What snacks were in your fridge or cupboard growing up?

Charles Chips chips and cookies. Space Sticks, Ding Dongs, fruit pies, and we always had what mom called “turkey sandwiches” which was crackers spread with peanut butter.

My kids had a Little Debbie basket. My neighbor gave my DGS a little Debbie last week and I told my daughter how much he loved it. She said, “my child isn’t growing up with a little Debbie basket!”

DGS is only allowed homemade bread, treats, etc with organic ingredients. She’s a better mom than me!

I can't stand the taste of jello or pudding premade in those little cups, because my childhood memories of my mom making them from scratch was so much better (even if she had to put saran wrap tightly on top of the pudding so it didn't develop a skin).

My DH always says he married up because he came from a Little Debbie household while my house had Hostess snacks :D.

TAB and taco flavored Doritos while watching the afternoon soaps in the summer with my mom, aaah.......

Terri

Oh, I forgot about Handi-Snacks, Squeezits, and Tang! Also those "Pik-Nik" potato stick things. When Cool Ranch Doritos became all the rage, we seemed to have those around every so often.

I make it sound like all we ate was junk but I swear we didn't, LOL.

We only got the fun snack stuff during the summer or when we went camping. Dunka Roos, Squeeze It, and Mickey Parade ice cream products!!! I loved them! During the school year we had organic fruit leather, Tree Top apple juice, and honey sweetened knock off Fruit Newtons.

I remember we used to get the pudding and fruit cups in the little tin cans with "child safe" lids. Now, it's all the plastic containers.

6a4c0d6770cdf5a9fa40997d1817c01d.jpg

We didn't really have snacks outside of meals, pbj and cereal but once in a while my mother would make homemade rice pudding. She would fill up coffee cups with it and sprinkle fresh cinnamon on top. It was delicious warm or cold straight from the fridge.

Hostess potato chips

That’s all we wanted. We were addicted. I don’t think they even made it to the cupboard after a grocery shop. Lol.

I remember when the Hostess cupcakes actually tasted good. My favorite were the cupcakes with the orange icing. And I used to love HoHo's. When I had one several years ago, they all taste like chemicals. Bleeh! :p

I can't think of a single bought/processed snack that would have been in the pantry growing up. There would usually be a pot of soup on the stove, fresh fruit, pie, or some sort of macaroni or potato salad in the fridge to snack on. I grew up on a large ranch so unlimited amounts of our own meat, eggs, and veggies.

We always had Jiffy popcorn in those exploding looking tins on Sunday nights. I was in charge of popping them being the oldest. Also we had those weird cake things with marshmallows in between. The only other snacks were cereal and toast (which my brother would give me 25 cents to make him his toast. That was a fortune back in the day but hey he had his own paper route!! :teeth:

Hostess Cupcakes or King Dons (yes, King Dons. When we ate them they weren't Ding Dongs)

Doritos. I remember when Cool Ranch came out and it was like they invented the wheel. 🤯 lol

Pudding Pops. I miss those. They make them now but they are NOT the same.

Otter Pops. Popsicles cool cousin. I loved those. The flavors were more intense compared to those awful freeze pops in the plastic nets.

I was thinking of starting a separate thread, but maybe this would be a good place to see if maybe it deserves a spinoff thread.

So today I was buying some soft drinks and had to buy a bunch to get a certain special. It seemed to be all the various 7 Up (technically Keurig Dr Pepper) brands like Canada Dry, 7 Up, A&W, etc. And off to the side I see that RC Cola is part of the deal since it's one of their brands. I guess Dr Pepper is not since Pepsi still maintains the rights to bottle/can it.

I remember when RC Cola wasn't far behind Coke and Pepsi. But it's something I would need to explain to my 9 year old. I know a lot of these sodas from my youth haven't completely vanished, but they seem to be holding in as fringe players in maybe a few markets. Even some from the big boys like Pepsi and Coke barely make what used to be their big sellers. I'm not thinking stuff like Pepsi Free or new Coke. In my youth in the 70s/80s I remember Coke used to sell a lot of Fresca and Tab. Today, while my kid was having Sierra Mist at a Costco, I was explaining that they had a soft drink called Slice that used to include a lemon-lime versions, as well as bottling Bubble Up at one time. And I remember ads for C&C Cola.

I looked them up, and almost all of these brands still exist even if I can't find them. RC may be the only one I could reliably find.

I was thinking of starting a separate thread, but maybe this would be a good place to see if maybe it deserves a spinoff thread.

So today I was buying some soft drinks and had to buy a bunch to get a certain special. It seemed to be all the various 7 Up (technically Keurig Dr Pepper) brands like Canada Dry, 7 Up, A&W, etc. And off to the side I see that RC Cola is part of the deal since it's one of their brands. I guess Dr Pepper is not since Pepsi still maintains the rights to bottle/can it.

I remember when RC Cola wasn't far behind Coke and Pepsi. But it's something I would need to explain to my 9 year old. I know a lot of these sodas from my youth haven't completely vanished, but they seem to be holding in as fringe players in maybe a few markets. Even some from the big boys like Pepsi and Coke barely make what used to be their big sellers. I'm not thinking stuff like Pepsi Free or new Coke. In my youth in the 70s/80s I remember Coke used to sell a lot of Fresca and Tab. Today, while my kid was having Sierra Mist at a Costco, I was explaining that they had a soft drink called Slice that used to include a lemon-lime versions, as well as bottling Bubble Up at one time. And I remember ads for C&C Cola.

I looked them up, and almost all of these brands still exist even if I can't find them. RC may be the only one I could reliably find.

I definitely think soda fans are tenacious. They will write in if they can't find their favorite! (For instance, you can still get one called Moxie here in New England, though I'e never tried it.)

Soda is also something that doesn't need special molds (like, say, a particular candy bar) so the companies can just change the flavor they're making on the same equipment and do a limited run once in a while to keep up with demand.

I blame my mother for my weight as when I got out it was the thought of, I can eat whatever I want now. Same with money and getting into debt early. Never was allowed to have snacks/junk food as a kid and was never allowed to keep my own money.

Charles Chips - CHips and Pretzels
Golden Egg Custard
Jello 1-2-3
Homemade pudding
Snow balls
Ring Dings
Yodels

I definitely think soda fans are tenacious. They will write in if they can't find their favorite! (For instance, you can still get one called Moxie here in New England, though I'e never tried it.)

Soda is also something that doesn't need special molds (like, say, a particular candy bar) so the companies can just change the flavor they're making on the same equipment and do a limited run once in a while to keep up with demand.

I remember visiting some store (don't recall exactly where) that specialized in all sorts of carbonated beverages. They were pricey too, but it was literally shelves of hundreds of different drinks including ones that were marketed in another region. Some of the names were familiar, but they had stuff that's probably still made in small quantities but not necessarily in most supermarkets or even liquor stores. I saw Dad's root bear, Thomas Kemper sodas, and Jolt Cola along with many I'd never heard of.

My mother always made a big bowl of jello. (Thinking of this sitting here eating a jello cup.)

She also made pudding on the stove and poured it into individual cups - chocolate, butterscotch, tapioca, and sometimes egg custard with nutmeg on top. Loved those! I never make it that way, but I should - I do buy the cups to keep on hand.

This was in the days before yogurt became popular. I remember when my older sister first brought yogurt home, it took a little getting used to - it wasn't as good then, as it is today; more tart.

I am "older" and was a teenager in the 60's! We didn't have snacks around like we do now. We had plenty of left overs from supper. I remember getting in the fridge for a snack of fried chicken or steak. That's what we had for "snacks". The real treats were for birthdays and holidays. We sometimes had a treat of homemade fudge or homemade ice cream, or popcorn on Saturday nights. I know it sounds like we missed out, but we never knew any different, and I feel it was healthier.
Now I have cookies, ice cream, chips and snack cakes around all the time.
Thanks for this thread, I forgot all about what we had as "snacks":)

I am "older" and was a teenager in the 60's! We didn't have snacks around like we do now. We had plenty of left overs from supper. I remember getting in the fridge for a snack of fried chicken or steak. That's what we had for "snacks". The real treats were for birthdays and holidays. We sometimes had a treat of homemade fudge or homemade ice cream, or popcorn on Saturday nights. I know it sounds like we missed out, but we never knew any different, and I feel it was healthier.
Now I have cookies, ice cream, chips and snack cakes around all the time.
Thanks for this thread, I forgot all about what we had as "snacks":)

I'm thinking there would have been more homemade baking for snacks as more stay at home moms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter