• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What "old person" things do you do?

Probably more so because of being an elementay school teacher but always have tissues/paper napkins in my pocket, a red pen, and bandaides in my wallet. Child bleeding, hand them a tissue and a bandaid - happens frequently out in public and adult is always surprised that someone has those two items! Don't use or want to know how to use - twitter, instagram, snapchat. Only social media I use is Facebook which I am now told is an old person's thng anyway! Sit in the recliner and fall asleep watching TV

Write with fountain pens.
I have been watching The Crown and all the fountain pens everyone was using and got inspired to try some disposable fountain pens. I don’t see that as an old person thing to do, since they are still popular to use. It’s just a different tool.

I have been watching The Crown and all the fountain pens everyone was using and got inspired to try some disposable fountain pens. I don’t see that as an old person thing to do, since they are still popular to use. It’s just a different tool.

They do seem to be getting more popular. I don't use disposables, I mostly use either vintage pens or converter/piston fill pens and fill them from ink bottles. Not a fan of cartridges either.

Write notes, no social media, balance my checkbook and keep receipts, cook and bake from scratch, carry on a conversation without a phone or tablet in my face, carry cash

Get up 2-3 times to pee in the middle of night. Drink coffee with my desserts. Have pains with seemingly no origin. Wear progressive lenses. Get called "gramma". <3

They do seem to be getting more popular. I don't use disposables, I mostly use either vintage pens or converter/piston fill pens and fill them from ink bottles. Not a fan of cartridges either.

I got the disposable pens just to try a fountain pen. I had heard mixed reviews for left handed people using them and wanted a cheap way to check it out. The only thing I have noticed is I consistently seem to pick it up with the nib upside down, and have to rotate the pen to write. Don’t know if that is a lefty thing or just one of my quirks :).

Watch the soaps. I’ve been told the average age of the US daytime soap viewer is 58. I’m 60. (Although as I still work, I DVR them and watch at night.)

I whipped out my paper calendar (book) to write down a doctor appointment, and the receptionist (probably in her early 20s) said, "OMG, don't you have an Iphone?!?" (DH calls it the "family planner").

Write and mail cards/thank yous/Christmas cards.

Write checks and balance my accounts monthly.

Talk on the phone (not just text, not the same, sorry DS!).

Buy physical media (CDs, DVDs, hardcover books, etc).

Have maps in all vehicles of any state we may end up in.

Turn off all the lights in rooms not in use/unplug things.

Call my parents every Sunday.

Terri

I got the disposable pens just to try a fountain pen. I had heard mixed reviews for left handed people using them and wanted a cheap way to check it out. The only thing I have noticed is I consistently seem to pick it up with the nib upside down, and have to rotate the pen to write. Don’t know if that is a lefty thing or just one of my quirks :).

I've definitely heard that they can be tricky for lefties, mostly having to do if you're an overwriter or underwriter. I know there are specific nibs out there for lefties, but I haven't paid much attention since I'm a boring rightie. :) Sometimes you can get some line variation if you use the nib upside down, but it's probably not the best way to get the ink to flow. ;)

I write notes and lists on physical paper. I drink regular Folgers coffee every morning (that we buy in bulk at Sam's Club, oh yeah) and only buy a fancy Starbucks (or even a Tim Hortons) on rare occasions or when traveling/have a gift card.

I also listen to and collect records, but I've been doing that since I was 12, and during that time it was just considered weird and I got made fun of, and now the hipsters are driving up the prices of records. I wish they would get off my lawn. :(

I write notes and lists on physical paper. I drink regular Folgers coffee every morning (that we buy in bulk at Sam's Club, oh yeah) and only buy a fancy Starbucks (or even a Tim Hortons) on rare occasions or when traveling/have a gift card.

I also listen to and collect records, but I've been doing that since I was 12, and during that time it was just considered weird and I got made fun of, and now the hipsters are driving up the prices of records. I wish they would get off my lawn. :(
I see what you did there. :)

Probably more so because of being an elementay school teacher but always have tissues/paper napkins in my pocket, a red pen, and bandaides in my wallet. Child bleeding, hand them a tissue and a bandaid - happens frequently out in public and adult is always surprised that someone has those two items! Don't use or want to know how to use - twitter, instagram, snapchat. Only social media I use is Facebook which I am now told is an old person's thng anyway! Sit in the recliner and fall asleep watching TV
A few years ago we were in line for “It’s a Small World” when the little one in front of us took a spill and scraped up her chin. She was bleeding all over and her parents didn’t have anything to clean her up with. I reached into my bag and handed them a napkin followed by a antibacterial wipe and then a band aid. I’m pretty sure they thought I was Mary Poppins, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter