donuts gift card was the obvious answer to that one! Nothing jumping out at me yet this year, so I appreciate the ideas here.

I have already decided on gift cards, but I would like to know if it's weired to give different $ amounts to different teachers.

DS has a classroom teacher and a teacher's assistant, both of whom are basically with them all day every day. I was thinking about giving $25 Target or OfficeMax GC to them.

He also has four specialty teachers: art, music, PE and spanish. I was thinking about giving $5 Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts GC.

Would it be weired for the specialty teacher to find out they get less than the classroom teachers? DS loves all his specialty classes and I would love to thank all the teachers. I would love to give the same $, but I don't have the budget.

If it's weired, I'll have to skip GCs for specialty teachers and only ask my son to draw up a card for each of them.

Thank you.

I have already decided on gift cards, but I would like to know if it's weired to give different $ amounts to different teachers.

DS has a classroom teacher and a teacher's assistant, both of whom are basically with them all day every day. I was thinking about giving $25 Target or OfficeMax GC to them.

He also has four specialty teachers: art, music, PE and spanish. I was thinking about giving $5 Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts GC.

Would it be weired for the specialty teacher to find out they get less than the classroom teachers? DS loves all his specialty classes and I would love to thank all the teachers. I would love to give the same $, but I don't have the budget.

If it's weired, I'll have to skip GCs for specialty teachers and only ask my son to draw up a card for each of them.

Thank you.

Not weird at all. Sounds very nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter