• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where are (or were) the crowds?????

It does...because they have 50 mil+ visitors annually and those numbers are weighted still (not as much as used to) in the peak periods.

You would need probably 50,000 Canadians (minimum) traveling outside of the typical (nobody better at numbers than disney) to cause an influx/crowd issue. To make a dent.

So the number does matter?

It actually reminds me in the 2000 era when people would come into resorts late on a Friday and say:

"we need a room"

"Sold out"

"That's impossible...you have a ton of rooms"

"2,112...sold out"

"Give me a reserve room"

"No reserve rooms"

"That's impossible..."

"Not only is it possible...it's true...a pipe broke and 4 rooms had to be moved to yacht"

"can I go to yacht?"

"I'd love to...but they're sold out"

"Who has rooms?"

"Might be a couple at the disney institute...I'll call"

"Wow, this must be a busy night?"

"99.3% occupancy for the year...this is EVERY night"

My point? And it has nothing to do with my undying love for the birthplace of my ultimate god Mario Lemieux...is that when people say "we have off" and "a lot" those are "micro" details in a place that's governed by "macro" principles. Minor fluctuations.

But AGAIN...we're talking about two weeks that appear to be flip flopped. Many pieces to the puzzle...not just Canadians.

Well, I'm not suggesting it's just Canadians. But I'm thinking along the lines of @LaidBackDad. More schools than usual in Canada and the States are not starting back until the 9th.

I get the point...I just disagree on its significance.

My main contest to this is that breaks were the shortest they'll ever be in some areas...as I said: including the highest populated feeder area in the Country.

Florida could have a lot to do with it...that is the most reasonable explanation.

Or price...still my leader In the clubhouse.

We are in agreement.

Just back from R1 #3 by the way.

I think the "balance" was worse before.

Seems like they are trying to balance/disperse crowds, partially through pricing and blackouts.

Many locals probably chose Gold, Silver or Weekday passes and have been waiting to get back since Dec 18-esp if they are off this week.

You always see the "good"...even when it's not there.

They want larger, higher paying crowds everyday of the year...and no bad PR...

That's not in question. I am glad you enjoyed the net effect in the short term

What's not good?

The lowest crowds of our last 10 plus XMAS weeks?

Or its not good for WDW?

What's not good?

The lowest crowds of our last 10 plus XMAS weeks?

Or its not good for WDW?

Diminished crowds due to high prices is bad for everyone...they crack down and "extract" it somewhere else.

How would you like an $800 Florida pass?

Well, I'm not suggesting it's just Canadians. But I'm thinking along the lines of @LaidBackDad. More schools than usual in Canada and the States are not starting back until the 9th.

What's "more" and what effect is my question...

We got some upper midwesterners vacationing this week...and that's great for them...sporadically through Florida...but does that butter the bread?

Diminished crowds due to high prices is bad for everyone...they crack down and "extract" it somewhere else.

Maybe it'll be positive in the long run. They'll be forced to write down the value of ESPN sooner or later. At some point they'll have to admit that WDW is not the cash cow that ESPN was. It's not like they can force people to vacation there through the magic of bundling. So in the long run they'll have to compete on the basis of value.

Right now they're treating sequels and reboots as safe movie investments. After this holiday season maybe they'll admit that huge price increases and glacially slow park development aren't the safest way of drawing visitors to their little corner of central FL.

The crowds were at Disneyland, that's for sure. We just got back from four days at DL & CA at the Grand Californian. PACKED OUT the whole time. Frankly, it was almost too much for me. I was hoping that after the 1st, the crowds would dip. Nope. :(

Still good for me sorry. Lowest crowds ever for that week and my pass went down in price.

Still good for me sorry. Lowest crowds ever for that week and my pass went down in price.

Today it might be good. Your AP pass price per month and lower crowds may be valuable for you this year.....or it may not be. IF Disney does not generate the revenue needed for upkeep, staffing and parks operations, there will be diminished experiences. It may not affect your family this year, but long term it is going to be problematic.

I think that WDW has been used as a cash register that funnels money to floundering areas of DIsney holdings and parks, without replenishing the WDW coffers with funds that that resort generates. THere will come a time when guests refuse to subsidize areas that they do not use, and will rebel when cuts in their "home" resort begin to leave them with buyers remorse. If and when this happens, you may rethink the value you gain on your additional month added to the AP. If that is offered again.

Today it might be good. Your AP pass price per month and lower crowds may be valuable for you this year.....or it may not be. IF Disney does not generate the revenue needed for upkeep, staffing and parks operations, there will be diminished experiences. It may not affect your family this year, but long term it is going to be problematic.

I think that WDW has been used as a cash register that funnels money to floundering areas of DIsney holdings and parks, without replenishing the WDW coffers with funds that that resort generates. THere will come a time when guests refuse to subsidize areas that they do not use, and will rebel when cuts in their "home" resort begin to leave them with buyers remorse. If and when this happens, you may rethink the value you gain on your additional month added to the AP. If that is offered again.

It's no use..."that armor is too strong for blasters"

Just pay and don't question. They're not wrong...can't be. It would ruin my perception of my happy place.

It's no use..."that armor is too strong for blasters"

Just pay and don't question. They're not wrong...can't be. It would ruin my perception of my happy place.

I don't understand what there is to understand. Yes, reduced crowds during a know "slow" period is nice. Diminishing crowds during notoriously busy times frames are a harbinger of what is to come, and that is never good. I love DIsney and spend most of our vacation dollars there, but I notice lately what is missing, what has been reduced, and what has not been replaced after having been removed. The cast members are wonderful, but they cannot bear the burden of supplementing guest experiences, when food and lodging and parks tickets continue to climb, and while previously free activities are now for purchase event. Once WDW has a reputation of not giving a value for the dollars spent, that "news" is contagious.

I take advantage of discounts, and I understand why an AP holder would not have a problem with an additional month to the year, but I also look to see why these things occur, and if there is an underlying reason that may be an issue long term.

I don't understand what there is to understand. Yes, reduced crowds during a know "slow" period is nice. Diminishing crowds during notoriously busy times frames are a harbinger of what is to come, and that is never good. I love DIsney and spend most of our vacation dollars there, but I notice lately what is missing, what has been reduced, and what has not been replaced after having been removed. The cast members are wonderful, but they cannot bear the burden of supplementing guest experiences, when food and lodging and parks tickets continue to climb, and while previously free activities are now for purchase event. Once WDW has a reputation of not giving a value for the dollars spent, that "news" is contagious.

I take advantage of discounts, and I understand why an AP holder would not have a problem with an additional month to the year, but I also look to see why these things occur, and if there is an underlying reason that may be an issue long term.

There's still a sect that resents any criticism...as if they're standing In the soft asphalt in Anaheim in July 1955 and their life just changed...

It's a mentality that somehow any thought as a consumer is offensive to their brainwaves...which damages everyone longterm.

I am mostly dismissed as a critic...and I certainly earn that...but I want to praise. But I don't praise table scraps or fall for the igerian business tactics...they are so low rent. High price...but low rent.

Just give me something to praise!!! Please...I'll pay...promise... :)

It's disheartening. Any consideration of cabanas behind the carousel of progress is...just...wrong. But even that I could concede if I didn't know how the beast thinks. It never stops there when you start paying for things. It won't...it can't because of the economics. We have to protect ourselves.

There's still a sect that resents any criticism...as if they're standing In the soft asphalt in Anaheim in July 1955 and their life just changed...

It's a mentality that somehow any thought as a consumer is offensive to their brainwaves...which damages everyone longterm.

I am mostly dismissed as a critic...and I certainly earn that...but I want to praise. But I don't praise table scraps or fall for the igerian business tactics...they are so low rent. High price...but low rent.

Just give me something to praise!!! Please...I'll pay...promise... :)

It's disheartening. Any consideration of cabanas behind the carousel of progress is...just...wrong. But even that I could concede if I didn't know how the beast thinks. It never stops there when you start paying for things. It won't...it can't because of the economics. We have to protect ourselves.

I agree to a point. As consumers we should pay close attention to what add-on's may lead to permanent pricing in the long term. I see no harm in the cabanas and regard them in teh same way I regard the cabanas at some of the resort pools. Expensive but perhaps serve a purpose for a limited number of people. The removal of parade viewing spots, or adding a pay for play ruled on the Liberty Belle during a parade? I am not on board that one. Don't take areas and attractions out of commission for paid events. I dont care for where that practices may lead. Adding resort fees? Nope. My personal line in the sand. If you want to raise resort rates, do it. Do not bury costs by adding additional fees.

I am like a member of the Disney card carrying fan club. I find a lot to be happy about, can understand rates and fees that may increase, and willing pay for extras my family enjoy. I am a realist though, and feel strongly that the pace renovations and additions are moving at, along with increased costs that add not much value are a harbinger of things to come, and while I may continue to visit, I am not going to throw all of my dollars into a vacation that does not deliver.

I cannot understand the problem that is ROL. I want it to be released when it is ready, and not pushed through, of course. But my concern is that after the Soarin' renovation, Disney is going to be willing to cut corners where they believe they will be accepted without question. I like the new Soarin' but holy distortion! How much thought was placed into how this attraction would play when it was in the creation phase? Is this where Disney is going? Of so, Avatarland and Star Wars Land may be a let down after years and years of anticipation. That, IMO, will be the real beginning of the end of Disney Parks and Resorts revenue. WE already see what is occuring in regards to the DIning portion of packages and how the resorts are suffering when folks no longer see the value of all meals onsite. If this continues to expand, that is when the folks who see just the value they gain by decreased crowds may find that they no longer can sustain the expense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter