What's your Oldest Theme Park Souvenier?

A mickey necklace that my Grandpa bought me in Dec 71.

Kae

Mine is from Disneyland. My Dad took us in 1976 and he bought me 2 books one on POTC & IASM and the Bicentenial Parade and I got a Winne the Pooh stuffed animal too. We went back in 1980 and he bought me a large Jiminy Cricket Doll and that still my very favorite souvener.

I have some Disneyland "Tencennial" stuff from 1965, including a park map. Also some late 70s WDW merch.:earsboy:

when i went the first time when i was 7(in oct 1994) my first souvenier i ever bought was mouse ears and i still have it:D

I have a certificate (that my mom saved. Thanks Mom!) from the Mouseketeer Club from our stay at the Contemporary in 1975. I was 5.

but we have a cel/animation art from a WW2 propaganda film that Disney published in the 1940s called Dah Furher's Face. It's an image of Donald Duck that was given to my mother as a birthday gift when she was a toddler by our cousin who was Walt's personal secretary. The mat is signed by Walt in red crayon. The piece has hung on my mother's wall as long as I can remember.

My oldest is still my favorite: My "Cooking with Mickey" Cookbook. I got it on my first visit, my honeymoon in 1992. Still use it ALL the time.:lovestruc

This is a great thread and I had to really think! We have the great Tiki glass, I remember my dad getting a drink in it back in 78, and as well having lunch at the Poly at the same time and being so amazed by the butter pats with the Mickey on them. I think our oldest souvie is a book my dad bought in 1976, it has a black cover in the shape of a D, with a cut out in the middle. It is the history and building of Disney World with photos and stories from the time Walt planned the World till its opening. We also have a puzzle we bought in a round can, it is of the castle. In 78 we have our original paper room key - it was as well our pass to get us on transport, we were in 2414 at The Poly. Each of us had one and had to show to get on the monorail or buses. I also bought as my own souvenier a lovely china Snow White Music box. She was an individual figurine that had a switch on the back and a crank on the bottom, she plays "some day my prince will come". My daughter now has her in her room with the entire set of dwarves I bought to sort of match this, 18 years later in 1996! Of course there were many tshirts and sweathshirts. I also have the Ten Centennial souveniers and still have the little plastic box that once held candy. We were lucky enough to also visit on the 20th anniversary and have a poster they gave to all room guests. I think I also have one of the bags from the gift shops from the 70s!! White paper backing with orange and pink figures on it. Oh the memories.

I have a plastic mug from the 15 years Celebration. I don't think I have anything from earlier than that, but I also have a plastic cup/glass from the 20 years Celebration too! Not sure what year ( 1987?) but I have a stuffed "Hooter"! Does anyone remember him? He was the elephant character in Captain EO. I know I'm weird but I liked the stuffed one, he was cute!

Mine isn't a souvie we bought, it's about a minute of 8 mm film I've had converted to tape of Disneyland in 1964 that has about 5 seconds of Walt. He stepped out of Main Street Cinema right in front of us. This is something I cherish.

That is awsome!! :cool1:

A poncho my aunt gave me - it's clear, impressive quality, and had Magic Kingdom and Epcot logos on the back. I love it!

I have this. Found this picture online but I have the same one hidden away somewhere. When I look at this now I cringe but it was the COOLEST thing when I was 8.

wdw3.jpg

I have a poster of the castle and one of the Poly that we got in 1974 on our first trip. I have decorated a Disney theme bedroom for my two grandchildren and they are hanging on the wall. Also a stuffed Pluto and small figurines that my children got as souveniers in 1974. I have a small ashtray type dish that is black with a white castle on it and there is one on display in Walt's museum in HS. Also a framed picture of two lovebirds that we got at the Poly. It seems like such a short time ago that we got these items and have accumulated many more over the years. Almost forgot the brass Mickey figurine that stands about 6 inches tall - so cute and I just love it. All of these items were from our first trip and it's amazing to me that I can actually remember getting them!

Cool thread! I've been a collector of Disney Park souvenir items since our first trip to WDW in 1974; we brought home a lot of souvies usually not considered collectible like logo wrapped soaps, matches and all the paper work from our stays at the Contemp and Poly hotels, and the park itself. And of course, lots of photographs.

My interest in DL started with the first shows previewing Disneyland hosted by "Uncle Walt". We planned a family vacation in the late 50's to So. Cal and Disneyland, but the dreams were ended with the illness of my father and then his sudden and unexpected death in 1960.

The oldest WDW things I have would be the promo souvies before the park opened. These were sold at the preview center, now home to an athletic organization in hotel row near DTD.

I guess the oldest DL stuff would have to be the preview supplements from the LA Times newspaper about Disneyland, and the pre-opening artwork postcards.

Perhaps one of the neatest DL things I ever saw was several "personal" view-master reels taken the opening day in Disneyland, with shots behind the scenes of the ABC TV cameras and cables, the VIPS and the scary "characters"! It was NOT for sale!

Of everything in my collection, my very favorite WDW piece has to be the original masonite map of "the world" that hung in the rooms of the Poly and Contemp when they first opened. I also have some of the original Contemp Pueblo Indian art from that same decor of 1971.

Had to think hard about my favorites from DL... maybe the ashtrays from the '50's, or anything having to do with "Big Red".

If there's anyone out there who would like to discuss the really old stuff from the parks, please email or PM me. I'd be happy to talk to you...

I have a stuffed Pluto and a stuffed Figment from our first trip in 1985. I think we also have meal tickets and such from that trip as well.

Plus the toys have held up very very well.

From WDW, I have a 1979 wall map of MK and a 1982 wall map of Epcot. From DL, I have the souvenir pictorial guidebook from my first trip there, in the summer of 1956 when I was 4. It has one corner missing on the cover that I chewed off (apparently I liked to eat paper back then).

The oldest WDW souvie I have was brought home to me by my cousins- it's an Empress Lilly pennant signed by Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald and Goofy circa about 1983(??).

The oldest personal souvie was from my first trip- in 1997. It's a 25th anniversary snowglobe with Sorcerer Mickey on top (no 'cake-stle' present) :P

This discussion is a better fit for the theme parks community board, so I'm going to move it over there now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter