• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where are (or were) the crowds?????

Nothing dents it, huh?

Check your receipt last year and compare it to this year...how much did you save?

Last XMAS receipts didn't have a 20% discount on them for one thing, this year they do.

And next year that week (XMAS) is in month 13 of my AP.

You guessed it.......free. :worship:

Last edited:
I think that WDW has been used as a cash register that funnels money to floundering areas of DIsney holdings and parks, without replenishing the WDW coffers with funds that that resort generates. THere will come a time when guests refuse to subsidize areas that they do not use, and will rebel when cuts in their "home" resort begin to leave them with buyers remorse. If and when this happens, you may rethink the value you gain on your additional month added to the AP. If that is offered again.

It's definitely unsustainable. I'm very fortunate to vacation, could not do so for 12 or so years. So being able to see WDW once again as an adult and taking my child has been great. However, this is not something we could do every single time, there just isn't enough to change things up. I'm absolutely the type of person they should want to be attracting, older Millennial with a high salary; interested in extra-cost experiences, if the mental value works out. But instead I'll probably hop on a RCCL ship in 2018. Maybe go to Disneyland in 2019. Universal doesn't quite hit it out of the park for me either. But I definitely see the value there for short trips moreso than WDW, especially with the crowding. They're not doing themselves any favors at WDW by delaying.

It's definitely unsustainable. I'm very fortunate to vacation, could not do so for 12 or so years. So being able to see WDW once again as an adult and taking my child has been great. However, this is not something we could do every single time, there just isn't enough to change things up. I'm absolutely the type of person they should want to be attracting, older Millennial with a high salary; interested in extra-cost experiences, if the mental value works out. But instead I'll probably hop on a RCCL ship in 2018. Maybe go to Disneyland in 2019. Universal doesn't quite hit it out of the park for me either. But I definitely see the value there for short trips moreso than WDW, especially with the crowding. They're not doing themselves any favors at WDW by delaying.

I agree that you are the demographic that should be on DIsney's radar, along with my own. My DH is just a few months from retiring with a full pension, we have no kids at home, our house is paid, and I recently went back to work. We have one granddaughter who hung our moon, and most of our adult children love Disney. We have the discretionary funds that we did not have when our children were growing up, and DH likes to spend those funds on our family. I booked a BB for December, and my DSIL and my DGD dont want to go back, at least that is what they said now. I guess they did what they wanted to do in July. We will do a family vacation, but I am not sure it will be WDW. IF my DD would cruise, we would plan the family vacation on a cruise and let my DS and DDIL do all our planning.

I agree that you are the demographic that should be on DIsney's radar, along with my own. My DH is just a few months from retiring with a full pension, we have no kids at home, our house is paid, and I recently went back to work. We have one granddaughter who hung our moon, and most of our adult children love Disney. We have the discretionary funds that we did not have when our children were growing up, and DH likes to spend those funds on our family. I booked a BB for December, and my DSIL and my DGD dont want to go back, at least that is what they said now. I guess they did what they wanted to do in July. We will do a family vacation, but I am not sure it will be WDW. IF my DD would cruise, we would plan the family vacation on a cruise and let my DS and DDIL do all our planning.

Agreed, and I see a few things about Grandparents but there need to be more frequent attraction updates to go with all the upcharges.

During my visit this December I was surprised how small the crowds were. Visited almost ever other season until Christmas this year. Not complaining as I was the beneficiary of the shorter wait times.

Yes, reduced crowds during a know "slow" period is nice. Diminishing crowds during notoriously busy times frames are a harbinger of what is to come, and that is never good.

Keep in mind some of the things WDW has done.

You say slow seasons should be slower? Why?

And slower during busy times could very well be why they blacked out XMAS week.

If they really wanted XMAS week packed to the gills as usual, why not just not black it out?

IMO the reason was offering a black out ticket at a discount, puts the decision in the consumers hands.

Also packed isn't always the greatest experience for the guest.

If you really want to visit that week, you pay more.

If you just want to avoid that week, (and it's still very busy) you pay less.

Those of us actually there last week experienced lower crowds than in the past. (Wonderful weather as well.)

Good or bad, that can be debated from both sides I would imagine.

Regardless it was great for us.

Maybe the discounted blackout pass helped?

100%, and the blackout ticket is working as planned IMO. It was a great week.

Seems like they are trying to balance/disperse crowds, partially through pricing and blackouts.

Many locals probably chose Gold, Silver or Weekday passes and have been waiting to get back since Dec 18-esp if they are off this week.

Overall though I believe they do want crowds dispersed over the entire year. Why do the pricing models if not.

All that said, I absolutely hope WDW is not sliding into a really bad financial and attendance period and ultimately closing soon.

That would surprise me as it's still incredible for us.

But if true, then I'm even happier we went, and are paying less.

There's a big difference in paying for WDW trips because it's awesome, and paying for WDW trips and up charge events that are hated.

My suspicion is WDW will benefit from Disney Springs, Avatar Land, T S Land and Star Wars Land, and the EPCOT rumors.

But will have to see about that.

Keep in mind some of the things WDW has done.

You say slow seasons should be slower? Why?

And slower during busy times could very well be why they blacked out XMAS week.

If they really wanted XMAS week packed to the gills as usual, why not just not black it out?

IMO the reason was offering a black out ticket at a discount, puts the decision in the consumers hands.

Also packed isn't always the greatest experience for the guest.

If you really want to visit that week, you pay more.

If you just want to avoid that week, (and it's still very busy) you pay less.
I did not say slow periods should be slower. I said a slow season is nice. WHat I am saying is that when seasons that are generally shoulder to shoulder are not, and guests leaving the resort just prior to Christmas find flyers on the dresser suggesting they can add additional days on to their stay for a discounted price, there is a bit of a problem on the Disney side.

Agreed, and I see a few things about Grandparents but there need to be more frequent attraction updates to go with all the upcharges.

I agree. You cannot keep taking money and refuse to put some back into the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter