WISH Away the Pounds--Healthy Recipe Thread (new title)

Made these last night and they were great.

Ultimate Onion Rings (from weight watchers)

Ingredients

1/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour

1 cup(s) buttermilk

1/2 tsp table salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/2 cup(s) dried plain breadcrumbs, plain variety

1/2 tsp seafood seasoning, Old Bay variety

2 large uncooked vidalia onion(s), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch rounds and separated

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray two large baking sheets with nonstick spray.

Put the flour in a large zip-close plastic bag. Whisk together the buttermilk, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Combine the bread crumbs and Old Bay seasoning in a large shallow bowl.

Add the onion rings, a few at a time, to the flour and shake to coat. Dip the rings, one at a time, in the buttermilk mixture, then coat with the bread crumbs, transferring the rings as they are coated to the prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden and crispy, about 20 minutes. Yields 8 onion rings per serving.

4 ww points plus per serving.

I didn't love the old bay seasoning and next time will make with italian seasoned crumbs instead.

This was also very good. And makes 4 servings, 6 points each. I used frozen corn and skipped the hot pepper sauce, and it was still tasty.

Summer Corn Chowder

Ingredients

1 medium uncooked Yukon gold potato(es)

1 spray(s) cooking spray

1/2 cup(s) uncooked celery, chopped

1/4 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), chopped (or 1 large shallot)

4 piece(s) corn on the cob, kernels removed with a knife

1 cup(s) sweet red pepper(s), diced

4 oz uncooked Canadian-style bacon, diced

2 cup(s) fat-free skim milk

1/2 tsp table salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste

Instructions
Pierce potato in several places with a fork; microwave on high power until tender, turning over once, about 8 minutes. Allow to cool; peel and mash.

Meanwhile, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add celery, onion, corn and red pepper; sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.

Stir bacon and milk into saucepan; stir in mashed potato and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; stir to combine. Cover and simmer 10 minutes (do not allow to boil). Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.

Notes
Feel free to substitute your favorite fresh vegetables like asparagus and broccoli for the red pepper. Or to save time, substitute 2 cups of frozen corn and 1 cup of frozen, diced bell pepper for the fresh corn and red pepper.

Ingredients

1 cup(s) buttermilk

1/2 tsp table salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

2 large uncooked vidalia onion(s), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch rounds and separated

Instructions

Put the flour in a large zip-close plastic bag. Whisk together the buttermilk, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Combine the bread crumbs and Old Bay seasoning in a large shallow bowl.

Add the onion rings, a few at a time, to the flour and shake to coat. Dip the rings, one at a time, in the buttermilk mixture, then coat with the bread crumbs, transferring the rings as they are coated to the prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden and crispy, about 20 minutes. Yields 8 onion rings per serving.

I didn't love the old bay seasoning and next time will make with italian seasoned crumbs instead.

I might splurge on these next week during school vacation!............P

Easy Mexican Soup

1 can chicken broth
1 can chicken or 1 cup cooked chicken ( I don't care for the canned chicken)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can fat free refried beans
1 can corn
1 can black beans
1 jar salsa

Mix all together and simmer til hot. Quick, easy and tasty.

Thanks Rose for keeping this thread up. I'm sorry I haven't been over here before. There's lots of good looking recipes I'd like to try out. With fall here, I do tend to cook a little more.

Scanning this thread for some meal ideas for the weekend. I think I might try this without the chicken and throw in some quinoa for extra protein. I'll let you all know how it turns out!..................P

Scanning this thread for some meal ideas for the weekend. I think I might try this without the chicken and throw in some quinoa for extra protein. I'll let you all know how it turns out!..................P

I did make this soup last week. I make it without the chicken and didn't even bother with the quinoa. It was very tasty! My can of tomatoes was fire-roasted and my can of corn was creamed corn, but it worked out just fine. I even threw in a heaping cup of sauteed veggies that I had prepped extra for another meal (celery, onions, peppers). It was a VERY FILLING soup (probably because of all of the beans) and the refried beans made the soup rather creamy! The recipe has made it into my "keeper" file!:thumbsup2 ...................P

Roasted Eggplant Spread

Makes 4 sandwich servings

Ingredients:

2 fresh eggplants, diced (peeled or unpeeled your choice... I bought organic unwaxed and left the peel on for extra color and texture)

4 sundried tomato halves, packed in EVOO

extra bit of the EVOO from the tomato jar.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the diced eggplant on a jelly roll pan and toss with a bit of the EVOO from the tomato jar.

Roast the eggplant for about 15-20 minutes, stirring about halfway through. You want the eggplant to have browned up, but not burned or blackened.

Throw the eggplant into a food processor bowl along with the sundried tomato halves and pulse until you have a spread consistency. You may want to blot the tomatoes if they are particularly soaked.... or add a bit MORE oil if the spread seems dry. You may have to do this in batches if your food processor is small, like mine.

Remove from food process to air-tight container and add salt and pepper to taste.

Use this as a sandwich spread for a lovely vegetarian sandwich with some cheese (melted mozzarella would be delightful), or as a dip for crackers. It is low carb, low fat, low salt, low cal, and delicious!! Obviously you can change the calorie count by adding or subtracting from the amount of oil. I was only going to use 4 blotted tomato halves, but found that the consistency wasn't smooth enough, so I ended up adding about 1-2 tsp. of the oil from the tomato jar.

If you buy eggplant that is waxed, you really should either peel it or remove the wax with a thorough washing in warm water.

This tastes a bit like an eggplant parmesean spread! It was most appealing when it was warm.... and it seemed to be even tastier the next day, so I would suggest making this at least a day ahead and then rewarming before serving.

This is an ORIGINAL recipe that I created and have only tried a few times, so be patient and kind please! .........................P

CHANGE-IT-UP Breakfast Bowl

SERVES ONE

Ingredients:

Cooked potato, diced - 3 oz.

Fresh baby spinach - 1/2 C, coarsely chopped or torn

Half a diced onion

Any other leftover cooked vegetables

Bit of Mrs. Dash style seasoning

Protein: 3 egg whites or one whole egg or 3 oz of light firm tofu.

Optional: black/kidney beans, shredded cheese, diced cooked veggie burger

Instructions:

Into a hot nonstick (possibly sprayed with non-stick spray or lightly oiled... your choice) skillet dump the potatoes and onion. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, until potatoes are starting to get browned.

Throw in other diced leftover cooked veggies (carrots, celery, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, green beans, sweet potatoes, corn, beets... drained and patted dry if they are very wet) and heat through. Toss the spinach over the top during the last minute or two of cooking, just to wilt it. Push veggies to the edges of the pan and into the middle place your protein, stirring and cooking until done. Scramble the protein with the veggies and serve! You could also add any/all of the optional items at the end of the cooking.

This is a wonderful way to use up leftovers and get your day off to a good start with plenty of veggies!

It is called a "change-it-up" breakfast bowl because it is so easy to customize. If you aren't eating carbs you could eliminate the potatoes (although it was so tasty!). If you don't eat animal protein you could go with tofu and/or the beans and/or the cheese and/or the veggie burger!

If you aren't concerned about eating egg yolks you could DEFINITELY use whole eggs instead of whites.

This makes just one serving, but it would be easy to add an additional 3 oz of potatoes and another serving of protein to serve 2 folks!

I was inspired to make this after seeing an advertisement for a Jimmy Dean frozen breakfast bowl. I would honestly NEVER buy something like that, but it looked appealing, so I decided to make my own! I'm sure the one that was advertised contained JD sausage, but I cannot condone eating sausage or bacon, so I won't even MENTION it.....

ENJOY! I'll post a photo go to with this recipe later today!..............P

Here it is with potatoes, onions, spinach, mushrooms, and tofu.
ry%3D400

And here it is with white AND sweet potatoes, onions, red bell pepper, spinach, mushrooms, and tofu!

ry%3D400

Don'tcha LOVE my colorful Fiestaware!

Last edited:

Made my breakfast bowl up for DH over the weekend with onions, spinach, bacon ( :crazy2: ) , and eggs. Made it for myself today with tofu AND egg whites, spinach, and sundried tomatoes. Feeling too lazy to cut up onions. It was still yummy!.........P

Feeling much better today! Got my workout in and getting ready for work. :cool1:

As for QOTD, I generally try to follow my carbs more than fats. However I do try to limit my animal fats, but still prefer real butter to a chemical mixture that looks like butter, I just use a smaller more appropriate portion size. Also I never eat a 2TBS serving of peanut butter, but will have 2tsp instead. I use EVOO instead of a PAM type spray, etc... I also never get "fat free" anything, mainly because the carb count goes way up when they try to get the same "mouth feel" that fats do. I have "light" mayo or yogurt instead. Besides, fat free stuff always taste metallic to me.

Well off to work, hope you all have a great night!! :banana:

(low carb, low/no sugar.... originally a Dr. Oz recipe)

In a 2 C microwave safe glass container melt 1 Tb. coconut oil. Add 1 tsp. baking powder, 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 C milled flaxseed, 1 egg, and 1 dropperful of stevia (or two packets of Splenda). Mix to combine and microwave for approximately 1 minute (our microwave takes 90 seconds). Turn out onto plate and enjoy warm with butter, almond butter, or low sugar jam. Honestly, most of the time we just eat them plain.

These muffins are very caloric, but VERY low carb. If you aren't used to the "nutty" taste of flaxseed it might take some getting used to (as they don't taste like white flour muffins). But they are really delicious. I've made them for DH before with shredded carrots and/or zucchini (makes them very wet and they don't rise as well), sugar-free nut butter (almond, cashew, or peanut all work well), unsweetened shredded coconut, cocoa powder (with less cinnamon and a bit more sweetener as a "dessert" muffin), a bit of yogurt and/or cream cheese to make them a bit more dense. I know DH has added hemp protein powder as well, but I've never tasted them like that......P

Low carb coconut pie

2 C whole milk

1 C baking stevia (the type that measures like sugar) or xylitol (much better tasting!)

4 eggs

1/2 C coconut flour

6 Tb. butter

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/2 tsp. salt

1 C shredded unsweetened coconut

In blender combine milk, stevia, eggs, flour, butter, vanilla, and salt. Cover and blend for 30 seconds, scraping sides as necessary. Add coconut and blend for another 2-5 seconds. Pour into greased 10 inch pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until knife comes out clean.

Serve warm or cold. Yields 6-8 servings.

I've also made this as a chocolate coconut pie using 1/4 cocoa powder. It tasted okay.... may need to try it again with more/less cocoa......P

Last edited:
(Recipe courtesy of the Dr. Oz website, with cookbook credits at the bottom.)

Cinnamon Toast Pancakes

Ingredients

Batter
2 large eggs
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup milled flax seed
1/4 cup bulk sugar substitute
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt

Cinnamon Sprinkle
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp bulk sugar substitute
Butter (may use light, trans-fat free buttery spread)
Fresh blueberries or strawberries, for garnish

Directions
Grease a griddle or large skillet with vegetable oil spray and heat over medium-high heat.

Mix all the batter ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon until well blended.

Pour approximately 16 mini-cakes onto the hot griddle, and cook on the first side for 3 to 4 minutes until almost done, and then flip and cook for just another minute or so to finish. You may need to do this in 2 to 3 batches (as we use a very large electric griddle).

Combine the cinnamon and sugar substitute and sprinkle over the hot cakes before serving. If desired, top with a pat of melted butter or fat-free margarine and garnish with fresh berries.

Nutrition Facts
160 calories
11 g fat
7 g protein
4 g fiber
4 g net carbs

Recipe by George Stella, from the book George Stella’s Still Livin' Low Carb; A lifetime of Low Carb Recipes. For more information, go to http://stellastyle.com.

My "tweaks".....

I used 4 egg whites instead of 2 whole eggs to save some fat. I made it the first time using the almond flour, but the second time I used half almond flour and half coconut flour and thought it tasted better.

I grind my own flaxseed and found that a finer grind gave a more "real" pancake texture.

I found that they needed a bit more water than what is called for to be pourable. The first time I thought that they thickened up because I let the batter sit for a bit before cooking, but I made it and used it immediately today and it was still too thick to pour. I added about another 1/4 C of water to make them pourable.

I used liquid stevia to sweeten.

I added cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg to the batter....YUM.

For topping..... I gave DH a small dish of cinnamon butter made with real butter, liquid stevia, and cinnamon. He really enjoyed that.

For myself today I took a tablespoon of Polaner all-fruit spread (blueberry) and warmed it and thinned it with a bit of water and used that as my "syrup". It was DELIGHTFUL! I used the Polaner because it was the most reasonable sugar/carb count and calorie count without having artificial sweetener. Last time I topped them with a bit of Sunbutter spread.... that was tasty too. I was a bit surprised that the Dr. Oz website would condone something like "fat-free margarine". Try the real butter or the fruit spread or even a bit of real syrup for a healthy treat!

ENJOY!

Okay.... I am now making these as MUFFINS. I use the same ingredients but put the batter in 4 glass microwave safe cups that I spray with PAM. Microwave for 2-3 minutes (at least or they are too damp). YUMMY! I ate one fresh on Sunday morning with a bit of cashew butter. I saved the rest for later in the week. This morning I split one open and grilled it on both sides in my nonstick pan with a bit of PAM and then spread it with a tsp. of cashew butter..... DOUBLE YUM. It got all crispy around the edges!!

The only change from the above recipes is that I don't need as much "extra" water because I am not trying to pour them like pancake batter. That being said, I still added another 1-2 Tb of extra water because the batter was so stiff. I may try making them with a bit of fruit or shredded veggies next time!
..................P

SERVES ONE

Ingredients:

Cooked potato, diced - 3 oz.

Fresh baby spinach - 1/2 C, coarsely chopped or torn

Half a diced onion

Any other leftover cooked vegetables

Bit of Mrs. Dash style seasoning

Protein: 3 egg whites or one whole egg or 3 oz of light firm tofu.

Optional: black/kidney beans, shredded cheese, diced cooked veggie burger

Instructions:

Into a hot nonstick (possibly sprayed with non-stick spray or lightly oiled... your choice) skillet dump the potatoes and onion. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, until potatoes are starting to get browned.

Throw in other diced leftover cooked veggies (carrots, celery, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, green beans, sweet potatoes, corn, beets... drained and patted dry if they are very wet) and heat through. Toss the spinach over the top during the last minute or two of cooking, just to wilt it. Push veggies to the edges of the pan and into the middle place your protein, stirring and cooking until done. Scramble the protein with the veggies and serve! You could also add any/all of the optional items at the end of the cooking.

This is a wonderful way to use up leftovers and get your day off to a good start with plenty of veggies!

It is called a "change-it-up" breakfast bowl because it is so easy to customize. If you aren't eating carbs you could eliminate the potatoes (although it was so tasty!). If you don't eat animal protein you could go with tofu and/or the beans and/or the cheese and/or the veggie burger!

If you aren't concerned about eating egg yolks you could DEFINITELY use whole eggs instead of whites.

This makes just one serving, but it would be easy to add an additional 3 oz of potatoes and another serving of protein to serve 2 folks!

I was inspired to make this after seeing an advertisement for a Jimmy Dean frozen breakfast bowl. I would honestly NEVER buy something like that, but it looked appealing, so I decided to make my own! I'm sure the one that was advertised contained JD sausage, but I cannot condone eating sausage or bacon, so I won't even MENTION it.....

ENJOY! I'll post a photo go to with this recipe later today!..............P

I think I'm making this for lunch today! I have some lowfat chicken/veggie sausage to use up and plenty of tofu in the house plus lots of yummy veggies... peppers, onions, and mushrooms to cook! I think I'll get the veggies in a pan now to cook while I am in the house cleaning! If it looks great, I'll post another picture!............P

HEY! Yes you.... MODERATORS! Why did I have to search to find this thread? Where did it disappear to?? PLEASE don't let it disappear.... I LOVE this thread! Not sure why I couldn't find it without the SEARCH function, but someone PLEASE be sure to put it back where it belongs.

THANK YOU!!!! :) ........................P

Ingredients

1 cup(s) buttermilk

1/2 tsp table salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

Instructions

These sound lovely so I'm going to give them a try tomorrow with homemade chicken fillet burgers and salad/potato wedges!

Here is the pizza crust recipe I promised. It is courtesy of Earthbound Organics.

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

Prep Time: 1h 30m | Total Time: 1h 30m |

Recipe makes enough dough for one 12-inch medium-thick crust for a pizza that serves 4, or for about 4 thin-crust individual-size pizzas.

Ingredients

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 package Quick-rising yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
2/3 cup warm water

Directions
In a large mixing bowl combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, yeast, honey and salt.
Mix in water. If necessary, add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time until pizza dough comes together.
Transfer dough onto a slightly floured surface and knead 10-12 times until it forms a smooth ball.
Place pizza dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Place in a warm space for 1 hour to rise. (The microwave works well as a resting place for the dough.
The dough will double in size while resting. Punch the dough down and transfer it to a lightly floured surface. (At this stage, the dough can be frozen for up to 2 months and thawed when ready to roll out.)
Roll out the pizza dough on parchment paper for easy baking.

**** This was part of a larger post for their pizzetta pizza so I had to go searching there for the cooking instructions. After topping it, they cooked it at 425° for 8-10 minutes. I rolled mine out fairly thin and cooked it about 9 minutes. I would have liked it a bit crispier, but DS liked it just fine. That being said, I think I might pre-cook it a bit next time I make it. I also used a combo unbleached white flour and whole wheat (so about 50/50) and it was just fine.

If anyone would like me to check the PPV for WW, I will do so.... I haven't done that yet for myself...................P

ETA: Just did this recipe in the WW etools recipe builder. Works out to the 19 PPV for the entire crust and 5 pts per serving when you consider the crust 4 servings. That being said, I easily ate about 1/3 of the pizza I made to share with DS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter