What is your engagement ring like?

It's not small is a bit of an understatement. :laughing:

It took me years to get used to wearing it...I still get confused (or embarrassed depending on what's said) when people comment on it, but the sentiment behind it is priceless. I tear up every time I mention my Nan giving it to us. She was truly one of a kind.

I got engaged about a month ago and when I went looking at rings I found myself looking at gemstones instead of diamonds. I ended up choosing an emerald cut Tanzanite center stone with diamonds around it and down the band. I wanted something different... it's my 2nd marriage and I already did the diamond solitaire. They did tell me that more and more people are going for colored stones. I was wondering what some of you folks have.

Be careful. Tanzanite is a very soft and porous stone. It can scratch very easily and you shouldn't use traditional jewelry cleaner. It's honestly not meant for everyday use. It works much better as earrings or pendants rather than rings. I have multiple tanzanite pieces some of which were purchased directly in Tanzania. It's a beautiful stone and one of my favorites so I advise you to take good care of it!

Got my wife's engagement and our wedding bands from a jeweler friend who was able to make our Tiffany rings at cost. I even saw how much the stone was on a site and how much I paid for it.

I'm on my third ring in 36 years of marriage. All round diamond solitaires, just larger one each time lol. My DIL has an aquamarine center stone with sapphire side stones. My DS designed it himself, including the cad that he gave the jeweler to make the ring.

One of my sisters used an emerald because it's her birthstone. She only kept it for a couple of years. Emeralds, even lab created ones are soft and break very easily and she got tired of replacing stones so she ended up with a diamond ring. There's a reason diamonds are used in engagement rings. It's because of their durability.

I wanted an emerald because it's my birthstone, and I've never had a strong affinity for diamonds. Unfortunately, I knew that I'd be rough on my ring (never taking it off), and we were told that an emerald wouldn't be suitable for that. Plus, the emeralds all seemed so big to me. I ended up with a 1/3 c single diamond. I wish it weren't in yellow gold, but I don't really want to change my rings either.

3/4 carat pear shaped solitaire which hubby added a baguette to each side for our 10 year set in gold with a plain gold band. I love it! Our 25th is our next “big” one and I’ve hinted at maybe wanting a new ring set. I just can’t decide what I want.

My first engagement ring was a round solitaire...I traded up for diamond earrings when I got divorced.

This is my ring now...just got married 6 months ago :blush:
IMG_0436.JPG

DW has a marquise cut diamond. Fortunately for me, DW has extremely dainty fingers & larger stones looked kind of gaudy on her. So, I got away with a bit smaller stone LOL

Technically, mine was advertised as a birthstone ring - it's a chip of red something in the shape of a heart on a gold filigree band. Cost less than 100 dollars, at the time.

My husband would have happily bought me something more traditional, and expensive, but this is the one I liked best. And still do! :cloud9:

It sits very nicely next to my equally inexpensive wedding band.

DW has a marquise cut diamond. Fortunately for me, DW has extremely dainty fingers & larger stones looked kind of gaudy on her. So, I got away with a bit smaller stone LOL

Same here. Bigger stones just look wrong. I have a beautiful ruby ring that my FIL gifted to me when my MIL died but never wear it as it just looks overpowering on my finger.

I have a 1 1/4 ct princess-cut diamond on a platinum band designed with trinity knots around it. We picked out the diamond together and had the band made. I LOVE my ring, and I love the platinum, but the "bottom" of the ring the trinity knot design is starting to wear.

I'm loving hearing about and seeing everyone's rings! Having worked in jewelry for years and being a hopeless romantic I think it's a great topic! Happy anniversary Disney Doll!

My ring is about 2/3 ct. round solitaire Tiffany setting in yellow gold with a simple gold band and our initials engraved inside. It was a complete surprise to me because it's exactly what I wanted, but I'd literally never discussed it with anyone- not even my mom or best friend! DH and I were 18 and 19 when we got engaged, and DS was 6 months old. At the time I was wanting to be more practical and spend money on the baby. Little did I know DH had been saving money here and there and was learning all about cut, color, and clarity. He even had a jeweler's loop he was carrying around with him- I saw him take it out of his pocket and he dismissed it as something he used "for work." Later he told me he actually picked out the individual diamond and had it set. I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Most people who know me are surprised that I'd want a simple wedding ring since my taste in clothes and other jewelry can be a little out there. I do have lots of other fine and fashion jewelry that I can switch up and wear, but my wedding ring goes with everything.

My brother designed and had my sil's ring made with a bluish teal diamond. I love when I get the opportunity to help customers pick out engagement rings at the store where I work. My most recent favorite was a young guy in the Navy who picked out a Morganite and diamond ring set in rose gold. He was surprising her with the proposal in front of their families who were secretly coming into town. He came back in with her the week after to show me how much she loved it and a video of the proposal. It was so sweet and she was absolutely beaming! I have definitely seen trends change for the styles of diamond engagement rings and an increase in the amount of people wanting something less traditional like colored stones.

1/2 carat Emerald cut solitaire on a thin yellow gold band. My wedding band is a matching thin band. It was a slightly unusual and boring choice in 1995 but I am so glad I went the simple and classic route. I love it and it is a very high quality as far as the 4 C's go. I have rarely taken it off in 22 years.

I vote for a colored gemstone. My ring was a round cut diamond on a thin gold band with little gold swirly things on the sides, not very big, I think 1/2 carat. Had I gotten to choose my own ring I think I would have preferred a stone other than a diamond. I never really liked diamonds, I prefer colored stones. Gave my engagement ring to my daughter after my husband and I separated and she loves it! Guess she's a diamond girl :)

I designed my own ring as well - 42 years ago - it’s a 4 carat emerald cut blue topaz with pink sapphires on the sides…

Get what makes you happy.

I had no engagement ring... that practice always made me uncomfortable, a holdover from the days of a dowry... bride prices.... I am not for sale. We had matching Celtic knot silver wedding bands, LOL we were so broke .... celebrating 30 years next July

I never wanted an engagement ring. I asked for a silver chain and diamond pendant instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter