women in your 30s or older - clothing question

OMG Won't you just die if one of your students comes in wearing the same sweater? Don't you care that the mothers in their Coldwater Creek and Talbots attire will be laughing and snickering behind your back? Dress your age lady!

Scandalous! ;)

ROFL!!!

By the way, this thread has been a hoot! I am in my mid 30s, am short, curvy, and have a few too many pounds on. I have an Aero top that looks great and cost under $5. Perfect for casual days.

I actually never realized that screen tees were taboo. Is it ok that mine came from Target and is cut perfectly to skim over bulges? I'm going to hate giving that one up.

This thread has pointed out to me that I do need to retire a pair of sweats I picked up from a teenybopper store though. They are amazingly the right length, are black, are super comfy and are cut in a way that is flattering. I love them!! However, they have a logo on the top right corner that is visible most of the time. That really looks teeny-bopperish and I am always tugging my shirt down to cover it.

I should also point out that I also have plenty of stuff from the "accepted" brands. I love love love my "Not My Daughter's Jeans". Although frankly, not a blessed thing from Coldwater Creek and the like will hang right on my short frame. I have a couple of things I bought...but they look absolutely dreadful on me.

Yes, also skinny jeans, shorty-shorts, cami's, and neon shoes. But, nothing else, right? ;)

Whoa!!!!!! What's wrong with skinny jeans? That is all I own. I also wear jeans on Fridays and training holidays, classy sweater/ballet flats/ ultra dark skinny jeans look extremely professional. In fact that is pretty much the average style and I'm on a military command!

This has nothing to do with shopping for me, but we went to the mall to buy jeans for my ds18 yesterday and I thought of this thread. He always gets his jeans at AE, but we went into Aero to see what they had. Every style of guys jeans they had were ripped, except for ONE. And those were button fly. I asked the salesperson if anyone actually buys them?! I have two DS's, 14 and 18- and both of them said "let's get out of here".

Makes me wonder- if the teenagers don't want to wear them, why would the middle agers?

This has nothing to do with shopping for me, but we went to the mall to buy jeans for my ds18 yesterday and I thought of this thread. He always gets his jeans at AE, but we went into Aero to see what they had. Every style of guys jeans they had were ripped, except for ONE. And those were button fly. I asked the salesperson if anyone actually buys them?! I have two DS's, 14 and 18- and both of them said "let's get out of here".

Makes me wonder- if the teenagers don't want to wear them, why would the middle agers?

Guess you didn't get the memo. If you say stuff like that you are called old and fat.

Btw, I love button fly. If I can find 100% cotton and button fly jeans, I am in heaven.

sunshinehighway said:
Guess you didn't get the memo. If you say stuff like that you are called old and fat.

Btw, I love button fly. If I can find 100% cotton and button fly jeans, I am in heaven.

I am fat and I'll be turning 35 this year which I don't think is old but I do shop at Forever 21 quite a bit cuz it's cheap!

I will also say (as I've stated in another thread) that jeggings are the most flattering pants I've ever worn. They don't show any lumps or bumps, they make my legs look skinny, they are very comfortable and they don't give me a muffin top. What more could you ask for? I buy them at JC Penneys junior dept.

I'll also agree with other posters about not wearing big logos on shirts or pants. I think logos on anyone looks ridiculous which I know is being judgemental ;)

And to agree with yet another poster wearing jerseys around here is also completely normal.

tumblr_lom5nwKEcF1qidnqfo1_500.jpg

Everytime I hear old lady this is my mental image. ;)

Whoa!!!!!! What's wrong with skinny jeans? That is all I own. I also wear jeans on Fridays and training holidays, classy sweater/ballet flats/ ultra dark skinny jeans look extremely professional. In fact that is pretty much the average style and I'm on a military command!

I'm sorry, they probably look fabulous on you, but you've aged out. Even if you red-shirted, you are simply out of years of eligibility ;)

I'm sorry, they probably look fabulous on you, but you've aged out. Even if you red-shirted, you are simply out of years of eligibility ;)

Say it's not so!!!!! Lol

I'm glad I don't care what people think! I also get guessed no higher than 24 so I will keep my "youthful" non matronly fashion sense.

I don't see VS pink as a middle school thing. I think I'd be a little more creeped out that parents are letting their middle schoolers wear it versus a 30 year old.

VS pink is a late middle school (8th grade) through about 10th here. Kids gave my daughter gift cards from there for her 14th birthday.

I don't see an issue wearing jeans from any store that has jeans that will fit you. I would NOT walk around wearing an aero shirt or anything because that is something only grade school and early jr high kids wear here and way to juvenile. I am not a fan of adult wearing skinny jeans but to each their own.

VS pink is a late middle school (8th grade) through about 10th here. Kids gave my daughter gift cards from there for her 14th birthday.

I've seen many in their 20s and 30s wearing vs pink. It's actually marketed more towards college age girls, but to each her own.

I've seen many in their 20s and 30s wearing vs pink. It's actually marketed more towards college age girls, but to each her own.

PINK is very big at my DD's college campus. Doesn't hurt that her school is part of their collegiate line and they sell the stuff right in the bookstore. I no longer know any middle schoolers to know if they are buying it or not. Around here, when I am in the PINK store with my college aged daughter, I don't see any really young girls. Pretty muc high school and college. I know things vary by region though.

I guess I'm in the minority: I really don't care what someone else is wearing or where they bought it. I wear what I like and what makes me feel good, and if someone else doesn't like it, they don't need to look at me. Unless you are paying for it, you should not judge.

I have to say, this thread is sort of hitting my creepster buttons. I am amazed that there are actually women who judge other women by where other women shop. It's just. . .creepy.

21 pages of creepy.

That I just added to. :headache:

(I do have to say this. . .if you refuse to get on the style bus and stop wearing wide leg pants that is certainly your business, but trying to take the moral high ground for doing so is just. . .well. :rolleyes1)

PINK is very big at my DD's college campus. Doesn't hurt that her school is part of their collegiate line and they sell the stuff right in the bookstore. I no longer know any middle schoolers to know if they are buying it or not. Around here, when I am in the PINK store with my college aged daughter, I don't see any really young girls. Pretty muc high school and college. I know things vary by region though.

DD10 came home recently and announced that Justice is no longer cool and for the 5th grade set it is Aero, Abercrombie and Victoria's Secret Pink! No way on the last one little lady. Even if the clothes are tasteful, my 10 year old will not be wearing anything that says Victorias Secret on it!! So yes, the Middle School set has apparently found this!

I saw the beginning of this thread and it bothered me so much (interpretation: not at all) that I just bought an Aeropostale zip up hood with Aero blazoned across the front. It is so warm and cozy- no wonder my DD likes them so much!

To the people who care: I don't care what you think, so why would you care what I wear?

Signed,

a 39 year old

PS: It's thinking like this that kept women from having the vote for so long!

This thread is so funny. A female friend of mine recently got moved to an all male office. She said she's never been happier in her work life to get away from the females. And it's not because she seeks male attention. :lmao: After reading this thread I can see why she's so happy.

Wear what you want, if it makes you happy and you are not hurting anyone, go for it.

[QUOTE="Cinder" Ella's Mom;50731802]DD10 came home recently and announced that Justice is no longer cool and for the 5th grade set it is Aero, Abercrombie and Victoria's Secret Pink! No way on the last one little lady. Even if the clothes are tasteful, my 10 year old will not be wearing anything that says Victorias Secret on it!! So yes, the Middle School set has apparently found this![/QUOTE]

The PINK stuff won't say Victoria's Secret on it. It will say PINK on it somewhere. Except for some of the low cut, drapey T-shirts, much of the PINK line is pretty nice and comfy. The slouch Boyfriend lounge pants are really comfortable and the sweatshirts and hoodies are great. They wash up well and last for years.

As a 50 year old, I don't wear PINK out of the house but I have three pairs of the Boyfriend lounge pants and a thinner pair of WVU-themed lounge pants. I love wearing them when I get home from work and the length is great for my 34 inch inseam. I haven't found any lazing-around-the-house pants that are as comfortable anywhere else.

My college daughter mainly wears the yoga pants, leggings, and sweatshirt type types. I would have no problem allowing a 5th grader to wear any of their more modest stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter