worried about the rain - I know - but please help

Just figure out what you're going to need to get comfortable when you get wet. Whether that's ponchos, umbrellas, shoes & socks, just plan on getting wet and dealing with it. Someone upthread mentioned Croc's, I've found them to be slippery on wet surfaces but that could just be me.
They are dangerously slippery when wet. Seen some serious rump busting from folks wearing Crocs in the rain. I predict anyone who wears them will regret it. Unless you step VERY carefully.

Chaco's, Teva's, Merril's, Keen's any shoes made for wading in the creek, those are what you wear.

They are dangerously slippery when wet. Seen some serious rump busting from folks wearing Crocs in the rain. I predict anyone who wears them will regret it. Unless you step VERY carefully.

Chaco's, Teva's, Merril's, Keen's any shoes made for wading in the creek, those are what you wear.

Thanks Angi! I wasn't going to say it (because I like Crocs') but I've taken some tumbles in them on wet surfaces at home and at WDW. The worst was one morning at the Boardwalk when either it had just rained or they had hose it down. I was wearing Croc's and it was like walking on greased glass. I didn't fall because DW was holding me up like I was a little old man. I mean, I AM one now, but this was 20 years ago;)

I will echo the sentiments of others. The last time our entire vacation was Disney (we've stopped for a day or 2 after a beach vacation since) was during tropical storm Andrea, and it was pretty miserable if I'm honest. I thought, "lightning can't strike twice, right?" But I'm getting really nervous it might. During Andrea, multiple days of our trip were torrential downpours, shutting down rides and waterparks. All with 3 kids in tow. Yes, we made the best of it, but it was a huge bummer then and it will be a huge bummer now. We are spending a lot of money on this trip and started planning 9 months in advance. Up at 6 a.m. to make dining reservations at 180 days. Up again to make FP+ at 60 days. Time spent tweaking things, now one of my best friends who lives in Florida is meeting us for the last few days of our trip. I'm going to have a really hard time making lemonade if this happens again. I think I will be done with Disney at this time of year, and there really aren't many other choices since we have kids in school and don't like to take them out. That only leaves Christmas break and Spring break which are very expensive, very crowded times to visit. :(
I feel ya' - and I totally understand. Happened to me one time with a late Jan early Feb trip. It was a 4 day trip and the first 3 were AWFUL - all day rain. The last day was great - perfect even - but guess what? I got sick. Some things are just out of our control. That was 3 years ago and the previous 2 year trips have yielded FANTASTIC weather. In fact, one was memorial week and it was hot and dry - i mean HOT like 95+ every day. That doesn't bother me ... in fact, rain doesn't bother me unless it's all day soaker. I always expect rain in the spring/summer in Florida but the typical pop ups, not monsoons. Oh well - just gotta keep checking the weather.

I love my Keens. I wear them all summer long and it rains a lot here. Never had an issue.

We are semi-local and went last night - MK was super fun but it was barely above a drizzle most of the time and not even worth putting a rain jacket on for.

I think shoes are the most important piece for those packing for rainy days. It will make or break your experience. Just like anyplace, there are portions of the sidewalk that will puddle (often quickly) and you will end up walking through near-ankle deep water. I wore these and they are my new favorite. Incredibly comfortable to wear on a sunny day and worked fantastic in rain. No slipping and dried quickly: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072T369KT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

We love these ponchos - they button up, so you're not yanking it over your head, and they are not hot and sticky like the cheap ones. I also carry a nylon string bag and just roll them up and shove them in. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073YFP3XV/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nothing closed last night because it was just rain, not storms. We rode Mine Train & Big Thunder and once you get going, you don't feel the light rain as much ;)

I am seriously getting disappointed about our upcoming trip. We've been plenty of times, but this is my son's graduation trip and his GF's first trip, and we are booked at the Poly with the intentions of having lots of down time at the pool. I can put on the ponchos and deal with it in the parks, but I'll be so bummed if this weather pattern affects our pool time. Was hoping for a slow pace trip with lots of time hanging at the resort pool, but the rain will really put a damper on that. Was also planning for a waterpark day. We arrive late Thursday night/ early Friday morning and are staying till June 2. Was hoping this weather event would have been over by now.

I'm going to be honest here. Rain almost broke me last year. All day soakers. It was my daughter's graduation trip. We hadn't been in a few years and scrimped like mad to take her. I'm not sure the sun actually ever came out. And the lighter crowds promised here by the rains? NEVER happened. EVERYONE Stayed. Like 100 minute waits for small world. How can people go back and do nothing when they've spent so much money and it's going to rain the entire week? The only non-downpour rain times were first thing in the am (rope drop and about the next hour) and LATE nights. I had a breakdown. Cried like a baby outside of the seas while we were smooshed with a billion other wet people hoping the torrent would let up enough to walk. The best you can do sometimes is hope they let you ride people mover a few times in a row. My youngest and DH went back and swam late, because that's when it wasn't raining, and grad DD and I got a Starbucks and watched the castle change colors. That's the best memory I have of the trip. MK was the best in the rain, because of the covered queues and the proximity of everything. Epcot was evil and we skipped DHS. Got in several good hours at AK. My heart goes out to all of you, it truly does. It is a LOT of money, time, and hope.

We bought the Disney store ponchos because the dollar store ones ripped, but they were invaluable at giving us dry places to sit when spread on wet benches in rare moments between showers.

Don't bother with hair and makeup, wear ball caps to keep rain off your face. Braids and ponytails are your friends.

We gave in to the whining for 5 minutes, let everybody vent, remembered where we were, we were blessed to be together and then trudged ahead.

Pixie dust to everyone!!

I'm going to be honest here. Rain almost broke me last year. All day soakers. It was my daughter's graduation trip. We hadn't been in a few years and scrimped like mad to take her. I'm not sure the sun actually ever came out. And the lighter crowds promised here by the rains? NEVER happened. EVERYONE Stayed. Like 100 minute waits for small world. How can people go back and do nothing when they've spent so much money and it's going to rain the entire week? The only non-downpour rain times were first thing in the am (rope drop and about the next hour) and LATE nights. I had a breakdown. Cried like a baby outside of the seas while we were smooshed with a billion other wet people hoping the torrent would let up enough to walk. The best you can do sometimes is hope they let you ride people mover a few times in a row. My youngest and DH went back and swam late, because that's when it wasn't raining, and grad DD and I got a Starbucks and watched the castle change colors. That's the best memory I have of the trip. MK was the best in the rain, because of the covered queues and the proximity of everything. Epcot was evil and we skipped DHS. Got in several good hours at AK. My heart goes out to all of you, it truly does. It is a LOT of money, time, and hope.

We bought the Disney store ponchos because the dollar store ones ripped, but they were invaluable at giving us dry places to sit when spread on wet benches in rare moments between showers.

Don't bother with hair and makeup, wear ball caps to keep rain off your face. Braids and ponytails are your friends.

We gave in to the whining for 5 minutes, let everybody vent, remembered where we were, we were blessed to be together and then trudged ahead.

Pixie dust to everyone!!
Thanks for sharing your experiencex

Pixie dust to everyone!!
Thanks for sharing your story @flipflop mom. We don't leave until June 1, but it has been raining alot in Ohio so I am watching WDW. No matter what happens...You got it right. I would rather be in Disney

Pixie dust to everyone!!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the rain. It has been raining here in OH quite a bit. When it comes down to it, I would rather be in the rain at Disney than home any day!

I'm just blessed that I can cancel my trip and rearrange without worry. Buddy pass for the flight - staying with a friend. I feel for those who have scrimped and saved and planned and have to deal with this.

I'm just blessed that I can cancel my trip and rearrange without worry. Buddy pass for the flight - staying with a friend. I feel for those who have scrimped and saved and planned and have to deal with this.

i agree with this. We've been over 20 times and I am normally in the camp of put on the ponchos and keep going. For us this is a special trip and I cannot rearrange since I rented a friend's DVC points and my son and his GF start college not long after we get back. It is what it is, and we will make the best of it. It's still super disappointing to have a special resort booked with intentions of spending most middays at the pool and to have a slow paced relaxing trip. Nothing relaxing about being wet all day everyday! But we will roll with the punches, not much else we can do. Even tho I am dying just a little inside. LOL

Aside from lost time at the pool, I'm not sure what the problem with rain is. Storms sure but not rain. And this is just rain (we have the same potential forecast for home, same system moving through here, if it comes to past)
Parks remain open and fully operational. Only ride that doesn't run in plain old rain is TT. Everything else runs like normal.
So we are backing off our planned pool time and having a back up plan in place for that, right now. Otherwise, we are going on with business as usual.
Only way rain changes our park plans is we have rain gear on. Be prepared and it's not bad. Being unprepared it is. But you are all ready to be prepared, not caught unawares.
Splashing in puddles, when you have on water ready shoes, is really fun. Give it a try sometime. I bet when you where a kid you loved to do it. Be a kid again, after all, you are AT Disney ;)

I get there on Monday and I am prepared for wet but unsure how much we will see. Best advice I have for people heading out is prepare for the worst but when you are checking the weather at random to see if it’s gotten any better check accuweather not weather channel, I don’t know how accurate it is but it’s was less depressing.

Our weather man this morning said even a 50 mile difference in the track of the front will make a significant difference in the amount of rain this system brings, and where it brings is. That's why it's impossible for them to say right now how much rain anyone will get. They can't predict the path that closely yet. May not ever get it closer than 50 miles, which is why sometimes, even the day of the amount of predicted rain never comes to pass.

I will add that even though our forecast for last week was similar, there were still a lot of times of full sun, so much that we got sunburned. But we did get time at the pool also, which I was not expecting. There's hope for some breaks in the rain that you can get some pool time in.

Our weather man this morning said even a 50 mile difference in the track of the front will make a significant difference in the amount of rain this system brings, and where it brings is. That's why it's impossible for them to say right now how much rain anyone will get. They can't predict the path that closely yet. May not ever get it closer than 50 miles, which is why sometimes, even the day of the amount of predicted rain never comes to pass.
I get what you're saying I really do - I can deal with the typical Florida thunderstorms but all day rain would depress me... I like to walk around and take everything in and enjoy the outdoors... I even purposely go to places to take walks and soak it all in (i.e., Epcot resort area, Poly, Coronado, etc). It's my thing. But, I enjoy the parks too... some rain, fine but all day rain I can't deal. However, it sounds like this isn't written in stone yet. So we will see. I'm hoping this sucker veers off course about 100 miles and stays the heck away. I'm gonna' keep watchin!!!! I'm very lucky - I can decide up until the last minute if I'm going and no $$ lost.

Weather Channel headline: "Invest 90L Will Bring Heavy Rain Threat to Gulf Coast, Florida into Memorial Day Weekend Regardless of Tropical or Subtropical Development"

https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...sture-southeast-late-may-memorial-day-weekend
Will bring threat, LOL. Way to be wishy washy.
Weather speak for "we don't know just yet"
Called covering your butt
Yes, there is a threat.
But listen to it.
Still lots of coulds be and maybes in that.
Still do not know.
Yet.
There is a threat there without a doubt
Still can move west.

Will bring threat, LOL. Way to be wishy washy.
Weather speak for "we don't know just yet"
Called covering your butt
Yes, there is a threat.
But listen to it.
Still lots of coulds be and maybes in that.
Still do not know.
Yet.
There is a threat there without a doubt
Still can move west.

Still don't want to drive up to WDW in heavy rain on the turnpike - that is my concern.

Plus even if it moves west, FL will be on the wet side of a tropical area. If you don't care about POSSIBLY being wet in the parks - no problem.

Last edited:
Just got back from WDW. I too was stressed, bummed, anxious, etc when I saw the weather forecasts for last week. I was used to pop up quick storms but was worried about this storm system bringing all day rain. I came armed with small umbrellas, ponchos from Target, proper footwear, and hoped for the best. It was NOT as bad as feared. We had plenty of days that the sun was fully out, Times when a sprinkle passed, and some times of downpours. We survived lol. I used the accuweather app and checked it multiple times each day because it might say rain is starting in 20min but the clouds move and it’ll change to 90min and so on. Only once were we caught in a downpour as we got off of Frozen so we hung out in the gift shop (on the floor in a corner) and another night the rain changed our plans to go walk around Disney Springs. The most annoying part was soaked feet. Even in my Teva flip flops it got old fast. We used umbrellas every time, the ponchos were used also if the rain would be falling for a while. Our day at DHS, it rained for a while. We used that time to eat at backlot Express, went on star tours, and watched Indiana Jones. We even got to see Fantasmic that night.

Check accuweather the night before and again when you wake up. A lot of times the rain would start in the afternoon. Get to the parks early, get your sun-time in, get all your sunny pictures done, ride the outside rides, etc. just in case it rains or is overcast later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter