What's the best strategy for MMRR

I replied that OP should rope drop, but in fairness, I now realize that is open to interpretation. Currently, a true "rope drop" at HS means around 9:15, when they first start letting folks into the park. If you are there at 10am, you've missed rope drop and it is probably the worst time of day to ride. This is similar to how ROP used to operate in the "before times" when people would show up at 9:01 for a 9am open and wonder how the FOP line got to two hours long already.

In other words, if you are able to enter the park right wen it opens and get in the MMRR line first thing, it is the shortest wait of the day. Otherwise, avoid mornings, but afternoons are bad too so I wouldn't do 3pm either--it is either first thing when park opens or last thing before park closes if you want to avoid a wait.
Thanks for saying what I've been trying to say so much more clearly haha

So if I want to ride MMRR, but do not really care about the SW rides....What is the best time to arrive to lessen the time in line? Would arriving at 3:00 allow for a shorter wait for MMRR? Later? Or rope drop with the masked crowd???

Just want to visit DHS and ride it and visit the shops. Maybe do Toy Story and TOT. That's about it. It will be on a Thursday if that helps.

Thanks for any advice.
We did 3pm ish Friday. From entering line to ride start 17 minutes.
The line looked long but it moves really fast.

The castmember standing at the door entry tried to reassure family their WiFi would work inside MMRR . We decided to stay in line & trust castmember and were successful deep inside as we made turn into final corner before boarding. We saw his family being seated on Goofys Train in Runamuck Park without him. So sad if this was family’s first trip. But Understand choices to make Come with no guarantee.

We got in line at 9:30 with a 35 minute wait time. (Which was perfect for getting a boarding group). Well the wait was about 10 minutes shorter. (we got a boarding group while on the ride)
Since we missed the ending due to BG, we got in line again around 4, hr listed wait. We waited maybe 25 minutes.
The line moved and loaded very quickly.

I am glad that people are reporting being successful getting a ROTR BG while in the queue or on the ride for MMRR. This is probably going to be my strategy when I go on Saturday.

Honestly rope drop it right now. If you wanna ride ToT or RnRC because they're shorter I'd make that decision day of. Trying to gauge the waits right now is basically like flipping a coin. DO NOT (and I rarely put things in caps but I cannot stress this enough) ride in the heat of the day unless you see a 40 min. wait or lower. Most of the social distance queue is outside in the baking sunlight and everything fries. It's really uncomfortable too with all the sweat on you and under your mask and all of the people putting masks below their nose and permitting themselves and/or their young kids to take them off entirely. Only do those literally infernal hours if you have to, and grab some water before you go

Just back from a 10-day WDW trip and we rode MMRR twice on different days (not a weekend) Do it either very first thing or very last thing. It was never down when we were there. Mid-day is BRUTALLY hot and a lot of the queue is outside. I found the Touring Plans Lines app way more accurate than MDE projected wait times. The ride is amazing, one of our faves for sure. Check the position of your car in the train when the ride starts (1st, 2nd, etc)... It won't be in the same order when you're done!

I got in line about 9:45 this morning and waited less than 30 minutes. The line never really seemed to get shorter than 45 min throughout the day, highest I saw on the app today was 60. There isn't really a typical rope drop right now, if you can get into the park around 9:15 (depending on the hours when you go, 45 min before opening) that's probably the shortest wait.
So if HS opens "officially" at 10 am and you get in the park at 9:15, can you ride the rides?? Is everything open?? Food and rides? Thanks in advance!!

So if HS opens "officially" at 10 am and you get in the park at 9:15, can you ride the rides?? Is everything open?? Food and rides? Thanks in advance!!
Not sure about food, though I'm fairly certain the Starbucks was open. But yes, the rides are generally open once the park opens.

MMRR starts at 9:30, SDD starts at 9:45. I believe ToT and RnRC also start at 9:45, as they weren’t running yet when we got back there after the Railway.

Thanks!! I know where I'm heading to first!!!!!
We had success with 3 different rope drop strategies the past 2 weeks and snagged boarding groups right after our 2nd ride each time:
1) MMRR, RnRC, ToT
2) MMRR, SDD x2, MFSR
3) MMRR, SDD, MFSR x2

I think our 3rd strategy was the best one bc no worry of losing cell service in the outside queue at Slinky for boarding groups. That day we also got a later boarding group so we had time to hit everything else when the waits were still low, have lunch at brown derby, and then our group got called at 1:30. The other 2 mornings we were groups 2 and 4 so had to really hustle and squeeze in those other rides before our window closed. (We walked from Swan and were right at front of temp check a little after 9 each time).

We had success with 3 different rope drop strategies the past 2 weeks and snagged boarding groups right after our 2nd ride each time:
1) MMRR, RnRC, ToT
2) MMRR, SDD x2, MFSR
3) MMRR, SDD, MFSR x2

I think our 3rd strategy was the best one bc no worry of losing cell service in the outside queue at Slinky for boarding groups. That day we also got a later boarding group so we had time to hit everything else when the waits were still low, have lunch at brown derby, and then our group got called at 1:30. The other 2 mornings we were groups 2 and 4 so had to really hustle and squeeze in those other rides before our window closed. (We walked from Swan and were right at front of temp check a little after 9 each time).
So you were IN THE PARK a little after 9 am?? cool... Also, do you feel cell service is better outside of MMRR... and not so great over by SDD? Thanks in advance..

So you were IN THE PARK a little after 9 am?? cool... Also, do you feel cell service is better outside of MMRR... and not so great over by SDD? Thanks in advance..
We arrived at HS a little after 9:00 on 3 separate days and were at the front of the temp screening line. We were let into the park right at 9:15 and at the front of the queue for MMRR by 9:20. Let on the ride between 9:28-9:30 each time. From there, we got in one additional ride on different attractions before 10:00 boarding group time.

Not sure about cell service in MMRR bc we were off that ride by 9:35, but no problems getting boarding groups outside at Slinky after riding it after Railway. I had my WiFi off each time and got BG 2, 4, and 32 on Sprint LTE.

We did see a lot of people standing around waiting for boarding groups, but we had enough time to squeeze in one extra ride before 10:00. Our third visit was close - we got off Slinky at 9:59!

We arrived at HS a little after 9:00 on 3 separate days and were at the front of the temp screening line. We were let into the park right at 9:15 and at the front of the queue for MMRR by 9:20. Let on the ride between 9:28-9:30 each time. From there, we got in one additional ride on different attractions before 10:00 boarding group time.

Not sure about cell service in MMRR bc we were off that ride by 9:35, but no problems getting boarding groups outside at Slinky after riding it after Railway. I had my WiFi off each time and got BG 2, 4, and 32 on Sprint LTE.

We did see a lot of people standing around waiting for boarding groups, but we had enough time to squeeze in one extra ride before 10:00. Our third visit was close - we got off Slinky at 9:59!
:crazy: that's close!!

I have an idea. Why don't you ride it twice. You can rope drop it, ride some of your other favorites, leave and take the Skyliner to your ADR then go back late in the afternoon and ride it again just before close. :)

Just back from WDW and we rode MMRR on 3 different days. We walked over from the Swan and arrived between 9 and 9:10 each day. They opened the temp screening right at 9:15 and then we headed directly to MMRR. First time, we were 5th group from front. Then 2nd and 3rd. The ride started at 9:28 each time, so we waited less than 10 minutes. Then we were able to hit Slinky, Smugglers, and other headliners each time with low waits, and got boarding groups for RoTR each time.

I’ve also read that if you get in line right before closing that the waits are short, and they artificially inflate the actual wait times at the end of the night. Good luck, it’s such a fun ride!

May I ask which days of the week you visited? Wondering if weekends are still busier. We are going 3rd week in October and plan on HS on a Thursday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter