What is the earliest year of a person

low-key

14001, 60056, 224
who has died, have you spoke there name in the last few years

I spoken the name of a relative who died in 1959, whats yours (my point is its been 60 years since he died, you cant go much past that with out being totally forgotten)

Very interesting concept...
My DD had a philosophy class last semester in college.

One day the prof asked for a show of hands in the class...
1. Who knows the names of your grandparents? Just about everyone raised their hands.
2. Who knows the names of your great grandparents? About half of the class raised hands.
3. Who knows the names of your great great grandparents? Not one hand went up.

You are "forgotten" by the 3rd generation of your own family. MIND BLOWN!

Last edited:

1. Who knows the names of your grandparents? Just about everyone raised their hands.
2. Who knows the names of your great grandparents? About half of the class raised hands.

I know,I figured I should at least be talked about for 200-300 years, lol

I mentioned my great-grandmother (my Mom's side), who I knew well because she died in 1978 when I was ten. She spent time with us during the Summer in Wildwood, and she *loathed* me. She was very cruel to me, so a little while ago we were talking about maybe taking out a membership to Ancestry and her name came up. I'm not a person to be unkind generally, especially regarding the dead, but everyone was making all these stellar comments about her. I really had to bite my tongue.

I just mentioned this concept to my daughter.

She says it's because we (DH & I) don't refer to our grandparents by their actual names... when we talk about them, we say their "grandparent" names, so that's how our kids have come to know them.

I don't know my great-grandparents' names, & I actually only ever remember meeting my great-grandmother (my mom's maternal grandmother), & we called her Nanny - but that wasn't her real name. And I don't really remember my parents talking about their grandparents much either.

I can’t name all 8 of my great grandparents. It’s kind of a shame. I’m pretty sure all died before I was born except 1 who I vaguely remember. I don’t even think I could find their names if I wanted to.

My great great great grandfather who died in 1886. He was a lawyer in the same local area that I now work in (also as a lawyer) and was highly influential in the establishment of the area. His daughters went to the same school that I went to (although it was located on a different campus at the time). His son, my great great grandfather established what is now one of the top private boys schools in Melbourne. Everyday I walk past the church where he first set up the school in the back hall and drive past the street where his house (where he then moved the school to) still stands.

I'm big into genealogy for my side and dh's side.

I've talked about people in our family from the 1700s when I've learned something interesting.

From that far back, I've got ancestors who helped colonize our area and those ancestors last names are quite common here now with thousands of descendants. But, my ancestor in that line was female, so those last names are now 4 generations back.

My Dad's sister has traced our genealogy back to Ireland and Germany so she's gone back to the late 1700's and early 1800's. I know paternal Grandma who I adored, she was born back in 1916 which blows me away to think she was born before women could even vote. She died when I was a teenager. Her Father, my great grandpa, was born way back in 1879, 100 years before I would be born. He died long before that, of course.

My Mom's biological father is basically unknown. We know his name, my Grandma was briefly married to him because his choice was to marry her or get charged for statutory rape, but as soon as my Mom and her twin sister were born he was out of the picture. My Grandma never liked to speak of him, she liked to pretend it never happened which can be understood. So sometimes there are forgotten branches because they don't deserve to be remembered.

I was very lucky enough to meet and know 5 of my 8 great grandparents. I was an adult when my last great grandparent passed away. Recently both me & DH have talked about our great grandparents and our grandparents because of the Great Depression. How we feel we live traditionally close to them life/financial wise vs. our parents.

We talk about my great, great, great grandparents often. They left an interesting legacy.

I can’t name all 8 of my great grandparents. It’s kind of a shame. I’m pretty sure all died before I was born except 1 who I vaguely remember. I don’t even think I could find their names if I wanted to.
Only one set of my greatgrandparents were still living when I was born. Even my actual grandparents on my mother's side were long since gone. I do know their names, but only because things like that had importance in my family. As to low key's question though, I can remember the last time I or anybody else actually talked about them.

I only know the names of my maternal great and great-great grandparents because an uncle has compiled a family history. My great grandmother was alive when I was born, but died about two years later. My mother said we were at family functions together at least a dozen times, but I don't remember her.

My father's parents. They both died in 1921. Never knew any of my grandparents. My mom's side is pretty well documented, but since I never knew them, I can't recite any of their names.
DD has been working on finding anything on my dad's side, but they were all born in places where birth records either don't exist, of no longer exist. She did discover my dad's mom immigrated to the U.S. and according to records, was 10 years YOUNGER when she arrived, than when she left England!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter