Winging it with No Dinning Plan! A Feb. Trip Report

I love this!! She's like a tiny little grown up making clues for her little sister!
This pretty much sums up Morgan. She has always kind of been a tiny adult.

Still tons of people here without power :mad: How did your friends do?
They live in that Toll Brothers development, I think there power was all in the ground, so they were fine.

Following along.
:welcome: I am glad you are here! I love sharing our trips with everyone!

Who am I kidding? I love the planing!
Me too! I really do. It helped that the trips were so close together, and there was Thanksgiving and Christmas in between. I am already plotting our next trip, and we don't even have a date that we want to go yet!

But it's good sister bonding.
It really was and Morgan felt so happy doing it.

Score! I'm glad we have a few more years before this is a worry.
Funny thing was we really weren't that worried about it. Morgan is old enough that even if she was on the aisle on one side and I was on the other, she would be fine. I think because we weren't too concerned things worked out. A hear and half ago we flew US Airways and didn't want to pay the extra charge for pre-assigned seats, and I was so stressed out it the night before. But that worked out as well. No one wants a kid sitting by themselves.

Following along! I lurked on your last TR and thought the girls were adorable, so thought I'd chime in on this one!
:welcome:I am glad you chimed in! I really love hearing from everyone! When I started reading on boards I felt weird commenting but have clearly gotten over that! I hope this trip is as interesting as the last one!

I've got my wine poured (literally, gotta make Sunday evening count) and I'm thrilled to read all about your trip. Hope Morgan perks up soon!
You are in good company. I have since finished my glass (or two) of wine for Sunday! ;)

Following along! :wave:
:welcome: Thanks for coming over! Hopefully I will get a few posts in before your trip!

I’m here too!! Hoping Morgan bounced back quickly. I’m eager to hear how the relaxed schedule worked for your family. I’m a major planner too but have promised my husband that our next trip will have a more relaxed pace than our last.
You snuck in while I was commenting on everyones! ;)

:welcome:

I do think it is easier to be a little more relaxed the more times we go. That, and the fact that we usually have both girls walk everywhere now, no more stroller for us. So sometimes, there pace forces us to slow down.

I am curious to how it worked out. Once when we were there for 2 weeks - part of the time we had no ADRs and it all worked out as we were able to eat where we wanted. It was so much more relaxed.
Following.

We almost named our younger daughter Gwen, but ended up putting it in the middle. I love that name!
:welcome: Thanks for following along! Can I ask what you ended up naming your youngest? I wanted Riley really badly but we decided to use that as the middle name.

I am curious to how it worked out. Once when we were there for 2 weeks - part of the time we had no ADRs and it all worked out as we were able to eat where we wanted. It was so much more relaxed.
Following.
:welcome: Thanks for following along as well! It def had it's ups and downs for us, but I will get to all of that eventually.

trying to survive 2nd grade. Not sure what it is about 2nd grade but it was a little rough around the edges for Morgan and has been the same for Gwen.
2nd grade is just a tough year!! It's about the time where they have to transition from learning how to read to reading TO learn. Jimmy had a pretty rough go of it last year, too, but he is loving 3rd grade this year.

Poor Morgan having to travel while feeling crummy :( I hope she was able to rest up and feel better!

Saving my spot! Looking forward to it. We also didn't do the dining plan this Feb trip since we were there for sports competitions. First time in forever. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on no dining plan. I ended up loving it!

Travel Day: Part Two

So, I left off with us finally arriving at Port Orleans French Quarter. I hadn't received a text with our room info, so we went to check in. There was only one other family checking in and they were literally finishing up when we got there, so we only waiting a minute or two. The CM was very friendly and helpful. We paid the balance of the room, as we booked a room only rate and he showed us where to find our room.

I had requested something close to transportation.... Well, we got the room practically the farthest from transportation! We were in Building 7, Room 7302. Building 7 was def the farthest building and the room was located on the opposite side. When the CM was showing me on the map, I was thinking to myself that, of course we were as far away as possible. I could have asked if there was anything closer but I didn't. And really for the most part it was fine. It def would have been nicer to be a little closer.

With all of that taken care of we headed to find our room. Which Morgan moaned the whole way there about how far it was.

We found the room fairly easily and checked it out quickly.

I checked out the bathroom and amenities that came in the bathroom. I liked the shower tiles, even if they were very subtly.

And was super excited to see that we got small bottles not the wall dispenser. But we did get bar soap instead of shower gel. I love that shower gel! And in general just don't like bar soap in showers, it gets all gross....

Originally I was hoping that we could maybe catch the boat down to Disney Springs to grab counter service dinner that night but with Morgan looking the way she did, Planning me would have possibly booked a table service meal at Disney Springs that evening, so it worked out well that we were "taking it easy" this trip. Andy and I had already decided that wasn't going to be a good idea. So, we decided to just grab something here at FQ. So, we headed back out. Morgan was NOT happy about this. I think she had gotten it in her head that once she got to the room she would be able to finally relax. But since we didn't know what to expect at the food court we made her come with us.

Plus I needed to lay out there Tinkerbell Gifts when they were not in the room! So, I made Andy leave with the girls and I said I forgot something and went back into the room.

PJ's on the first night/day has become a tradition for the girls. They end up wearing the new Pj's the whole trip and then can wear them at home as well. So, a win win.

Once I was done doing that I left the room to catch up. I of course took some pictures on the way. I really liked that they named the "streets" in the resort.

I caught up to Andy and the girls by the pool and Morgan was crying! Andy wanted to just take a peek at the pool and Morgan just wanted to lay down. But Andy had walked ahead and didn't realize Morgan was just standing there crying. Poor girl. Once I caught up, I directed everyone into the food court area to decide on a meal. And I promised Morgan we would head right back to the room once we had the food.

Gwen decided on kids Chicken Nuggets and Morgan on the kids pasta. Andy and I decided to get the Catfish Po'Boy and the Shrimp Po'Boy are share both. Since you order at the different stations, I went with the girls to order Gwen's Chicken Nuggets and then Morgan's pasta, which of course was 2 different stops. And Andy went and ordered the Po-Boys. In an effort to get Morgan back to the room faster, I went up and paid with the girls food and we started collecting the needed forks and stuff and to head back. But Andy finished up at the same time, so I ran over to bell hop to see if they could deliver our Garden Grocer order. Which they could! So, we headed back to the room. Morgan half cried / half moaned the whole way back to the room. I thought for sure we were in trouble.

Once back the girls quickly found Tinkerbell's Gift.

Gwen said she was surprised how fast Tinkerbell was! ;) She said that we were barely here and she already gave them a gift! Pretty sure they climbed into those pj's almost immediately and climbed into bed to watch some tv and eat dinner.

Andy and I sat at the table in the room and tried to eat our giant sandwiches!

This is the Fried Catfish Po'Boy with house-made chips.

And then this is the Fried Shrimp Po'Boy with Cajun Fries.

Both were good. They fried the fish & shrimp to order, so that was nice. It did seem to take awhile, but I am sure part of that was with Morgan being miserable. I personally found the roll they used to be a bit too big. It was hard to eat regular sized bites. I think I ended up half way through just eating the shrimp. I preferred the shrimp and Andy preferred the Catfish, so that all worked out. I munched on the chips and fries over the course of the evening. Both were good but neither were to die for.

While we were eating they delivered our Garden Groceries. I had ordered a bunch of breakfast type food and snacks since we were planning on going no dinning plan. I also ordered some beer and soda for the room as well, as we were planning more early mornings this trip and less late late nights. (this is our preferred way to tour the parks)

Once the girls ate we tried to get the girls to sleep. Morgan clearly needed the sleep. Our bags from Magical Express came almost exactly 3 hours after we landing at MCO (8:30-is). I was glad that we received all of our bags! We haven't had a problem yet. #fingerscrossed I immediately dug out the kids zicam for Morgan, because it made sense to pack it in the checked bags... :sad2: And told her to try and sleep.

Once the girls feel asleep, Andy and I unpacked as best we could and got ready for the next day! We went to bed shortly after that. I was SUPER worried about Morgan and how she would be feeling. And Andy and I agreed we would just have to see how Morgan was when she woke up. And that we would let both girls sleep as late as they needed.

So, How would Morgan feel in the morning? Would we be able to head to a park tomorrow?

Last edited:
Food Breakdown: Travel Day

So, in my last trip report I broke down the meals to see if we broke even on the dining plan. This time I tried to keep track of all of our reciepts to see if we "saved" money by not doing the dinning plan this time around.

So, I had called Disney a few weeks before the trip to see how much it would be to add the dining plan. I was getting cold feet on the issue. But it was so close to going, a lot of the restaurants that we would want to add weren't available. So, we stuck to the plan.

When I called they said to add the dinning plan, it would have cost us: $1,791.86 to add the plan. ($74.95 per adult and $52.50 per kid) We would have gotten (28 Table Service Credits, 28 Counter Service Credits, and 56 Snack Credits to use over the course of the trip.)

Dinner tonight would have been 4 Counter Service Credits and we basically ordered like we were on the dinning plan, except Andy and I skipped getting drinks as we knew we had drinks coming with the Garden Grocer order.

Day One: Travel Day Food Total: $37.56
Remaining Balance: $1,754.30

Look forward to reading more. We are going next month with our grown children. This will be our first time not on dining plan and not doing any EMH parks. We are keeping it simple and going with the flow. We do have a BOG lunch reservation. Curious how we will like a more laid back trip.

Poor Morgan! I really feel for her. It's no fun to be sick on vacation!! I hope she feels better in the morning.

Great update!! :thumbsup2

Sorry, took me a bit to follow along...for obvious reasons!
Morgan helped me pick out fast passes and she wanted to pick out shirts like she had seen on our last trip, you know the ones with a picture and everyones names on them... So, I helped her pick out shirts on etsy. So, the week up to the trip, Morgan had managed to keep it a secret but was itching to tell Gwen. So, the day before we left, Morgan made clues at school and gave them to Gwen in carline. So, she spilled the beans to Gwen in school without us the day before we left!

I have to admit, I was a little annoyed at first but it was good, since I was able to get the girls to get a little ahead on some of there homework. And it was special for Morgan to be the one to tell her. Andy thought it was hilarious that Morgan made clues. (As we have done this twice for the girls on previous trips)
I totally understand feeling annoyed but also understanding it was special for Morgan to tell Gwen. And it is cute that she made little clues!

Gwen was a nosey passanger and kept peaking at the people behind her. Thankfully, it was just Andy and a nice woman who seemed to think Gwen was cute.
She is pretty cute!

We didn't have too long to wait, really just long enough to take our annual Activate Magic bands pic.
I always want to get one of these photos, but I've just arrived alone, so it's harder!

I had requested something close to transportation.... Well, we got the room practically the farthest from transportation! We were in Building 7, Room 7302. Building 7 was def the farthest building and the room was located on the opposite side. When the CM was showing me on the map, I was thinking to myself that, of course we were as far away as possible. I could have asked if there was anything closer but I didn't. And really for the most part it was fine. It def would have been nicer to be a little closer.
Ugh, that's annoying! At least POFQ isn't toooo big, but still, close to transport is much better!

Man! Travel days are usually pretty chill, it with. Organ not feeling well this sounded a little rough. Poor kid, crying at Disney World, it’s the worst, unless it’s during the fireworks...

I do hope she’s better the next day.

Liking the tally! I always want to love the dining plan, but I feel like it just doesn’t work for us. I’m considering buying gift cards ahead of time and using that. Sorta like a pre-paid thing?? That’s the biggest appeal to me, not having to worry about budget while we’re there.

We named her Scarlett.
I love it! I love that her being late gave you time to change your mind.

Checking in
:welcome: YEAH! Welcome!

Following and looking forward to new insights to Little Girl Land:).
:welcome: Welcome! Oh I have some good Girl Stuff in store for you!

Joining in on your trip report!
:welcome: Thanks so much for following along!

2nd grade is just a tough year!! It's about the time where they have to transition from learning how to read to reading TO learn. Jimmy had a pretty rough go of it last year, too, but he is loving 3rd grade this year.
It is easier on me knowing that it will pass. With Morgan I was worried constantly what was going on. But at least I know it's a regularly scheduled phase.

Poor Morgan having to travel while feeling crummy :( I hope she was able to rest up and feel better!
I was glad that we had gotten her to bed and asleep by 8:30. I figured that was as good as it would get. And I was SUPER glad, we didn't have the super late arrival time like last time. I feel like that might have just made her worse.

Glad you remembered about your shoes before it was too late!
Seriously! I probably would have been able to go to Disney Springs and get new sneakers but I would have paid an arm and a leg for them!

We also didn't do the dining plan this Feb trip since we were there for sports competitions.
Your pictures on facebook looked like you guys had a great time! I am sure traveling with a sports team is so different!

I'm such a fan of how you end posts with questions. This one is a real cliffhanger....
Thanks. I can't take all the credit. I have been reading everyone's trip report for awhile now, so I think I have picked up on different things from everyone along the way.

I wanted to get through the travel day quickly, so I could break the suspense.

We are going next month with our grown children. This will be our first time not on dining plan and not doing any EMH parks. We are keeping it simple and going with the flow. We do have a BOG lunch reservation.
:welcome: Thanks for following along! I do like kind of shaping each trip just a little differently. No dinning plan. The trip before that we did a lot of night shows... Our very first trip was Princess central (the girls were 3 & 5)

Sorry, took me a bit to follow along...for obvious reasons!
Welcome Back! Can't wait to hear all about it. I need to jump over to your new trip report! I saw the email come through.

I do hope she’s better the next day.
Thanks!

Liking the tally! I always want to love the dining plan, but I feel like it just doesn’t work for us. I’m considering buying gift cards ahead of time and using that. Sorta like a pre-paid thing?? That’s the biggest appeal to me, not having to worry about budget while we’re there.
It does really let us not worry too much about the cost. But I do feel like some restaurants, I am not sure i would book without the Dinning Plan. The gift cards is a good idea. They always say to buy the gift cards when Target does 10% off everything, and get 10% off the card. Can you get table in wonderland as DVC members? That makes a difference too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter