What will soon be out of existence

We still get a phone book dropped on our porch, they go straight to the recycle bin. Selling ad space in the Yellow Pages used to be a huge cash cow, I wonder if they had any idea of the sea change that was coming to their industry until it was too late.

Someone posted landlines, and I agree to this. We haven't had one since 2006.
  • Interestingly though, I had this conversation recently with a friend who still has and uses a landline. Apparently their last school district required that families have local area code phone numbers in order to receive communication from their child's school as the school would not call long distance. Since they're military and were not planning to change their cell numbers they had to get a local landline. Then when they relocated here last year they got one again assuming that our local district might have been the same way.
Someone mentioned media- CD, DVDs in favor of streaming. Years ago we said this about vinyl, and it's making a comeback. True not in the numbers that it was in the past, but it's being sold in stores again. This weekend the news ran a feature on the National Audio Company who is still churning out cassette tapes, and apparently they continue to increase distribution 20% each year. So never say never.

Brick and mortar grocery stores. Most are already operating on razor thin margins. As the trend of home grocery delivery continues to grow, I can see the larger chains moving to smaller buildings and offering only fresh, perishable goods at extremely high prices.

Also private practice doctors offices. The appeal of the walk-in medical center is a growing trend in my area of the country. Thier extended hours along with no longer needing an appointment seems to work well with our ever-growing craving for “instant gratification”. They are popping up almost as frequently as pharmacies are around here with each new location occupying more square footage than the last.

Perhaps, if the trend continues, someday the walk-in medical centers will occupy the large buildings that were formerly grocery stores.
We had them in our area and they shut down. Heck we even had one in our mall. I had one near our place and I loved it. Gone. Both Urgent Cares are only in our clinics again.

Inside Malls. Stores are shutting like crazy in our area. We just lost Younkers, ie Bon Ton, Sears, JCP.
But down the road 40miles, a new strip Mall opened with TJ Max, a Home Store, Costco.

Inside Malls. Stores are shutting like crazy in our area. We just lost Younkers, ie Bon Ton, Sears, JCP.
But down the road 40miles, a new strip Mall opened with TJ Max, a Home Store, Costco.
We must be neighbors!:sunny: I know exactly where you're referring to,lol!

Mail is dead but package delivery will keep the USPS going.

The only thing I have received in the mail in the last year that was not junk mail was my 2017 tax year pin from the IRS.

You didn't get any birthday cards, holiday cards, invitations to weddings or other events? No paper bills at all (our town taxes and water bill are only via paper still)? No magazines, college newsletters? We still get all of those via mail.

You didn't get any birthday cards, holiday cards, invitations to weddings or other events? No paper bills at all (our town taxes and water bill are only via paper still)? No magazines, college newsletters? We still get all of those via mail.
Every bill I receive is electronic. The only magazine I subscribe to is electronic. I subscribe to the electronic only version of the Atlanta paper. College newsletters are just junk versions of what has already appeared on Facebook.

No birthday cards, no wedding invites. We did get a wedding invite but it was hand delivered.

We did get holiday cards but again they basically qualify as junk since they were all photo based cards and were also delivered via Facebook or Instagram.

We did get 50-75 packages from Amazon delivered by the USPS in the last 12 months.

Last edited:
Skiing/skating in NJ - the winters used to be much colder but in the last 30 years the temperatures have risen just high enough where it's a rarity to skate on a lake anymore in winter and the lone ski resort left in the state is struggling every year to have a season.

Most of stuff from Amazon comes from Fed Ex. The local post office is considering closing on Saturday to save money

It very much depends on where you live. I almost never see a FedEx or UPS truck in my community - they don't like to deliver to small towns/rural area, as it isn't efficient, so they use "mail innovation" programs where the USPS is the final delivery carrier even though one of the private companies handled the majority of the shipping process. Our post office now does Sunday package delivery year-round - just a few years ago, that was only a holiday-season service.

That's a trend I just don't get. I'm seeing it here too, but it strikes me as a little nuts given our weather. I won't shop the "upscale" mall in my area during the winter because it is a beautiful open-air space with lovely landscaping and fountains and seating and gathering spaces... All of which translates into slushy, slick sidewalks one has to traverse in the the lovely wind-tunnel created by the layout of the building to get from one store to another. It is a fabulous place to shop in May but I've never bought a single Christmas gift there. But it is thriving as the traditional mall down the road slowly dies so I guess I'm in the minority for not wanting to have to bundle up to go from one store to the next.

Most of stuff from Amazon comes from Fed Ex. The local post office is considering closing on Saturday to save money

Must be regional, I get a lot via Amazon (Prime) and it has never been delivered FedEx, we have a pretty even split between Amazon Logistics, UPS, and USPS.

I wish the Fax Machine would just go away, it seems so archaic on the off chance that I have to use it.

I'm wondering how long before cabs go bye bye and are just just taken over by Uber and things like that

Paper Checks! Got behind a lady in the commissary the other day writing out a check... they just scanned it through their machine and handed it back to her... hardly seemed worth the trouble to write it out!

I would think all those "save the date" wedding announcements would keep the post office in business.

I find them a complete waste, and when the time comes will try to persuade my kids not to go thru the added expense.

Just seems with all the social media, why not send something out that way instead of thru the mail?

Skiing/skating in NJ - the winters used to be much colder but in the last 30 years the temperatures have risen just high enough where it's a rarity to skate on a lake anymore in winter and the lone ski resort left in the state is struggling every year to have a season.
My son bikes down on that ski hill. They probably get more business from March to November with biking then the do with skiing. They also have a water park next door, which is really old, but still fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter