You Down With OOP? Ya, you know me. Poly Club Level - All Girls Trip - Labor Day '15 UPDATED 7/25

BlondeAppetit

DIS Veteran
Well...hello, y'all! :wave:

:tink:This is my very first pre-trip report!

First and foremost, I am super excited to travel to Walt Disney World
for an extended Labor Day weekend later this year!

So...last September I went to back to Disney World for the first time since 1984! I won't be the first to say that A LOT has changed since then! To start with, I was in the 2nd grade and Epcot had recently opened. I LOVED Figment and the Fox in Pinocchio gave me a bouquet of balloons during the parade. We stayed at the Hilton, rode the monorail, and enjoyed a character meal on the Empress Lilly. And I LOVED the It's A Small World ride. This was truly a once in a lifetime trip for this little girl from Connecticut.

Fast forward to 2014. We are planning our daughter's 5th birthday trip of a lifetime (or what will most likely become the first of MANY!). We live in South Carolina and surprised our daughter at school by announcing that we had the car packed and were leaving right then to drive to Disney World! This time we stayed at the Contemporary. Had the deluxe dining plan (an add-on to free dining!). A pre-park opening Bippity Boppity Boutique appointment. MNSSHP tickets, plus the Villain's Sinister Soiree. Frozen Dessert party. And ended our trip with a Perfectly Princess Tea Party. It was a princess trip on steroids. We ate at some awesome restaurants - Jiko and California Grill. Experienced the Hoop Dee Doo Revue. And we enjoyed the pool
way more than I could have imagined.

10636068_10152648404616168_4080316501694128704_n.jpg

I did it all for a bargin (which I love!). And found the whole process to be thrilling! The planning. The researching. The timing of meals before the park opens. Learning about new events on the DIS before the general public. Reading restaurant reviews and more!

I officially became a little addicted!

After our trip, I could not wait to plan our next one. So, I did. This time both of our girls would travel with us - Lily, age 6 and Annie, age 2.

Unfortunately, my husband could not travel for my desired dates. Darn NASCAR race. (Seriously!)
I get it...I get it. The Darlington race has become a bit of a boys weekend ritual.
However, I didn't cancel my trip.

Then it dawned on me. Why don't I ask my mom to go with me!!!

:cheer2:GIRLS TRIP!!! :cheer2:

I immediately revised all of our dining plans. We will be staying Club Level at the Poly, so we won't be needing large breakfasts and could possibly snack for our dinner from the lounge and grab a light bite later in the parks. I am a bit of a foodie, so I want to try lots of new places on this trip!

No dining plan. All meals will be Out Of Pocket.

We will also have a 2 year old with us. That is a bit of a game changer. Mid-day breaks. More pool time. This trip will be at a slower pace than our last one. The difference excites me!

Today, our trip is 150 days away!

I truly cannot wait for our trip! I hope that you enjoy this ride with me!

Maybe some of you will be traveling at the same time
or have a girls trip that you recently went on or are planning in the future! I would love to hear your advice!

It's a small world after y'all!

This is me!

Lisa

10406644_10153155285996168_522060511585525060_n.jpg

My Mom - Patricia

10552556_10152526496711168_690527290000203433_n.jpg

Lily - age 6 at the time of the trip

10407413_10153140935941168_8628382285222987117_n.jpg

Annie - age 2 at the time of the trip

11076267_10153146437686168_7135281547645390546_n.jpg

Up next - Trip Plans and ADRS!

Last edited:
The Bane of My Existence - ADRS!

I have a love/hate relationship with booking dining reservations.
I obsess about it. However, I like to think that I do so in a good way!

One thing that excited me about this trip was trying new places and keeping with a "girlie" theme.

I am more carefully planning our ADR times with a two year old. Plus, we will be on Club Level, so while that is not important enough to completely modify our plans, I would like to take advantage of the amenities.

We will be taking it slower this trip with two little ones and a 70-something grandmother. My mom would prefer not to have early more ADRs and I do not want anything too late or too complicated with a toddler. Early lunches seem ideal.

984204_10152643330711168_6021394926645538445_n.jpg

Here is my initial plan.

I have extreme confidence that this will change slightly. The most recent change has been that we will now have park hoppers, as my mom qualifies for the military tickets. (Saving us close to $500! Score!)

Again, I appreciate any and all advice!

Thursday

Drive down from SC, arrive about 3pm. Check in to Poly.

Head to Downtown Disney.

5:45pm - Raglan Road
We have not eaten here before and it receives great reviews. In addition to liking the menu, I thought that the girls would enjoy the entertainment and my mother did Irish Step as a little girl.

Head back to resort, shower, pjs, possibly fireworks from the CL lounge, bed!

Friday

Breakfast - CL

Head to Magic Kingdom

11:10am - Be Our Guest

Head back to Poly to rest and pool time.

Snacks and evening apps on Club Level.

Casual dinner at Columbia Harbour House

Saturday

Breakfast - CL

Head to Epcot

11:55am - Akershus
My mom is Swedish and the menu appeals to her, as well as my daughters will enjoy seeing the princesses.
We have done this meal before.

Possibly take a mid-day break.

6:30pm - Via Napoli
My family is Sicilian and my mom's husband was born in Italy. I figured we could share pizza. I would love to try the melon and prosciutto one! Yum! This meal really interested my mom.

Sunday

Breakfast - CL

Head to Hollywood Studios.

I am stumped here. I thought about taking the boat to BC for Beaches and Cream and then considered heading to Epcot instead for Via Napoli (and cancel our dinner ressie) and to explore a bit, but I received feedback that it would be too much. Thoughts?

Thought we could take a mid-day break and eat QS at Poly. Swim, rest. Snack on dinner time apps on CL and then head back to HS for the Frozen evening entertainment, fireworks. My littlest one can sleep in a jogging stroller, if neccessary.

or

Ohana at 5:15pm

Monday

Breakfast - CL

Head to Animal Kingdom

Lunch - QS such as Flame Tree BBQ

Mid-day - back to Poly to rest/swim.

5:10pm - Ohana
Thought this could be a special last night meal or would you do this on your HS day? and add a Tusker House or Yaki and Yeti lunch or something?

Head to MK for rides and nighttime entertainment.

Tuesday

Check out from Poly.

11am - 1900 Park Fare
I love Mary Poppins and I like the mix of characters for the girls. Thought my little one would enjoy Pooh and Tigger.

Drive home.

Last edited:
Decisions. Decisions.

I need help with ADRs on my Hollywood Studios Day.

This trip is as much for my mom as it is for my kids.

I want to pick meals that would be special to her, as well as appealing and entertaining for little girls.

Should we do 50's Prime Time Cafe for lunch on our Hollywood Studios Day?

My mom grew up in Hartford, CT and graduated from high school in 1960.

Would this be right up her alley?

What are your favorite things to order?

HELP! :confused3

WPuck-AK-DHS-Cupcakes-533.jpg

Military Promotional Tickets

Who loves to save money?

Me! pixiedust:

On our last Disney trip, I was able to really maximize our budget by capitalizing on the opportunity to add the deluxe dining plan to free dining and by switching resorts when MNSSHP was announced, so that we could stay two extra nights. We also stayed in a value resort on our travel night. We happened to live within driving distance, so that is another added value.

This time around I knew that I wanted to travel during the same time of year - early September. The prices were great and the crowds were low. Plus, we could take advantage of having Labor Day weekend off of work and school. I also have been putting lots on our Disney Visa and paying it off each month. Plus, due to a nice tax refund check, I was able to put a little into savings for the balance of the trip.

I booked a Poly Club Level room and opted not to do the dining plan. Since we will be traveling with a toddler, I am going to limit my ADRs this time around. In addition, I wanted to try a new touring style.

Well, little did I know when I originally planned the trip, but we would end up with an extra saving opportunity.

My mom is a military spouse. My stepfather is a retired Colonel in the U.S. Army.

I checked the room-only rate for our trip and by taking advantage of the 4-day military promotional tickets, we can save over $500! Plus, we get an extra park day, plus the park hopper!

Thank you, Disney! Thank you, mom!

military-ticket_thumb.jpg

UPDATE - MORE ADRs!

I am out of control!!! :rainbow:

I recently added a Tusker House lunch to the mix!

We really enjoyed our Donald's Safari breakfast last year. The characters. The SERVICE! The atmosphere! The food!!!

I have been wanting to try the lunch menu - plus the more exotic dishes appeal to myself and my mom. I also thought that it would be a nice, cool break in the day. One final important reason - Mickey Mouse!

This is my new ADR list:

Thursday:
DTD

Raglan Road dinner

Friday:
Magic Kingdom

Be Our Guest lunch

Saturday:
Epcot

Akershus lunch (earliest seating)

Via Napoli dinner

Sunday:
HS

50s Prime Time Cafe lunch

Monday:
Animal Kingdom, hop to MK after dinner

Tusker House lunch (early)

Ohana dinner

Tuesday:

1900 Park Fare breakfast (late)

Please share with me your thoughts!

Last edited:
Out of Pocket Dining Costs - Tentative

I am all about maximizing my budget. Since we have one traveler under the age of 3, we are already saving a little $$$ on dining. Also, by paying out of pocket, we can share meals, or appetizers as entrees, etc. to save money as well.
One other tip is that sometimes breakfasts and lunches don't vary to much in price at the buffets, and you get a whole lot more bang for your buck at lunch with potential appetizers, entrees, and desserts than you would for just eggs and waffles.

Thursday:
DTD

Raglan Road dinner
- $75
I can see us sharing the sampler platter and an entree, plus a kids meal.
Plus entertainment. This does not include a few adult beverages.:banana:

Friday:
Magic Kingdom

Be Our Guest lunch - $45
Two lunch entrees, plus a kids meal and a cupcake.

Saturday:
Epcot

Akershus lunch (earliest seating) - $120 appx.
Appetizer, entree, dessert, and drink.
Plus, princesses!!!princess:princess:princess:princess:princess:

Via Napoli dinner
Sharing a pizza (the melon and prosciutto one!) and a kids meal - $50

Sunday:
HS

50s Prime Time Cafe lunch - $40
Most likely share the sampler meal and a kids meal, plus a milkshake.

Monday:
Animal Kingdom, hop to MK after dinner

Tusker House breakfast/lunch - $85
(10:50am, last seating before lunch, breakfast prices) ::MickeyMo

Ohana dinner - $105
Fun experience, appetizers, entrees, drink, and dessert.

Tuesday:

1900 Park Fare breakfast (late) - $75
Great buffet selection for breakfast/brunch - Bananas Foster pancakes, Smoked Salmon, Ham, Lobster Benedict, strawberry soup, bread pudding, and more. Plus characters! pooh:

Total OOP = appx. $595 for two adults and two children, one under the age of 3.

Not too shabby! Let's see how many $$$ I can convert from my Disney Visa!

:jumping1:

Disney Trip Treasure Chest

Another way that I like to save a little money is to create a "treasure chest" prior to my trip.

I collect things for months before my trip - pjs, t-shirts, small gifts, etc.

I frequently visit the Disney Store online, Target, Old Navy and when I see something cute on sale, I snag it.

My goal is to find a few special outfits for the trip, plus each day I like to leave a "Tinkerbell" gift for each girl - hinting to the days activities and rewarding them for their good behavior the day before.

We drive down from SC, so I like to create a travel bag with coloring books, etc.

Today I discovered this cute nightgown for only $6.99. If they only had it in a size 2, as well. Alas!

I am going to force my kiddos to match or "compliment" each other as long as I can!

1743519_10152765497386168_7702174577683629988_n.jpg

Thank you! Your trip is in less than two months! Jealous!!!!
I know... I am beyond ready for this trip!! And I hopefully have another trip in the making for June 2016 too! :offtopic:

Time flies by quickly though!! Will you be visiting any of the water parks or just the 4 main theme?? :) :cool1:

I'm totally on-board with your PTR! I love how your level of OMGSOEXCITED comes out in your writing. I can get down with that. :goodvibes

I'm in South Carolina, too! AND I'm a travel agent who works in a military base travel agency, so if you have any questions about those military promotional tickets, let me know. I know them inside and out. :cutie:

I think you're very smart to take advantage of that CL lounge as much as possible. I most definitely would, if it were me! :thumbsup2

Oh, and you should know... Your thread title is what got me here. I cracked up laughing and even had to read it outloud... to the rhythm of the song... dropped my voice low and everything... Suddenly had flashbacks of middle school dances, too... :lmao:

Last edited:
I know... I am beyond ready for this trip!! And I hopefully have another trip in the making for June 2016 too! :offtopic:

Time flies by quickly though!! Will you be visiting any of the water parks or just the 4 main theme?? :) :cool1:

How fun! I would love to travel in early December sometime - stay at Wilderness Lodge and do all of the fun holiday activities! That may be my 2016 trip to plan!

We are only going to the 4 main parks. Originally we were going to go to Blizzard Beach one day but since we qualified for the military promotional tickets, which give us a four day park pass plus a hopper (we could upgrade but decided not to this time), we are just going to take advantage of the new pool at the Polynesian.

Will you be going to the water parks? I would love to try them sometime!

I'm totally on-board with your PTR! I love how your level of OMGSOEXCITED comes out in your writing. I can get down with that. :goodvibes

I'm in South Carolina, too! AND I'm a travel agent who works in a military base travel agency, so if you have any questions about those military promotional tickets, let me know. I know them inside and out. :cutie:

I think you're very smart to take advantage of that CL lounge as much as possible. I most definitely would, if it were me! :thumbsup2

Oh, and you should know... Your thread title is what got me here. I cracked up laughing and even had to read it outloud... to the rhythm of the song... dropped my voice and have everything... Suddenly had flashbacks of middle school dances, too... :lmao:

Where in SC do you live?

Yes...we are going to try and eat breakfast there daily - maybe try Kona one morning, and of course enjoy the snacks and such. I would love to try and eat the evening apps as much as possible. Plus with little kids, we may not be able to hang in the parks super late. Thought we could shower, put on PJs, and enjoy the fireworks and an adult beverage or two in the lounge.

We have never done CL before, so I am excited.

Ha! Thank you for enjoying my post title. I have my 20 year high school reunion this year! I cannot believe it! Yes, it reminds me of school dances too!

BTW - I totally enjoyed reading your trip/dining report from your September vacation. I recognized you immediately! :)

Last edited:
Where in SC do you live?
I'm in Beaufort. How about you? :cutie:

Ha! Thank you for enjoying my post title. I have my 20 year high school reunion this year! I cannot believe it! Yes, it reminds me of school dances too!
Oh god, mine is in just 3 years, so I can totally relate! :eek:

BTW - I totally enjoyed reading your trip/dining report from your September vacation. I recognized you immediately! :)
Awww! :blush: That's so flattering, thank you!

In other news, I had a thought about your trip... Now that your Mom is joining you, did you also check into military discounts at the resort? At the Poly, the discount is a whopping 40% for military, and if she qualifies for the tickets, then she qualifies for the room discount too! Of course it's based on availability, so if you haven't already, I would highly recommend calling to see if they can do it. :thumbsup2

EDIT: I hope you don't mind, but I'm nosy as heck, so I just now called in on the travel agent line to inquire. And YES, the military 40% discount is still currently available as of this morning for Sept. 3-8, Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, Club Level, in the following room types:

CL Garden View: $2,137.09
CL Lagoon View: $2,664.92
CL Theme Park View: $2,817.49

Hope this helps!!! :goodvibes

Last edited:
How fun! I would love to travel in early December sometime - stay at Wilderness Lodge and do all of the fun holiday activities! That may be my 2016 trip to plan!

We are only going to the 4 main parks. Originally we were going to go to Blizzard Beach one day but since we qualified for the military promotional tickets, which give us a four day park pass plus a hopper (we could upgrade but decided not to this time), we are just going to take advantage of the new pool at the Polynesian.

Will you be going to the water parks? I would love to try them sometime!

I would also love to go during Christmas time. It's on my bucket list. We've gone in Feb., May., and now June so I'm hoping we're just making out way down the months!! :rotfl: I also REALLY want to make it down there one October for MNSSHP and see all the decorations then too.

We went to the water parks back in 2009 but we just stuck with the regular park hopper option this time around. However, when we get there and we are reallllly wanting to go we will just go buy a one day ticket.
If you have never been though, you should know they are both phenomenal. I personally enjoyed BB more then TL. :beach:

I'm in Beaufort. How about you? :cutie:

Oh god, mine is in just 3 years, so I can totally relate! :eek:

Awww! :blush: That's so flattering, thank you!

In other news, I had a thought about your trip... Now that your Mom is joining you, did you also check into military discounts at the resort? At the Poly, the discount is a whopping 40% for military, and if she qualifies for the tickets, then she qualifies for the room discount too! Of course it's based on availability, so if you haven't already, I would highly recommend calling to see if they can do it. :thumbsup2

EDIT: I hope you don't mind, but I'm nosy as heck, so I just now called in on the travel agent line to inquire. And YES, the military 40% discount is still currently available as of this morning for Sept. 3-8, Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, Club Level, in the following room types:

CL Garden View: $2,137.09
CL Lagoon View: $2,664.92
CL Theme Park View: $2,817.49

Hope this helps!!! :goodvibes

That was so considerate of you to pull those quotes! And yes, we had taken advantage of those great savings! Can you believe the 40% off discount! I had gone with the garden view room, but the theme park view for $2800 is so tempting.

That was so considerate of you to pull those quotes! And yes, we had taken advantage of those great savings! Can you believe the 40% off discount! I had gone with the garden view room, but the theme park view for $2800 is so tempting.
GREAT! I'm so glad to hear this! :thumbsup2 Yes, Disney's military room rates are amazing. I'm utilizing them to get 35% off for my stay at POFQ (in 12 days, woo!), but am going to pass on them for my December trip, I think. We want to do Art of Animation in the Little Mermaid rooms, which aren't included in any discounts. :(

Where in South Carolina are you, if I may ask? :cutie:

FROZEN SUMMER LIVE PREMIUM PACKAGE

10636298_10152655711531168_5721964998873776638_n.jpg

Well....this was announced today. My first thought was - should we do it?

Truthfully, I have been more interested in finding out the times of the two parades and if there was going to be a surprise character meal.

We will be visiting the very last weekend, so I pulled the trigger and booked it. Since it is like a dining reservation, I knew that I could cancel it if I changed my mind. What if Disney announces that Olaf will be at the dessert party!!??!!! (High hopes?)

We were super excited last year when the party was extended into the weekends during September. I was heartbroken and almost rescheduled my trip last year because we were going the very next weekend after it had originally planned to conclude.
And then it rained. A LOT. It was okay. My daughter thought it was great.

So....

To go or not to go.
Or do I just let it go.
:rotfl2:

Not that funny. I know.

10615977_10152655712386168_769321384120104203_n.jpg

What are your thoughts?

This is an out of pocket trip for dining and I am trying to not go overboard with reservations. So far, so good.

Is this sugar covered marshmallow really worth $177? Now pretend you are six years old.

10520845_10152655712611168_8938549932705158655_n.jpg

Is this sugar covered marshmallow really worth $177? Now pretend you are six years old.
I say yes, but it's not much a stretch for me to pretend I'm 6 years old mentally. I'm also REALLY REALLY irresponsible about things that involve food, so maybe I'm the worst person to advise you. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter