WWYD: Selling our car - 2001 VW Jetta - Need Advise

Tink113

DIS Veteran
We are working on selling our 2001 VW Jetta. We listed our car on Craig's List and decided to lower the price by $500.00 (because we thought it may need some servicing). We have a buyer that is interested & just had the car checked out this morning.

Here's the problem. The mechanic said that the car should have the front and rear brakes replaced & (drum roll please) the Timing belt, Water Pump, and drive belt will need to be replaced. He said that none of these are major issues, just routine stuff. He also said that the car is is very good condition. Total repairs would be around $1,300.00

Before listing the car to sell, we replaced all (4) tires. Got the oil and filter changed. Got the car Safety & Emissions Inspected. And... we have replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor ( $215 part, no labor because DH's bro is a mechanic). So we have recently put about $700 into the car.

The car is a 2001 4 door with 92,000 miles on it.

My question is, what should we do about the repairs. Should we offer to split the cost of repairs? Should we stick with our current price or maybe go down a couple hundred? I don't feel comfortable taking $1,300.00 of the price of the car since we have already lowered it $500 and spent $700 on it!

if you were the buyer, what would you expect?

nevermind. I misunderstood.

I think I would fix the brakes. Just in case, then no one can blame you for a safety issue, should something bad happen - even if you sell it as is, where is.

I think the car may need the work. Since it has 92K & we hadn't done the 90,000 mile service. But, my question is, if the car does need the work.... what should we do?

Since you lowered the price $500 I would say the car is as is. You didn't say what your asking price is so I really don't know if it is over what the value is on the car or not.

I would never buy a car without having my mechanic check it anyway, so I would just assume buyers would get it checked out themselves.

Dawn

Since you lowered the price $500 I would say the car is as is. You didn't say what your asking price is so I really don't know if it is over what the value is on the car or not.

The asking price was $6,500.00 & we dropped it down to $6,000.00.

Kelly Blue Book gives the following for "Private party Sales"
Excellent $6,970

Good $6,405

Fair $5,655

the Timing belt, Water Pump, and drive belt will need to be replaced. He said that none of these are major issues, just routine stuff. He also said that the car is is very good condition. Total repairs would be around $1,300.00

My question is, what should we do about the repairs. Should we offer to split the cost of repairs? Should we stick with our current price or maybe go down a couple hundred? I don't feel comfortable taking $1,300.00 of the price of the car since we have already lowered it $500 and spent $700 on it!

As a buyer, if someone told me the timing belt needed to be replaced I would run the other direction! If the timing belt breaks you are looking at over $2000 worth of work on a car.

I looked at the maintenance schedule for a 2001 Jetta and replacing the timing belt is not part of the "routine" service, so I would have it checked by your mechanic. If it needs to be replaced because it's wearing down/about to break, then fix it. If the mechanic just said that b/c timing belts are usually changed out every 100k then skip it. Have it checked out by your mechanic before you go any further.

Timing belt must be done at 100,000 km for a Jetta (Sorry, I don't know what this in miles)

My water pump failed at 200,000 km

Sorry, I wouldn't spend $6k for a car and then put $1300 into it. For that amount of money I would expect little, if anything would need to be done to it. If it needs $1300 worth of work I would say its in fair condition and see if you can sell it for that price, as is.

I'd lower it to 5500 and sell it as is. I am in the market for a new used car and I wouldn't spend $6000 on a car that I had to put another 1300 into, sorry.

It is unethical to sell something when you suspect, let alone know, it needs repairs, unless you disclose what the needed repairs might be (or are).

Could you fix the car up and keep using it yourself?

If someone were to ask me about buying a used car, I would suggest not only having it checked by a mechanic but also test driving it and observing that it actually performs perfectly on the spot. Finally check everything, including being sure the windows roll up and down properly.

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I would offer to pay half of the upcoming maintanance and write that and as is on the bill of sale! You want to get rid of the car and have a happy customer! I look at it as win win. I know as a seller it is hard to lower the price but it is a used car and to find another buyer may be hard...just sell it and either lower the price by 400-500 as if you are really nice! It is a used car and anything could happen...we just were going to sell our used car with 82,000...now we are up for 3,600 in repairs! you just never know! that is why I say just let it go! :) just fyi the auction prices of your car....at the last Mannheim auto auction (this the the big auto auction that the cream ofthe crop autos are sold on the east coast..dealers use these prices to figure trade in values...often they are hooked up llive to the auctions...black book prices are based on these prices as well).... the more miles the less you would get from any dealer. Good luck@

local auction price of your car..
2001 JETTA GLS 4G 4DSN A PS PB AC SR 78,619 BLUE $5,800

2001 JETTA GLS 4G SW4D A SR 76,889 BLACK $5,200

2001 JETTA GLS 6G 4DSN 5 85,810 GREEN $5,000

Hubby just purchased a 2001 Jetta GLS 4 door for $400. Keep it mind it was on the verge of being declared totaled.

Anyway, got a letter from PA Department of Revenue questioning the purchase price. They listed on the paper a fair market value of $6,300.00.

Of course they want extra money or a bill of sale. Little do they know the shape it was in...almost totaled. I will gladly provide the bill of sale and pictures of the car if they'd like that as well.

I'd say definately lower the price...

Year ago I had a car with a cracked engine block. I knew it had a cracked engine block. I knew I owed $500 on it. I knew the car was worth about $2000 if you replaced the engine - which you could - if you were handy - get from a junkyard for $600 and replace yourself. But it was going to cost me $2000 to have the engine replaced.

I told all this to the guy I sold the car to for $500. He had his son replace the engine - they got a great deal.

Upshot, if you disclose the issues with the car, you might be able to sell it for what you want - someone may be willing to put in the work themselves. If it doesn't sell, lower the price. But do disclose the issues.

That's considered high mileage for a 2001. Are you selling the car "as is"? If so, you don't have to do any repairs and you don't have to disclose anything. Now, if asked about specifics, you should ethically volunteer the info.

My son works for CarMax. They and most dealers and banks do not use Kelly Blue Book. They are not a good indicator of value. There are other ways to get a good idea of what it should cost. There are things that affect value-mileage, what shape the body is in, has it ever been in an accident, model, among others.

I think your price is too high. Considering mileage and the work that you know needs to be done, you are overpriced. Also, you can't price a car based on repairs you have done. Most are considered normal maintenance repairs.

Is it a sedan? Wagon? Most used cars are in average shape so that means your price will not be the highest possible.

We are working on selling our 2001 VW Jetta. We listed our car on Craig's List and decided to lower the price by $500.00 (because we thought it may need some servicing). We have a buyer that is interested & just had the car checked out this morning.

Here's the problem. The mechanic said that the car should have the front and rear brakes replaced & (drum roll please) the Timing belt, Water Pump, and drive belt will need to be replaced. He said that none of these are major issues, just routine stuff. He also said that the car is is very good condition. Total repairs would be around $1,300.00

Before listing the car to sell, we replaced all (4) tires. Got the oil and filter changed. Got the car Safety & Emissions Inspected. And... we have replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor ( $215 part, no labor because DH's bro is a mechanic). So we have recently put about $700 into the car.

The car is a 2001 4 door with 92,000 miles on it.

I'd do the timing belt only and front brakes and keep the price the same. Mechanics always suggest replacing the water pump too because you have to remove the timing belt to replace the water pump. But the timing belt is not as expensive--maybe $400 including labor. Showing someone that the timing belt has just been replaced will help sell the car.

The timing belt and water pump are routine maintenence items.

Unless the water pump is leaking, it just needs to be replaced because of the service interval. If it had failed, you'd be overheating and leaking coolant.

Anyhow, I'd lower the price of the car and let the buyer get it done at their mechanic.

Your other option is to trade it in, wait for another buyer, or fix it yourself.

Just to mention, you'll never see maintenence or repair money added to the value of the car. That line of thinking is inherently flawed.

Upgrading a kitchen and bathroom in a home is far different from keeping a car running.

A dealership doesn't care about if it's been maintained, just that it runs and drives. Kelly Blue Book is not a good indicator of value (esp. for a VW. 2001's are expensive to maintain compared to other cars in that class for that model year).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter