What snacks were in your fridge or cupboard growing up?

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
My mother always made a big bowl of jello. (Thinking of this sitting here eating a jello cup.)

She also made pudding on the stove and poured it into individual cups - chocolate, butterscotch, tapioca, and sometimes egg custard with nutmeg on top. Loved those! I never make it that way, but I should - I do buy the cups to keep on hand.

This was in the days before yogurt became popular. I remember when my older sister first brought yogurt home, it took a little getting used to - it wasn't as good then, as it is today; more tart.

Last week I made jello for the first time in 5 years. I forgot how tasty it is and simple to make.

The only snack I remember from childhood is Chips Ahoy. For my kids I bought those tapioca pudding cups, yogurt, homemade choc chip cookies, brownies and chocolate cake. Pop tarts, popcorn, ice cream, Oreos

Last edited:

My dad used to keep Beddar Cheddar's and Cheezits in his special cabinet; we always stole them. We got Mike Sells potato chips and hard pretzels.

Very little as far as anything pre-packaged goes. I dreamed of the processed, store-bought crap I saw on tv. :p We mostly only ate real food that my mother prepared and there was usually fruit, cheese and crackers, ice-cream and home baking for in-between mealtimes and always a bowl of cereal in a pinch.

Last edited:

What snacks were in your fridge or cupboard growing up?

Our go-to "snack plates" had cheese and crackers (or pretzels) with pepperoni and bell pepper strips.

There were always nuts and some sort of chips in the cupboard, and ice cream in the freezer.

By the time I was a teen, we had a microwave, so popcorn as well. (My mom liked to eat it with chocolate!)

She also made pudding on the stove and poured it into individual cups

Mine did that too! I only liked the Jello ones, though. My brother liked the pudding.

Pop Tarts.

We always had those around, but they were for breakfast when you were bored with cereal, not really for snacks.

Peanut Butter Boppers, Tato Skins, Fruit Roll-Ups, fruit snacks, Kudos. :)

Oooh yes, Tato Skins and Fruit Roll ups. I remember I used to love Tid Bids too. I was also a nachos and melted cheese kid.

Tastykake.

Scooter Pies. Dixie Doodle Ice Milk Popsicles (do they even make ice milk anymore?).

Nabisco's Royal Lunch crackers (gosh I miss them!)
Milk
Fruit
Sharp Cheddar cheese
Graham crackers
Apple sauce on toast.
Mixed nuts and dried fruit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter