Who lets their kids sing loudly on an airplane

Obviously I can't speak for Australia, but here, we have this nifty thing called email, that we can use to discuss anything we want at anytime with a child's teacher and the best part, no worries about childcare!

I think we still use fax over here.

No, I can separate the 2 issues out.

I can point out that not everyone has a babysitter available without being in favor of kids tear a classroom apart. There's a happy medium in there. School welcomes kids. Parents are responsible and bring things for their kids to do and leave if the kids get out of control.
Every parent should have back up childcare. What if both parents had to be hospitalized?

I can point out that not everyone has a babysitter available without being in favor of kids tear a classroom apart. There's a happy medium in there. School welcomes kids. Parents are responsible and bring things for their kids to do and leave if the kids get out of control.

What's wrong with working out an arrangement with other parents in the same boat as was suggested above? If that's impossible or unacceptable, what about encouraging the school to host a child activity time in the gym where kids can be dropped off while mom and dad are in the conference? It can be manned by HS and possibly MS kids looking to fulfill service hours with some volunteer adults to oversee everything.

Sure it is. Out of the three parent/teacher interviews we have here, two are student led. That means, the student must be present to lead the discussion.

Regional.
(And there might get be 4 parent/teacher interviews now, I can’t keep track of the changes).
Then that's a completely different thing than is being discussed. A parent/teacher conference is just that, a conference between a parent and a teacher.

I often brought my younger child who wasn't in school yet to the parent/teacher conferences. He sat quietly or played with a toy from home. Our schools encouraged the child (of whom the meeting was about) to be in attendance. Appointments were also timed at 10 minutes max. No grandparents or relatives to watch the kids and I didn't know anyone to babysit. Managed to get through my kids childhoods with very few babysitters. We were discouraged from emailing the teachers until my daughter went to a private school. Most public school teachers in our schools would not even give out their emails to parents.

It is not a recreational activity for families; not literacy night; not a school fair; not multicultural night. Children are not invited. They are to remain home with a sitter or family member.

Yeah, that's simply not accurate in our school district. They sent out a mass email inviting the whole family to attend. The night of the conferences was "family night!" and they had someone dressed as Clifford wandering around the library. Almost every family there had younger siblings in attendance.

So maybe it really is regional.

I often brought my younger child who wasn't in school yet to the parent/teacher conferences. He sat quietly or played with a toy from home. Our schools encouraged the child (of whom the meeting was about) to be in attendance. Appointments were also timed at 10 minutes max. No grandparents or relatives to watch the kids and I didn't know anyone to babysit. Managed to get through my kids childhoods with very few babysitters. We were discouraged from emailing the teachers until my daughter went to a private school. Most public school teachers in our schools would not even give out their emails to parents.
Every teacher is our district has a school email, and I’ve never waited more than 24 hours to get a response.

Yes, there is, which is why I don't understand pointing out that not everyone has childcare when the problem is disruptive kids. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Every teacher is our district has a school email, and I’ve never waited more than 24 hours to get a response.
Same here and teachers prefer email because they can get back to you easier. Sometimes they email back and other times they call. If you call on the phone you can play phone tag for days.

Parents were discouraged from using the teacher's school email at my kids school. I would have much rather have corresponded by email. The best thing ever was when my daughter went into a private school and we could correspond via email. We could even get online and see her test results etc.

I read this thread yesterday morning and didn't have anything to add, then I went to a meeting yesterday afternoon and me the kind of parent who would let her child sing loudly on a plane.

For our meeting, this parent didn't have child care, so she brought her 3 year old with her to the meeting. There were about 12 of us seated around a conference table and her toddler was sitting on her lap. She gave him her phone and let him watch a show a full volume while we were trying to have the meeting. The woman leading the meeting was so flustered from the full volume TV show going on right in front of her that she finally just wrapped things up early. It was such an awkward situation because no one really felt like it was their place to ask the child to turn down the show when he was sitting on his mother's lap watching it. I don't know how his mother could focus on anything the leader was saying because I sure couldn't.

I would have told the woman that she could not attend the meeting with her child in tow. In most workplaces, bringing a child is not acceptable.

Most public school teachers in our schools would not even give out their emails to parents.

Again, "maybe it's regional," but that is not at all the case in my experience as both a parent (in two different states) and as a teacher (in two different school districts). Every teacher has been / is completely accessible by email and phone, although they obviously can't respond or answer while teaching. Both districts I've worked in have policies in place as to the timing of responding to parent emails. You wouldn't believe the number of parent emails my classroom and subject area teaching colleagues get each day. It's unreal.

What would you suggest parents do with their other children in this case? What about sole parents? Parents who have partners deployed? Areas without childcare facilities?

If a parent can't for childcare and has to bring children to a parent teacher conference, he or she should make it clear to the kids that they are to stay in their seats and play quietly. If they can't behave, apologize to the teacher and ask for a call to discuss the student at the teacher's convenience.

Whether we're talking about a child singing loudly on a plane, kids misbehaving at a parent teacher conference or any number of topics on the DIS (battering ram strollers or ECVs, loud people in restaurants or hotels, non-service dogs, etc.), the common denominator is the need for people to be respectful and considerate of others. If people were mindful of that, we would have far fewer problems in this world.

I was on a flight to Denver last month that had significant turbulence for the last 45+ minutes of the flight. The mom across the row from me was yelling to her kids the whole time. I’m sorry, turbulence sucks, and it sucks not to be sitting next to your kids when it hits, but what kind of an adult yells like that on a plane? It really freaked my daughter out because it sounded like she was convinced we were crashing and she was saying her last goodbyes (don’t ever forget mom loves you, think about your family, etc) It made an unpleasant flight so much worse.

About ten years ago on a fight home from disney, we had major turbulence. A little girl about a few rows back kept saying "no hands, no hands" She was having a grand old time, while I was ready to say goodbye to DH. After about 10 mins , she says to her mom, "is this a ride"? Half the plane starting laughing.

Obviously I can't speak for Australia, but here, we have this nifty thing called email, that we can use to discuss anything we want at anytime with a child's teacher and the best part, no worries about childcare!
I use email too plus phone calls and even texting. There’s also classroom Dojo. All of that is good, but the district requires these twice a year meetings when we share the students’ progress via student portfolios filled with actual student work. There are things that should be done live and in person. I did it for my daughter abiding by her schools’ policies, and I don’t see why every other parent can’t do the same.

Open school night and parent teacher conferences were for parents and teachers- not kids. Notice was sent home stating that yet you always had the few parents who brought their kids and were turned away. The really weird thing was it was usually a husband, wife and kid-so there was no reason to even bring the child when one of the parents could have stayed home with them and the other parent went to the conference. For conferences I usually swapped off kids with another single parent in the class so we each could go and leave our kids with each other. For the nighttime open school night I would either get a babysitter or she would stay with one of her friends whose husband was staying home with their own kids so the wife could go to open school night.
As far as emailing the teachers- every single teacher here has a school email and uses that to communicate with parents. Every teachers email is their first initial and last name so they don't even have to give it out, everyone just knows them.

Whether we're talking about a child singing loudly on a plane, kids misbehaving at a parent teacher conference or any number of topics on the DIS (battering ram strollers or ECVs, loud people in restaurants or hotels, non-service dogs, etc.), the common denominator is the need for people to be respectful and considerate of others. If people were mindful of that, we would have far fewer problems in this world.
Exactly.

Sure it is. Out of the three parent/teacher interviews we have here, two are student led. That means, the student must be present to lead the discussion.

Regional.
(And there might get be 4 parent/teacher interviews now, I can’t keep track of the changes).

Student-led? LOL. Around here if a kid is asked to attend a parent-teacher conference, there is big trouble ahead, because it normally only happens when there is an unpleasant disciplinary issue on the table, and the parents and teacher are guarding against being played off against one another by a student who is feeding one or the other of them misinformation. (You know, S: "Mrs. X is unfair. I was just minding my own business & doing my work when she screamed at me and called the Vice Principal's office." T: "I caught S carving obscenities into the tabletop with an x-acto knife when he was supposed to be working on his art collage.")

Our district elementary schools have playtime in the gym during P/T conferences (which are scheduled at 10 minutes each); they recruit middle-school students to watch over the little ones while they play, with a couple of adult volunteers lurking in case of accident.

How on earth did we go from singing on a plane to parent-teacher conferences in one thread?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter