Wishing On a Star for a MNSSHP/October 2011 PTR

Family Loves Disney

DIS Veteran
I have been reading everyone's reports, so I thought I would start one too.

Cast Members:

Image0449-1.jpg

Me, Shannon, I turned 40 this year and I wanted to celebrate at Disney. I celebrated my 39th birthday last year on my actual birthday in February and it was FREEZING. Needless to say, we were miserable because I only packed clothes for warm weather. So we are not doing that this year, not to mention I have been dealing with a life threatening illness. Anyway, I am a Registered Nurse but I have not worked since June 2010 due to a blood disorder. So I am on leave of abscense till hopefully Wednesday when my hematologist will let me go back to work depending on the results of my genetic testing that was done last week. DH is not going with us this trip, he says he is all Disneyed out. So I told him he could go on a hunting trip while we are at Disney.

Image0529-1-1.jpg

DS, Justin, he will be 11 in July. This pic is from the Pirates League last year. DS has autism and loves WDW.

Image0611-1.jpg

DD, Madison, she is 8. This pic is from BBB last year. I swear everytime she sees a camera, she freezes and looks stiff. We always tell her that she has SDD - severe diva disorder, lol. She is my light when the days are dark. DH always says she is a mini me, which is probably why she is a mommy's girl.

Image0311-1.jpg

And Luke Skywalker, super dog extrodinaire! He may come with us, have not decided yet. He is ds's service dog. I may give him a vacation at the local pet resort that he loves.

As for plans:

We are planning to stay at the Wilderness Lodge, bunk bed courtyard view, DDP, with 7 Day Park Hopper passes for October 14 - 22. I pleaded with DH to go with us (he works for Delta Airlines and we can get a discount on the room is he goes with us), but he refuses. He says he is all Mickey'd out and he does not want to hear the word "Disney". So, my paycheck will be paying for this trip, but since I have not worked since June, I am sweating it a little bit. If I'm not able to go back to work fulltime, then I may move my resort to All Star Movies or POP Century. Please send some prayers my way.

Thought I would post some pics of last year's visit.

Image0696-1.jpg

Me & DH at DHS.

Image0642-1-1.jpg

Family photo at Ahershus for my actual birthday.

Image0711-1.jpg

I absolutely love this pic of the kids at DHS with Stitch.

Image0132-1.jpg

Of Justin & Luke, I love how Pluto is in the corner of the pic.

Image0171-1.jpg

Another family pic in front of the castle.

Image0459-1.jpg

This is one of me and Madison.

History about me:

I am a Charge Nurse on the 7 pm - 7 am shift on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights so I can be home with my children during the week. June 2010, while at work, my lower left leg was swollen and red and warm to touch. It hurt even for my scrub pants to touch it. I did what I would tell any patient, I elevated my leg and put a warm compress on it. My overhouse supervisor insisted that I go straight to the ER. I refused, my floor needed me there, not to mention I had newly graduated and licensed RNs on the floor that still needed guidance at times. So the supervisor called in the day shift charge to come in early, so I went to the ER. I had all the signs of a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) or blood clot in my leg. First of all, nobody in the ER could find a vein to start an IV. I had EMTs, RNs, and even MDs trying to find a vein without any luck. Then I had an ultrasound, my leg hurt so bad that when the tech put the probe on my leg, I almost jumped off the stretcher. I called dh to tell him what was going on and he and the kids came up to the hospital. I just knew I was going to be admitted, at my hospital if you have an ingrown toe nail you get admitted (not really, it's just seems that way). So dh and the kids show up and then the doctor comes in and says that I have a Superficial Thrombophlebitis (basicly I have a blood clot in a vein close to the skin and not very life threatening) and sends me home. DH is not happy!

We get home and dh wants me to call my primary doctor. I tell him I am tired and I just want to sleep for a few hours and then I will call when I get up. I took a pain pill and went to sleep. Luckily dh sat with me in the bedroom and watch over me while I slept. He woke me up worried. He said that I stopped breathing and it took him awhile to wake me up. He was about to call 911 when I finally woke up. I called the doctor on call and he said get to the ER. I asked if he wanted me to go back to the hospital I work at or the one closer to my house. He said definitely the one close to my house and not my job because they may have missed something.

We get to Piedmont Fayette Hospital ER. I kept telling dh that all they are going to do is send me home after a full workup. The immediately took me back to a room, hooked me up to monitors, vital signs were all low, too low. The doctor said something about a ultrasound, I started crying and begging him no, it was too painful. He then said he would order a CT scan and then decide to do an ultrasound later. The techs and RNs could not find a vein on me to start an IV, after about 10 sticks, they finally go one. After the CT, I kept telling DH that they were just going to send me home. The doctor came in and said he had bad news. What?!:scared1: He said I had 2 blood clots in my lungs and that I was lucky dh was watching me while I slept. If dh had not been watching me, I would be dead. So, I am admitted into the hospital and started on heparin drip.

Upon discharge, I am started on coumadin and sent to a hematologist/oncologist for monitoring of the coumadin and to find a reason for the clotting. Before my first appointment with him, my leg starts to swell again and is painful. Another ultrasound, looks like the coumadin is not working and one of my deep veins is 99% blocked with a DVT or blood clot. I am immediately taken to outpatient surgery for a IVC (inferior vena cava filter) filter to be inserted to prevent another PE (pulmonary embolism, or blood clot in my lungs). Just great! A few days later had another CT to make sure I didn't have another PE because I was having a hard time breathing. Good news, no PE. The CT showed scar tissue from previous PEs which is causing the shortness of breath. My doctor puts me on Celexa to help with the increasing anxiety I am having, which is common with patients diagnosed with PEs.

A few days after the CT, I start breaking out in a rash all over my body. Apparently, I am allergic to the IVP dye used in my CT test. UGH! So a round of steroids and reglan I am better. Finally see my hematologist and he can't understand why I am clotting. The only risk factor I have is my weight and he said that it wasn't enough of a risk factor to cause the clotting. The plan is for me to take coumadin for 9 months to a year, then have genetic testing done. Meanwhile, everytime I take the coumadin, exactly an hour after taking it, I begin getting shortness of breath. :confused: Next visit with hematologist, he thinks that I have an intolerance to the coumadin. Because I am diabetic, he didn't want me to be on steroids for a whole year. I suggested the reglan, he agreed I should try it. So when I take my coumadin, I will take the reglan with it. It works! I still have shortness of breath, but it is tolerable.

Now to today. I stopped taking the coumadin a month ago. Last week, I had my genetic testing done. Now tomorrow morning, I find out what is wrong with me and if I can go back to work full time without any limitations. Please say some prayers for me.

As for work, I know a bit out of order here, when I was given the ok to go back to work, the hospital would not let me come back because I had limitations. And according to policy, a nurse cannot work if the doctor gives him/her limitations. My doctor did not want me to walk alot or pick up anything heavy. And in my world, it means no working at all! :sad2: I am management, so I did not understand that. According to my boss, they need me to be off of limitations, just in case they are short and I have to take on a few patients. I understand that, but why can't they put me somewhere till I am given the all clear? :confused3

Anyway, that is what is going on with me medically.

I have been reading everyone's reports, so I thought I would start one too.

About time. I just happened to think I should click on your name today and see if you had one.

Image0311-1.jpg

And Luke Skywalker, super dog extrodinaire! He may come with us, have not decided yet. He is ds's service dog. I may give him a vacation at the local pet resort that he loves.

He's so cute with Tink!

As for plans:

We are planning to stay at the Wilderness Lodge, bunk bed courtyard view, DDP, with 7 Day Park Hopper passes for October 14 - 22. I pleaded with DH to go with us (he works for Delta Airlines and we can get a discount on the room is he goes with us), but he refuses. He says he is all Mickey'd out and he does not want to hear the word "Disney". So, my paycheck will be paying for this trip, but since I have not worked since June, I am sweating it a little bit. If I'm not able to go back to work fulltime, then I may move my resort to All Star Movies or POP Century. Please send some prayers my way.

Too bad you're not at AKL. ;)

Image0711-1.jpg

I absolutely love this pic of the kids at DHS with Stitch.

I love that too. Is that a photo pass picture?

Question: how do I add my trip report link to my siggie?

First copy the url of this page. Then go to edit your signature. Click where you want the link to go and then click the little globe above the text box. Here you will paste the url. After you hit enter you'll see that part of what was inserted is highlighted. That's the part that people will see as the link to click on. You can type the actual PTR title there. Preview to make sure it looks right and... Voila! :)

Now to today. I stopped taking the coumadin a month ago. Last week, I had my genetic testing done. Now tomorrow morning, I find out what is wrong with me and if I can go back to work full time without any limitations. Please say some prayers for me.

As for work, I know a bit out of order here, when I was given the ok to go back to work, the hospital would not let me come back because I had limitations. And according to policy, a nurse cannot work if the doctor gives him/her limitations. My doctor did not want me to walk alot or pick up anything heavy. And in my world, it means no working at all! :sad2: I am management, so I did not understand that. According to my boss, they need me to be off of limitations, just in case they are short and I have to take on a few patients. I understand that, but why can't they put me somewhere till I am given the all clear? :confused3

You are one lucky lady to be here today. Hoping for good results tomorrow. Nervous that they haven't actually given a diagnosis yet. It sucks that your job can't be more flexible.

What happened to your niece? You listed her in the October thread as coming with you.

Is that a photo pass picture?Yes, I absolutely loved the photographer, he was so creative with the kids.

You are one lucky lady to be here today. Hoping for good results tomorrow. Nervous that they haven't actually given a diagnosis yet. It sucks that your job can't be more flexible. I know, it sucks that they wouldn't be flexible. I have been with that hospital for 5 yrs.

What happened to your niece? You listed her in the October thread as coming with you. She was going to come, but she signed up for her 10th grade classes for next year and some of them are AP classes. She talked to her AP teacher about missing a week of school to go with us. Her teacher was excited for her, but advised her that missing a week would end up hurting her. So she made the adult choice to not go. She was very upset and cried for days (because she LOVES her Aunt Shannon). I told her that WDW will be there next time we go and not to worry about it, school was more important..

Thanks for subbing everyone. I look forward to posting more of my PTR.

I am about to get ready for my doctor appointment. I am so scared! I didn't get much sleep the past couple of nights because of worrying. I am scared that they won't have a diagnosis and that they will. I am almost in tears right now. I hate being the patient and I want to go back to being the nurse, the caretaker of those that need me. I will post when I get home. Wish me luck.

I am about to get ready for my doctor appointment. I am so scared! I didn't get much sleep the past couple of nights because of worrying. I am scared that they won't have a diagnosis and that they will. I am almost in tears right now. I hate being the patient and I want to go back to being the nurse, the caretaker of those that need me. I will post when I get home. Wish me luck.

Good luck, I hope everything turns out ok! :goodvibes :hug:

Went to the doctor this morning, during check in the nurse did my vital signs - could not get a blood pressure, weighed me - lost 2 pounds , put in a room and waited and waited. Finally MD comes in, sits at the computer in the room and looks through the computer at my records and again we waited and waited and waited. At this point, I have been worrying so much, my stomach felt a little upset. I am thinking to myself "if he doesn't hurry up I am going to explode". The MD finally calls the nurse in and ask about another test that he ordered but had not resulted. The nurse comes back in and says it was never done, ordered but not done by the lab. The MD tells us that 2 of the genetic tests came back negative! That is a relief, but they have to redraw blood for the test never done by the lab. I asked the MD if I can go back to work without limitations and he said yes! So I didn't neccessarily receive bad news. Just have to wait for the other test to result. I am still under the watchful eye of my hematologist, I don't care as long as I can get my life back in order. I think I deserve this vacation now! I don't have to change anything to it, I was sweating it for awhile. I thought that I would have to change resorts to a moderate or value (which there is nothing wrong with them) but I had my heart on staying at a deluxe once in my life. Now I don't have to. Gonna help ds with his homework, thanks again for the prayers and well wishes. I appreciate them. It's hard for me to be the patient and not the nurse.

Nothing new today as of yet. I went to the hospital I work at to talk to my boss. She was so happy I get to go back to work. I will start back tomorrow night 7 pm- 7 am. I love night shift, but my body doesn't. I told my boss I need to work day shift, she said to put it in writing and she will see what she can do. I am torn, the money is better working the night shift on the weekends and I love the people I work with (in fact, they are my closest friends), but at the same time I am tired of working only weekends (no family time or couple time) and healthwise my body can't do it much longer. I don't know.

Today I need to get caught up on all the continuing education classes that every nurse is required to do for the hospital every year. So that is one thing I will be doing besides digging out my navy and white scrubs for work.

Last night, I was running the numbers. I have 4 months or 8 paychecks to pay my balance by August 30. It will be tight because I won't be working fulltime, just parttime due to childcare issues. I may have to change my resort to a moderate. We stayed at POR last year and LOVED it! I may just go back there or POFQ. If Disney comes out with FD or % off rooms, then I may can pull off WL. IDK, I don't want to wait too long. HELP!:confused3

My word you have definetly been through a rough year!!

We will be there the same time as you staying at OKW. I am sure you will have a fabulous time where ever you stay!!!

My word you have definetly been through a rough year!!

We will be there the same time as you staying at OKW. I am sure you will have a fabulous time where ever you stay!!!

Welcome. You have no idea how rough it has been. LOL. A month after my blood issues, I fell and broke my wrist. In December I had an EGD and a colonoscopy because my hematologist thought I had a GI bleed somewhere because my blood levels were critical. Only showed inflammation of the stomach lining. Then this past February I had kidney stones in both kidneys and had surgery on one of the kidneys. I was able to pass the other stones without surgery. Let me tell you, I was miserable! While working night shift I developed high blood pressure and was on medications for that. Since being off for 9 months, I am off my blood pressure meds. Not looking forward to the high blood pressure again. lol.

I asked the MD if I can go back to work without limitations and he said yes! So I didn't neccessarily receive bad news. Just have to wait for the other test to result.

Hooray and boo! So glad you get to back but annoyed with the system that didn't run the proper tests in the first place. :hug:

Nothing new today as of yet. I went to the hospital I work at to talk to my boss. She was so happy I get to go back to work. I will start back tomorrow night 7 pm- 7 am. I love night shift, but my body doesn't. I told my boss I need to work day shift, she said to put it in writing and she will see what she can do. I am torn, the money is better working the night shift on the weekends and I love the people I work with (in fact, they are my closest friends), but at the same time I am tired of working only weekends (no family time or couple time) and healthwise my body can't do it much longer. I don't know.

Today I need to get caught up on all the continuing education classes that every nurse is required to do for the hospital every year. So that is one thing I will be doing besides digging out my navy and white scrubs for work.

Last night, I was running the numbers. I have 4 months or 8 paychecks to pay my balance by August 30. It will be tight because I won't be working fulltime, just parttime due to childcare issues. I may have to change my resort to a moderate. We stayed at POR last year and LOVED it! I may just go back there or POFQ. If Disney comes out with FD or % off rooms, then I may can pull off WL. IDK, I don't want to wait too long. HELP!:confused3

That is such a tough call. I worked a lot of nights when I did data entry before kids. I don't think I could handle it so well now. Especially on the weekends or over summer. I've done a couple of stints helping out at Target but it was just a week or even a night and I would get home to get the kids to school and then go to bed. Not bad for a short period.

I hope you get to stay at your deluxe. We really shouldn't splurge on AKL again but we realized just how much we loved it after staying at BWI last trip and don't ever want to stay anywhere else. I have put a ban on eating out from now until the trip (except for special occasions and emergencies). The kids aren't happy but they'll be plenty happy when we're at WDW eating Mickey Mouse ice cream bars.:mickeybar

At work! :-) Enjoying my time here, a little sleepy. Still have to get use to nights. I have missed my working family not to mention my paycheck. Will post probably Sunday. Have a great weekend & a Happy Easter to those that celebrate.

Hooray for work, kind of. I saw you had posted and thought maybe you were just trying to adjust your sleeping habits. Didn't realize you went back so quickly. Hope this week goes smoothly. Happy Easter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter