What "old person" things do you do?

I have orthotics for my shoes. I wear sneakers and "sensible shoes" instead of heels that would kill my feet.

I take meds and multiple vitamins & supplements. I have several bottles on the corner of my bedside table so I can see which ones I need to take.

I love 60s & 70s music. :cool1:
I prefer headphones that go over my ears to earbuds like in this smilie --> :music: I can't stand stuffing anything into my ears. :crazy2:

I still have a separate, old MP3 player. One of the first, about the size of a pack of Dentyne gum, with a large SD card in it that only has a 2 GB. When I travel, I don't like using up my smartphone battery for playing music in the car. Or hooking it up to wires on both ends, one for charging and for the headphone/AUX cable and it no longer fits the cup holder. Plus the MP3 player is simpler to work.

I still have a printer that I have to plug my portable laptop into every time I print something. :headache: I'd kill for a new 3-in-one, color lazer printer with bluetooth, so I can print from anywhere in the room. But at still nearly $400 for the ones I like, and nothing wrong with my current printer, I feel it's a waste of money.

Your dad and I would get along great. I usually rotate in Hallmark and Lifetime once they start airing their Christmas specials.

Me too! There is also the ION Channel which also does Christmas movies every Sat night during the holiday season. :santa:

I am in bed very early, typically by 8 pm. But then, I'm up by 4:30 am for work, so that isn't that odd.

I like to look at a good old map when traveling, though they are harder to come by.

I write or type lists out on my computer. I've never used a "reminder" or "note" app on my phone.

I have a paper wall calendar hanging in our kitchen.

I have reading glasses - this is a recent development.

I mail Christmas cards.

I still buy birthday, anniversary, & other special occasion cards.

I have a first-aid kit in my van & a small travel first aid kit in my purse.

I have tissues & wipes & antibacterial gel in my purse & in my van.

I drive a mini-van.

I have a set of canisters on my kitchen counter.

We used both the fitted sheet & the top sheet on our beds.

I keep a lot of "back-up" items in case we run out of whatever.

I don't buy Starbucks coffee, &, when I do drink coffee, I prefer just plain, black coffee.

Avocados are okay, but I don't get the craze... like, if I'm going to brunch, I'm not ordering the avocado toast.

I've got Prince & Madonna on my Spotify playlist.

I don't like loud atmospheres or irritating loud noises. We keep the subtitles on our TVs so the volume doesn't have to be sky-high.

Noisy kids running around w/o any supervision irritates me. I also dislike crying kids in restaurants. I don't like kids wrestling indoors or jumping around on furniture. (And we have 3 kids of our own - I've just never allowed them to run feral! LOL!)

I watch things like the MTV VMAs & wonder, "What happened?" to music, to fashion, to classiness, etc.

I prefer men like Matthew McConaughey & Daniel Craig to skinny-pant wearing kids like Shawn Mendes or Harry Styles.

I admit to having a few pearl-clutching moments & thinking, "That's just tacky" about other things.

I've never used Venmo & have only used Paypal a handful of times.

I don't have the auto pay thing set up on my phone.

I have a Twitter account but don't really look at Twitter. I tweeted once - during Sharknado.

Although I have both, I prefer Facebook to Instagram.

I don't know how to do all the cute little Instagram story stuff - the filters, adding music, boomerang, etc.

I can't figure out how to use our remote controls if I want to watch something on Netflix or Amazon Prime or even watch a DVD.

I have to write checks for a few school & kids-sports related things; other than that, though, I never write checks.

Last edited:
I have orthotics for my shoes. I wear sneakers and "sensible shoes" instead of heels that would kill my feet.

I still have a separate, old MP3 player. One of the first, about the size of a pack of Dentyne gum, with a large SD card in it that only has a 2 GB. When I travel, I don't like using up my smartphone battery for playing music in the car. Or hooking it up to wires on both ends, one for charging and for the headphone/AUX cable and it no longer fits the cup holder. Plus the MP3 player is simpler to work.

I have the ugliest shoes for work but I can no longer wear "hard shoes" and can't wear my sneakers so these are what I am stuck with. And yes I have orthoitics in my sneakers.

Yep use an iPod (I have 3 of them) vs my phone EXCEPT while I am walking. It is easier to carry just the phone vs the phone & iPod. And before you say why do you need your phone, because I have fallen more than once and being accident prone I want to be able to call for help.

I write or type lists out on my computer. I've never used a "reminder" or "note" app on my phone.

I have a paper wall calendar hanging in our kitchen.

I have reading glasses - this is a recent development.

I mail Christmas cards.

I still buy birthday, anniversary, & other special occasion cards.

I have a first-aid kit in my van & a small travel first aid kit in my purse.

I have tissues & wipes & antibacterial gel in my purse & in my van.

I drive a mini-van.

I have a set of canisters on my kitchen counter.

We used both the fitted sheet & the top sheet on our beds.

I keep a lot of "back-up" items in case we run out of whatever.

I don't buy Starbucks coffee, &, when I do drink coffee, I prefer just plain, black coffee.

Avocados are okay, but I don't get the craze... like, if I'm going to brunch, I'm not ordering the avocado toast.

I've got Prince & Madonna on my Spotify playlist.

I don't like loud atmospheres or irritating loud noises. We keep the subtitles on our TVs so the volume doesn't have to be sky-high.

Noisy kids running around w/o any supervision irritates me. I also dislike crying kids in restaurants. I don't like kids wrestling indoors or jumping around on furniture. (And we have 3 kids of our own - I've just never allowed them to run feral! LOL!)

I watch things like the MTV VMAs & wonder, "What happened?" to music, to fashion, to classiness, etc.

I prefer men like Matthew McConaughey & Daniel Craig to skinny-pant wearing kids like Shawn Mendes or Harry Styles.

I admit to having a few pearl-clutching moments & thinking, "That's just tacky" about other things.

I've never used Venmo & have only used Paypal a handful of times.

I don't have the auto pay thing set up on my phone.

I have a Twitter account but don't really look at Twitter. I tweeted once - during Sharknado.

Although I have both, I prefer Facebook to Instagram.

I don't how to do all the cute little Instagram story stuff - the filters, adding music, boomerang, etc.

I can't figure out how to use our remote controls if I want to watch something on Netflix or Amazon Prime or even watch a DVD.

I have to write checks for a few school & kids-sports related things; other than that, though, I never write checks.
I'm kinda scared how so much of this list could have been mine. 😆

If home, I use my landline. I buy hard candy, currently coffee flavored. I also have butterscotch 😂. I’m planning on buying another minivan, my youngest are almost 17. I’ve never used Siri.
I only have a landline, no cell phone

I
You mean everybody doesn't balance their bank statements?? I pay all of my bills via electronic checks (never auto pay which I think is a recipe for disaster) yet reconcile monthly. I wonder why some people don't?
I haven’t balanced a cheque book in maybe 15 years? I just look at the balance on my app and compare it to my spreadsheets of auto withdrawals.

Era - actually longer now I think about it. Probably closer to 20-25.

The other day my DH fell right into that one. He was watching a movie from the 1980's (NOT on TCM or the like), and a bit player entered the scene. DH immediately felt the need to say, "He's dead now," referring to the actor playing the bit part. (I think it was Chris Penn, actually.) Cataloging how many of the actors in movies you are watching on TV are actually now dead is DEFINITELY an old person thing.

My FIL does that all the time!

My old person things are sending paper cards & letters and sewing. - I'm not great, but I can do a few minor repairs/projects.

I wanted to quote Wendy but it was a lot--and I have almost every single thing she posted! One thing not on there-- no matter what time I go to bed, I am up at the crack of dawn--like 3:45 AM without a clock--even on weekends I'm downstairs sipping coffee at 4:00 AM. When I was in my 20's I used to be the youngest by many decades in a condo building and one of my elderly neighbors and I shared a newspaper subscription. It didn't matter how early I woke up (even for work), that paper was always neatly folded, already read by her, under my front mat. I am becoming Betty

Last edited:
I go to brick and mortar department stores and HAVE to try on clothes to make sure they fit and feel comfortable before I'll buy them. This afternoon in Macy's you could have fired off a cannon and not have hit any other customers.

Oh my gosh, I do pretty much all of these things and I’m only 46!

No Instagram, no selfies, no Sir. I cook everything from scratch, including bread and all baking. Make sounds when I get up. Carry tissues.

YouTube video is really easy - copy the URL and paste into the message. DONE.
Thank you, christa, but I have no idea how to do what you just described. I would need someone to show me step by step... for example, my first question would be what’s a URL?. That’s why I say I “ do it” or “don’t do it” in this case, like an older person.👴🏻👵

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter