Zootopia is a hit!

That is totally the definition of a political agenda!

Perhaps I didn't pick the right word to describe their intentions (not a native English speaker). The fact is that we live in a society that is full of prejudice and intolerance. If people don't want to deal with social issues when watching their Disney movies that's fine, but the fact is that the film has a message that both children and adults have to hear. It's a perfectly appropriate film for the time frame in which it is being released.

Last edited:
You are mistaking your opinion for "facts". Facts are apolitical. "The Broncos won the Superbowl " is a fact. Nobody can disagree with it.

Any commentary on "equality" is an opinion because you can't prove its "rightness" or "wrongness".

Everything that's not a fact is an opinion, and all opinions can be politicized. It's the crazy world we live in.

Shoot, even the weather is political now.

Last edited:

Cant wait to see it, in the uk we have to wait till the end of March, why o why Disney do you have differing release dates.

Honestly I didn't come out of that movie with the thought that anything was majorly political. The movie was well done and had a good message. When you have a movie about a metropolis society where animals act as humans I don't think it's possible to avoid politics.

I hope this is a sign of good things to come from the future. The younger generation not viewing race/gender as a political issue is a step forward in my opinion. It isn't political. It may be a social issue, but I think politics and social issues can actually be separate.

You are mistaking your opinion for "facts". Facts are apolitical. "The Broncos won the Superbowl " is a fact. Nobody can disagree with it.

Any commentary on "equality" is an opinion because you can't prove its "rightness" or "wrongness".

Everything that's not a fact is an opinion, and all opinions can be politicized. It's the crazy world we live in.

Shoot, even the weather is political now.

So you're basically asking for a movie where no one has an opinion on anything...

We saw it Friday and loved it! So funny! Hubby and I really liked it, so much so that I said I'd go see it again before it leaves theaters.

I saw two movies this past weekend: "Zootopia" and "Race." One was well done commentary, and the other was ham-handed. Race was uplifting, reminding us of how far we've come yet with some missteps along the way. Zootopia asks for the impossible, and wants it both ways. It's ok to make fun of government workers? More than anything though, I just want to know when I'm going to hear a sermon, you know? Sometimes I just want to see a song and dance and be entertained.

The fact that a movie that actually has a decent moral or ethical message nowadays about respect turns into a debate over it being too "political" and that people would honestly take offense at such a message being promoted just shows how necessary and timely it was. We can only hope more people watch it AGAIN. *smh*

I saw two movies this past weekend: "Zootopia" and "Race." One was well done commentary, and the other was ham-handed. Race was uplifting, reminding us of how far we've come yet with some missteps along the way. Zootopia asks for the impossible, and wants it both ways. It's ok to make fun of government workers? More than anything though, I just want to know when I'm going to hear a sermon, you know? Sometimes I just want to see a song and dance and be entertained.

The fact that a movie that actually has a decent moral or ethical message nowadays about respect turns into a debate over it being too "political" and that people would honestly take offense at such a message being promoted just shows how necessary and timely it was. We can only hope more people watch it AGAIN. *smh*

I saw the movie over the weekend and was definitely rooting for it to do well...and I certainly was more entertained by it than I was by "Inside Out", which bored me to tears.

I think there is a place for both types of movies, I don't think everything has to have an underlying message or greater purpose. Sometimes a move is just a movie and a way to escape for a few hours (I was the first one to stand in line for"Ant-Man" and the "Minions" movie).

Sometimes, a movie can be a vehicle to express the feelings and concerns of us as part of a greater society. The interesting thing about this film is that the story was only solidified about a year ago and the release just happens to coincide with some real life situations we are seeing play out before us on a large (some would even say...Presidential) scale.

In my opinion, Zootopia manages to do both in a way that is accessible to adults and children alike, and still be entertaining. I haven't seen "Race" but the subject matter, historically speaking is no song and dance. I need to put it on my list..I like historical dramas.

That being said I would rather take a film like "Zootopia" over some of the films I saw trailers for prior to the movie, which by the way contained at least one bodily fluid joke each....

Maybe that's a thing for some people...I don't get it.

If you think that, I can't even imagine what the reception of Bambi would be like today.

Well considering how upset a certain segment of our population was over "Horton Hears a Who" a decade ago I'd imagine any movie would cause an uproar somewhere. If people can be offended by "A person's a person no matter how small" then I guess people can be offended by anything.

Liberals and Republicans can both be offended by "all people deserve respect" statements in movies, depending on which political issue the movie is referring to.

Back on topic: I'm just saying that movie-makers should leave all statements of "respect each other" out of their movies to avoid offending half the population. Zootopia's message of "all animals deserve respect and all animals can do anything regardless of their size" can be deemed offensive to some people, just like Horton's "a person's a person no matter how small" was offensive to some people. Movie makers (particularly for family movies) need to leave the social commentary to others and stick to writing non-offensive movies for everyone: like The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

Last edited:
Broke the Disney opening weekend record. $73 million.

WOW. That surpises me. We went. It was okay. It was cute, kids enjoyed it, I'm sure they'll want to buy it... but I definitely wouldn't consider it a great movie. But everyone likes different things.

We are however, REALLY looking forward to The Jungle Book, Pete's Dragon and Finding Dory.

WOW. That surpises me. We went. It was okay. It was cute, kids enjoyed it, I'm sure they'll want to buy it... but I definitely wouldn't consider it a great movie. But everyone likes different things.

We are however, REALLY looking forward to The Jungle Book, Pete's Dragon and Finding Dory.
I am also looking forward to those but those are all remakes or sequels. I like original stories from Disney. And actually it finished the weekend higher than the projections with 75 million.

I'm neutral on Jungle Book for now, but the Pete's Dragon trailer actively turned me off that movie.

Here's a political question -- I want to know why there were no fish or birds in this movie! #FishAreFriendsNotFood

Because the predators have to eat something. ;)

Seriously, every time I read a comment about, "What do the predators eat? Tofu?" my reaction is, "Chicken nuggets and sushi."

Doesn't address the political question, but...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter