Who ARE those people???

Deb in IA

Knows that KIDS are better
OK, here's a question that has always bugged me.

On the news, whenever they talk about the stock market, they always show a group of people standing on what looks like a balcony at the New York Stock Exchange. They all stand around smiling, then when the bell sounds, the person in the middle of that group bangs a gavel down. Then they all applaud.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE???? :confused: :confused:

good question!!!

anyone know???

the whole stock market videos confuse me...I dunno who anyone is :( :confused:

yes....there are always a few of those folks who are NYSE officials....but the 'crowds' ..who change daily..and maybe even different at the opening and closing bells...are invited...usually rep's/CEO's of listed companies who are either IPO'ing, or making annonucements.....sometimes...only one official will come out to close. Hope this helps! :)

Honestly, I was just thinking this last night!!! Maybe it was because it seemed they showed them standing there clapping for what seemed like FOREVER, but I was watching news last night and I thought to myself... "who IS that and why do they always show this?" Too funny!!!

A gavel is the hammer looking thingie that you see a judge bang to call to order.

Thank you! Are there any threads on here that discuss differences in our language. There are a couple of terms used often in American programmes that i think 'What????' and I am sure the same applies in reverse

Originally posted by babybelle
Thank you! Are there any threads on here that discuss differences in our language. There are a couple of terms used often in American programmes that i think 'What????' and I am sure the same applies in reverse
If you have any questions about our American lingo, you can always ask :)

When our stock was listed (the co. I work for) They invited the president & 2 guests up there to ring the bell. It varies every day! It could be big shots in finance, celebrities, etc.

Originally posted by Jeff in BigD

If you have any questions about our American lingo, you can always ask :)

I am unsure if some of it is fit for the boards lol but if I come across anything I will let you know.

One example was the last time we were in Florida, just at the end of the fires in 1998, we met some firefighters who had been given free passes to the various parks. They thought it was hilarious that the British slang for cigarettes is 'f@g' and that 'fanny' refers to an entirely different part of the anatomy.

The only two I can think of just now are 'preppy' and in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' the little girl says she was 'goosed':confused:

Preppy - kinda of snobbish, very stylish people. Go to private schools. Ok, some one help me out here. I guess Prince William could be classified as Preppy.:confused:

Don't remember that passage in TKAM. Goosed rubbed on the head?:confused:

See, babybelle, your not they only one that needs help interpreting language!!;)

Preppy - kinda of snobbish, very stylish people. Go to private schools. Ok, some one help me out here. I guess Prince William could be classified as Preppy.:confused:

Don't remember that passage in TKAM. Goosed rubbed on the head?:confused:

See, babybelle, your not they only one that needs help interpreting language!!;)

By the way, what is "fanny"?

Sent you a pm with that requested definition, iluvorlando.

Babybelle, I found an American/British dictionary for you, perhaps that will help you out. You will find it <b>HERE</b>

Preppy -- Comes from folks who attend "prep school". Generally, wealthy, spend time at country clubs, etc. It's also a type of style. Lots of pink and green, polo shirts with the collars turned up, sweaters tied around the shoulder, etc.

Isn't goosed pinched on the (uhm) backside? Like being nipped by a goose?

Im sure it was 'goosed'; Scout held a grudge against the other little guy (not her brother) cos he had done this to her, need to dig out my copy and check :confused:

Originally posted by nativetxn
Sent you a pm with that requested definition, iluvorlando.

Babybelle, I found an American/British dictionary for you, perhaps that will help you out. You will find it <b>HERE</b>

Cheers, have added to me favourites lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter