Would You Work If You Didn't Have To?

I would probably still do my job, but on a volunteer basis part-time. I hate getting up early and hate evening rush hour traffic. So I'd go in late and come home early 2-3 days/week.

If it happened right now, I would keep working for the time being, partly because there are people depending on me, and partly because I do better with some sort of schedule. I already only work part time, and it suits me:

When I have enough free time, I am creative and productive. But when I have too much, I tend to get lazy and procrastinate.

(Now if we're talking winning huge amounts in the lottery or something, I think I would eventually start a school, which would take a lot of work. But I would take it slow and make sure I had help!)

Assume you have enough income to live comfortably but you could still work. Would you?

A few months ago, Dan Aykroyd was in town hawking his vodka. It was a Friday night and a long way from his home. I can't imagine he needs the money, and it struck me that I probably wouldn't be working. That's what he was doing...

I wouldn't necessarily equate vodka with work...someone paying me to imbibe in their product is heaven.

No,I'd have to have something to keep me occupied for part of the time.However,if I won the lottery,I don't think I'd stay where I am,unless I could keep my mouth shut.Otherwise,you'd always be getting the stinkeye from people who HAVE to work.

May I ask what is your job?

Sure, I work for an insurance company. A big one. Can't say which one due to their social media policies. In my specific position (plan set up) we are slammed during open enrollment like Oct - Jan but it's very quiet the rest of the year. I always complain during those 4-5 months since it's insanely busy but then remember this time of year and wonder why I would do anything else

I think I would still work. Right now I watch my grandson during the week, so that keeps me busy for now.

Probably. Only freelance and I'd be choosy, but still, yes.

Actually, I might even work more, because if money was no object there's a small business idea I'd love to pursue that I think would be a great addition to my community. If I were independently wealthy and it didn't represent a risk to the family's economic wellbeing I'd give it a shot.

I actually don't have to work I was elegible to retire 9 years ago and can walk out the door any day I please with a awesome pension, I am just not ready to retire yet, I am not yet 50 and I am not ready.

I retired the day I was eligible, so heck no!

I will start doing some volunteer work soon though (will spend about 15 hours/month).

OP here. I retired at 59.5 from the public school system. DW, who is 4 years younger than I am, works at the local hospital. She provides medical insurance for us through her job, and doesn't mind working. She had stayed home with the kids. My reaction not to have to work has been different than I expected. I'm watching grandkids a couple days a week so that my DIL can do some freelance cleaning, and that's my priority. But it's been difficult to change that mindset of going to work every day.

If I had the money, I'd have rental properties and be a silent partner in other people's business ventures. Then I'd take those 30 day cruises.

Yes. I love my job, and I'd want to keep doing it at least 20-30 hours a week, 9 months a year. For my particular job, I that would be a very feasible schedule if I could afford to work that little.

I would be happy to give up my current job in a heartbeat! But even with all the money I needed I would still do something, help where I could.

OP here. I retired at 59.5 from the public school system. DW, who is 4 years younger than I am, works at the local hospital. She provides medical insurance for us through her job, and doesn't mind working. She had stayed home with the kids. My reaction not to have to work has been different than I expected. I'm watching grandkids a couple days a week so that my DIL can do some freelance cleaning, and that's my priority. But it's been difficult to change that mindset of going to work every day.

I'm spending more time with our granddaughter too - I pick her up from day care once/week and can go to her school for special functions too.

I was surprised how quickly I adjusted to not having to go to work. I came to loathe Mondays, so on Sunday night, there is a quick minute when I dread what's to come - until I remember I don't have to go to work - and I smile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter