Who lets their kids sing loudly on an airplane

Right! My kids are only allowed to hide them outside. Mostly it's done at parks.

That sounds like a perfectly fine kid thing to me. It's the cheese counter and the bread and rolls baskets that make no sense. Oh, and cast member thank yous, that doesn't sound at all rewarding either. I hang my head and apologize if that's some Michigander whackadoodles running amuck.

Right! My kids are only allowed to hide them outside. Mostly it's done at parks.
Yes we've seen them at parks. We just leave them for people who are into that. I will say that about a week after my dad died I saw one in the bushes at my school that was painted with the Superman "S". I kept that one. My dad was an avid Superman comic/memorabilia collector and I took as a little sign for him. I might be crazy... But I don't care.

Yes we've seen them at parks. We just leave them for people who are into that. I will say that about a week after my dad died I saw one in the bushes at my school that was painted with the Superman "S". I kept that one. My dad was an avid Superman comic/memorabilia collector and I took as a little sign for him. I might be crazy... But I don't care.

If that's crazy at least it's not harming or annoying anyone or their business.

It's HUGE here in lower Michigan. There are lots of FB groups that track the journey of these rocks. I don't get it, but my kids love finding and re-hiding them.

Really? I have never heard of it. I'm near Grand Rapids MI, perhaps that is not low enough.

Really? I have never heard of it. I'm near Grand Rapids MI, perhaps that is not low enough.

Saw a couple last fall in Frankenmuth. I had heard the story about the painted rocks, so knew what they were. They brought a smile to my face, but I left them so kids could find and take them.

I was on a flight once with an inconsiderate oaf behind me. He got up several times en route to our destination and EVERY time he did, he grabbed the headrest in front of him (my head rest) with his meat hooks to heft himself up from his seat. And in doing so he pulled my hair every time.

I was on a flight once with an inconsiderate oaf behind me. He got up several times en route to our destination and EVERY time he did, he grabbed the headrest in front of him (my head rest) with his meat hooks to heft himself up from his seat. And in doing so he pulled my hair every time.
What a loser, thumbs down to him!

We went to an event at Van Andel Arena in February and I saw a couple just on the walk to and from the parking garage. It probably just depends on where you go and how well they're "hidden."

What? You've never read here about people who paint rocks and bring them to Disney to hand out to deserving cast members as a thank you gesture?

LOL- I bet the cast members wish they were NOT so deserving if they are getting handed a painted rock! I can almost understand hiding them outside for someone that wants to find them- but to give them as a "gift" is just to bizarre to even think about.

We are downriver (just north of Monroe) and find them ALL over the place. In fact, we took a road trip for spring break and found rocks in multiple states (Tennessee, Ohio, and Indiana).

I read this thread yesterday morning and didn't have anything to add, then I went to a meeting yesterday afternoon and me the kind of parent who would let her child sing loudly on a plane.

For our meeting, this parent didn't have child care, so she brought her 3 year old with her to the meeting. There were about 12 of us seated around a conference table and her toddler was sitting on her lap. She gave him her phone and let him watch a show a full volume while we were trying to have the meeting. The woman leading the meeting was so flustered from the full volume TV show going on right in front of her that she finally just wrapped things up early. It was such an awkward situation because no one really felt like it was their place to ask the child to turn down the show when he was sitting on his mother's lap watching it. I don't know how his mother could focus on anything the leader was saying because I sure couldn't.

Getting married this weekend...and it's been fast. Thanks!
Congratulations

If memory serves your relationship HAS moved very quickly indeed! I think it was around new years when you were asking about new dates--wow. That is a lot of change very quickly for those little ones; don't be surprised if they struggle with it down the road---it's one thing to have some meals with Daddy's new friend, but quite another to have a new mother living with you and parenting you all the time. Just please go in aware that often kids that young do not understand all the emotions that they are feeling in situations like a new step parent coming in, and that if you and they are to have a good relationship compassion and help understanding their feelings is going to be far more important than just strict adherance to rules.
I am sorry to sound preachy---I don't really mean to be that way, but you've made it very clear you have quite limited experience with, and patience for young children. And often people without that experience or natural caring for kids mistake a child struggling to understand and failing for a child misbahving---I would hate to see that happen if simply throwing a comment on a message board might head it off.

Last edited:
Congratulations

If memory serves your relationship HAS moved very quickly indeed! I think it was around new years when you were asking about new dates--wow. That is a lot of change very quickly for those little ones; don't be surprised if they struggle with it down the road---it's one thing to have some meals with Daddy's new friend, but quite another to have a new mother living with you and parenting you all the time. Just please go in aware that often kids that young do not understand all the emotions that they are feeling in situations like a new step parent coming in, and that if you and they ate to have a good relationship compassion and help understanding their feelings is going to be far more important than just strict adherance to rules.
I am sorry to sound preachy---I don't really mean to be that way, but you've made it very clear you have quite limited experience with and patience for young children. An often people without that experience or natural caring for kids mistake a child struggling to understand and failing for a child misbahving---I would hate to see that happen if simply throwing a comment on a message board might head it off.
I'll take all the reminders to be a good step-parent i can take!

LOL- I bet the cast members wish they were NOT so deserving if they are getting handed a painted rock! I can almost understand hiding them outside for someone that wants to find them- but to give them as a "gift" is just to bizarre to even think about.

I can't understand how it's a gift from the cast member's perspective? Where is the person who's directing you which spot to stand to get on BTMRR supposed to keep their gratuity? Sounds like a real treat for a job that keeps you on your feet the whole time, often in high temps and humidity.

I can't understand how it's a gift from the cast member's perspective? Where is the person who's directing you which spot to stand to get on BTMRR supposed to keep their gratuity? Sounds like a real treat for a job that keeps you on your feet the whole time, often in high temps and humidity.

I was thinking that too. Gee. Thanks for my rock.

I'm trying to understand a two year old LOVING restaurants and comprehending if they don't behave they don't get to go to a restaurant the next night.
:confused3 You and I both know it’s an illusion, but our odds of successfully disabusing it don’t make the effort worthwhile, KWIM? ;)
Perhaps you didn't expose your two year old to the right restaurants? Farm to table, locally sustainable style menus are very inspirational and get them off to a quick start.
:rotfl2:Sorry I’m so late in catching up with this thread - you would have won the DIS on Tuesday for this! :thumbsup2

I keep picturing Charlie Brown getting a rock at Halloween instead of candy

His enthusiasm is a clue.

I had no idea people did that. I remember seeing something one time about having cards to hand out and I swear the discussion was taping a piece of gum or a dime on the card. I thought that was weird and pointless enough. I bet cast members would be happier if more people cooperated, followed rules and were, if not pleasant, then at least even tempered. One of my daughters is working part-time at a market while in college and her stories are incredible. I can only imagine scaling them up for the hordes at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter