Work/Life Balance - How many hours a week do you work?

Week A-Monday off, Tues-Fri 7:30-5 with mandatory 30 minute lunch 36 hours working 38 hours at work with lunchtime
Week B-Monday 7:30-4 Tues-Fri 7:30-5 w/mandatory 30 minute lunch 44 hours working 46.5 hours at work with lunchtime

Equals out to 80 hours working every two weeks

I use to work a lot of overtime. I learned business doesn't thank you and when you are really sick and thinking about life, the first thing that comes to mind is how much you'll miss your family and zero thinking about work. I quit working overtime after that.

Probably an average just over 40. Wish it was the good old days when I got a lot more hours. I got the same job I had 10 years ago but only making about 2/3 the money I did. Probably make 5 dollars more an hour but a lot less overtime.

I am in my 3rd year of teaching the same grade. I have whittled my work week down from 60+ to 48.

As many as I can get! I'm considered full time, but I'm lucky if I get scheduled for 34-35 hours a week normally. I have to trade shifts for longer hours, pick up 6th and even 7th days when they're available, or extra shifts in other roles outside of my regular job. I'd get a second job if I didn't have to have open availability. I have a lot of debt to pay off in addition to regular bills.

The firm I work for has a rule about overtime, you can't work more than 60 hours in one week That means on most weeks only one shift of overtime and no more than two on others.

I'm a teacher and average maybe 50? Depends on the week and how many meetings I have scheduled and what's due.

I average about 42 hours per week. My husband works a minimum of 60 hours. He is salary and doesn't have set hours. He typically works from 6am-6pm but is technically on call 24/7 so there's many times he will be at work until 9pm or work the entire weekend. Thankfully it's been pretty quiet the last few weeks.

About 31 total
Job a (law office) monday-wednesday 9-2
Job b (massage). Friday and saturday 2-8 (plus 1 hour commute each way)

I love my schedule and freedom. I did work 40++ hours for 20 years, including late nights, weekends, working from hme and CONSTANT phne calls for the law office. Cannot imagine doing a 9-5 typle job any longer

Over the year it equates to 37.5 hrs a week, but due to shifts its sometime 48+ other weeks its less but being an EMT we don't tend to finish on time. In my job there is no work life balance due to shifts being all over the place.

I work 40 hours a week. I work for a large insurance company and although OT is offered quite often, I chose not to work it. I have been in this business for most of my adult life and am at a point now where my family and time for myself is more important.
My questions for others are do you want to work longer hours or so you do it because you feel you have to due to staffing issues? Also are you exempt from OT?

I'm director of a school-aged childcare program, I usually work 25-35 hours per week. Lately I've been having to pick up continuing ed hours on Saturdays and I resent losing that time with my kids, though I know my situation could be lots worse so I try to stay positive about it and appreciate how flexible my job is. Plus, I get to bring one of my kids to work with me which is awesome!

40 hrs. Sometimes OT is asked for and then I'll put in 45.
Otherwise it's a strict 40 hrs and no more.
I'd love to drop to 32hrs but I don't because I know it's my retirement savings that will see less $.

I work 40 hours a week. I work for a large insurance company and although OT is offered quite often, I chose not to work it. I have been in this business for most of my adult life and am at a point now where my family and time for myself is more important.
My questions for others are do you want to work longer hours or so you do it because you feel you have to due to staffing issues? Also are you exempt from OT?

I'm exempt, so I do my best to avoid OT. It's not always possible. When I've been hourly, I typically took every available hour I could get.

Salaried office manager at our church. But I work 38-44 hours a week depending on work, time of year, evening meetings, etc. No overtime is paid, but I take an hour or 2 where needed myself/family to comp for the hours I am there over 40. And I sometimes work authorized holidays, but take a different day if it works better. I only took a week of vacation last year and pushed one to this year. Lots of big family events this year and I can use that week this year with my other 2 weeks.

I am the only full-time person and the one there Mon-Fri.

I do have some flexibility for appointments , etc. and try to leave at 12 on Fridays. One of the perks of the job.

Last edited:
36.5 hrs per week Monday-Friday. I work on flexi-time, and clock in and out, and if I work any time over that our manager encourages us to claim that time back (up to the limit - which I NEVER hit). I use all of my annual leave each year.
I feel like I've got a good work life balance. I'm not on mega-bucks, but I earn enough.
I get encouraged occasionally to apply for the next step up the ladder, but I'm not interested as it comes with an expectation of longer working hours, despite only being salaried for 36.5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter