• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

women in your 30s or older - clothing question

I don't think so. The original question was about WHERE to shop. And there seems to be a very distinct problem (among some) with the source of the clothing as much as the clothing itself.

I gave the example earlier of Rue21 which both my 13-year-old daughter and 42-year-old wife love. But, while they both shop there, they don't buy exactly the same things. They both get jeans (DW more than DD), DD also gets skirts where DW doesn't. DW gets some tops there, but DD does not. But what many are saying here is that because they have clothing that DD13 likes, DW42 shouldn't even be shopping for herself in that store. And, I say "bull" to that. And if they can both find the same style of jeans and look good in them from the same store, more power to them on that one too :thumbsup2

The first post stated she had a sweater from either AE or Aero that her daughter's friend also had. Daughter is in middle school.

As far as a problem with the source of the clothing, it's gone both ways here. How many comments have been made about x brand or store being for old ladies?

The first post stated she had a sweater from either AE or Aero that her daughter's friend also had. Daughter is in middle school.

As far as a problem with the source of the clothing, it's gone both ways here. How many comments have been made about x brand or store being for old ladies?

No one started calling them old lady stores until a bunch of posters suggested once you get to a certain age you have no business shopping at stores that sell teen or junior clothing.

I like American Eagle jeans but I wouldn't wear the tops to any of these stores. I feel, though, that retailers are missing a huge market in the 30somethings. I feel too young for Ann Taylor and too old for American Eagle, Aeropostale. Most of my shopping in store is at Macy's and Nordstrom. Annoying!

Hmmm...I guess it's all perspective and where you are wearing the clothes. I think that Ann Taylor is totally geared toward 30-somethings. In fact, in the workplace, most of the 30-somethings I know are getting their professional attire from Ann Taylor. Certainly not the casual stuff, but definitely skirts, tops, suits, etc. I only know one or two 20-somethings shopping there, but definitely. My one coworker gets a ton of stuff from Ann Taylor. She is 32 now but has been going there for years.

True, but it quickly morphed into a crusade against the store as much as the specific piece, both of which I have a problem with, to be honest. Sweaters or hoodies aren't age-specific IMO.

Yeah, but I haven't seen anyone who shops at those places disagree. They may have PC'd it up by calling those places "age appropriate", but they were basically saying the same thing as the detractors, just from a different POV.

True, but it quickly morphed into a crusade against the store as much as the specific piece, both of which I have a problem with, to be honest. Sweaters or hoodies aren't age-specific IMO.

Yeah, but I haven't seen anyone who shops at those places disagree. They may have PC'd it up by calling those places "age appropriate", but they were basically saying the same thing as the detractors, just from a different POV.

I'll disagree then. I could go into any of those stores or look at any of those brands and find myself clothes that don't make me look like a little old lady.

If someone really thinks that normal adult clothes are for old ladies, then that explains a lot about why they would shop at stores for teenagers.

No one started calling them old lady stores until a bunch of posters suggested once you get to a certain age you have no business shopping at stores that sell teen or junior clothing.

For the most part it's true though. If you are over 25 and AE is the first store you think of when you need new clothes, you should probably rethink your style.

Even the posters that were the first to feel the need to defend shopping at those stores later changed it to only buying certain things there or tried to change it lump adult stores in with the teen stores.

I'll disagree then. I could go into any of those stores or look at any of those brands and find myself clothes that don't make me look like a little old lady.

If someone really thinks that normal adult clothes are for old ladies, then that explains a lot about why they would shop at stores for teenagers.

I don't consider any store to be too old or too young. I say wear what fits no matter where it comes from, and if someone has a problem and wants to be Judgy McJudgerson, oh well. :rotfl2:

For the most part it's true though. If you are over 25 and AE is the first store you think of when you need new clothes, you should probably rethink your style.

That is just so judgemental and sad!

Was just in there a half hour ago with my youngest! Oh if I was skinnier! There were a lot of cute things in there that a woman of any age or a young kid could wear! And a lot of stuff that anyone of any age not be wearing in public! LoL

Hmmm...I guess it's all perspective and where you are wearing the clothes. I think that Ann Taylor is totally geared toward 30-somethings. In fact, in the workplace, most of the 30-somethings I know are getting their professional attire from Ann Taylor. Certainly not the casual stuff, but definitely skirts, tops, suits, etc. I only know one or two 20-somethings shopping there, but definitely. My one coworker gets a ton of stuff from Ann Taylor. She is 32 now but has been going there for years.

Agreed. I'm referring to casual/fun clothes. I'm a nurse so I don't need professional clothes, but when I need nice pants and a sweater top for a baby shower or other function, that's where I'd go. I'm talking everyday clothes, like jeans and cute sweaters. On occasion they will have something but I want more variety.

I don't consider any store to be too old or too young. I say wear what fits no matter where it comes from, and if someone has a problem and wants to be Judgy McJudgerson, oh well. :rotfl2:

But you do care if someone had a problem with it. You care so much you felt the need to defend shopping at teen stores. You even went so far as to post pictures of yourself because you needed to show how wrong those people were. If you didn't care you wouldn't have such a strong desire to tell people their opinion is wrong.

But you do care if someone had a problem with it. You care so much you felt the need to defend shopping at teen stores. You even went so far as to post pictures of yourself because you needed to show how wrong those people were. If you didn't care you wouldn't have such a strong desire to tell people their opinion is wrong.

I wasn't defending anything. I was having an interesting conversation. Why would I try to defend something when I couldn't care less what people here think of me? :confused3

I'll disagree then. I could go into any of those stores or look at any of those brands and find myself clothes that don't make me look like a little old lady. If someone really thinks that normal adult clothes are for old ladies, then that explains a lot about why they would shop at stores for teenagers.

I sense a ton of jealousy on your posts . I gonna bet you can't fit into any of the teenager store clothes and resent those who can?

You really do sound jealous and going after Smitch like a dog with a bone. Just sayin'.

So, if it's possible to go into the "old lady" stores and come out not looking like an old lady, isn't it equally possible to go into the "stores for teens" and still come out looking like a grownup? Isn't that fair?

I just bought jeans from ae because they fit. I don't have any hips or butt so it's very difficult to buy pants that don't droop in the rear unless I shop at a "teen" store.

Even the posters that were the first to feel the need to defend shopping at those stores later changed it to only buying certain things there or tried to change it lump adult stores in with the teen stores.

Wow. There's some serious re-writing of (thread) history right there!

Most people posting early on who shop in those stores mentioned things like jean or sweaters. None of them claimed to buy anything and everything there. You and JanaDee were actually the first to lump everything together, assuming that nothing from those stores could possibly be a good style for someone older. It was in response to you and others like you that people felt the need to be more specific.

If you wear juniors sizes, how can you not look like a teen? :confused3

Because not all junior sized clothing screams "teenager". :confused3

It does though. I don't want to argue or anything but isn't that the whole point of it, to be for teens and young adults.

I can understand that certain body types probably prefer juniors sizing because it fits them better.

So, if it's possible to go into the "old lady" stores and come out not looking like an old lady, isn't it equally possible to go into the "stores for teens" and still come out looking like a grownup? Isn't that fair?

Exactly!

I seriously never knew there was so much controversy over where a 30 something year old woman shops!

You know we don't allow logic on this message board!

Exactly! I seriously never knew there was so much controversy over where a 30 something year old woman shops!

Or any woman of any age. Who cares if you buy in a teen store, an old lady store or a thrift shop. If you're clothed, if you think you look good and you're happy, it's no one else's business.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter