2018 Princess Half Marathon

Hi all! I would love to do the GSC (or Fairy Tale Challenge now?) for 2018! I've never registered for a RunDisney race before. I'm prepared to be online 15 minutes prior, etc. but I have a question. I know DVC/AP can register early...is it moreso just that those people have access? So - I work with someone that is both. Is it possible for her to register me via her access or does the registration have to match the DVC/AP person's name that logged in? If this isn't kosher - then I won't do it...just wondering! I sadly have to travel the day of the actual registration, so I will just need some extra planning!

Just finished this year's 5K and hoping to sign up for the challenge next year! I always wanted to do the Goofy Challenge the year I was 40 (I turn 40 in March this year, so I was planning on 2018), but I now have 3 kids 6 and under and training for a full is not in the cards. I'm thinking the Princess weekend distances will be more manageable, but I guess we'll see!

My cousin loved the 10k so much she really wants me to go again with her next year. And she wants to do the challenge. So...ok. I'm in.

Not sure about the 5k too though. On one hand if you're fully trained it's like a shakeout run. It if you've been sidelined by injuries and aren't fully trained like me, it's all one big long slow slog. Hmm.

But if I'm doing that then I'm doing tink, too. Darn pink medal ribbon.

I'm in for the GSC or whatever they plan to call it. Probably in for the 5K too.

I know DVC/AP can register early...is it moreso just that those people have access? So - I work with someone that is both. Is it possible for her to register me via her access or does the registration have to match the DVC/AP person's name that logged in? If this isn't kosher - then I won't do it...just wondering!

Great question. Sadly, the short answer is Disney does not condone people signing other people up. I have run princess weekend since 2013 and my sis-in-law was a AP holder. The first year she registered me under her account along with her husband, during the early registration. We only did this because we did not know any better. Disney has been very clear in recent years they will monitor early registration and if a person outside of your central family uses your link...then both runners can lose their spot in the race weekend and more. It seems like a big risk to try and sign up early. The safest and best bet is to just be ready for signs ups at the normal registration day. I am one of those nervous wrecks counting down the seconds until noon (site use to crash with all the crazies re-re-refreshing early) and registration has been just fine. I hope this helps and good luck with your plans.

On another note...the move up of race registration dates is a bit crazy Disney. Someone could register, get pregnant and have a baby all before race weekend arrives. Craziness.

Aren't registration days usually Tuesdays? The first post lists the AP registration date for Princess 2018 as April 27, but that is a Thursday. If it is Tuesday as usual, the registration date will be April 25.

Just got back from my first Disney 5k this past Princess weekend and I too am hooked! My GF and I did the 5k together and already agreed on doing it next year with her kids and another GF. We (the adults) also committed to the 10k as well for 2018... so this crazy lady thinks... why not do them all! Especially if this is the anniversary year! Starting training now... LOL

Aren't registration days usually Tuesdays? The first post lists the AP registration date for Princess 2018 as April 27, but that is a Thursday. If it is Tuesday as usual, the registration date will be April 25.
New thing. AP is Thursday, regular is following Tuesday.

Whew. That is a relief, as I am getting back from Australia on the 25th and it would have a been a mess trying to scramble to get online to get the AP registration done right after landing. Thanks for the info.

Some FYI for everyone wanting to sign up for 2018.

I called Disney reservations to make my Resort reservations for the Princess 2018 weekend and told him what I was planning on doing with the half marathon. They transfered me over to Disney Sports Department where I was able to purchase my daughter's and I my half marathon race entries. 195 for each entry. That was the total with tax. The only catch is they said this offer ends March 5th. I will still have to enter the shirt size and that info but our spots are guaranteed.

Wow, really??? That would be awesome - do you know if can you register for the challenge as well?

Great question. Sadly, the short answer is Disney does not condone people signing other people up. I have run princess weekend since 2013 and my sis-in-law was a AP holder. The first year she registered me under her account along with her husband, during the early registration. We only did this because we did not know any better. Disney has been very clear in recent years they will monitor early registration and if a person outside of your central family uses your link...then both runners can lose their spot in the race weekend and more. It seems like a big risk to try and sign up early. The safest and best bet is to just be ready for signs ups at the normal registration day. I am one of those nervous wrecks counting down the seconds until noon (site use to crash with all the crazies re-re-refreshing early) and registration has been just fine. I hope this helps and good luck with your plans.

On another note...the move up of race registration dates is a bit crazy Disney. Someone could register, get pregnant and have a baby all before race weekend arrives. Craziness.

Thank you so much for responding! I wouldn't risk that either 8o) I'm happy to wait until the open registration day.

To help ease some of the stress about registering, most rD races aren't selling out as quickly. For awhile DL, W&D, and SH race weekends had all races available for several days.

Marathon weekend did have Dopey, the 10k, and 5k sellout quickly, but it was at least 6 hours or so before the first one did. These were usually the ones that sold out within 45 or less.

Thus I think anyone ready to go at noon, May 2nd, will not have a problem. Now I say this in hopes I too can sign my wife up for the 10k, the kids up for the mile, and myself for the challenge!

To help ease some of the stress about registering, most rD races aren't selling out as quickly. For awhile DL, W&D, and SH race weekends had all races available for several days.

Marathon weekend did have Dopey, the 10k, and 5k sellout quickly, but it was at least 6 hours or so before the first one did. These were usually the ones that sold out within 45 or less.

Thus I think anyone ready to go at noon, May 2nd, will not have a problem. Now I say this in hopes I too can sign my wife up for the 10k, the kids up for the mile, and myself for the challenge!

Thank you! That is reassuring!

Some FYI for everyone wanting to sign up for 2018.

I called Disney reservations to make my Resort reservations for the Princess 2018 weekend and told him what I was planning on doing with the half marathon. They transfered me over to Disney Sports Department where I was able to purchase my daughter's and I my half marathon race entries. 195 for each entry. That was the total with tax. The only catch is they said this offer ends March 5th. I will still have to enter the shirt size and that info but our spots are guaranteed.

I saw this posted on FB, but when I went back to find it I couldn't. If you purchase a MYW package through RunDisney they will guarantee a race entry. They will email a special link to sign up through.

I saw this posted on FB, but when I went back to find it I couldn't. If you purchase a MYW package through RunDisney they will guarantee a race entry. They will email a special link to sign up through.

do you happen to know if I can change rez down road if discount comes out, yes I'd have to call but that isn't issue.

do you happen to know if I can change rez down road if discount comes out, yes I'd have to call but that isn't issue.

The agent told me yes they would change to get the discount rate. I did not have to purchase any package of tickets since I have an AP. Also there was no dining plan requirement. Just room and race tickets.

I also know that the races are not selling out as fast too. I went this route since I cannot log into anything from a government computer. In the past I would have to leave work and head home to get on at noon.

The only Disney run for me in 2017 was this past Princess Half Weekend. Doing Dopey and Princess in 2018. Next Disney races will probably be in 2021 for Disney Worlds 50th anniversary.

62811564.jpg

Rundisney is starting to change the princess page for next year and even have the prices and registration date confirmed. Challenge is up $20 from 2017 and $35 from 2016. I know it is an anniversary year but come on rundisney. Ya well I am still in for this year.

Been meaning to post since last months race. Princess Half marathon was amazing and I'm already planning for next year (2018) and the Pixie dust challenge too!! Can't wait and learned sooooo much from the 2017 thread. Ready to get back there and have even more fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter