What snacks were in your fridge or cupboard growing up?

Growing up for me, not many. Maybe apples or some yogurt. Our cupboard was usually pretty bare.

Thinking a bit more.

Eskimo Pie. Also potato chips. We had regional brands mostly like Laura Scudder and Granny Goose. Doritos were the only Frito-Lay product that sold well in my area when I was younger. I also remember Eagle Snacks, which had some pretty good thick potato chips as well as their signature honey roasted peanuts. And my folks usually had Planters sry roasted peanuts in the house.

I don’t think we snacked much. With six kids most stuff was for our school lunches . We did have supper pretty early so maybe that’s why. Potato chips were a treat for us.

My mother always made a big bowl of jello. (Thinking of this sitting here eating a jello cup.)

She also made pudding on the stove and poured it into individual cups - chocolate, butterscotch, tapioca, and sometimes egg custard with nutmeg on top. Loved those! I never make it that way, but I should - I do buy the cups to keep on hand.

This was in the days before yogurt became popular. I remember when my older sister first brought yogurt home, it took a little getting used to - it wasn't as good then, as it is today; more tart.
My grandma would cook butterscotch pudding and put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. She’d also put a scoop of ice cream in half of a cantaloupe so the cantaloupe was the bowl. (She’d also make me egg sandwiches when my uncles made weird things like okra or pea soup. :goodvibes ) My other grandma was famous for her cookie jar. You never had to ask and your parents weren’t allowed to say you couldn’t have a cookie at Grandma’s House. It’s one of the most significant memories my kids have of her. At her memorial we passed her cookie jar around one last time.

At home I don’t remember any significant thing or even snacking really.

Usually various Little Debbie snacks - I could pick which if I went on the grocery store trip. I tended to favor Star Crunch but Oatmeal Cream Pies were a standard. I also generally snacked on grapes, Kraft Singles, and bread and butter pickles.

I'm revealing my age here but..
Dunkaroos
Lunchables
Little Debbie Oatmeal cream pies
Trix yogurt (Man I miss this stuff)
Cans of chef Boyardee (Particularly fond of the Sonic the Hedgehog shaped pasta)
Sour cream and cheddar chips
Campbell's Chicken and stars soup

Little Debbie oatmeal pies and Star Crunch with a big ol’ glass of ice cold whole milk 🥛. It was the ‘70s.

Our soda pop was Shasta as it was cheaper than Coke or Pepsi products.

But as a Southern boy I drank gallons and gallons of sweet tea.

Raisins, bananas and peanuts... I ENVIED the kids with the Cheese Nips for sure! That was when I was younger, by the time I was 16 I started taking on the grocery shopping trip so more junk food made it home :)

Probably regional, but who remembers Charles Chips? Potato chips and pretzels that came in big yellow and brown tins, delivered to your home by a truck that drove around the neighborhood. We even knew our “Charlie Chip” man’s name and were friendly with him. IIRC, you returned the tins and they recycled/reused them.

Our soda pop was Shasta as it was cheaper than Coke or Pepsi products.

Not necessarily my house, but I remember back when my grandmother lived at my uncle's house and she worked at a small company that mostly marketed packaged trail mix for sale in convenience stores. She would get lots of their various nut mixes, yogurt covered nuts, etc. I wondered exactly what do do with bags and bags of carob chips. I'm also not quite sure why, but she got RC Cola too.

Pretty much boxes of jello and pudding because it was cheap.
Saltines and the Government cheese our elderly neighbors gave us because they didn't eat it.
Veggies from the garden- cherry tomatoes, green beans and cucumbers.

I don’t think we snacked much. With six kids most stuff was for our school lunches . We did have supper pretty early so maybe that’s why. Potato chips were a treat for us.
We didn't snack much either since it would "ruin your appetite for dinner". Also rarely drank soda or chips. When my mother bought a large bottle of Pepsi or Coke we knew it was time for Beta to come and iron the clothes. That was the one chore my Mom despised and would pay someone else to do. Beta's price was a bottle of soda and the ability to watch her soaps uninterrupted, LOL.

We were always the juice box house: we lived right near school, so all our friends were always at our house, and we never had pop, but our basement fridge was always well stocked with Hi-C and Capri Suns.

We were always the juice box house: we lived right near school, so all our friends were always at our house, and we never had pop, but our basement fridge was always well stocked with Hi-C and Capri Suns.
My house was the Kool-Aid house. My parents always had a pitcher in the fridge for my friends.

Probably regional, but who remembers Charles Chips? Potato chips and pretzels that came in big yellow and brown tins, delivered to your home by a truck that drove around the neighborhood. We even knew our “Charlie Chip” man’s name and were friendly with him. IIRC, you returned the tins and they recycled/reused them.
Wow, I remember our Charles Chip delivery guy. We were a Drakes family; Devil Dogs, Ring Dings, etc. My favorite snack in was Fudgetown Cookies. Unfortunately, we they don’t make them anymore.

Dunkaroos, prepackaged brownie bites (little Debbie maybe?), gushers, fruit rollups, Squizits. My brother has a congenital disease so we didn’t have too too many snacks in the house. It was mostly for school lunches when we packed. We never had juice in the house, but I remember drinking pop. I hate it now though

When we visited an aunt and uncle in PA they always had Charles Chips and yes, I recall the cans too:).

Oh, I forgot Popsicles! My mom and my aunt both made their own (with Jello - kept them from melting so fast.)

That was the only specialty item my mother got from her stint doing Tupperware parties: Popsicle molds!
Not sure about whether she put Jello in hers but there was always a lot of fruit courtesy of her mother's back yard in Queens. For some reason the lot next door to Grandmother was never built on for decades by which point she had grown fruit trees, figs, and of course vegetables. Coming back from her home always required long bus and subway rides with your arms in full use.
When the lot's owners finally decided to reclaim it she and her neighbors were very unhappy, LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter