• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who else goes back and forth with emotions on COVID?

What’s “risky”? Shopping? Golfing? Walking in a park? Daring to go maskless inside their own home (some idiot “expert” in Texas is advocating this)?
I like you. Common sense. Normal. And being a Razorback family doesn’t hurt either! 🤣🤣. WPS!

We feel the same way! Just to give you a positive virus story - my 76 year old father and 73 year old mother both got the virus 2 weeks ago. My dad was sick for about a week, my mother a few days. Both recovered wonderfully! Neither required medical attention. All they have left is just some fatigue, but they are growing stronger every day. I know some people have underlying conditions that make the virus more dangerous for them, but my 70+ year old parents are a testament that getting the virus isn’t life threatening for everyone!

I wish your parents health, but there's no evidence at all they are recovered if it's only been 14 days. Most hospitalizations occur at the 3-4 week mark when the virus comes back.

I take precautions but I am also firmly falling into the camp of everyone needs to be sent back to work. If you aren’t comfortable then don’t go but don’t expect to keep getting paid.

If the new standard is you only need to go to work when you are comfortable then nobody is going to be at work anymore.
You also have to realize that this is unprecedented. There is no right or wrong way to feel. And we cannot simply say go back to work. None of us are walking in anyone else’s shoes.

I am actually h
For me I was just starting to get comfortable and think maybe I could do a few things and then things started getting crazy. Now I am back to feeling like I can't go anywhere or do anything. I am resigned to staying home until the fall.

‘I am actually thinking (here in Massachusetts) I better do some stuff now because I think fall and winter are when I’m going to be stuck home again. Praying I am wrong.

I feel like I’m the only one who goes back and forth between being terrified and resigned about COVID-19. One minute I’m “taking the proper precautions it’s ok to have limited contact with others and send the kids to school.” The next I’m like “keep the kids in the house or we are all going to die.” I try and read only scientific and unbiased information, but that seems harder and harder to come by. I’ve been snoozing people on social media who clearly have an agenda one way or the other, but it only helps so much. Who else feels like this?
Sounds normal to me.

Yes and no. I long for a sense of normalcy, so sometimes get overwhelmed by the idea that this is life now. That I can’t see an end in sight and as a planner/type A, I struggle with that.

But I’ve started viewing it as stages of grief and I’ve finally landed in acceptance. I don’t like it, but I can also accept that this is what is happening. Except for creating a bubble, nothing has changed for us since March. We still haven’t set foot in a store or gone to a restaurant. Some days I really miss doing that, but for the most part I realize I miss things a lot less than I thought I would. The hardest part for me is missing some of my friends and the lack of travel. The travel one is really hard both because it’s what fills my bucket, but also because I know how risky it is and that it’ll be one of the last things I’m really comfortable doing. My current struggle is what to do about school for my kids, so I am completely stressed out about that.

But I do firmly believe the Coronacoaster is a reel things and that emotions will fluctuate all the time. Hang in there❤

I wish your parents health, but there's no evidence at all they are recovered if it's only been 14 days. Most hospitalizations occur at the 3-4 week mark when the virus comes back.
Where are the statistics on that? I can’t find it and would really like to have it to show some people.

Context: I'm a New Yorker.

Life is not going back to normal anywhere until we get a lot stricter about locking down. NYC had zero deaths yesterday for the first time since March. Because we locked it down.
Yeah New Yorkers have a different perspective and risk assessment for sure! But it NEVER made sense to 100% lockdown the entire country all at the same time nor for as long. It should have been as spots pop up- people would be more compliant NOW vs just fatigued with the whole thing. I realize we didn’t know what we didn’t know but we had a global monkey see/monkey do reaction. And then zero re-evaluation to adjust as needed here. So states were left to figure it out on their own and welcome to the mess! The news constantly crying “spike” when yes cases doubled —> from 2 to 4! It climbed 200%! Hospitals at near capacity! (Leaving out fact hospitals nearly always are near capacity context!). Please note I’m not making light of rising cases but the constant news bombardment of absolute DOOM when most haven’t experienced anything like that leads many - even normally rationale thinkers- to disregard everything now. And hence the constant flux of emotions and burnout.

:rolleyes1Or maybe they are recovering from mild symptoms and regaining strength each day. Statistically speaking, that's exactly what's happening and it's by far the most likely outcome. In Canada only 21% of Covid patients aged 70-79 required any kind of medical intervention. Definitely more than younger people but the odds are still very, very much on their side.

Best wishes @cvjw :flower3:

Where are the statistics on that? I can’t find it and would really like to have it to show some people.
May I ask respectfully, what point you'd be trying to make? If you're advocating that Covid is not being taken seriously enough, please don't forget to calculate in the number of hospitalizations vs. the total number of cases. In all demograpics, the reality is that most people recover. Anecdotes like the one about the PP's parents immediately get brushed aside and I wonder why? Is it because people are worried the overwhelming number of reports of that nature will cause people to let their guards down? I really just don't get it. :confused:

You also have to realize that this is unprecedented. There is no right or wrong way to feel. And we cannot simply say go back to work. None of us are walking in anyone else’s shoes.

Did you ask your mailman if he wants to go to work? Did you ask the cashier at the grocery store if they want to work? They are literally paying to work right now since they would make more on unemployment. Did you ask the pilots flying between hot spots right now if they are comfortable? Your utility workers?

No, nobody did because screw their kids, their spouses and their parents. But everyone else should just be able to stay at home until they’re “comfortable”...

The “I am being forced to go to work” is such a lie. No one is being forced. You can always quit, just like everyone else.

‘I am actually thinking (here in Massachusetts) I better do some stuff now because I think fall and winter are when I’m going to be stuck home again. Praying I am wrong.
I am hoping things get better again (say by October) before they get real bad this winter. I just want to go to the coast for an afternoon and feel comfortable.

I feel like I’m the only one who goes back and forth between being terrified and resigned about COVID-19. One minute I’m “taking the proper precautions it’s ok to have limited contact with others and send the kids to school.” The next I’m like “keep the kids in the house or we are all going to die.” I try and read only scientific and unbiased information, but that seems harder and harder to come by. I’ve been snoozing people on social media who clearly have an agenda one way or the other, but it only helps so much. Who else feels like this?

I really struggled with that early on, especially in mid-March when cases were spiking in my hometown and we were dealing with a whole load of uncertainty about my daughter's service-learning trip over spring break and then having to get her home from campus, 2500 miles away, on a couple days' notice. But while I've kept up with the science, my anxiety level about it is a lot more manageable now than it was back then. Getting outdoors helps. Traveling (safely) helps. Spending less time online helps.

What I struggle with now is anger. Actually, anger isn't nearly a strong enough word. Rage. Fury. I read analysts saying Americans aren't likely to be welcome overseas for at least 5 years and see my college-aged daughters hopes of studying abroad (kind of a big part of her trajectory, as a double major in marine biology - which at her university usually includes an opportunity to study in the Galapagos - and Japanese!) and her dream of a gap year teaching English in/near the part of Japan where she lived as on her summer exchange program in high school vanishing before our eyes. I watch the debate about reopening schools and see my middle schooler struggling with classic signs of anxiety and depression and just don't have the heart to tell her that even if she does go back to school in the fall, she won't be able to interact with her friends or have the support systems that usually supplement what I can do as her (obviously uncool and out-of-touch) mother. And I listen to my mom, who is dealing with a number of very concerning symptoms that have nothing to do with the virus, complaining but refusing to go to the doctor because she's so worried she's going to catch it that she's going to sit home and die of other, untreated issues. And then I look at the entire rest of the world and am reminded, day after day, that this is all absolutely avoidable, that it is a lack of leadership and an overabundance of stupid and selfish people, not the virus, causing this level of struggle. And I'm just mad about it all.

I know that I sound crazy but I actually worry that my friends will be rude to us since she is doing what they consider risky. My younger daughter came home almost 2 weeks ago from a plane trip to Minnesota to see her best friend from college. I was raked across the coals for allowing her to do this completely unnecessary risky adventure.

I think that has been one of the hardest parts. We are in a position now where we cannot share anything that makes us happy at all, unless it takes place 100% at home and only with those who live with us, without people we care about, those we think of as friends and often even our own extended families, second guessing what unnecessary risks were involved in our activities and attempting to shame us for them. My girls and I rented a house for a couple of weeks in April and I didn't tell anyone about the trip, didn't share pictures of our hikes or the adorable family of otters we watched off the deck of our rental, didn't say a thing about any of it because just a few days before we left I posted pictures of us hiking, alone, at a state park near our home and got an absolute flood of negativity over the fact that we left the house and left our neighborhood for something we could have lived without. I'm sorry, but only doing those things that we would actually die if we skipped isn't living. But I know better now than to think I can share a picture of enjoying a (take out) ice cream in the park or of my daughter and her BFF swinging in the backyard, never mind of a beautiful hike or a camping adventure. And that's really, really sad.

I keep going back and forth with my emotions as well. I hate that there’s no end in sight and no knowing of when a return to pre-Covid is going to be. I am struggling with the school decision right now. We have a choice of online or in person. This year sucks.

I was just starting to venture out at 6am to the store and do carry out when our numbers got low. It felt good to do something normal.

We are climbing and positivity rate is over 10% .

I do not find the trend comforting so I will probably give up my shopping trips until the numbers drop again.

I am okay when I can get outside but if this continues it is going to be a long ugly winter.

Sometimes I just want to go do something then I second guess it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter