women in your 30s or older - clothing question

No. Maybe if I had the body of a 20-something I would. lol.

I'm glad I have a son.....

I wear an xs/s in Pink! and VS!!!!!! How in the world is a 5th grader my size?!????

I'm glad I have a son.....

I wear an xs/s in Pink! and VS!!!!!! How in the world is a 5th grader my size?!????

My DD also wears an XS/S in PINK. She is about 5'3" and 110 lbs. I'm sure there are 5th graders on the larger side who can wear PINK. Not a tiny 5th grader for sure; however, maybe they don't mind if the sweatshirts are a little baggy. Also, some 5th graders are already wearing bras and they do have some tiny bra sizes in there.

I've always looked young for my age. That being said, it's always hard for me to find clothes that look good on me, but don't make me look like I'm still in high school! If I wear something that is too "adult" like, then I just look like a 12 year old kid trying to wear my mom's clothes! So I have to find a balance between those two.....

I am 34 year old, (and people tell me I barely look 29). Here's where I shop for my clothes:

Jeans - Abercrombie and Fitch
shirts, tops, sweaters, dress pants - Macys, Fossil, Disneystore (Disney hoodies!)

At Macys, I tend to stick to the following brands - Tommy Hillfiger, Calvin Kein

* I used to buy tops at A&F, and AE, but the clothes look so young....like high school age. Even though I look young, my taste is starting to line up with more adult like clothes. There's just that challenge though of finding the right tops.

I have seen a few threads with this theme, so it's interesting to see how many 30 something year olds find a challenge with clothes shopping. I suppose it's that middle of the road where you don't want to dress like a 50 year old, but the high school days are over too. :rolleyes:

My only advice would be to browse online at different stores, and see what appeals to you. Everyone's tastes are different, and in the end, you have to feel comfortable with what you wear. :thumbsup2

I never said I dress as a twin to my teenager..:rotfl2:

But your post reinforced what my point was.. I am 44, and am confident in my clothing choices.. I would never bare anything, NOBODY needs to see that (myself included)..

I would hate to show you my shoes.. I am more a shoe person than anything else, and I really buy them and wear them for myself. Same goes for my clothing..

Exactly!!! I buy clothes that I like and that fit me and look good. Sometimes that is stuff from the juniors dept :scared1: Juniors jeans fit me better than others so those are what I wear. I have 2 teenage daughters who will tell me exactly what they think of my clothes and I have never heard that something is too young for me but I have had them say something is too old :lmao: My shoes are my loves...lol. I am always in 5-6 inch heels when I g out at night unless it's too snowy. I wear them because I love them.

The PINK stuff won't say Victoria's Secret on it. It will say PINK on it somewhere. Except for some of the low cut, drapey T-shirts, much of the PINK line is pretty nice and comfy. The slouch Boyfriend lounge pants are really comfortable and the sweatshirts and hoodies are great. They wash up well and last for years.

As a 50 year old, I don't wear PINK out of the house but I have three pairs of the Boyfriend lounge pants and a thinner pair of WVU-themed lounge pants. I love wearing them when I get home from work and the length is great for my 34 inch inseam. I haven't found any lazing-around-the-house pants that are as comfortable anywhere else.

My college daughter mainly wears the yoga pants, leggings, and sweatshirt type types. I would have no problem allowing a 5th grader to wear any of their more modest stuff.

The PINK thing has always bothered me a little considering what it's a euphemism for.

Exactly!!! I buy clothes that I like and that fit me and look good. Sometimes that is stuff from the juniors dept :scared1: Juniors jeans fit me better than others so those are what I wear. I have 2 teenage daughters who will tell me exactly what they think of my clothes and I have never heard that something is too young for me but I have had them say something is too old :lmao: My shoes are my loves...lol. I am always in 5-6 inch heels when I g out at night unless it's too snowy. I wear them because I love them.

I love hooker shoes too :) have whole closet full.

OH, we would get along well!!!!!!!:) I am the same.. I love love love shoes.. Boots now :furious:, but I even love those..

The PINK thing has always bothered me a little considering what it's a euphemism for.

Was that Victoria Secret's intent? Or is it something that has just morphed into that (based on a story I once heard told by Pink about how she got her nickname--there's a clean story and a dirty story). I never once associated the store brand with that, though.

Whatever. You people keep arguing. I'm off to VS PINK to relive my youth :rotfl2:

VS pink is a late middle school (8th grade) through about 10th here. Kids gave my daughter gift cards from there for her 14th birthday.

I don't see an issue wearing jeans from any store that has jeans that will fit you. I would NOT walk around wearing an aero shirt or anything because that is something only grade school and early jr high kids wear here and way to juvenile. I am not a fan of adult wearing skinny jeans but to each their own.

So maybe the younger kids are trying to dress older instead of the older ladies trying to dress younger :thumbsup2

If I see something I think is cute I buy it. I am not going to not buy something because a store is only geared for younger people.

This thread is so funny. A female friend of mine recently got moved to an all male office. She said she's never been happier in her work life to get away from the females. And it's not because she seeks male attention. :lmao: After reading this thread I can see why she's so happy.

Wear what you want, if it makes you happy and you are not hurting anyone, go for it.

I would give ANYTHING to work in an all male office.......and I sure as hell don't crave the attention either!

I'd give anything to not have to supervise a dept. full of women. It makes for a miserable day.

Oh, I think I've found my calling. Selling "trendy" brands on the black market to over 40's. Meet me around back.......ma'am.

:lmao:

I have not been around much and just read thru this entire thread.:eek:

Just want to say Smitch, you look great in that red top. You can dress in a top like that. Heck, I'm 49 and I'd wear that top!

But I'm a hairdresser and hairdressers are known for wearing some "fun" clothing. ;)

I have an almost 20yo DD and I can tell you I dress way cuter than she does. She is uninterested in cute clothes. She's all about practical, comfy, and such. When she does try, she's quite preppy which always looks nice. I have days where I dress preppy also.

AArcher, I love those jeans you posted. I will be going to AE to try a pair on. Tomorrow. They better have them at my AE. ;) And if I can't wear them I'm going to cry.:rotfl: And then I will diet and run until I can wear those jeans.:love:

To the 2 ladies who posted sweaters---the blue cardigan is so pretty. I loved it! And that long one that had the V neck from Macy's--OMG, I would so wear that. I loved that sweater but, it was a bit expensive for me, really. I spend most of my time cutting hair and it gets everywhere...not a great thing for a sweater over $50 bucks.

I have put things on and looked in the dressing room mirror and thought, NOPE, you're too old for this. But I'm not dressing in 12yo clothing either, lol. That red top is better on Smitch than on a 12yo.

The trouble is, kids want to wear more mature clothing (not old lady) so they take women's clothing and cut those women's clothing down to fit a 12yo's figure. It's been happening for years now.

I'm in the business of making women look beautiful. I think if you wear some cute, trendy, well fitting clothing (even classic styles, I'm not talking faddish), have your hair in a nice style, possibly a bit of makeup or a little more and some cute jewelry, you're going to feel a lot better about yourself and more confident. I see it all the time.

I do not care if you are very overweight, if you are trying to look good, and we have all seen someone who is very overweight pull off looking great, it really works and shows. They are looking good, happy, confident, pleasant and someone you want to be around. You can look good at any size--just do not look like those 4 old women on the couch someone posted!! :headache: Sometimes my mom wears that mock turtleneck with a sweatshirt (she is 76) and when she does, I call her on it. She might do it anyway but I let her know she has plenty in her closet to look better in than that! :rotfl:

The thing that go me with this thread is so many people saying wear age appropriate clothing ("not that red top!!"<---what?! she looks great in that top!) and then I saw another thread say, "Yes, go put pink, or purple highlights in your hair!" to someone over 30.
That's so crazy...no cute red top, but pink hair is OK.:eek: BTW, I say do whatever you want because that hairdresser is going to take your money if you want purple streaks in your hair, are you kidding?! lol Hell yeah it looks good! :rotfl::rolleyes::headache:

And while you're at it, get some feathers.;)

If I see something I like while shopping for my 10 year old but I stay away from the logos and labels.

I think if you wear some cute, trendy, well fitting clothing (even classic styles, I'm not talking faddish), have your hair in a nice style, possibly a bit of makeup or a little more and some cute jewelry, you're going to feel a lot better about yourself and more confident. I see it all the time.

So true. Always works for me. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

For what it's worth, IMO, none of the women that posted pics look inappropriate or ridiculous in what they chose to wear.

I am 48:eek: and went shopping with my 16 year old. She was trying to get me to shop in Forever 21. I just couldn't find anything that I liked. But if I did I would have bought it there. All the pictures of outfits posted look cute to me.

Plus i think there is a big difference IMHO between someone in 30's vs. 40's. I think the big "you are too old to wear that comes in your 40's"Most of my friends shop at White House Black Market. I hate that place. I think their stuff looks like a uniform. I cracked up one night we went out they were all wearing different tops but yet they all looked the same.They were all red and black. I was wearing purple. One of these things is not like the others.

I will admit that when a friend started wearing abercrombie shirts I thought she looked ridiculous. It just seemed like she was trying too hard. None of the outfits posted here scream trying too hard.

So maybe the younger kids are trying to dress older instead of the older ladies trying to dress younger :thumbsup2

Exactly! I can't believe all the people so matter-of-factly stating "oh, VS Pink is for 10 year olds." Um, no, it's not. It is not designed for them, it is not marketed to them, it is not advertised with them. We all know that at that age nothing is more important than fitting in and being as grown up as possible, so I completely understand why the brand has become popular with them...a ten year old who gets to walk around wearing the logo of the country's most famous lingerie store must feel very proud of themselves for being so adult. :rolleyes:

I just can't believe their parents are so accepting of that. And please don't say "well the VS Pink clothes are comfy and well made and they like them!" because that's the argument everyone's been making for the 30 year-olds wearing Abercrombie. You can't have it both ways. :rolleyes1

aaarcher86,

I went to the mall and got my jeans. I also got a pair of the Boot Kick(in) (?). I love both of these jeans!!! Thank you!

I took my almost 20yo dd. We walk into the store and she promptly says, "Does this bring back memories of middle school?" LMBO

There were several very cute things in there and the two young men who were working could not have been nicer, or more helpful. I did not get any type of "what's an old lady like her doing in our store?" vibes. haha

Anyway, I love my jeans (and 25% off belt!). Thanks again!

I have not read this whole thread (it's LONG) but no, I do not shop at those stores. I think my taste in clothing is a little more classic and grown up than those stores offer (I like style of New York & company, Express, Gap, local boutiques for trendier items). I do have a friend that does and it drives me insane. Yeah, a shirt is a shirt, but she goes for the stuff that shouts where it's from, and I'm like, Yeah, that was cool when I was in high school. I'm just not into name-dropping, whether it's for acquaintances or brands I wear. Mt clothes come from a variety of places, including Goodwill (actually, I like Salvation Army better!), Nordstrom, Sacks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales, Von Maur, Target, TJ Maxx and even places like Meijer and Walmart! The dresses I get the most compliments on are a couple I have from Walmart when they were on clearance!

All in all, to me, it doesn't matter where it's from, as long as it's reasonably priced, good quality, fits well and doesn't shout the store I bought it at. the only thing I regularly wear that announces it's brand Under Armour, but it's unavoidable - it's my favorite running gear. But I do interchange UA with C9 from target regularly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter