You are never to old to be a kid again at Universal.....Nana’s solo trip....kind of live from Universal Orlando and elsewhere in the Universe.

Glad I found this trip report! (Great pictures...) Heading to Orlando on Monday, too! Universal for the first time in forever on Tuesday! Can't wait! Anyone been to Mythos or Finnegans lately?

Robbie thanks for the info and pics and including the menu for confisco

I’ll hit that place for lunch Monday

Hey! Mac :wave2:

Your very welcome. Food was delicious at Confisco.

Glad I found this trip report! (Great pictures...) Heading to Orlando on Monday, too! Universal for the first time in forever on Tuesday! Can't wait! Anyone been to Mythos or Finnegans lately?

Hi :wave2: Disbug so glad you are enjoying the trip report. Welcome back to Universal. You will have a great time.

I had lunch at Mytho’s Friday. Food was very good.

Loving the pictures as usual!
Seuss Landing is one of my favorite lands! I like it so much better than Fantasyland at MK especially when decorated for Christmas!

Hi! Monyk :wave2: I like Seuss Landing too. It’s so colorful and fun.

I love the one on one trips with your grandkids. Have done a few of those with my girls (son hasn't been super interested- he used to get super anxious about new stuff) Now that they are both off to college/grad school it will get harder.

I had a very wise lady tell me many years ago that we never get a second chance to make memories with our children and grandchildren. I’am so glad I took her advice. I have loved every minute of the time we have spent together in the parks. It was time and money well spent. I will continue to make memories with them as long as they want to hang out with me (Nana).

The wise lady was my baby sister. She is in her 50’s now, but she is still my baby sis to me.

I wonder if they will keep the AP dining areas past the Appreciation Days...

I will ask and get back to you.

Wednesday, September 30th continued

Off to Marvel Super Hero Island I went after lunch.

Doctor Dooms Fear Fall
110CC060-A8E2-4A53-B87A-A781D53A8BDE.jpeg

Spider-man is one of my favorites.
418CECA6-2E9A-4753-8A69-14BD94F74DC3.jpeg

0D4550CE-6923-4951-A549-510095E8519D.jpeg

People seem to really be into collecting these Funko Pops. They have a nice selection.
E5975B30-30A0-4F51-80B6-6C3507499C63.jpeg

They have a nice selection of backpacks and wallets.
0ED58516-67EB-4C81-AA09-A7013412FCF2.jpeg

849F84CD-937B-4ED2-9609-FAC5455CFB41.jpeg

0A5F6FAA-1673-430F-97B2-713E105E254B.jpeg

Super Hero’s out for a wave.
9A74D723-8EF5-42BC-ADE3-CBA3877DEE23.jpeg

889FD44A-F3D3-4248-AFAE-9C8607C43752.jpeg

Last edited:

FYI you will get good and wet on these rides. When I’am with the grandkids. We have always left these two rides to just before we leave the parks. So we are not walking around wet all day. 10543856-549A-4D9D-B92C-23A6CFE0E59C.jpeg

Dudley Doo-Right’s Ripsaw Falls
71AD3282-9136-44D1-81D3-ADC2844E4775.jpeg

7331DB93-7CAA-49A9-AC48-8B6BD68EB072.jpeg

Now I was on my way to the last ride of the day

Kong
AE48705F-840E-407B-9CC2-F7BBD601D5DE.jpeg

I really like this ride. At the very end take your glasses off and look at the King himself. The animatronics are fabulous.

7387C0A7-502E-47DE-A252-95416AA1A601.jpeg
River Adventure is fun to. You will get wet on this ride too, but not as soaked as Ripsaw Falls and Popeye & Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges

I Walked through Jurassic Park area onto Hogsmeade and out of IOA to the water taxi.

It was a full day and I was ready for shower and a nap.

Later in the evening I received a text from Lynne and we met up for a boat ride over to CityWalk and had coffee and a muffin at Starbucks. It was a beautiful evening with a nice breeze.

Then back to the resort we parted ways and I headed to my room for a great sleep.

Last edited:
Thursday, October 1st

I had decided before I left for my trip to purchase a one day ticket to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios.

Today was the Magic Kingdom day.

The park opened at 9 am so I wanted to be there as soon as park opening as possible because the park closed at 5 pm.

The last 2 times I was at Magic Kingdom was in 2016 with my younger sister and niece and last year with my older sister. Both times was during MNSSHP. They are all big Disney fans.

I had heard about the new paint job on the castle and was looking forward to seeing it up close.

I had seen Tim Trackers blog of lightning striking one of the Castle spires. It was both frightening and interesting. The sound was deafening.
AC762BCD-A4AD-4D6D-9F00-B88E08E39862.jpeg

46D00A51-1BF4-4635-AF1A-16140AA9F15A.jpeg

46CC31C7-FBDA-4F9A-A2EA-D3EA7E6A895E.jpeg

Inside the Castle archway 695555D3-D65E-4035-86A3-0E16E448A7E2.jpeg

12570301-2924-40D2-87A2-337F98148967.jpeg

96F80FF7-67F5-4D7F-89DB-E4D13E80B865.jpeg

The Castle is very striking up close. The dark blue spires really stand out. When up close the pink, blue and gold all work. It is impressive.

There were limited Halloween decorations up, nothing like MNSSHP.

DE939D02-0938-4A84-9B1B-C12D94AF4C13.jpeg

I walked through Main Street Confectionery. They sell candy, cupcakes and cookies. The cupcakes and cookies are big and could easily be shared by two. If you were just sampling with family even quartered pieces of a few would be sufficient. Oh and they were beautiful to look at.

C48C1B95-C138-47DA-81C3-F8D132EEB77E.jpeg

1E834882-62C6-4FF0-AC97-4C50002DEF1A.jpeg

8044B636-A0DC-4CAD-B05A-ECFE42503D34.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 529506
I LOVE EVERYTHING POTTER.......THANK YOU JK AND UNIVERSAL.

Welcome friends :wave2:

A little background information here.

I’am a retired RN and I loved my job. After a couple of joint replacements it was time to sadly say goodbye to my career in Nursing and retire. Once a Nurse always a Nurse. My older sister and younger sister are also Nurses.

I’am married to a wonderful man. We have the best time laughing together and enjoying life in general. As the years have rolled by and our hair has grayed ( I color mine LOL) ......He seems more handsome to me everyday. It’s funny how we look at each other sometime and say it only seems like yesterday we were married. He is the love of my life.

I started vacationing with our two youngest grandchildren many moons ago. We started doing split stays initially between WDW and Universal and then we exclusively made Universal Orlando our destination every May at the end of school.

It was my way of having fun one on one time with my grandchildren. I highly recommend it to all grandparents. It has been a great joy to me to spend time having fun with them at the parks.

M graduated with her MBA in December and just got engaged. P is Junior now and is the varsity center for his high school football team. Sadly like others I had to cancel trip with grandson to Universal in May do to Covid.

My wonderful husband knows what a kid at heart I’am and he has been supportive of my vacations with the grandchildren as well as my solo trips to my happy place USO.

My husband and I are older. I’am over 60. He is not interested in the parks anymore, but understands my need to getaway for some me time to my happy place.

While I’am here I just let the world stay outside and the little kid come out and enjoy herself. No cooking, no cleaning no grocery store runs, just fun.

I feel I need to touch on the Covid crisis a bit. As this has affected so many. I know that there have been many touched my this tragic virus. Whether it has caused you to have to cancel a trip of a lifetime or you have lost a love one like our family did.

There are many people in the parks and hotel Industry that have lost their jobs or been furloughed do to the changing economics that have been caused by the virus. It has been hard for everyone.

Things will eventually get better. We are all in this together hang in there.

I have never owned a sewing machine before and when Covid started heavy here in the States back in February I decided to start making masks and give them away. I have perfected a design of my own and have shared them with family, friends, schools and hospitals. It was my way of contributing in some small way to help others. I finished a batch of smaller children size character masks before I left for this trip. I hope it brings a smile to the faces of all the children who wear them. They were Potter character masks, Minions and Marvel Super Hero’s and NASA masks.

I believe we can all do our part in someway to help each other.

I have been attending HHN since 2016. I was so sad it was cancelled this year, but understand the need to do so by Universal. That being said Universal has tried to add some HHN touches here to help.

SOLO TRIPS TO UNIVERSAL ORLANDO

I have seen a few posts by folks on the boards asking about solo travel here on the boards.

Solo travel here is easy, safe and fun. I have had the pleasure of meeting a few people here on my vacations from the Disboards. They are other ladies like myself who travel here solo for a break from their jobs etc...just to be a kid and enjoy the parks.

The parks and resorts are secure and safe. You have to go through security screening (bags are sent through X-ray machine) before entering CityWalk from the garages, before getting on boats to leave from the Resorts to go to parks etc.

There are security people in the parks and at the Resorts.

So your thinking WoW that’s a lot of security......not at all.......they are there if you are looking for them, but they are not distractingly obvious.

Eating at the restaurants is not an issue solo.

Riding rides is not an issue solo.

Just go and have a good time.

COVID PRECAUTIONS

I have seen a number of questions on the boards about how Universal Orlando is handling Covid precautions.

The answer is.........they are doing a wonderful job.

When you check into the Resorts there is someone stationed at the door once inside that checks your temperature and you are given a wrist band designating you have been checked. The color of the bands change everyday. If you remove your band and try entering the resort for instance after returning from the parks you will have your temperature checked again and will be issued another wrist band.

Everyone is required to wear a mask.

There is hand sanitizer located everywhere for you to use.

In the parks there is a TM that squirts a small amount of hand sanitizer in your hand before you get on the rides and there are hand sanitizer dispensers for you to use after the rides.

There are blue lined markings on the ground at the rides and water taxis to help people stand the appropriate distance apart.

There are TM’s with signs in the parks making sure folks are wearing their masks appropriately.

On the water taxi’s every other bench is empty. They have plenty of boats running to accommodate seating less people on the boats.

On the rides they are spacing you far enough apart.

On Hogwarts Express families are seated together in their train compartments and if you are solo you go in one by yourself.

There are plenty of designated areas that have been set aside for you to go and remove your mask for a break. Inside these areas are TM’s cleaning tables and chairs after you leave.

There are plenty of characters out in the parks, but they are on stage mostly. There are designated areas marked area on the ground were you can stand for selfies with the characters in the background.

Universal is doing a wonderful job of doing everything they can do to make sure your vacation here is as safe as possible. This Retired RN is very impressed with the measures they have taken.

Now onto the trip report

Tuesday......September 29th

Yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check in day.

View attachment 529537

My usual home away from home Resort is Portofino Bay. We all have our favorites. I also like staying at Sapphire Falls, but they are both closed. So I changed my plans to stay at Royal Pacific. I have stayed here before and it is a beautiful Resort. I’am so glad I had the opportunity to stay here again.

I haven’t stayed here since the remodel and they did a wonderful job. It’s beautiful.

Some pics of Orchid Lounge

View attachment 529541

View attachment 529542

View attachment 529543

Check in was a breeze. Masks are required everywhere unless you are eating and drinking or are in your room. As I noted above you have your temperature checked at the door on your arrival and you are given a colored paper wrist bracelet to put on. Then you go to check in desk. There is plexiglass between you and desk staff. Hand sanitizer is on the counters for your use.

There are no bellmen to help with your bags. There are plenty carts for you to use to transport your luggage if needed. You are able to pull your vehicle up in the front under the covered loading areas to unload and load your luggage conveniently.

On check in a nice young man named Nicholas was very kind and helpful. My room was ready shortly and I went up and got settled in.

While you are here the maids will not enter your room. You place used towels and bagged garbage outside your door and it is collected every morning.

The hallways are clean, the rooms are spotless.

If you need additional towels etc....all you have to do is call Star services on your room phone and they are put in bags and delivered outside your door.

The maids will not enter your room until you check out. Fresh linens will be delivered in a bag outside your room when requested as well as fresh towels, shampoo, shower gel, lotions, soap, coffee pods, creamer, extra coffee cups etc...just call Star Service and it will be delivered in a bag and hung on your door.

Everything seems very well thought out and running smoothly.

After I was settled in room It was time to hit the parks.

I went to Universal a Studios and then decided it was lunch time although a little late for lunch. I was near Lombards and decided to have lunch there. When I walked in the guy at the counter said, I see your an AP holder (I wear a lanyard). He told me the upstairs dining room was specifically designated for AP holders during AP appreciation days and to the upstairs dining room I went.

I was the only one there.

View attachment 529544

I had the fish tacos and they were very good. The clouds opened up and it started pouring outside. I was happy to be inside for sure.

After I finished lunch and the rain had subsided I ventured out to go to one of my favorite places Diagon Alley. No matter how many times I walk through the wall into Diagon Alley and see the Dragon on top of Gringotts bank I’am always amazed. It’s fun watching other people waiting for the Dragon to breath fire for the first time. I remember timing it once and the Dragon breathed fire every 10 minutes. I have heard it can vary between 10 to 15 minutes. You can hear it churning up before it goes so keep those cameras ready.

View attachment 529755

View attachment 529756
The park was closing at five so I decided to take the Hogwarts Express over to IOA. It was not busy at all. Once you reach the platform you see there are distancing markers on the floor to keep everyone spaced apart. Once you reach the roll assignment the TM squirts some had sanitizer in your hand and then tells you which row to stand in.

I looked over once I was in my row and saw a fellow SANS thread poster Lynne in the distance. We were boarding and once I was in my compartment I texted her. Lynne, my younger sister K and myself were in one of Macs VIP RIP Tours together 3 years ago at HHN. It was a haunted house evening full of fun. If you are a fan of haunted houses you would love HHN.

We met up after the train unloaded. It was so nice to see her again. We walked over to Kong and basically walked on. Again the TM’s squirt hand sanitizer in your hand and then you are assigned a row to stand In until you board the the ride. I really like Kong. One of my favorite things to do is remove the 3D glasses at the end and look at the huge Kong head. The animatronics are awesome.

After this ride it was time to leave the park and head back to Resort. Lynne and I parted ways once we returned to Resort and I was ready for a shower and a rest. It was hot and muggy and I was looking forward to getting into the air conditioning and removing my mask.

I have seen people on the boards asking about wearing the masks in the heat. My answer is, you get used to it.

Take breaks from wearing the masks in the assigned areas in the park, drink plenty of fluids. There are cups of ice water for free in the parks.

To be continued.
Really enjoyed finding your trip report!!!! Fantastic pictures!!!!
jump00

I really enjoyed my time just walking around and taking pictures.

It was pleasant out today with a mild breeze. It was 67 when I left the resort so I had a light sweat shirt on and a short sleeve shirt underneath. That way when the sun intensified and the temps rose I could shed the sweatshirt.

The park was not very busy. When I make that analogy I’am basing it on my two experiences being there during sold out MNSSHP.

Everyone seemed to be happy to be there, but it looked like everyone was in line for the rides. There is no fast pass plus at this time and the lines were long.

I decided to go to Liberty Square Market and sample the Constance’s For Better or For Worse Cake.

4CF6E006-91E2-4317-85D1-32097EB13329.jpeg

027DD03D-46D4-4062-BE18-E0865E887400.jpeg

It was pretty tasty. It had a very light frosting with a citrus flavored cake and raspberry mouse and a chocolate candy axe on top. It was a nice light dessert. It was not overly sweet.

To back track a little...,,during MNSSHP there are Halloween inspired foods and desserts offered and a map of were to find them.

They had some Halloween foods and desserts on offer, but nothing like when there is the full MNSSHP. Which understandably had been cancelled.

There was Halloween merchandise for sell, but again nothing like when the full MNSSHP is going.

During MNSSHP they have a Sanderson Sister show as well as the Disney Villains and Oogie Boogie on the Castle stage. It is a fun show to watch.

My sisters like Hocus Pocus and I do to. We all have laughed about it and said we should go as the Sanderson Sisters one year. They have already decided who will be who. My younger blond sister will be Sarah Sanderson, older sister Mary Sanderson and they assigned me Winifred “Winnie” Sanderson........I might be game, but I’am not wearing the wig or the long two front teeth....LOLLLLLLL

7549FDC6-5FB8-4301-B867-FD3A671EB780.jpeg

My younger sister asked me to look for some Sanderson Sister merchandise and usually during MNSSHP they have a lot of it, but I only found a Sanderson Sister/Thackery Binx coffee mug. It is cute. The handle is his cat tail.

7B902EFD-8289-4AF4-B470-B0DE5593EFAB.jpeg
I bought a couple of them.

For those who love the Sanderson Sisters Loungefly is coming out with a backpack. WITCH (couldn’t help myself) if I remember correctly is coming out sometime later this month or next month.

To be continued

Last edited:
I ate twice at Finnegan this week and great food and service this week

Mac...I have not eaten there yet this trip. I will make sure to stop for a meal there.

I remember when you and I were sitting in Finnegan’s eating dinner during HHN one year when and the Purge Scare Zone was located around Finnegan’s. We were sitting right by the window and a scare actor came up and banged on the window and stuck his face on the glass. I almost fell off my chair........LOL

It was funny watching the new unsuspecting diners get scared by him.

Thursday, October 1st continued.

After walking around for awhile I decided I would try and do lunch at Be Our Guest restaurant. I did not have a reservation so this was a toss up.

A3176FD2-FC40-41D3-A9A7-3060DBCFE792.jpeg

They were not busy and they were taking walk up diners.

This was my third time eating here. I had eaten here with my younger sister and niece 2016 during MNSSHP and my older sister last year during MNSSHP.

In 2016 you could order anything off the menu as you wanted. I’am not sure when they started the price fix meal exactly. I know it was in place last year.

On the price fix meal you choose your appetizer, your entree and the dessert is a sampling.

The tables were not a problem and are distant enough from each other.

I had a nice private space in the corner.

ADF68C99-1EF6-4E85-98E2-3E7A43ACD664.jpeg

I chose the lobster bisque for my appetizer. it was good. I had the Filet mignon for my entree. It was served with a smear of mashed potatoes and 4 French green beans. They also serve warm bread and butter with the meal. . The portions were very small, but everything was good. The steak was cooked to perfection and was delicious.

I’am not a fan of big portion meals so I was fine with the small portion servings, but a man with a big appetite might not be sated with this meal.

Also at $ 62.00 plus drink and tax per person this would be hard on the pocket books of large families. That being said if this is your once in a lifetime vacation go for it.

The food is good and the atmosphere is pretty magical. The Beast comes out for a walk around the dining room at various times.

Here is the dessert sampling.
A08005E0-6296-4151-8C3D-2E5F1E0D4BE9.jpeg

Truffle on the left was to hard to eat. Grey stuff in white chocolate cup was like eating frosting I could only taste a bit of it. The macaroon with the raspberry mouse was very good.

There are three dining rooms. I was in the ballroom.

Ballroom ceiling pictures

F5BB44F4-56DA-4CEB-9ACE-320C33C6A0F6.jpeg

BCDD0442-C046-4ECD-8ECD-5C88156BC254.jpeg

ThIs West Wing Dining room
C6E8F8DC-67D2-4958-B67D-70040C6064BE.jpeg

1FB0E826-D291-4E20-9A56-6B70F3FABB93.jpeg

The Rose Gallery dining room
A449A97B-9490-4F24-BFC4-B050002D04F8.jpeg

E4D92330-9FE3-4207-A2F4-357B5236A758.jpeg

After lunch I did some shopping for the Disney
fans in the family.

My younger sister says, The Magic Kingdom is her happy place. I get it. It is pretty magical.

The hike from the parking lot at ticket and transportation to the Monorail or boat is a good one. Then after a day of some walking and with a shopping bag in hand it was daunting on the way back.

I did not remember seeing any rest areas for removing masks.

I saw a couple of these in the areas of the park I visited.

77318BBE-CC69-4175-95C4-B2BAAAB3954C.jpeg

They did have distancing markings on the ground for stores and rides.

I did not hike the whole park as I knew I needed to
Save my legs for the hike back to the boat and parking lot.

If you have problems with your legs make sure to rest as needed. You will be doing a lot of walking to get to the park and lots of walking inside the park and the hike back to the boat or monorail to get to parking lot

Universal is very close and easy to navigate. You need to make sure you have fresh legs for Magic Kingdom if you go.

I was ready to put the air on in the car and take my mask off.

I went back to RPR and unloaded any plastic things I had bought from the SUV. Didn’t want the heat to alter them.

That reminds me of a comedy skit Dana Carrey did when his son asked him for a toy. He said you know that’s a cheap piece of plastic right. I know some of the things I bought are plastic too, but the smiles on the faces of the receiving parties will be worth every penny.

I headed back to my room at RPR for a nice shower and a nap.

Last edited:
Friday, October 2nd

Today the plan was just to meander to the parks and wonder around. I did want to get into the Tribute Store today as I had heard it is hard to get into on the weekend.

As I have gotten older I tend to dawdle more in the morning so I tried to get motivated to move quicker this morning.

Quick shower and out the door I went.

Stopped for my coffee at Starbucks in CityWalk

Pumpkin Cream cold brew. In celebration of all things pumpkin during the season.
10E70B28-E7A8-476E-B310-57E655D5EC77.jpeg

Then onto the Studios.

I took a picture of a very large shark.
0388BCE8-B5E6-4A34-8651-7B465E493ABE.jpeg

I do miss the Jaws ride.

Then on to Diagon Alley. The entrance to Diagon Alley is not marked as it is not supposed to be like in the movie. Have people walked past and missed the entrance....,,yep..,.,,I know someone who did. We had a good laugh about it when she told me.
241C7C34-CB18-450B-9B8A-C6D96D4D3370.jpeg

444FC06E-0E0B-4D9D-BFD0-0224D03323EB.jpeg

I always stop to listen for the bricks to move when I go in.

I looked at the Dragon on Gringotts. This has to be the most photographed place in Diagon Alley.
The markings on the Dragon are so incredible and life like. Universal did an incredible job with Diagon Alley and Knockturn Alley. It is amazing.
B273A822-33AF-4CBB-BCC6-01074B90290B.jpeg

Then stopped at The Hopping Pot for a Fishy Green Ale. There is something weirdly interesting about this drink. The blueberry boba (fish eggs) are tasty. The flavor is a mix of mint and cinnamon. I like it.

E0BFA537-B1FD-47D1-A10A-1D28ECCA59E6.jpeg

A quick walk through Madam Malkin’s robe shop.
74D94973-04B9-47C3-AFC7-9FF8A2975334.jpeg

A walk into Knockturn Alley. I love it in there.
Then out of Diagon Alley.

Then onto the Tribute Store

B7ECAAA5-A5C0-4A17-9116-3AC1B07681F9.jpeg

Last edited:
8F4DFE9A-D387-40A3-BBD8-A85D839BCB01.jpeg

D464D2AB-6DBF-4DCD-A553-C2B918B13AD6.jpeg

F4D1CD6A-036C-4E08-A0F5-C83BF0EEDBA3.jpeg

After the Tribute Store I caught the Hogwarts Express at King’s Cross Station. Walked through the wall and onto Platform 9 3/4.
8636CF92-1FE4-45D5-A253-307C8D99E048.jpeg

Since I was traveling solo I had a train compartment to myself.

After I arrived in Hogsmeade I made my way out and onto lunch at Mytho’s.
2E58F359-FFF9-467D-B437-932EA3C85743.jpeg
I did not have a reservation. I waited 5 minutes and was seated. Food and service was good.

After lunch I headed out of the park and back to the Resort. I was ready for a rest.

Later in the evening. I went to CityWalk in search of a light dinner and settled on Fusion Bistro Sushi.

I had the crunchy crab sushi. It was very tasty.

Then after dinner I caught the water taxi back to the Resort showered and went to bed.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter