What news source do you trust the most?

After reading a certain book I've decided not to trust any news sources.
None of them are without bias, but it is more than that.
I think journalistic integrity is gone. I don't think media actually wants to do a thorough investigation on news stories to get all the facts. I think they want to get stories out fast regardless of the truth. I also think that society wants sensationalism over factualism and I think the BIG news outlets cater to that.
AGREE!

According to their own poll? oh wait, did you see that poll they put up that stated that FOX was the least believed news?
It's easy to look up ratings. Doesn't speak to accuracy, but they lead easily in viewership - it's usually not even close, which is to be expected since they are the only network not "leaning" left. This isn't controversial. Surprising that some don't seem to know this... perhaps their news sources don't tell them... ;)

People who are liberal believe liberals are more informed & open minded. People who are conservative believe the opposite. And I've no doubt both groups can provide ample evidence to "prove" their point of view.
I agree with this to a point, but you can't even pretend to have an informed opinion, if all your news comes from one of the heavily slanted/propaganda channels. You have a very one sided view that has a good chance of not even being true. If you don't check out other sources, you don't know, if it's accurate or not. Trusting one heavily slanted source shows you're not really interested in the truth. You're interested in propaganda that fits your agenda. (FWIW, all my references to "you" is a general you. It's not meant to accuse you specifically. I have no idea where you get your news.)

Case in point, when FIL passed away two years ago, I got an up close & personal experience with people who obviously were incapable of thinking for themselves. There was a continuous flow of people visiting us at MIL's house. I sat there for hours hearing the exact same conversation. I'm not even kidding. The large majority of people who came had the same few talking points that they kept bringing up. It got to the point, that I was struggling not to laugh. How many times can you hear the exact same discussion, without finding it humorous? It was like I was experiencing groundhog day over & over. :rotfl:It was obvious they were all watching the same news channel. If your conversation topics exist solely from what you have heard from one of the "propaganda" channels in the past few days, you can't even pretend to have an informed & open mind. If you've gotten to the point that every discussion brings you back to pushing the agenda of your preferred news source, you really need to seek out other news sources, so you don't sound so clueless & lack all credibility.

I agree with this to a point, but you can't even pretend to have an informed opinion, if all your news comes from one of the heavily slanted/propaganda channels. You have a very one sided view that has a good chance of not even being true. If you don't check out other sources, you don't know, if it's accurate or not. Trusting one heavily slanted source shows you're not really interested in the truth. You're interested in propaganda that fits your agenda. (FWIW, all my references to "you" is a general you. It's not meant to accuse you specifically. I have no idea where you get your news.)

Case in point, when FIL passed away two years ago, I got an up close & personal experience with people who obviously were incapable of thinking for themselves. There was a continuous flow of people visiting us at MIL's house. I sat there for hours hearing the exact same conversation. I'm not even kidding. The large majority of people who came had the same few talking points that they kept bringing up. It got to the point, that I was struggling not to laugh. How many times can you hear the exact same discussion, without finding it humorous? It was like I was experiencing groundhog day over & over. :rotfl:It was obvious they were all watching the same news channel. If your conversation topics exist solely from what you have heard from one of the "propaganda" channels in the past few days, you can't even pretend to have an informed & open mind. If you've gotten to the point that every discussion brings you back to pushing the agenda of your preferred news source, you really need to seek out other news sources, so you don't sound so clueless & lack all credibility.
Agreed. People on both sides do this. But most people I speak to think that only the “other side” does this. :)

I think that was part of the point being made.

I still don't understand why the owners of that pizza restaurant in DC didn't sue Alex Jones...
Comet’s doing just fine. Not sure what the exact grounds to sue would be, but doubt it would be worth it. Best to move on — and they have.

AGREE!

It's easy to look up ratings. Doesn't speak to accuracy, but they lead easily in viewership - it's usually not even close, which is to be expected since they are the only network not "leaning" left. This isn't controversial. Surprising that some don't seem to know this... perhaps their news sources don't tell them... ;)
That's funny. I agree that national news sources have a tendency to lean one way or the other, but I don't think all local sources do. Anyone who thinks all news sources, but one, is wrong, should probably question the accuracy of their chosen news source. That doesn't even sound logical. It's hard to imagine that only one news source out of the many options tells the truth. How does that make sense to anyone?

Comet’s doing just fine. Not sure what the exact grounds to sue would be, but doubt it would be worth it. Best to move on — and they have.

They wouldn't pay any of the attorney costs. Someone else would pay that for them. Plus they could get tons of free publicity.

That's funny. I agree that national news sources have a tendency to lean one way or the other, but I don't think all local sources do. Anyone who thinks all news sources, but one, is wrong, should probably question the accuracy of their chosen news source. That doesn't even sound logical. It's hard to imagine that only one news source out of the many options tells the truth. How does that make sense to anyone?
Agreed. I never suggested this. Said the opposite, actually, in terms of where/how I get my news.

They wouldn't pay any of the attorney costs. Someone else would pay that for them. Plus they could get tons of free publicity.
They got a ton. They didn’t want to keep dwelling on this. I think it was smart on their part to move on.

Agreed. People on both sides do this. But most people I speak to think that only the “other side” does this. :)

I think that was part of the point being made.
IMO, the fact that people want to say the other side is just as bad is a problem. The fact that a person finds one side closed minded doesn't mean it's okay to be closed minded him or herself. It's bad to have total faith in either slanted/propaganda channel. The fact is they are agenda driven. The truth doesn't really matter. There's no good way to spin it. I don't believe that any news source is accurate 100% of the time, but the heavily slanted/propaganda channels teach more hate than show real news these days. That's a major problem in this country & people need to wake up & realize it. It worries me that too many people are buying what those channels are selling. It's worrying for our country as a whole.

Last edited:

I don't think that is true, I think those people aren't even aware that it is propaganda, or agenda driven. They feel that is what the "other guys" are doing. It isn't that they aren't interested in the truth, they believe that their news source IS the truth.
That goes for people on both sides, it is not exclusive to just one.

It doesn't have to be logical for people to believe it. They just want to be right, to listen to someone tell them what they think is correct and they are the smart ones.
I mentioned a hypothetical 5 legitimate news outlets having one story and 1 having a completely different take. The responses I got were the 5 were probably just parroting each other and use bad sources and the 1 was probably created to fill a void left by the other 5 because they are all biased (can't remember the exact wording). There's always an excuse.

Last edited:
People who are liberal believe liberals are more informed & open minded. People who are conservative believe the opposite. And I've no doubt both groups can provide ample evidence to "prove" their point of view.

As I said, I am relaying my personal experience. I used to be conservative, in terms of economics, but then conservative took on a meaning I could no longer align with. So, I've been both, and my opinion still stands. The only people I know that only use one news source lean conservative. I don't know a single middle-of-the-roader or liberal who uses only one. And in my area, I'm friends with many who lean conservative (as is much of my family), so it's not like I only know people with opinions similar to mine. I'm sure someone living in a more progressive area might feel differently. Again, my personal experience.

It doesn't have to be logical for people to believe it. They just want to be right, to listen to someone tell them what they think is correct and they are the smart ones.
I mentioned a hypothetical 5 legitimate news outlets having one story and 1 having a completely different take. The responses I got were the 5 were probably just parroting each other and use bad sources and the 1 was probably created to fill a void left by the other 5 (can't remember the exact wording). There's always an excuse.
I don't necessarily disagree with your point, but I don't think your hypothetical is the most common situation. The different take is not so much with the individual stories themselves. It's more like the 5 news outlets get a bunch of stories. Four choose to run certain ones and highlight certain ones. The other chooses to run others and highlight others.

As I said, I am relaying my personal experience. I used to be conservative, in terms of economics, but then conservative took on a meaning I could no longer align with. So, I've been both, and my opinion still stands. The only people I know that only use one news source lean conservative. I don't know a single middle-of-the-roader or liberal who uses only one. And in my area, I'm friends with many who lean conservative (as is much of my family), so it's not like I only know people with opinions similar to mine. I'm sure someone living in a more progressive area might feel differently. Again, my personal experience.
This is not my experience at all.

I live in a very liberal area, and most follow one or two sources that are effectively identical. They may fool themselves into thinking they’re getting more than one POV, but they aren’t.

I am able to routinely point things out to them that they never even heard about — because I do listen to truly different sources.

People like their team. They like hearing daily that they are SO right and half the country is SO wrong — maybe even evil. It’s truly disturbing to me.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point, but I don't think your hypothetical is the most common situation. The different take is not so much with the individual stories themselves. It's more like the 5 news outlets get a bunch of stories. Four choose to run certain ones and highlight certain ones. The other chooses to run others and highlight others.

If the people who claim to get their news from "both sides" really do then they would recognize that.
If you do then you can see how differently these stories are presented, and you can see that the "hypothetical" 5 tend to present them in the same way, highlighting certain facts while excluding other facts. The "hypothetical" 1 presents those excluded facts, while omitting the ones the other 5 choose to highlight.
The question is, as a reader (or viewer) do you see that and take in ALL those facts and use your own reasoning, or do you just pick the one side's presentation that fit your own agenda and believe that is all the truth you need to know. There are plenty of people who do that, on both sides.

If the people who claim to get their news from "both sides" really do then they would recognize that.
If you do then you can see how differently these stories are presented, and you can see that the "hypothetical" 5 tend to present them in the same way, highlighting certain facts while excluding other facts. The "hypothetical" 1 presents those excluded facts, while omitting the ones the other 5 choose to highlight.
The question is, as a reader (or viewer) do you see that and take in ALL those facts and use your own reasoning, or do you just pick the one side's presentation that fit your own agenda and believe that is all the truth you need to know. There are plenty of people who do that, on both sides.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Yes. This is why I like news aggregation sites and message boards where people post articles from a variety of sources for comment. I feel like I'm not only getting more of the "facts," but also some insight to how the sources (AND the commenters) choose to include/exclude/spin/etc the "facts."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter